nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

What the actual fuck? Where did this come from. lol

Rocket: I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion. So that is going to allow us to do DirectX 10 and 11. It is going to allow us to do dynamic lighting, which means no more flashlights going through walls, proper dynamic shadows, stuff like that. So it really kind of opens a lot of possibilities for us and I think it is going to allow us to deal will a lot of those issues. We had to decide, did we want to do a lot of little short term fixes or did we want to focus on the architecture. Given the success of the early access we felt like we really had to invest in the future.

Q: With the new engine is it based on your current tech or is it a complete rip out of everything and rewriting it?

Rocket: It is a complete rip out of everything, but we’re definitely leveraging existing tech. So if you look at Bohemia as a studio they actually acquired a great number of other studios, so really were kind of looking around and taking up tech that is available there and mixing it into the engine, rewriting new stuff from scratch that we want to do as well.

Q: When are you looking at getting the new engine into experimental and then pushed out to stable.

Rocket: It will kind of come in a modular fashion over time.

Source:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/27uf74/rgames_rdayz_ama_with_rocket_dayz_is_moving_to_a/

Edited by NexVentor
  • Like 17

Wow there are some really interesting comments in this talk.

u/phobus666: What's the status of internal testing 64-bit servers?

Rocket: It’s done. It’s tested and I think the test is totally successful.

Q: How much does that help you add entities to the world?

Rocket: 64 Bit does really necessary help us with performance. It opens the doors for once we deal with the performance issues we can then triple the number of loot spawns, triple the number of zombies and animals.

Edited by NexVentor
  • Like 1

That is old news:p

http://dayz.com/blog/experimental-branch-0-44 Read the 'Graphics Optimazation and the renderer'

First when I heard about SA is going to use "Take on helicopter" engine, I tought, what the hell are they thinking, we live in 2013 and who in their right mind start developing on resource hungry DX9 when we have DX11 wich will use far less drawcalls to achive the same, thus freeing up resources for more content and better performance. It took them awhile to realize their mistake...

Edited by Kaboki
  • Like 2

They finally fixed the terrible arma doors

Lol, don't think they are referring to that. But hey with a new engine and revised "action" menu, who knows?

Is this real life?!?!?!  So they are actually still planning on doing something!!  Woot Woot!!

• Like 3

So when i made a topic to go to a new engine, i was ridiculed by fanboys even forum mods. I think i deserve an apology

Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 24

So when i made a topic to go to a new engine, i was ridiculed by fanboys even forum mods. I think i deserve an apology

link please?

Also- I wonder what this will do to the time frame. 6 months bump maybe?

This should be for the best.

Also: I could not find any other games running this engine. Can someone provide an example?

Edited by Ugly

link please?

Also: I could not find any other games running this engine. Can someone provide an example?

link please?

It was placed in a graveyard. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/198662-dayz-alpha-and-switching-engines/page-2 Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 3

So did I but I checked the sources and it is legit

I hope he is just talking about the rendering engine change that was previously announced and not a complete engine rewrite.

• Like 4

So now what, is there a point in playing standalone anymore? Is it going to be a whole new download? Or do we just get our money back

Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 1

So now what

For you? Uninstall and go away :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Yeah because it's unreasonable. Frankly until i see the actual "new engine" i'll sort this in the "PR talk for computer illiterates" folder.

• Like 5

How is it different, because i knew what this game needs and you didnt ha ha, fanboy

Right, because saying "The game needs a new engine" is so specific...

Yeah because it's unreasonable. Frankly until i see the actual "new engine" i'll sort this in the "PR talk for computer illiterates" folder.

This is my interpretation as well. It sounds like Rocket is talking about the Renderer switch here, which has been talked about for months now.

• Like 4

They modify RV engine like before. The changes will be so big that it's a new engine. They have added Enforce engine also in so it's just not RV engine anymore. There could be some more ports. Likely no need for whole new download or money back. Just updates like before.

• Like 3

this line pretty much says it all:

Rocket: It will kind of come in a modular fashion over time.

• Like 1

This is good news, but unfortunantly they should have just decided to do that straight away and also put alot more money into this project, then we could have been in the beta stage already

(or atleast alot longer in development than we are now).

If it can be done in a modular fashion over time then it's not a new engine in the sense that you were suggesting. That would require a scrap everything and start again approach, as was more than likely pointed out to you in the aforementioned topic. 

• Like 6