Jex

What do you think full modding support will do to DayZ

Although we may get some cool things out of the Modding community like new maps, it will end up like the Mod if Modding is not controlled. A multitude of BS servers with a 1000 vehicles, pay to win features, easy mode, Admin cheat tools and whatever else. Modding is not all bad but it needs some kind of management and not be able to be done willy nilly. They also shouldn't add modding until the actual final release of the game.

I really hope they keep tight reigns on modding of the SA because the path of least resistance mostly killed the Vanilla Mod.

Some say modding will add features like base building and better Zeds but I think by the time they're finished with the game these will be implemented anyway so those points are kind of moot.

I don't like to use the R word ..... but this idea is retarded. Do they not remember how badly the Mod got killed because of modding? There are twice as many 100000 vehicle barracks everywhere free Heli giveaway 24/7 noon time spawn with full loadout Epoch servers as all other kinds combined because of how easy mode they made every aspect of the game.

For every 1 good idea the modders made with original DayZ there was 500 ideas that ruined the game.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

I don't like to use the R word ..... but this idea is retarded. Do they not remember how badly the Mod got killed because of modding? There are twice as many 100000 vehicle barracks everywhere free Heli giveaway 24/7 noon time spawn with full loadout Epoch servers as all other kinds combined because of how easy mode they made every aspect of the game.

For every 1 good idea the modders made with original DayZ there was 500 ideas that ruined the game.

That was scripts not mods.

Not a problem anyway just find a server that you like and play those.

Nobody forces you to join the 5k vehicle servers.

• Like 1

That was scripts not mods.

Not a problem anyway just find a server that you like and play those.

Nobody forces you to join the 5k vehicle servers.

exactly..

i played tons of mods/maps and never frequented the 100heli/spawn loaded servers... theres tons of places to play that arent like that..

Hello modders out there this is what i think would be good..

Some new maps..

And the ability to craft booby traps,to protect your position...

Other than that i can only see the mods bring in more players tbh and its all about sales sorry to say..

I think people are making an assumption that the DayZ mod was dead as they as individuals quit playing it. The only true drop in numbers or servers I noticed was after StandAlone came out.

Just because you quit playing it doesn't mean thousands quit playing it at the same time...

Being able to draw hoods over the players head.

DayZHell.com Chernarus | 500+ Vehicles | No Lag | AI Random Events | Improved Loot | Custom Map

--WARPOCH-- Epoch Chernarus Jets/Tanks/1500+Veh/Spawn Loadouts & Vehicle/Deployable/Spawnpoint/Evac

Hell-E Hunters NAPF�Extra Traders�Military Vehicles�Custom EMS�DZAI Heli Patrols�Safe Trad

[bRS] DayZ Epoch Chernarus | 6 HR Restart | EXTRA Vehicles & Buildings | TS | Mature Active Admins |

Knights Of Nom Dayz Epoch 1.0.4.2 | 500+Vehicles | Custom Locations | Self Bloodbag | Custom DZAI 

This is what modding is going to bring.  I fully support modding "if" it brings the game to where it's suppose to be.  Not this shit.  WoW didn't get 13 million players because it got harder and more challenging.

• Like 3

Server list will full of servers like:
"1000 vehicles, custom spawn loadout, extra barracks, 24/7 day, autobloodbag, godmode"

And you cant find decent "vanilla" server or one with a actually proper content, rather than COD deathmatch setting.
Only way after this is to find some private hive closed community where you have to apply and get passwords, then its same faces days on end.

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 2

Yea mods will allow people to play the game in any way that they want.

There will be the heavy weapon based mods

There will be heavy role play mods

heavy survival mods

heavy carebear mods

Mods allow this to happen and as a player you have a choice to join the server you like.

Wow, these forums never stop to amaze me.

Surprise of the day: the amount of unbelievable selfish people.

Why the hell do you care so much about how others want to play the game? You won't even be on the same server, but for some reason you yell "No! They must play it my way or not at all."

Why do you mind that someone is playing on a server with 10000 vehicles or starting weapons? Play on whatever settings you like and let others do the same.

I don't mind if people choose servers with extremly easy settings. Whatever, at least they are happy and I don't have to listen to them complaining how default settings are too difficult. 

I stick to the servers and mods that I enjoy with people who like it aswell as opposed to playing with people that every day post suggestions and complains about server settings. On top of that I have an option, that if one day I'll get bored with current settings I can go an check many different mods that have been developed.

Modding never did any harm to DayZ. Hell, it probably brought more players that were unhappy with standard mod. New mods have also showed us how much of work can be done by a group of dedicated people when we saw different issues getting fixed by moders that were supposed to be "unfixable".

Moreover, I'd really like to see hum much progress can make modders with some free time compared to current team working on SA.

Disappointed by community - Alsmir.

• Like 1

Modders did not kill dayz players did lets be honest here these sort of servers came about because people wanted them they flocked to them... Some modders want to make the Dayz experience harder maybe add some features ( depends what the devs finish by release) will people play that maybe maybe not but i am still going to make it lol. You want vanillia to survive or the essence of dayz to survive easy vote with your server choice stick to the vanillia servers or the servers that have modded the game to add things that make it deeper game not an easier game.

I hear screams of a rift in the community well guess what there already is one those who want to play pew pew with zeds and those who want to play survival in a world with zeds that requires some pew pew to protect yourself your base resources etc. Oh but all these people will go play the 1000 cars end gear load out on spawn servers well i say good to be quite frank they can go do that and fucken good riddence to them why cause there the ones hiding in a bush for hours to shoot anyone who walks past not loot them not rob them just to shoot them play pew pew.

I enjoy a bit of PvP in Dayz but it is PvP that has meaning to it be it the desperate bandit the defender of your base fighting for the last fuel tank in the land etc not just teaming up and shooting anything that moves regardless of reason that is not Dayz to me and i dont want to play with that crowd.

Ill be happy playing on my own private server running mods adding things i have modded that i believe add to the dayz experience with the difficulty cranked up will it be popular probably not but if i get to play with a good group of guys say 100 people over the 24 hours then it will be more than worth it to me to pay the costs of running the server, i will not give one shit about the 1 million players playing 24/7 1000 vehicles etc etc they can play there pew pew i want to play with dayz with people who want to play dayz that includes bandits survivours heroes etc who do what they do for a reason not for shitz and gigles of sniping etc...

Stop pointing the finger at modders you as players killed Dayz you left good servers to play the diluted versions and never came back make a stand play servers that keep dayz alive even if pop goes low if you keep the lights on more will join .. People see a server with only a dozen people on they may join and try it out people see a server with no one and they go elsewhere keep the fucking lights on and own up in your OWN responsibilty for the death of true Dayz...

I think modding will finally bring some real content to SA.  Judging by the speed of development I don't believe that the current dev team is capable of finishing this game in any reasonable amount of time.  I think the decision to allow modding pretty much confirms that they know they cant do it

Modding won't be coming for years and the current dev team of what, 30 or 40 people backed by a dev company isn't capable of finishing it? These are the people that made Armed Assault which is 10 times the game dayz will ever be. I think you worfully underestimate what BIS can do.

Modding won't be coming for years and the current dev team of what, 30 or 40 people backed by a dev company isn't capable of finishing it? These are the people that made Armed Assault which is 10 times the game dayz will ever be. I think you worfully underestimate what BIS can do.

Years eh? Dean stated it will come in Q3, sais so on roadmap, unless delayed

Edited by spartan54820

Because they can. It is clear that DayZ doesn't have a clear vision from a game design perspective. You can't have it both ways. Either the dev team needs to wake up and say, "Ok. We are making a survival game and we need to introduce game mechanics that enable this experience to happen" or they need to continue on their current course and it will eventually devolve into 1000+ vehicle PvP deathmatches.

The Dev team do have a clear vision - have you not seen the roadmap? Clear vision or not. Once you give admins and the community unrestricted rights to do as they please, you'll get 1000+ helis and starting M249,/backpack/selfbloodbag... etc regardless of where the SA goes.

I don't like to use the R word ..... but this idea is retarded.

Just don't, then. "not good" would have sufficed.

Also hidden a few comments, that didn't add anything to the discussion. Make sure to stay on topic.

/moderatorHat off

There is a lot of misinformed posting going in this thread and before I hear another person rambling on about 1,0000,000 vehicle servers, please - OH PLEASE - do some research! Read! Make sure you know what you're talking about!

The vehicles, as they were on the mod, were controlled by the server's database, not by scripts, not by fancy mods added to the server. The mods might have come with more vehicles by default, but that's not because of the mod itself, it's because they have changed the database itself and were private hives (all of them).

Now - this isn't going to happen with the Standalone, simply because Dean has announced that server-hosters will not have access to the database. This is what the shards are for - and the shards will still be hosted and controlled by the DayZ-Team.

Not modding brought more vehicles in, it was the private hives, because they had full access to the database, as it was hosted locally, rather than a public-hive. Publichive servers still don't have access to the Database, it's still in R4Z0R49's hands. They can't add more vehicles. If you wish to have vanilla amount of vehicles (42, I think) - go out and find yourself a nice Public-Hive server.

/moderatorHat on

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

LOL

The only reason SA even exists is because of the popularity of the MOD.    What you call destroying the foundation of DayZ is the exact thing that made this possible.

I think the majority of the 1.7 million people who bought this game wanted the MOD without hacks... its just that simple.   People want cars and helis and guns and loot and bases and gold.... its why so many people play 

Err....

Somewhere in there is a logic fail. The SA is a continuation of the MOD but working. Had the original mod been the only mod out there, would DayZ still be as popular? Yeah actually I think it would. The other MODs all got their popularity from the original. Those were the first youtube video's that everyone saw and everyone went to play.

The Dev team do have a clear vision - have you not seen the roadmap? Clear vision or not. Once you give admins and the community unrestricted rights to do as they please, you'll get 1000+ helis and starting M249,/backpack/selfbloodbag... etc regardless of where the SA goes.

I saw the roadmap that Dean put together right before Rezzed. It is, to be quite honest, simply a slideshow and not an actual, well-planned, development roadmap like I am used to seeing. It gives tentative dates but there are no firm gameplay concepts, rather a lose set of features he likes.

DayZ itself is a game that is heavily influenced by the community. If the community says "we would like this" Rocket will say "that sounds cool, let's try it." Ordinarily a game has a game designer that states "this is what I want my game to do and this is how I will accomplish it." That latter case is a clear vision. The former case is not.

Rocket himself stated that he currently wants to focus on the survival aspects but has not taken into consideration that simply adding more features to the game will not make them used. In one game that I work on the Chinese developers have added massive amounts of features but they are ignored in favor of the core gameplay aspects, questing and raiding. Until Rocket says "this game is a survival game and I want to add game mechanics that FORCE users to focus on it" the PvP/KoS component will remain dominant.

Edit: I will reiterate, I love many of the concepts that DayZ provides. I am not saying the game sucks or anything like that. :)

Edited by scriptfactory

I don't want to have to rely on mods to get a finished game with all the trimmings.

I would not be satisfied if the final product is a mere platform for modders.

I expect the devs to go the full 9 yards.

I want them to anticipate obvious mods that are in the spirit of DayZ and leave those that aren't to the modding community.

It might be wise to have the community play 1 game instead of 1000's of variations for the first year (or so) after release to reduce splintering.

That will also give you more time to develop DayZ ll.

If it is possible to give modders a way to test their mods without being open to the public, this proposal would give them more time to refine their mods and perhaps show them to the devs.

• Like 3

Considering I'm running skyrim with 270+ lore mods, quest fixes, detail tweaks, ai fixes and tweaks, graphics fine tuning such as tree texture replacements, town 3d enhancements, the whole fn 9 yards.......

I'm bloody giddy as a schoolgirl with a justin beiber lunch pail packed with cookies and milk. Maybe a cheese dip and breadstick snack pack to.

The pure amount of amazingness that could be brought our way is simply staggering.

When Skyrim turns into a multiplayer game and then all the servers run "Start at level 100, bests swords and armour and free dragon" then see how much you like it.

I think people are making an assumption that the DayZ mod was dead as they as individuals quit playing it. The only true drop in numbers or servers I noticed was after StandAlone came out.

Just because you quit playing it doesn't mean thousands quit playing it at the same time...

Exactly. Also, where would the mod be bow if it was the only one going? I never grew bored of the original though my mates and I did take breaks from the game only to come back a month or 2 later and play it again for another 3 months. We tried other mods but mostly for the maps - really liked panthera and Namalsk was desolate but it felt desolate so that was an awesome map too.

It's rare for a mod of a mod to be better than its predecessor. Actually, it's rare for a mod to even be as good as Dayz turned out to be. Out of the thousands and thousands of mods for games that have been released over the years; few are ever that enjoyable to me. Most of the time, the mods RUIN the game for me. A lot of games in the past have been overtaken by crummy mods that do nothing but split up the community with various forms of garbage (imo). Especially - things like having infinite overpowered items, more health, etc etc -those really ruin it for me.

But, it's always worth it, for that rare exception though. If it wasn't for mods we wouldn't have Counter Strike, Red Orchestra, and Dayz.

Yea mods will allow people to play the game in any way that they want.

There will be the heavy weapon based mods

There will be heavy role play mods

heavy survival mods

heavy carebear mods

Mods allow this to happen and as a player you have a choice to join the server you like.

What game will they be playing? It won't be DayZ as most of the servers have gone way way off base for it to even be associated with DayZ. On most of those mod servers you may as well remove the zeds and be done with it - most of them make the zombies useless anyway because they get in the way of PVP which DayZ is not about.

DayZ is surviving the horrors of a zombie apocalypse where any injury you sustain could be life threatening. Where food and water aren't readily available and the infected want your guts. Where you need to find shelter, a secure place to fend off zeds and wild animals and maybe grow some food, dig a well until that fateful night where you hear your barricades being ripped down. A random zombie horde passed too close by and smelled your living flesh and are clawing their way inside. You and your friends scramble to get your guns, shots ring out as zed heads explode. You all climb out the back window, looking over your shoulder a fire has broken out. You can see your crops burning, your livestock being ripped apart knowing you're going to have to start all over again. You have no food, limited ammo and it that a bite mark on your arm....

It is not saving up bars of gold to build tanks and jets so you can go bomb the shit out of people.

But, it's always worth it, for that rare exception though. If it wasn't for mods we wouldn't have Counter Strike, Red Orchestra, and Dayz.

C&C reborn and A path beyond.

Without mods, new vegas would have been very different.  For starters.  No hardcore mode or weapon attachments.

Need I say, no Frostfall for skyrim.

and dicks.

What's with the obsession about servers with easy settings? Nobody forces you to play there. Some people enjoy them - good, they probably wouldn't stay in regular DayZ for long anyway.

Why do you keep acting like other people's preferences affect you?