Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

OMG chill...

• He will stay for 10 more months
  • He is not "the only game making god"
  • We should respect his wish to go home

Please read my article, i explained in detail why this is not the end of the world.

That's not an article, that's a blog post. :)

• Like 1

No wonder 'famous' people and celebs act the way they do when there is an army of plebeian morons supporting every pointless action they make.

The guy could have said 'it's a flawed concept that's obviously not going to work, therefore we're abandoning the project and it'll stay at aplha'

There would be an army of people supporting and defending this. it's a facet of a wider problem with modern society, people are willing to accept everything that's forced down theirs throats and they'll be happy about it ffs!!

I am one of the people supporting Dean on this issue so you're basically speaking for me there, allow me to reply:

Actually if they were abandoning the project I'd be pretty fucking mad.

Good thing they're not abandoning the project and your wild comparison is not relevant at all, isn't it.

problem is who taking over?

please don't make matt lightfoot new boss :o

for sure he is nice guy and also good for coding but natural leader who inspire and commanding respect?  :huh:

I don't think he is best man for job

best thing is new guy fresh eyes but someone with SUCCESS LEAD DEV EXPERIENCE who understand rocket vision and have energy and passion for drive this game into future ;)

He has done his job as he said,

The game will not die without him, he is leaving it in the hands of BI because he knows its going to be well taken care off

"...i will remain until bohemia wants/needs me..." His job is already done, he will follow up until the end of the year but as he also said BI doesn't need me shouting at everything that its done

And regarding the comment that the game is flawed, its flawed in his vision, doesnt mean the game itself is bad, i personally think its gonna be awesome in a few more months

But i do understand the confusion it creates, people might think he is turning down what he in the first place created and even saying that it will never be a good product

All in all, they are comments on a personal voyage, about him moving on to more personal projects, not abandoning something that he Thinks it as no future

Its pretty simple really, often the guys best suited to bring a game or concept to market are not the best guys to systematically develop it. I don't think Dean is the person best suited to run development at this point. I suspect BI came to this conclusion and asked him to leave.

• Like 1

This is what I feel is happening/happened:

- Dean develops DayZ mod for Arma II

- BI recognizes it could be a standalone game and incentivizes Dean to be the lead designer, he accepts.

- Dean gets a team to work on the SA

- Since BI is not sure about how many units they'll be able to sell, they advise releasing an early access version. (To see what interest is out there)

- Dean's team rework the RV3 engine to suit the SA better, Early access goes live.

- millions of ppl buy the early access. Money rolls in.

- Dean realizes he can't implement everything he wanted in the game due to engine limitations. His team advises him they have just hit a iceberg and time to get out before the shit hits the fan.

- Since reworking the game fundamentally (new engine) is not plausible:

- Dean decides to move on, take the money he made and put it into his own studio.

Future:

- Dean creates a new game studio, hires a team

- The new project will probably be another survival simulator with a completely new engine that can actually accommodate everything he wanted. 

- The engine will be either bought from another developer or developed in-house<-- doubtful) 

- Since he won't have enough money, he will most likely start a kickstarter campaign or early access. In it:

- Dean will most likely reference DayZ as his creation to get money for his new project, but he will outline DayZ's flaws and how he won't make the same mistakes again.

- People will support his new project. Most will stop playing DayZ and move over to his new project.

- DayZ SA will be finished and released but only the most dedicated players will continue playing it. 

- Continuous development of DayZ will slowly stop as BI will notice servers are slowly dissapearing and there is less and less interest.

I don't know what will happen, but somehow you had the same vision I had...well, but I can wait. This "new project" will be far in the future in until then I enjoy a nice round of DayZ...or more than one ;)

But on the other hand...I don't know if that will happen fast (people wandering off, development stop etc.)

I agree. By the time his new project is up and running with a playable alpha (maybe 2016-2017), DayZ SA will most likely be played to death, so good timing.

This is what I feel is happening/happened:

- Dean develops DayZ mod for Arma II

- BI recognizes it could be a standalone game and incentivizes Dean to be the lead designer, he accepts.

- Dean gets a team to work on the SA

- Since BI is not sure about how many units they'll be able to sell, they advise releasing an early access version. (To see what interest is out there)

- Dean's team rework the RV3 engine to suit the SA better, Early access goes live.

- millions of ppl buy the early access. Money rolls in.

- Dean realizes he can't implement everything he wanted in the game due to engine limitations. His team advises him they have just hit a iceberg and time to get out before the shit hits the fan.

- Since reworking the game fundamentally (new engine) is not plausible:

- Dean decides to move on, take the money he made and put it into his own studio.

Future:

- Dean creates a new game studio, hires a team

- The new project will probably be another survival simulator with a completely new engine that can actually accommodate everything he wanted. 

- The engine will be either bought from another developer or developed in-house<-- doubtful) 

- Since he won't have enough money, he will most likely start a kickstarter campaign or early access. In it:

- Dean will most likely reference DayZ as his creation to get money for his new project, but he will outline DayZ's flaws and how he won't make the same mistakes again.

- People will support his new project. Most will stop playing DayZ and move over to his new project.

- DayZ SA will be finished and released but only the most dedicated players will continue playing it. 

- Continuous development of DayZ will slowly stop as BI will notice servers are slowly dissapearing and there is less and less interest.

Haha, subtle and probably true :)

to the people SO deeply emotionally invovled in beleiving in rocket's flawless vision and integrity...

i'm sorry.

the cult leader left while you we're making the punch.

he had a cheque to cash.

Yea I'm afraid you are correct, Not surprised by this. What will surprise me is a finished product..

I'd just like to point out, I've just now realized that people in this thread seem to think Dean is the only person developing the game.

Seriously, Dean leaves, life goes on, DayZ gets worked on.

• Like 5

I was upset at first but I realized this is exactly what people need to understand.

Visionaries are great at coming up with a concept or idea and getting the ball rolling. However if you keep them on too long they become a hindrance by pushing the project a million different directions.

Dean was doing this with the game already by all the different things he wanted to bring in. Is it a bad thing? Yes and No. Yes because it leaves the game with no clear direction and the development process can get sidetracked easily. Also, no because they constantly bring new ideas to the table and usually get really creative.

Dean has seen what he is doing with the game and I think he partially understands he is the one to blame for the slow development by being extremely picky with what he wants in his "baby".

*edit* Copied my post from reddit. Had to insert spaces.

Edited by CrazyCorky
  • Like 4

dgeesio, on 24 Feb 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

:o

make no mistake..

KoS killed this game...

i'll bet Deans next game has mechanics in place from the get go, that limit the douche level the game community within can be..

• Like 2

Losing all your stuff upon dying!!!!!

I don't want to invest hours just to lose it to some jerk or clan members trolling a server.

That is the biggest fault and issue with this game.

I dont want to lose all my shit... !!!! Here me ... Fix that.. I don't want vehicles or anything... that is all pointless if we spend hours getting it just to lose it... 

Because of that I haven't played in a while. Though I am interested in the concept and idea. This kills it for me.. Why invest time into something that you cant show anything for, or can be all taken away in a second. 

Im pasting this in from another thread because panic is beating reason at this point:

If you're a fan of Dean Hall then you respect his decision to leave the game in capable hands - hands of professional game developers with a formula that clearly has appealed to most, if not all of us so far. If you were never a fan of his then you should be relieved to see him walk from the project before 2015.

Either way you slice it, its reasonable to argue that this is the best thing that could happen to DayZ.

We as a community have more power to make this game into what we want than most realize. Take your finger off the panic button and disregard Deal Hall's questionable choice of wording.

The man has other dreams to pursue in his lifetime, why cant he get on with his goals and leave the solid foundation of DayZ with you, me, and BI?

• Like 2

Not to drive this topic off course, but frankie is a massive suspected hacker that has been banned from multiple servers for it. There are numerous hacking accusations on him, and that does not suprise me. He barely dies. He did not and never will nor have influinced me to buy DayZ. Quite a boring youtuber in my opinion. Dean made me buy this game, him being an inspiration. I understand though that he wants to be with his family, and he probably doesn't even need to work anymore after this.

You do understand that his videos are edited to tell an interesting story, right? Stuff that he deems uninteresting or disrupting to the story get cut out. There's clearly quite a lot that you don't see happening in the videos, like him dying for example. Consider him playing for 12 - 24 hours and editing that together to 30 - 45 minutes of video.

----------------------------------

A couple of thoughts about Dean Hall leaving:

It's amazing to see how many people think it's news that he's leaving, even though he's hinted at it for a long time.

It's equally amazing to see how many people fail to understand that he's not leaving now, but at the earliest in about ten months time.

All those who think all the money paid for the standalone goes straight into Dean's pockets are just plain wrong. He probably get's a pretty good pay, but it's not even close to "all the money".

In closing, what I'm most interested in is, who will take over as project lead?

I'm saving my goodbyes until Dean actually leaves.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 1

That is the biggest fault and issue with this game.

I dont want to lose all my shit... !!!! Here me ... Fix that.. I don't want vehicles or anything... that is all pointless if we spend hours getting it just to lose it... 

Because of that I haven't played in a while. Though I am interested in the concept and idea. This kills it for me.. Why invest time into something that you cant show anything for, or can be all taken away in a second. 

How much did you research this game before buying it? Permadeath a key, core concept and will never go away.

• Like 5

I've had 150 hours of fun so far. I've also spent $30 on toilet paper and gotten far less enjoyment out of it, so I'm not going to cry. Life goes on. DayZ goes on. We can all keep KoSing and being douchey to each other long after Dean leaves to play banjo on Flight of the Conchords or whatever he said he's doing.

• Like 3

Good luck to him, some people hear the call from home. I'm sure he's had a blast, you know when one door closes, you just open it again, cause. err.. that's how doors work..

• Like 1

I'm a little sad. But...
I will do the only sensible thing there is to do:

Wait it out and see where it goes. No reason for undue stress over wild speculation garnered from a scant few words you probably don't even have the whole context for.
Why put yourselves through that kind of trauma? You are human beings. Act like it. You have self-awareness, use it.

Regret, whine, complain, feel cheated, feel entiteld---Save these things for when the preverbial shit actually does hit the fan, ducklings.
To do so before hand, or in anticipation for, is just a waste of energy and time.

And honestly, most of the complaints on this forum are from people who have absolutely zero insight on game development.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 3

Called it.

So did Rocket several months ago.

I see everyone quoting his answer but.... what was the question that led up to this being his answer? 

I freaked out a lil at first but a bit of reading it was obvious he just wants to go back home to NZ and not live in Prague forever. He's not abandoning the game, he just wants to go home. That's the difference.