nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

He is. It's not a "new" engine. It's the same old DayZ engine with all the fancy improvements. (Render being ripped out, the physx, ect) It just has a name now.

That's my take on it. Infusion..'infusing' new elements in, ripping shitty old chunks out.

• Like 1

the point is they are going to make much needed changes, the arma engine is a horrible clunky platform riddled with 10 year old bugs and so many band aids that have been applied over the years that it must be a complete nightmare trying to work with. I just wish they'd realised what everyone else realised at the beginning.

DayZ is too good a concept to waste on this engine, it deserves a chance to be the game we all imagined when SA was first announced instead of a prettier but buggier version of the mod.

• Like 1

They dont CHANGE the engine per se....

here have a read:     http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/27ufa1/rgames_rdayz_ama_with_rocket_dayz_is_moving_to_a/

Yes, it is apparently a bit of a botched attempt at preventing all those ridiculous "arma 2 engine sucks, they need to switch to a new engine" posts. Devs have long since said it is not the arma 2 engine anymore but something new on account of all the things they have done and will be doing with it. Now they came up with a name for it, apparently in connection to the 64 bit switch, so when people write about the "shitty arma 2" engine they can reply "we are not using the arma 2 engine, we are using the infusion engine".

Unfortunately I doubt they will manage to drive home this point to that crowd.

And the pantomime continues .

You cannot perform with us unless you bring your mask and sing silly songs.

How is it different, because i knew what this game needs and you didnt ha ha, fanboy

Ouch, I can imagine this post must be somewhat embarrassing for you now.

• Like 1

what kind of engine makes walls, fences, rocks and buildings behave like solid objects towards players and bullets but not to light and zombies?

Thanks god they are finally waking up to what has been patently obvious to the rest of the world for many many months now.

what kind of engine makes walls, fences, rocks and buildings behave like solid objects towards players and bullets but not to light and zombies?

Thanks god they are finally waking up to what has been patently obvious to the rest of the world for many many months now.

That hasn't got anything to do with the engine, that's AI pathfinding.  :huh:

That hasn't got anything to do with the engine, that's AI pathfinding.  :huh:

what are you talking about???? how is torchlight passing through walls connected to pathfinding? Zombie pathfinding is related to AI, however the fact that walls don't stop zombies or light is purely an engine issue, the engine has faulty physics, even though bullets 'know' to stop or lose velocity when they strike a wall or fence.

zombie pathfinding is a separate issue, that is related to the route a zombie chooses to get from a to b, if the pathfinding wants to take a zombie through a wall the wall should stop the zombie in its tracks. The fact that solid objects are solid for players and bullets but not for light and zombies is an engine issue lol

Edited by Macdeth

what are you talking about???? how is torchlight passing through walls connected to pathfinding? Zombie pathfinding is related to AI, however the fact that walls don't stop zombies is an engine issue, the engine has faulty physics, even bullets 'know' to stop or lose velocity when they strike a wall or fence.

The Point he was trying to bring across is:

Armas "AI" engine was never intendet to be used for Z´pathfinding. I think they experimented with making the collision boxes bigger but the navmesh is a way better and i guess less timeconsuming Option. ( since the mesh "draws itself" )

Anyways...complaing about the Z´s at this state is a moot Point...its beign worked on..move along...

f*cking hate twitter and whole idea of it!!

I also hate twitter, a lot, and it sucks that you have to wade through their crap to find info sometimes.

• Like 1

Seriously people? We have known since the start that the engine has/is being heavily modified. That is not news! I've been excited about that since release. This 'News' is nothing more than a rebranding of the heavily modified engine and yet its only now that everyone gets excited? I suppose it just shows how effective rebranding can be...

• Like 2

Seriously people? We have known since the start that the engine has/is being heavily modified. That is not news! I've been excited about that since release. This 'News' is nothing more than a rebranding of the heavily modified engine and yet its only now that everyone gets excited? I suppose it just shows how effective rebranding can be...

YorkMorgan is right in my opinion. Telling us there is a new engine isn't really news unless you guys tell us what advantages and features we can expect and around what time it will be truly relevant? (6 months? 12 months?)

Can someone please explain what kind of features the engine will have? How will this affect the physics in the game? Does this mean no more broken legs falling from 30 cms? How will the bullets be affected in terms of muzzle velocity, gravity, and aerodynamic drag? Will wind play a role in the long term? Will the performance drop issues in cities be solved? What about objects like grass in the far distance? Can we ever hope to see grass when we are 1000 meters away or is this simply not possible with the current engine and average computerspecs? I would like to play this game with higher graphic settings but even given the fact that my PC specs are not bad I have to play on low settings for specific situations.

Edited by TyrDaishi

Anyways...complaing about the Z´s at this state is a moot Point...its beign worked on..move along...

I'm not complaining about zombies, I am talking about the engine. This is the problem with rockets approach so far re zeds, he was focused on trying to 'fix' zeds, when he needed to 'fix' the engine. It is a fault with the engine that allows zombies and light to pass through solid objects (as he now belatedly accepts), pathfinding is another issue altogether and is related to AI.

If the pathfinding flaws try to take a zombie through a building the building should stop the zombie in its tracks, if the zombie cant get through walls then the problem is mostly solved, pathfinding can come later, we just need solid objects to behave like solid objects and possess the same properties for light and zombies as they do for players and bullets. And for that to happen we need drastic changes to the engine.

Edited by Macdeth
  • Like 1

I agree with this decision, in the end fixing of old engine would take longer than adapt new one which is better for this purpose.

what are you talking about???? how is torchlight passing through walls connected to pathfinding? Zombie pathfinding is related to AI, however the fact that walls don't stop zombies or light is purely an engine issue, the engine has faulty physics, even though bullets 'know' to stop or lose velocity when they strike a wall or fence.

zombie pathfinding is a separate issue, that is related to the route a zombie chooses to get from a to b, if the pathfinding wants to take a zombie through a wall the wall should stop the zombie in its tracks. The fact that solid objects are solid for players and bullets but not for light and zombies is an engine issue lol

Not really. Without proper pathfinding AI would walk through walls in most games...

I'm not 100% sure about the lighting, but I think that's fixable as it doesn't seem to be an issue in Arma 3.

Not really. Without proper pathfinding AI would walk through walls in most games...

I'm not 100% sure about the lighting, but I think that's fixable as it doesn't seem to be an issue in Arma 3.

I refer you to my response 3 posts above yours, yes lighting is hopefully easy to fix, but the physics of the dayz world, the way objects react to each other (zombies and walls for example) is directly linked to the engine, and now, hopefully this can be completely redone.

I refer you to my response 3 posts above yours, yes lighting is hopefully easy to fix, but the physics of the dayz world, the way objects react to each other (zombies and walls for example) is directly linked to the engine, and now, hopefully this can be completely redone.

The zombies vs. walls issue isn't an RV engine specific problem though, it would be the same in a lot of games if the AI pathfinding hadn't been completed.

Good news:

Devs are still working hard.

Bad news:

Seems that we had last open early access.

The zombies vs. walls issue isn't an RV engine specific problem though, it would be the same in a lot of games if the AI pathfinding hadn't been completed.

Not all games, many engines give solid objects the properties of solid objects, for example cryengine, there is no need to 'tell' AI where buildings or walls are, the AI simply cant pass through such objects, then programming AI is much easier because it can quickly calculate the best route to take avoiding impassable obstacles.

The fact that rocket was trying to fix zombies by effectively 'telling' them where every solid structure was and creating a kind of map that the AI needs to follow just goes to prove that this engines approach to physics was not right for this game.

Edited by Macdeth
  • Like 1

Not all games, many engines give solid objects the properties of solid objects, for example cryengine, there is no need to 'tell' AI where buildings or walls are, the AI simply cant pass through such objects, then programming AI is much easier because it can quickly calculate the best route to take avoiding impassable obstacles.

The fact that rocket was trying to fix zombies by effectively 'telling' them where every solid structure was and creating a kind of map that the AI needs to follow just goes to prove that this engines approach to physics was not right for this game.

That's actually a fairly normal way to handle AI, especially for something like a zombie that just has to wobble around a bit while idle then chase a player while following simple paths through buildings.

That's actually a fairly normal way to handle AI, especially for something like a zombie that just has to wobble around a bit while idle then chase a player while following simple paths through buildings.

it's only normal if the worlds physics is inadequate. for example if a player dies close to a wall in RV then the body falls through the wall, legs in the room torso and head outside in the garden, this is an engine issue.

Players glitching through walls and floors, engine issue and these issues will never really be solved until the engine is changed. I hope this is what rocket is doing.

There should be no need to have to program the AI to walk around walls simple because if you didn't the AI would walk through walls, most engines remove this messy and complex problem by simple giving solid structures the correct properties. RV just never did that.

This is good news, but unfortunantly they should have just decided to do that straight away and also put alot more money into this project, then we could have been in the beta stage already

(or atleast alot longer in development than we are now).

But they did start straight away, all the way back in Fall/Winter of 2012!

They started with the major architectural change of moving to a client/server network model, and they've kept us informed of a succession of complete rewrites of various subsystems since then: such as the physics engine to be used for ragdoll, item throwing, and the upcoming new vehicle system; the new nav mesh system for NPC pathfinding; the impending complete renderer rewrite announced a few weeks ago; as well as entirely changing how the engine handles guns, from simple config strings to first-class objects that support an attachment system; etc. etc.

In short they've been undertaking significant engine subsystem replacement or redevelopment efforts at about every step along the way since shortly after Standalone was announced in Summer 2012.

What they're doing isn't light work. Software development really does take time. I've been happy they've made the risky choices over the past 18 odd months to rewrite or replace so many significant components of the engine, with their stated long-term goal of building a better platform on which to run the eventual game.

• Like 2

Q: When are you looking at getting the new engine into experimental and then pushed out to stable.

Rocket: It will kind of come in a modular fashion over time.

......Brilliant, no date or even rough estimate given as usual

Edited by AgentNe0