SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

Is it my imagination or are the zombies a lot faster and more persistent after the hotfix?

• Like 1

I love them being fast now, deters people from carrying two primary guns, because unless you have a crap ton of ammo, your going to get swamped by zombies, but even then your going to attract even more unwanted attention by firing your gun off to kill them/players.

Now if they would lower the spawn rate just a smidge, and fix their pathing/AI I think that they would be pretty close to being a finished project.

• Like 6

My experience with new zombies has been brilliant so far, it has really improved the game. I had not played much in the past week since I found the game a little boring but the few hours I played last night were intense!

At first I was playing on my own in Elektro. There weren't many people on the server so I wasn't afraid of bandits, but I wouldn't have been thinking of them anyway since the zombies were a real threat. One hit = bleeding which means you have to be much more quick on your feet when fighting them. Beforehand I would let a zombie come right up to me and would stay still to kill it, often getting hit once or twice in the process - that is not an option now! What is even more important is sneaking up behind them and killing them without alerting them.

Previously you would kill zombies to clear a town and then loot at your leisure, running from building to building. Now you only clear a path from building to building. Because zombies respawn you cannot double back meaning that you have to be strategic and plan your way through a city.

The numbers of zombies are also vastly improved. I turned a corner in Elektro to see six, six! zombies on the street. When I stopped in shock I was hit by a zombie that had been following me and began to bleed. I had to sprint past the zombies and zig zag between them to find a safe place to bandage. I found a ladder up the side of the building and climbed it. After bandaging myself on the roof I was faced with the conundrum of how to get down as the zombies had gathered at the base of the ladder I had climbed. It took me five minutes to scour the top of the roof for another ladder (I was playing hardcore). When I got down I decided to 'ring the dinner bell' and fired my pistol. I then had a battle with my fireaxe and killed about 15 zombies before fleeing.

Later I was playing with my friend. We were having a lot of difficulty fighting the zombies and were bleeding a lot. At one point I fell down the stairs in the fire station and my friend left to find a split. I sat in the corner with my axe raised terrified that a zombie would come in and kill me while I couldn't dodge. Again I was afraid of zombies coming into building, not players. When my friend came back he was trailing 4 zombies and I listened to the battle helplessly hoping one wouldn't come in. Later after I was fixed up I went off on my own briefly and my friend warned me, saying "Don't get eaten" when beforehand the warning was always "Don't get shot."

We ended the session with another battle, although this time we had not rung the dinner bell. We were cornered in a field outside of Elektro by zombies that came in waves on threes and fours. We were taking turns fighting with axes and bandaging and by the end of the battle must have killed at least 30 between us. All in all, Day Z has really become a zombie game. I love it!

• Like 9

I hate the new super-fast zombies... it's a mistake to include them when the engine has such a clunky melee system with god awful hit detection - not to mention the lag/desync issues... As I sprinted away from several zombies yesterday, I looked back to see the female zombie hitting me from 20 feet back while running.  shitty, shitty, shitty. 

• Like 6

Wish I could play to experience the fast hordes of zombies everyone is talking about :/  Good thing I swapped out all my bandages for rags...

The animations for zombies in general look a little better. When I was playing experimental yesterday I saw one running behind me and I thought how cool it looked.

Edited by Tibialis
  • Like 1

All you hardos sayings it is easy and they are no problem are comical really, Either you aren't playing the same game or you are lying. The problem is the spawn system. I am sure they are working to fix the myriad of problems with the Zombies (running through walls, super-awareness, etc.) but those would all be manageable if you could see what you are dealing with and gameplan. The trouble comes in when aggroed Zombies are spawning less than 20 meters from you endlessly. That is not fun, it is stupid. I would love for there to be a hoards of Zombies roaming around towns and all over the map but the busted spawing is just foolish.

• Like 7

Deal with them outside, don't for the love of god shoot at them, don't sprint while murdering them. Their friends won't spawn with agro and you go about your business.

They are different to the previous zombies but no harder to deal with. They also seem to lose pace/agro faster if you pack your shit and bail than the old ones, making them easier to get away from when it is time to disengage.

• Like 5

they don't spawn endlessly

Yeah they stop when you log out.

• Like 2

Yessir. But you forgot one KEY aspect. Good thinking, but zombies respawn within 10 seconds of their death. Close to you, within 100m.

Well you got a point... Hopefully they fix the respawn method before they fix zombies skidding down short distances and dying.

Or.... Maybe the respawn script doesn't account for zombies dying to something other than players? A guy can dream.

Or you could always do it as a two man team. One distracts while the other loots.

Still annoying as all hell, but now they actually pose a small threat.

If i run away straight forward for example, they can jump hit me easily. D:

Two things. Add a stealth mechanism like in the mod. And two add an improved melee system aoe attack based off of arc swing like guild wars

• Like 1

Freshly spawned in today, and freaked out at the new "Running Dead" and they only made looting a place harder, but I got my 2-hit kill pitchfork, so I'm ok

No This is not a zombie, its retarded. If this is how dayz is making zombies harder then it's dead to me. Zombies don't sprint. 

The zombies movies with sprinting zombies are the most ridiculous retarded shit movies. and now this game. It's turning into left for dead, or serious sam. Not bad games, but ridiculous. This is not what I got the game for. 

There is no atmosphere, either there are no zombies, or they are sprinting at you. Thats not suspenseful, doesn't seem like you're surviving tucked away in a ruined town creeping around finding supply's trying to avoid the ROTTING CORPSES walking around. Now you just go to town kill the zombies that sprint at you and it's over. What kind of lame experience is this? 

What happened to us having stamina? What happened to the horror? I know it was weak before but I thought it was getting there with the classic slow zombie walking animations. And now they are back to the old mod version of runners. This is bullshit. 

• Like 10

Pffft, walk in circly, smash by axe, still work, maybe a litle bit harder to give a hit, but still they miss

• Like 4

It'll be interesting to see how the server hoppers cope with the new zeds when fire axe spawn rates drop and they're forced to resort to 2+ hit to kill weapons. I'm getting thirsty just thinking about all of the tears.

Anyone else remember when 1.7 landed in the mod? So much rage :)

No This is not a zombie, its retarded. If this is how dayz is making zombies harder then it's dead to me. Zombies don't sprint. 

The zombies movies with sprinting zombies are the most ridiculous retarded shit movies. and now this game. It's turning into left for dead, or serious sam. Not bad games, but ridiculous. This is not what I got the game for. 

There is no atmosphere, either there are no zombies, or they are sprinting at you. Thats not suspenseful, doesn't seem like you're surviving tucked away in a ruined town creeping around finding supply's trying to avoid the ROTTING CORPSES walking around. Now you just go to town kill the zombies that sprint at you and it's over. What kind of lame experience is this? 

What happened to us having stamina? What happened to the horror? I know it was weak before but I thought it was getting there with the classic slow zombie walking animations. And now they are back to the old mod version of runners. This is bullshit. 

<warning: incoming rage>

What happened to the horror? LOL. Why don't you just freak the crap out and poop your pants everywhere while screaming in direct because the slow zombie (that is in the "movies") is 250m away from you and is coming in hot. Hollyyyy Crap that would scare the living crap out of me. 

DayZ isnt a movie, its a game, and it needs this. Just because you cant kill as many people in COD and get your "Care Packages" because you cant get stuff on your own dosent mean you can shut down other games. Stop comparing it to movies. The Mod wasn't horror. It was like poorly textured clowns that run through walls and chase you at the speed of light. If that is "Horror" to you, than you shouldnt be watching movies. Because if you saw freaking Frozen you'd cry yourself to sleep.

:DDDD

</rage> 

• Like 1

I agree, spawning to close is a real problem. I was walking down the street and they started to spawn just around me in some areas, within 50m. But otherwise, I like the new gameplay.

I agree, spawning to close is a real problem. I was walking down the street and they started to spawn just around me in some areas, within 50m. But otherwise, I like the new gameplay.

Zombies spawning period is a problem.

They shouldn't magically spawn anywhere near a player period.

When the server restarts all of the zombies that will be in the session should spawn on the map, this way you can clear towns, and take em over instead of seeing zombies spawn feet from you over and over.

• Like 5

Love the new zombies, though they are still not a challenge.

• Like 1