rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002

I've a quick question, is there anyway of knowing when the experimental stuff will be pushed to live. Is it scheduled somewhere, is there a pre-announce thread or does it just happen when it's ready?

I recommend looking at the VERY FIRST post in this thread and look for something that has "ETA" in it. It's short for "Estimated Time of Arrival" a.k.a when it's expected to be released. It gives you your answer!

Now go my grasshopper! Search and learn the master's knowledge!

Edited by MrSmooth
  • Like 1

The reason as to why the current zombie glitches are not being fixed is because the current zombies are imported from the mod and are mearly placeholders,

Zombie clipping is a major problem and abeit, one the devs are working on every day trying to fix butninstead of dean getting the artists, the animators, the map designers and so on to work on something they wouldnt have the first clue about they work on stuff in there department and leave the zombies to a crack team of coding ninjas to figure out! You get it now?

ITS A VERY HARD BUG TO FIX THAT THEY ARE CONSTANTLY WORKING ON.

I do think the zombie pathing is much improved, however! While they still clip through buildings, it seems they're avoiding things like fences and such and going around them until breaks/gates. I've also been noticing the zombies have been making an effort to actually enter the doors of buildings rather than materialize through the walls. Of course, once inside, all bets are off, but it's a definite improvement over the early "zombies run in a straight line despite all obstacles" pathing. 

My big hope for this week is that the team finds a solution to the "invisible player" bug (the current workaround for my mates and I is to hit things with out melee weapons until we become visible again). It's a drag running through a town with a group, having to stop every couple of minutes because one or more of us have gone invisible and have to start whacking trees/walls/cars with our axes until popping back into view. :(

• Like 1

Yeah, I have to agree, these Zeds have super sight and hearing evidently. I seen a spec in far off distance in a rain storm...and lo and behold, its a zed racing towards me, that saw me crouched near a tree 2 miles away. (slight exaggeration, be he was barely even to be seen). I did get one shot killed by one yesterday as well. I don't have a issue with that per say, but I had hit it with a fire axe and it one shot me as it died...I was like W T H !!!!. Maybe its because you have to have raised weapon now that makes them difficult to hit, or its just not registering the hit correctly.

My biggest gripe is all the eating, weapon loading, and zombie sounds when there are no Zeds or players even around. They happen so often, it makes one complacent, and when someone actually is near, I never seem to hear them ...   go figure.

Yea, I notice that if you stand still for a certain amount of time they will run after you, no matter how far you are. However, if you just run by and they are that far they do not do anything.  I've been in the prone position with a friend as he was afk and I laid there for about a minute staring at a zombie about 600m out, out of no where he came running at me.  lol 

I've a quick question, is there anyway of knowing when the experimental stuff will be pushed to live. Is it scheduled somewhere, is there a pre-announce thread or does it just happen when it's ready?

The best place for this info is Rocket's twitter page or the DayZ sub-reddit (devs flair). For 0.37 there was an announcement on the DayZ tumblr account last week, it will be pushed to stable tomorrow (5th March).

The Dev tracker sub-forum is also good for seeing all the posts by devs on the various social media sites.

Edited by Young Trotsky
  • Like 2

...just thinking aloud, I was playing a lot with WoW mod servers, not to mention them now here, and at the beginning there was a mayor problem with NPCs clipping buildings etc. later that was fixed pretty easy, giving invisible collide map that NPCs used to calculate routes. That would be a nice addition to current zombies, right now there is no clipping through concrete fences, that's a starting point.

Make one or two members run map and make those clipping fences where buildings are, and make use of doors, if closed no passage...

Also, when zombies see me once, I simply cannot get away from them, they just follow me never giving up. Shouldn't there be a max range at wich zombies could notice something. You can't go near them and silently pass, they will see you.

And when there is no line of sight, they should stop following me, or do they have sense of smell so they can smell where I run?

Cheers...

Edited by Warlock

Just wanted to share a good video made from experimental yesterday. (I am not the youtuber)

You may not be a youtuber, but you sir are an axe wielding maniac.  Well done.  You are also a bad person, shooting that guy in the face with no thought.  Shame on you.  Shame.  In all fun, of course.

Liking the increased zombies.  Still not nearly enough, but it's a step in the right direction.

Why the fuck is so dark in London at 17:00 PM?

Admins, turn on the light pls :D

* UK server at ~17.00 PM

Try turning clouds on... Clouds off darkness comes at about 17:00 and when clouds are on its about 18:00

Why the fuck is so dark in London at 17:00 PM?

Admins, turn on the light pls :D

* UK server at ~17.00 PM

UK is dark at that time in winter. Even now we're in to March sunset is 17:53 today where I live.

Just wanted to share a good video made from experimental yesterday. (I am not the youtuber)

Too much FoV and KoS IMHO. Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Assuming that was a video from experimental?

Yes it is.

The best place for this info is Rocket's twitter page or the DayZ sub-reddit (devs flair). For 0.37 there was an announcement on the DayZ tumblr account last week, it will be pushed to stable tomorrow (5th March).

The Dev tracker sub-forum is also good for seeing all the posts by devs on the various social media sites.

Thanks for the info. Haven't played for weeks, because I only play Hardcore and there is no experimental server for that.

20 - 30 people working on the game? Really? Or are the assets frozen already? ;)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling...but then I haven't seen any progress if there was any, because there was no update to stable.

Luckily I learned to ignore the dev teasing and fanboi jabbering about how this is still the best thing since mommy...nothing to look forward to brings no disappointments.

Thanks for the info. Haven't played for weeks, because I only play Hardcore and there is no experimental server for that.

20 - 30 people working on the game? Really? Or are the assets frozen already? ;)

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling...but then I haven't seen any progress if there was any, because there was no update to stable.

Luckily I learned to ignore the dev teasing and fanboi jabbering about how this is still the best thing since mommy...nothing to look forward to brings no disappointments.

There are several US Experimental servers set to hardcore.  

There are several US Experimental servers set to hardcore.  

Cheers for the info. At least something, although I doubt that my ping will be good enough.

I must admit surely it would be better to fix the current zombies rather than adding to the problem by making more. I question whether zombies clipping through everything will ever be fixed! in my opinion i think it needs to be fixed before any cooking/physics/vehicles/clothing/painting/zombies are added.

It's not the zombies, it's the buildings... they need to be configured for zombie pathing - no small feat.  When the alpha was released, the only building configured for zombie pathing was the hospital - which is why they were able to go up stairs and didn't run through the walls in that building.  I'm not sure what other buildings have since been configured (I would hope the ones they've just added are, but I haven't tested this).  It's a work in progress and will likely take some time to fix. Why hold up one team of developers while another team is is working on something else?  That doesn't make sense at all.

Cheers for the info. At least something, although I doubt that my ping will be good enough.

There are experimental hardcore servers in the US, in Europe (UK, DE, SE, FR) and also in Australia, I believe.  It's always been that way.  Now, they've added even more servers.

• Like 2

Any word on ETA to stable? Is Wednesday's maintenance period a possibility? Keep up the great work!

EDIT: I can't read. Nevermind

Edited by RangerFire
  • Like 1

yep supposed to be in morning.

hopes the new patch to experimental is also then B)

• Like 1

Half of the experimental servers are hardcore, it has been that way since I started playing about a month ago, thanks for your cool stories.

I thought they were waiting another week for a push to stable, with as much stuff as they could cram into experimental, making a bigger patch?

That global comms bug is a great addition to the experimental branch.

What a fantastic day!