haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

the .49 patch on EXP is fun so far. Altho, in some specific buildings Z´sstill glitch through closed doors. It appears this only applies to a certain set of buildings. We where running in circles trying to lockup Z´s in balota and it wasent consistent with all the present housings.

Other than that...a newly resatrted EXP Server and balota was...almost empty...not much millgear...maybe a mountain pack.

Hunting Packs now spawn in Barns and deeerstands too wich is nice.

@desolance1

alpha is for implementing features rudimentary, beta is for polish and balance them, final is the best result of balancing and bugfighting.. 

we are still an alpha status, feel free to post bugs in bugtracker, the rest of data collecting is still done whole the time by the devs.

Unfortunatelly myself and many others would prefer different approach to alpha. Having played the mod for quite some time I'd say that some features are more important than others.

For example: give us working loot spawning and ballistics first. Then we have survivors looking for loot and bandits enjoying PvP. Polish it a bit and focus on zombies. Some bugfixes, while the team adds some new locations and items - not too much, we don't want to bring too many bugs. Then you can add features that used to creat the end-game: vehicles and tents in a basic form. When it starts working decently then we have the time for: fancy melee and physics, ragdoll, new zombie types, cooking, hunting, weather and temperature, equipement getting broken, adjusting weapon sway, adjusting spawns, crash sites, more complex medical system and all the other crap that is being shoved down our throats right now.

I get it, it's cool and we want to have it in the game... eventually. On top of that we're supposed to be testing all the new features. That's ok, lets test the temperature system, oh wait, bugged loot spawning, bugged zombie kills me and thousand of other bugs that have been reported long time ago but are still in and make testing of new features extremly painfull.

Unfortunatelly myself and many others would prefer different approach to alpha. Having played the mod for quite some time I'd say that some features are more important than others.

For example: give us working loot spawning and ballistics first. Then we have survivors looking for loot and bandits enjoying PvP. Polish it a bit and focus on zombies. Some bugfixes, while the team adds some new locations and items - not too much, we don't want to bring too many bugs. Then you can add features that used to creat the end-game: vehicles and tents in a basic form. When it starts working decently then we have the time for: fancy melee and physics, ragdoll, new zombie types, cooking, hunting, weather and temperature, equipement getting broken, adjusting weapon sway, adjusting spawns, crash sites, more complex medical system and all the other crap that is being shoved down our throats right now.

I get it, it's cool and we want to have it in the game... eventually. On top of that we're supposed to be testing all the new features. That's ok, lets test the temperature system, oh wait, bugged loot spawning, bugged zombie kills me and thousand of other bugs that have been reported long time ago but are still in and make testing of new features extremly painfull.

i might be oversimplifying in my example, that's probably because i by now expect everyone to understand the underlying issues.

if you build a house, you don't finish one room completely, including furniture, lamps, tapestries, rugs, pictures on the wall and plants, while the other rooms have only raw walls, no floor, no isolation, no windows. its similar in software development, computer programs are highly complex, interconnected structures, you work many vectors simultaneously so it all connects and works together once its finished

• Like 2

Was there just a reset? I was playing on Aus/NZ1 when the 5 min warning comes up, so I keep going until I get session lost. Server restarts, I log back in as a Bambi on the Beach. So I log right out and right back in, same-o, Bambi on the beach, log right back out and into a different server. Still a Bambi. What the hell just happened? I was in the middle of no where, no zeds or people. I don't get it.

i might be oversimplifying in my example, that's probably because i by now expect everyone to understand the underlying issues.

if you build a house, you don't finish one room completely, including furniture, lamps, tapestries, rugs, pictures on the wall and plants, while the other rooms have only raw walls, no floor, no isolation, no windows. its similar in software development, computer programs are highly complex, interconnected structures, you work many vectors simultaneously so it all connects and works together once its finished

But you really want to have a solid foundation, walls, etc. before you start adding other things. If the walls have cracks in them and the roof is leaking I won't just add few cupboards for the kitchen and a carpet that just looked to cool to ignore it.

Gotta have priorities. 

It might work extremly different in game developement, but I'm really concerned when I see bugs getting added every single update, while event the most basic ones (random sounds) still need fixing.

With the game getting more and more complex won't it eventually get very difficult to fix existing bugs without breaking other stuff?

It's really hard to kill a zombie in 0.49 in melee battle with a crossbar or normal axe (not the firefighter axe). That's annoying, but it's okay for me.

But I was chased by a zombie and ran into the firestation in Cernaya Polana. I ran upstairs to the second floor and thought I was safe, but the zombie hit me through the floor. After that I glitched in the floor and was stuck. Two zombie climbed up the ladder to the second floor, hit me while I was stuck in the ground and then I died... nice. :(

i've said it before and will again, the farmers hoe is the most reliable melee weapon ATM. Two hits and they are down.

i've said it before and will again, the farmers hoe is the most reliable melee weapon ATM. Two hits and they are down.

Really depends on the user. I can 2 hit kill a Zombie every time with the Splitting Axe and the Pick Axe as well. The upside being both tools have very important side uses as well.

In .48 I could 1 hit kill with the Fire Axe, but have yet to find one in .49

The Hoe is a a great weapon though, especially with its reach. 

I didn't find a hoe...

It's quite easy to kill a zombie with bare hands, but almost impossible with a Crossbar or Splitting Axe (for me at least <_<). When you hit the zombie, your character is in position like you pressed space. So you have to press space to lower your hands, hit again, press space, hit again and so on.

I thought it was going to happen yesterday, so got up the firetower in cernaya polana and let every know I was there with my mosin, so come and kill me! It was fun, got me about 7 dudes...one actually managed to get up on the tower with me and punch me while I was sniping another dude...

Just before the servers went down, I committed suicide racked with the guilt of killing all those people...now I find out I could have kept my gear for a week...oh well, time to gear up again!!

after reading your post I had to find this for you....

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/179787-dayz-of-being-dead-webcomic/?p=2100973

• Like 1

I suppose the massive wipe will improve things at the cost of every non cheater getting a kick in the mouth. But this happy time will only last for a short period of time as hackers will adapt and do what they do in a new way. I wish there was a way of examining the contents of every players kit and if unsporting gear is found that character gets annihilated permanently and the steam account associated with that character is eliminated. This I predict will only be the first of many wipes to come.

Its really too bad that a small portion of the community can make as much trouble as they do because they lack the confidence and skill to play honestly...pathetic.     

• Like 2

where is update 0.49 yesterday, with a week late?
it's been a week and a day already !!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Once or duplication techniques are gone and experimental is ready to hit stable (as in most of the blocker issues are gone). Next wednesday after all this is true, will the bundle hit stable.

Thats the official statement. Note that its not "next Wednesday" but "the Wednesday after the issues are fixed". May be next Wednesday or later depending on their progress. Its just like 0.45 and its rubberbanding issues.

Not sure if it's only me but for example i play on UK EXP servers normaly they have about 12 severs half 3rd half normal, nowdays they have 2 40 slot servers and like 6 which are sitting at 0 players but can't be joined, So is it really limited to only 80 players?

Not sure if it's only me but for example i play on UK EXP servers normaly they have about 12 severs half 3rd half normal, nowdays they have 2 40 slot servers and like 6 which are sitting at 0 players but can't be joined, So is it really limited to only 80 players?

Sounds like the weird server issue we were having a couple days ago is coming back.

• Like 1

Thats the official statement. Note that its not "next Wednesday" but "the Wednesday after the issues are fixed". May be next Wednesday or later depending on their progress. Its just like 0.45 and its rubberbanding issues.

This. 0.49 is not ready yet, plain and simple. I am, however, going to keep playing it on Experimental :)

Id say its to push more players on 1st person servers to test them more!

Seems the most populated exp servers are the firsts which gets random restarting and finally stucked. Better hide your tents and backpacks on low populated exp servers becasue they will work longer.

Edited by Sharplooter

Also make sure your ping is set to "0" in your filter so you can see all of them , you might be missing some as I think the default ping for the server browser is set to "100" (which after the last patch on experimental it seems all of them go above 100 at some point ).

Sounds like the weird server issue we were having a couple days ago is coming back.

The servers are my personal biggest problem with Exp .49. Either the servers are full ( because they work ) or stuck at 0/40 with no possibility to join them. Just a few minutes ago i was lucky enough to find a playerslot on a UK server and 10 minutes later, the server restarted. Then another lucky moment, another server which was not full. Joined in, three minutes later server restart.

I don't see .49 getting pushed to stable until the servers run smoothly again.

• Like 1

I suppose the massive wipe

When is this massive wipe taking place?

Going through this thread I'm a little confused about the melee situation. Is there still a big problem with being unable to make contact with people/zombies? Seems some people think it's fine, some people think it's not, and some people think it's just certain weapons.

Does anyone have very little problem with melee or is it still very much fucked up?