nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

SmashT is the commitment to a new renderer "news" as of E3 or has that been talked about before and I simply missed it?

Been talked about before I believe.

A link to a good reddit thread explaining this if you still don't get it.  http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/27umee/before_everyone_loses_their_collective_shit_omg/

Also, if you DON'T have r/DayZ as a bookmark, do so now. They really should post no these forums more, but it seems the majority of info ends up here first.

That just confirms my theory that the game will be released in 2099.

please don't comment on early release estimates :lol:

• Like 4

Have you fallen off the tour bus?  Dynamic Navmesh alone is enough to be excited over.  Framerate issues will be a thing of the past with the new renderer.  64-Bit servers incoming soon.

Improvements to the client is some way off and for me just now it's running like a dog (and a dog in treacle) on experimental just now. I have my CPU and GFX running some way below 100% yet it's struggling to push higher than 20 FPS in towns and even when it does it feels ridiculously sluggish.

I've no problems waiting for the product to come together, however I am not going to get though about a reddit post where when asked Rocket says it's a case of ripping everything out and redoing stuff from scratch. 

I understand it's a necessary evil, and I totally get where he's coming from in terms of future expansion but to me that whole post just sounded like a snake not a ladder (if you get my drift).

What changed in that time period that they didn't know about a month back?

Their desperation level.

Graphical and performance issues are bad, but the overall lack of content is probably worse for the long-term player base. I'm curious as to how much DayZ is going to benefit from DX10 / 11 as far as new server / client functions are concerned, such as loot spawns and fleshed-out survival mechanics.

Anyhow, I don't care about trivial issues along the lines of lights appearing through walls. The game looks pretty and runs well enough on a cheap rig. If this is significantly impacting the release of stable, content-filled patches, and if it isn't going to meaningfully contribute to content, bug fixes, and the like, I can't see how this is a smart "investment for the future."

Edited by Ransurian

Reading through all of this was a nightmare!

The news is actually pretty vague I would say, which means as much as I want to pop a cork, I'll hold back and see what develops.  I can't help feeling optimistic though I've always wished they would have used a different, more modern engine from the start... but holding judgement completely until we have more info.

I hope at some point they include packs of Worther's Originals as loot. I choked on on once, but I still couldn't turn my back on them.

• Like 1

So if you are just tuning in and you got to the end of this post and are still confused then read below.

Dayz will be on a new engine and it is not just an updated Arma 2.5. They are doing this in sections and thus the end result will truly be a new engine. To some it just means an updated engine. If you take a car and start replacing everything on it starting with the frame, is it the same car when its done? 

They are also looking at any other features from any other engine at there disposal to add to the new engine. Infusion is not a modded or updated engine, they are starting from scratch in sections, like physics, rendering, ect.

Good News or Bad News? This is great news and will not set them back as they are replacing these sections as they go. It eliminates all the overhead and allows them to add features that the old engine did not support without wasting time trying to rework it just to find out they need to rewrite it and then have legacy code left over.

How will it look? It will still look and feel like the Dayz you know but with better performance and graphic enhancements. With 64 bit servers and DX11 this is a new level of shadows, light, physics, rendering, ect.

Things to be excited about.

1. 64 bit and the new navmesh are done. They still need to create the custom paths and what not but that is the end stage of zombies walking through walls.

2. Dean is most excited for barricading and wants to push that out in the next few weeks. This along with the 2 updates above will be amazing.

3. 5 - 10 zombies per 1 that we have now will be a real threat.

4. We are really getting to a new level of possibilities and the fact that they are going to this level to create the game we want is fantastic and they deserve a big thumbs up.

I know that the good things are worth waiting for and there is no free to play game that will capture the Dayz experience.

Edited by Zombiewarpi
  • Like 5

OP should be renamed because it's fucking misleading. Why hasn't anyone pointed that out??? ITS NOT A NEW ENGINE, THE NAME'S CHANGING. FUCKS SAKE CHANGE THE OP NAME. Oh wait then you wouldn't get everyone to read your topic.

What Dean said is, and I quote, "I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion." Does that sound at all to you like what's been described over the past few months of tweaking the existing engine and points that randomspawn made above?

Is that where you stopped reading?  Rocket's very next answer pretty much said exactly what the engine was.

Rocket: It is a complete rip out of everything, but we’re definitely leveraging existing tech. So if you look at Bohemia as a studio they actually acquired a great number of other studios, so really were kind of looking around and taking up tech that is available there and mixing it into the engine, rewriting new stuff from scratch that we want to do as well.

All of which has been stated before in one manner or the other.

"moving" is just the new rocketism.

• Like 2

So they gave a new name for their work. Big news big news.. And now they only announce this for PR and giving another excuse why everything has been so slow. I love how rocket just talks and talks so all mighty about what they can do and what they will do. In the end they will get nothing done but I guess talking about things is nice.

Fanboys bring it on.

• Like 1

OP should be renamed because it's fucking misleading. Why hasn't anyone pointed that out??? ITS NOT A NEW ENGINE, THE NAME'S CHANGING. FUCKS SAKE CHANGE THE OP NAME. Oh wait then you wouldn't get everyone to read your topic.

Please read the post above yours "Zombiewarpi" has summed it up pretty well. I know its hard for you hardcore fans to admit its a whole new engine, because all your "its alpha" arguments have gone down the drain. All your defending of the game development has been pointless, even devs have admited engine was the reason for slow development. Get over it.

• Like 1

So they gave a new name for their work. Big news big news.. And now they only announce this for PR and giving another excuse why everything has been so slow. I love how rocket just talks and talks so all mighty about what they can do and what they will do. In the end they will get nothing done but I guess talking about things is nice.

Fanboys bring it on.

It's not what they will do or can do, it's what the super lazy devs have been doing.

It's not what they will do or can do, it's what the super lazy devs have been doing.

Well thats the thing, i dont think they were lazy, poor bastards had to fix the engine until it could be fixed no more, thats why we are getting a new engine, the one that hopefully can handle more than 5 zombies

Well thats the thing, i dont think they were lazy, poor bastards had to fix the engine until it could be fixed no more, thats why we are getting a new engine, the one that hopefully can handle more than 5 zombies

Err, no.  They've been building this engine for months if not for almost a year.   They're not scrapping what they've done with the engine, they're continuing to develop it.  The new engine is what they've been developing.  I'm not sure how many more ways I can say it.

• Like 1

Err, no.  They've been building this engine for months if not for almost a year.   They're not scrapping what they've done with the engine, they're continuing to develop it.  The new engine is what they've been developing.  I'm not sure how many more ways I can say it.

Err who said they are scrapping everything err.

it's only normal if the worlds physics is inadequate. for example if a player dies close to a wall in RV then the body falls through the wall, legs in the room torso and head outside in the garden, this is an engine issue.

Players glitching through walls and floors, engine issue and these issues will never really be solved until the engine is changed. I hope this is what rocket is doing.

There should be no need to have to program the AI to walk around walls simple because if you didn't the AI would walk through walls, most engines remove this messy and complex problem by simple giving solid structures the correct properties. RV just never did that.

Oh yeah all of this is easy!

No really, none of this is, and stop comparing it to the cryengine please. of course you HAVE to program those behaviors because without them there is nothing stopping you from going through floors and walls. It doesn't happen magically and has nothing to do with setting walls as solid.

If you set walls as solid, the pathfinding code has to acount for it. NPCs and player characters in most games are not fully subjected to physics, full physics is for crates, barrels and destructible wooden shacks. Pathfinding in general doesn't interact with the physical simulation.

Physic is computationally expensive and is bound to synchronisation problems when it's broadcasted on the network.

Please, if all your experience with game engines has been toying with the crysis editor, if you've never stuck your head into actual engine source code, please don't spew "it's easy to fix this". You are assuming a lot about how things work. Games are all about creating an illusion on the cheap, because computers are slow. A lot of systems used in games are very far from real world physical accuracy but produce a decent enough result to keep the illusion alive.

You want a good example? Half life 2:

• Pathfinding is made in the map editor and will ignore anything added while the game is running
  • Vehicles have a strong tendency to remain right side up, to make driving easy.
  • Zombies completely ignore the presence of physical objects in front of them when it comes to pathfinding, but are scripted to try to "punt" objects that are in front of them, to give the illusion that they are not.
  • Zombies also ignore their path nodes if they see the player close by and simply run straight at him.
  • Ragdolls (dead corpses) are not synchronised in multiplayer and every player get their own "local" version (gmod doesn't do this optimization and the lag gets unbearable with only a few ragdolls).
  • Most of the background cityscape in the game use a separate camera that takes a 360° picture of a 1:16 scale "model" which is then applied to an inside out cube that surround the player's point of view (a skybox)
  • Like 3

I like how someone renamed it CONFUSION engine. I think this should be used from now on. Fits perfectly.

Not all games, many engines give solid objects the properties of solid objects, for example cryengine, there is no need to 'tell' AI where buildings or walls are, the AI simply cant pass through such objects, then programming AI is much easier because it can quickly calculate the best route to take avoiding impassable obstacles.

The fact that rocket was trying to fix zombies by effectively 'telling' them where every solid structure was and creating a kind of map that the AI needs to follow just goes to prove that this engines approach to physics was not right for this game.

The zombies would just run into walls constantly if that happened. The pathfinding that determines where they can go is better than just shoving a wall in front of them and having them constantly speed into it.

The AI is not going to suddenly recognize that it cannot pass through a wall and run around it, unless it has... No, wait, it can't be true.... pathfinding

inB4 4months out, they say that something in the new Confusion engine isnt going to work, so they are rewriting code for yet another new engine..

Duke Nukem forever says hello...!!!

It's not a new engine, just a crap outdated engine with copy pasted stuff from other crap engines that Bohemia own. 

Edited by Andromeda

Can we clear out the proverbial clown car and just make a dedicated "Conduct of the Developers" forum to weed out all the vitriolic, loaded, Reddit-esque threads that crowd the General Discussion forum these days?