rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002

So it seems Rocket indirectly addressed my concerns about the lack of patch notes and general communication WRT experimental:

I'm sorry, but for months you managed to provide a changelog, and never needed to provided an accurate changelog. The changelog was always highlighting the most important changes and leaving out the minor stuff. What the devs don't seem to understand is that we don't know what we're supposed to test, would it kill them to post a brief note with the most important changes that could use feedback on the bug tracker?

Agreed. I'm sorry, but producing a changelog only requires a "quite time consuming" effort if you don't have good internal organization and structure for reviewing and managing your implementation policy. I get that the devs are busy, but the things that seem to take them effort shouldn't be an effort. If they took the time to save themselves time, if you get what I'm saying, their processes would be more streamlined across the board.

Sounds to me like they could use a project manager.

Edited by urvile
  • Like 1

To all of you that are moaning! Buy Arma 3, download Breaking Point, and come back to standalone in 6 months when it is a different game!!! Plus with Arma 3 there are a lot more cool modes than just Breaking Point! Enjoy!!!

Edited by JamesLennoxHood

Sounds to me like they could use a project manager.

They have a Scrum master.

1 word to describe my experimental experience so far:  Beanies.

Christ, there are beanies everywhere -  as well as just plain hats in general...at least we'll all be fashionable and have hats for every occasion.

• Like 1

1 word to describe my experimental experience so far:  Beanies.

Christ, there are beanies everywhere -  as well as just plain hats in general...at least we'll all be fashionable and have hats for every occasion

I just came here to find out that hopefully they were adding more colours of wool coat and hats for every occasion. I really need a different hat for every situation i get myself into, hats are what takes up half my inventory space and its so reassuring to hear that they have got the priorities for the game in the right order, thank you so much BI!!

Edited by JamesLennoxHood

I knew I wasn't alone in seeing hat central all over the map haha. Even if they made more shirts/pants available, it would be better than hats. I'm not sure what the loot tables look like, but it would be a little more realistic to have more shirts/pants scattered about than hats in an apocalyptic scenario imo.

I knew I wasn't alone in seeing hat central all over the map haha. Even if they made more shirts/pants available, it would be better than hats. I'm not sure what the loot tables look like, but it would be a little more realistic to have more shirts/pants scattered about than hats in an apocalyptic scenario imo.

My guess is that they increased the amount of hats spawned when they released them so players would have an easier time finding the different ones and check them out. I'm sure they will tweak it later so that we don't have to wade through an ocean of hats.

They have a Scrum master.

Having a scrum master implies that they should also be having regular development sprints of fixed duration (typically 2-4 weeks), a "product owner" who represents the customers, and a tracked product and sprint backlog of enhancements and features.  It also suggests that every release should be stable, adding only those features that can be completed within the timeframe of the sprint.

From the end user's (our) perspective, it looks like they pack a bunch of new features together into an update with no rhyme or reason as to the priority or the timing, deploy them into experimental without much integration testing and then go back and try and fix everything.

• Like 2

Having a scrum master implies that they should also be having regular development sprints of fixed duration (typically 2-4 weeks), a "product owner" who represents the customers, and a tracked product and sprint backlog of enhancements and features.  It also suggests that every release should be stable, adding only those features that can be completed within the timeframe of the sprint.

From the end user's (our) perspective, it looks like they pack a bunch of new features together into an update with no rhyme or reason as to the priority or the timing, deploy them into experimental without much integration testing and then go back and try and fix everything.

Yeah. I said that in response to "they should have a project manager". You don't have a project manager in the typical sense when working with Scrum.

Yeah. I said that in response to "they should have a project manager". You don't have a project manager in the typical sense when working with Scrum.

Can't say I've ever worked with that system, but I looked into it a bit when you mentioned it. Looks interesting, but I think either way, it's supposed to result in organizational structure that allows you to set, keep track of, and implement the targeted goals for testing and production. Which if you have in place, generating a changelog for the current highlights of your working build would be easy and not very timeconsuming. I mean....don't you NEED an internal changelog of some kind, just to keep track of where you are, what you're doing, what you're working on, and what's already happened for your development team?

Dean said he is writing out the update notes now 

Looks like we're all go for a rollout of 0.44 to stable tomorrow! Brian tell's me it's ready, changelog being written now #DayZDaily

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :D

Edit: Nope. :( I meant experimental patch notes. That's for stable.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :D

Edit: Nope. :( I meant experimental patch notes. That's for stable.

they have already commented on that and said they are adding and removing stuff in experimental to often to deem it worth posting it ... and with all the flaming that happens if they posted something added and it doesnt work right or they remove it ... cant say i blame them for not taking the time to write it out ... as for the new .45 patch its them testing the loot respawn mechanics 

Edited by dennisph

they have already commented on that and said they are adding and removing stuff in experimental to often to deem it worth posting it ... and with all the flaming that happens if they posted something added and it doesnt work right or they remove it ... cant say i blame them for not taking the time to write it out ... as for the new .45 patch its them testing the loot respawn mechanics 

The build is sent to Steam for distribution, there's no way to "remove" something without redistribute again another build (unless it is server side; but in this case you're not going to add it into the client changelog). A second after the build is published, you know perfectly what's into it (and what has been removed). You don't need to write a changelog: it's generated automatically by your repository software (you could eventually make it more user readable or censor/remove the info that shouldn't be shown to the final user). I don't know why they come up with this idea of compiling the changelog manually... unless they are really writing their dev things on a bloc notes with a pencil. :)

they have already commented on that and said they are adding and removing stuff in experimental to often to deem it worth posting it ... and with all the flaming that happens if they posted something added and it doesnt work right or they remove it ... cant say i blame them for not taking the time to write it out ...

I don't want to sound bitchy but am not really interested in apologetics, all I am going to say is this: #2617.

as for the new .45 patch its them testing the loot respawn mechanics

I seriously doubt that will be the only change, but I guess it's up to the community to find and post them. Edited by DarkwaveDomina

Still 40 players on stable, 30 on experimental, boring...

When it comes to community management the story of World of Tanks comes to mind.

World of Tanks was originally budgeted for a market of 600 000 users, in Russia and neighbouring countries. Last year they passed the 60 million mark and hold the Guiness World Record of "most concurrent users on one server". The game grew bigger and faster than Wargaming.net could imagine, and needless to say their community management was chaos for a long while. They were a small studio and didn't know how to handle such a large player base, nor did they have the resources in manpower to do so. They tried to catch up by expanding with offices and community managers in different areas of the world to deal with the respective player bases (as different areas of the world needs to be managed differently). It took them quite a while to get there. I'm not sure how it is today, but I do remember the vast work they had to put into it.

DayZ might have grown larger than Bohemia expected, and they might not have considered the different approach that is needed when it comes to managing a larger player base as opposed to a smaller one. Hopefully they realise they need to work on this before it gets even more out of hand. The sooner they realise this the less work will be needed to deal with it, and the less disgruntled players they will have.

On a related note World of Tanks also had trouble getting their patches out in time for quite a while. They often missed deadlines and updates were delayed by weeks. Nowadays as I understand it they have quarter yearly patches.

All Bohemia would need is one professional individual to handle PR, instead of Hicks having to have feuds on Twitter and develop the game at the same time.

• Like 1

Topic is outdated, new patches have been released.

Locked.

• Like 1