nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

Maybe they're "infusing" it with zeds and bug fixes!

The engine is a tool, it enables the developers to create the experience they want the player to have. Trying to wrestle with an engine that's dated or that wasn't designed for the types of things you're trying to do is kinda like having a small car and deciding you want to go camping and off roading - by the time you reinforce the frame, add a trailer hitch, jack it up and add bigger tires on top of everything else that might be needed it might be better to start with something that was made for off roading and hauling a trailer in the first place. It seems as though that decision was made with Infusion. It's nice to see the direction more clearly, but this brings up questions in my mind such as will this slow/halt various other updates that were coming in the game while the new engine is being worked on and integrated?

Hello there

No it wont affect anything that you've been told about and infact the engine repurposing has been part of the project from near the beginning.

Obviously, some aspects have changed since then but on the whole you shouldnt see any delay to anything previously announced AFAIK

Laslty dont thing of the engine as a "fixed" world where certain values cannot be affected. IF they so chose they can alter almost anything. It comes down to finance, art direction, timlines etc etc etc.

So dont think its an "engine" thats not suited to this purpose. In fact, if you look at the mod you can see its almost ideal compared to any other otherwise youd see popular clones and there simply are none atm.

Rgds

LoK

So, they're just making upgrades to the current engine?

Remind me why this is supposed to hype me?

So - I think I've got this straight now.

DayZ Standalone isn't moving to a new engine called "Infusion". The customized Arma engine that was being tweaked to StandAlone's needs now has its own name to distinguish itself from its original form and other engines because it's changed/changing so much, and that new name is "Infusion".

There were so many its/it's above I believe I didn't butcher the grammar too badly...

• Like 2

Hello there

It doesnt have to.

But youll realise that it is good news for those who thought they were stuck just using a modded version of a fork of the RV engine.

Its not really "new" news to those who have been following closely, but stuff like the 64bit move and separating the renderer does herald in some new opportunities.

The bits ive been privileged to see have excited me greatly, but each to their own.

Rgds

LoK

@DBC essentially yes. Also really focus on the fact there will be sweeping future changes too.

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

God, that was painful to clear up and understand. Thanks orlok.

This would have been so much simpler:

9hs8l.jpg

• Like 1

This game will be greater (look, feel, content) than any of us ever imagined. Including Rocket himself.

(*I also believe character movement should be kept with a "measured" feel. Not clunky, but paced and deliberate. It's bad enough we were all marathon runners before the apocalypse; we all don't have to be acrobats too.)

Due to the amount of money thrown at monitors since Alpher, I believe DayZ Beta & 1.0 are a mere matter of time.

reminds me of call of duty. we remade the engine releases then exact same thing .

one dayz we will play a finished product. it may not be soon... but one day.

Edited by dgeesio

So - I think I've got this straight now.

DayZ Standalone isn't moving to a new engine called "Infusion". The customized Arma engine that was being tweaked to StandAlone's needs now has its own name to distinguish itself from its original form and other engines because it's changed/changing so much, and that new name is "Infusion".

There were so many its/it's above I believe I didn't butcher the grammar too badly...

Yep basically an amalgamation of RV3 + Enforce + all the changes they have made or are planning to make (new renderer, bullet physics etc) = "Infusion"

• Like 1

I don't think anyone can disagree about updating the current rendering engine in order to support modern technologies (such as Dx10/11) and this will improve both the look and the efficiency of the client performance.

The problem is, of course, with the game still suffering basic problems such as zombies that run through walls and dreadful framerates that it's difficult to get excited about what seems like Rocket stating the blindingly obvious. I appreciate it's a slow process but it's been like pulling teeth especially recently.

• Like 1

The amount of people who couldn't comprehend this information is astounding. "ZOMG NEW ENGINE WTF DEAN!" I swear most of the people bitching are the ones who pay the least amount of attention to Twitter, Reddit, etc & just complain for the sake of seeing their name attached to a post on the internet.

I don't think anyone can disagree about updating the current rendering engine in order to support modern technologies (such as Dx10/11) and this will improve both the look and the efficiency of the client performance.

The problem is, of course, with the game still suffering basic problems such as zombies that run through walls and dreadful framerates that it's difficult to get excited about what seems like Rocket stating the blindingly obvious. I appreciate it's a slow process but it's been like pulling teeth especially recently.

Have you fallen off the tour bus?  Dynamic Navmesh alone is enough to be excited over.  Framerate issues will be a thing of the past with the new renderer.  64-Bit servers incoming soon.

The amount of people who couldn't comprehend this information is astounding. "ZOMG NEW ENGINE WTF DEAN!" I swear most of the people bitching are the ones who pay the least amount of attention to Twitter, Reddit, etc & just complain for the sake of seeing their name attached to a post on the internet.

Yeah it's like people that don't use social networking are obsolete and should just die. People that don't use Twitter are just plain weird or maybe Paedophiles or something similar. Those that don't use reddit must be queer or communist and do people even exist if they're not on facebook?

#progress

• Like 2

Because it makes perfect sense to communicate this sort of information on various social media platforms and not on your official forums first (if at all), right? If the DayZ StandAlone team wanted to make a simple yet powerful change to their approach and better manage the DayZ community that would be one thing I'd recommend addressing. It would be nice to have this sort of information officially communicated where the majority of the community is looking for it.

• Like 1

Because it makes perfect sense to communicate this sort of information on various social media platforms and not on your official forums first (if at all), right? If the DayZ StandAlone team wanted to make a simple yet powerful change to their approach and better manage the DayZ community that would be one thing I'd recommend addressing. It would be nice to have this sort of information officially communicated where the majority of the community is looking for it.

Are you living under a rock?  It's been talked about for months on these here forums.  Hell, even forum members have had to tell people like you that the game engine that is being used in not the RV engine anymore.

• Like 1

Yeah it's like people that don't use social networking are obsolete and should just die. People that don't use Twitter are just plain weird or maybe Paedophiles or something similar. Those that don't use reddit must be queer or communist and do people even exist if they're not on facebook?

#progress

You took this way too far, get a grip man. I agree that they could do a much better job of commmunicating this stuff on their OFFICIAL forums, but the fact of the matter is, there's TONS of information out there if people look. If you can play this game, post on the internet, I think you can figure out google and/or reddit. Everyones entitled to their opinion but at least try to be somewhat informed before you give it.

If the amount of time spent raging or whatever else the uninformed do here, was spent on actually READING the info available, I feel this would be a much better forumk with way less bitching. There is a reason BI & Dean have pulled back on release dates, road map promises, etc & it's because of how the community at large reacts to anything & everything they say & most of the time, it's because they either didn't bother to read or didn't comprehend what he was saying. This topic is the perfect example.

• Like 1

It's weird. Just a month or so ago, they declared that lighting and issues such as that couldn't be fixed on the current engine. Now, they are going to be able fix this by just tweaking the engine??? This is all very confusing, but I don't really have to understand all the details. I would like to understand why they would come out a month ago and make such a statement, then totally reverse course this month. What changed in that time period that they didn't know about a month back?

Are you living under a rock?  It's been talked about for months on these here forums.  Hell, even forum members have had to tell people like you that the game engine that is being used in not the RV engine anymore.

"Infusion" hasn't been talked about for months - but the existing engine being modified in various ways has been. So no, there is no rock over my head. Rocket announced this at E3 today and unless I'm mistaken it's never been talked about before, or at least not talked about in this manner before. What Dean said is, and I quote, "I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion." Also if you read the way it's presented in the transcript it's not clear at all that it's what's been talked about for the past few months, it literally sounds as if there was an entirely new platform that was being moved onto.

"Infusion" hasn't been talked about for months - but the existing engine being modified in various ways has been. So no, there is no rock over my head. Rocket announced this at E3 today and unless I'm mistaken it's never been talked about before, or at least not talked about in this manner before. What Dean said is, and I quote, "I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion." Also if you read the way it's presented in the transcript it's not clear at all that it's what's been talked about for the past few months, it literally sounds as if there was an entirely new platform that was being moved onto.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

Ya, they've finally named the engine that they've been working on.  Comprehension ftw

• Like 1

this is a prime indication of the verbal media lack of understanding for the Dayz crew.

every time it seems to be cocked up everyone rages.

you cant try and mop it up after get it right before hand save yourself explaining yourselves every update.

It's weird. Just a month or so ago, they declared that lighting and issues such as that couldn't be fixed on the current engine. Now, they are going to be able fix this by just tweaking the engine??? This is all very confusing, but I don't really have to understand all the details. I would like to understand why they would come out a month ago and make such a statement, then totally reverse course this month. What changed in that time period that they didn't know about a month back?

Well - sorta, from what I understand it couldn't be fixed in the existing engine. But Dean seems to clarify that in this Q&A exchange:

Q: With the new engine is it based on your current tech or is it a complete rip out of everything and rewriting it?

Rocket: It is a complete rip out of everything, but we’re definitely leveraging existing tech. So if you look at Bohemia as a studio they actually acquired a great number of other studios, so really were kind of looking around and taking up tech that is available there and mixing it into the engine, rewriting new stuff from scratch that we want to do as well.

Edited by Death By Crowbar

Light shining through walls was a limitation of the current DX9 renderer they are using, I believe. By switching to a new one, which can use DX10/11, the issue will be resolved. So his statement was true, because the current engine is incapable of fixing it. Hence why they are changing the renderer, along with multiple other things, & putting it all together in this "new" engine they call Infusion.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

Ya, they've finally named the engine that they've been working on.  Comprehension ftw

What Dean said is, and I quote, "I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion." Does that sound at all to you like what's been described over the past few months of tweaking the existing engine and points that randomspawn made above?

They did actually clarify this at the time. 

I've addressed the issue of dynamic lighting in the past, several times. Previously I've stated it's impossible to fix. Until recently, we had no plans to replace the renderer, so it was never going to be possible. Hence why the ticket was closed.

The important thing here is that prior to our commitment to a new renderer, dynamic lighting was clearly impossible. Now it's a possibility.

• Like 1

SmashT is the commitment to a new renderer "news" as of E3 or has that been talked about before and I simply missed it?

Rewrite the engine to support DX10/DX11 is a huge step forward and we will all benefit from it without a doubt. It will improve performance for us with DX10/11 supported GPU's and will also make the graphics alot prettier. And most likely it will make it easier to implement certain things into the engine without loosing performance. So you should be a little exited, for me it's the best SA news in a long time.... And lets say they decided to stay with DX9, by the time the game was finished it would belong to the museum (heck DX9 already belongs in a museum)..