nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

thanks that was informative =)

Thanks haha.

Sometimes it just hits me, like a ton of bricks, and i write up s*** like that :P

• Like 1

When DayZ started - the devs took the source from the existing RV Engine - Over the last many months, extensive clean up, new functionality, and so forth has been created for that engine - while at the same time, vast amounts of it were removed, or rewritten entirely. The changes Dean spoke of entail major leaps forward in that work, with those changes and the many more that will come through out development - we have begun to approach the point in which DayZ's engine is so no longer recognizable as RV, and because of that - and the massive work to come, it is now known by its own name, Enfusion.

I dont read very much about server optimization but i belive they are working on it. What are they doing right now in view to Multicore threads Client and Server side etc? Personally i think it's the most diffucult and also the most importand thing in development.
Do you know anything about that?

Hello there

as the devs now have their own sections here on the forums to answer your queries directly, id post in there. There's so much sexy stuff coming up in the future.

Have a poke around for them. If you get stuck ill give you a link.

Rgds

LoK

I heard there using some engine called Enfusion for dayz, and they said it has some arma 3 codings for it too. But how come Dayz just doesn't use the whole arma 3 engine? Or another engine that would make the game run smoother with less bugs?

Edited by saint tyrone leroy smith

The infusion engine is a new game engine wrote especially for DayZ. It's also not released yet. It's a work in progress that will be released in modules.

The infusion engine is a new game engine wrote especially for DayZ. It's also not released yet. It's a work in progress that will be released in modules.

Ah, but do you know when it might be optimized? Places like Novo bring my fps down to 30-40 fps or even lower.

Ah, but do you know when it might be optimized? Places like Novo bring my fps down to 30-40 fps or even lower.

When all features are in, bug hunting and optimization starts. In Beta.

But how come Dayz just doesn't use the whole arma 3 engine? Or another engine that would make the game run smoother with less bugs?

ARMA 3's branch of RV wasn't even close to be finished when work on DayZ started.

Did you take a look at Rust recently? That is one example how long it'd take to switch engines. Not really something to aim for.

I heard there using some engine called Enfusion for dayz, and they said it has some arma 3 codings for it too. But how come Dayz just doesn't use the whole arma 3 engine? Or another engine that would make the game run smoother with less bugs?

I had the exact same question with you OP.

Here's the response of Brian Hicks,DayZ's lead developer...

Hicks posted 06 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

I'm unsure how you can create an engine "more modern" than one being created -right now-.

Your assumption is based upon an incomplete understanding of what is being done, ala the creation of a new engine from a bare bones framework of the previous technology - which is what is done when engines are iterated upon. eg: Unreal, Cryengine, iDTech, and so on.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman