Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

well, he is abandoning his creative oversight of the game.

before it's finished.

he made his money. more power to him i guess.

it's a shame this game will never be complete and the person we put funding and hope into decides to f*ck off and leave the project.

• Like 1

That second link was just sad to read. We have people like that in this very community.

i'd have more sympathy for him if he spent less time on twitter and twitch and more time MAKING THE GAME

• Like 1

"The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete." ~ Software Development Cycle

WHICH MEANS, we have all these features coming during these phase.

Already we have major security vulnerbalites fixed, weapons being added every few weeks, minor optmizations, new towns and areas, further function interactions, larger servers on the way, as well as more zombies, with vehicales, base building and more on the way.

Also take the time to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Then, explain to me how he's running off with the money when BI is the one that owns the game, he doesn't make that much money off this, he is a consultant, is staying through, even longer if needed to make sure the game goes in the right direction, while  also working hard with a dev team that has been doing a good job of working on this game to the best of it's limitations. Especially when you consider the fact that Dean is actually making a wise move to back off on the game once its reached the point of no longer needing him. The game is not just succesful because of him alone, it is because he and a dev team and a company worked together to help make this game from the basis of the mod he created. As far as I can tell, he's helping out and slowly letting go of the bike with training wheels because the little one is growing up and doesn't need much longer.

And finally to this point, if it really bothers you that much and you don't want to take the time and effort to read his thoughts over the past few months as well as attempt to follow the information that most of us have been doing through the development of this game, then I would recommend walking away from the game, go find something else and move on.

I will walk away from this post because it looks like a load of dribble, you have added nothing new to it.

I would recommend you think before you talk. First you talk about how the game does not need dean.

Then you tell me 'if i dont take the time to read his thoughts' i should walk away from the game.

Which one is it ??

I will walk away from the game once my predictions come true not when some brown nose suggests it thanks.

You just can't stop talking bollocks, can you.

i'll say this for sure: 1.5 million people WON'T be supporting him next time.

way less next time.

You just can't stop talking bollocks, can you.

You talk just as much.

I would put the definition of idiot up on here but i don't think it would be worth it.

domina has something invested in this that defies reason.

we were ripped off/left to hang.

he wants modders to finish the job for him.

end of story.

Edited by pacific_coast

no. he made his millions and now this project is useless to him. he's a jerk.

he just want to make more money and now he starting his own gaming company and since dayz made him experienced, famous and rich it will be easy for him.

I hope you're making a parody of the doom posts, because if you're serious it's a shame. I usually like your posts in general.

Edit: And I just knew pacific_coast would have redirected blood flow over it.

You'd actually think he was enjoying this news, despite claiming to be upset by it.

You like his posts but you never show it.

Shows what type of person you are.

i'd have more sympathy for him if he spent less time on twitter and twitch and more time MAKING THE GAME

i'll say this for sure: 1.5 million people WON'T be supporting him next time.

way less next time.

The way you're acting makes a very petty, very small part of me quite happy. You're in full forum rage mode and acting like a complete something-the-mods-won't-like-me-saying, but in the end no matter how many posts you make or how much you stamp your feet BI already have your money for this project, you staying or leaving is completely inconsequential at this point.

Luckily for you development will continue, the grown up part of me (which I like to think is by far most of me) sincerely hopes you can look back on these posts in a year and think "wow, I was such a muppet when I wrote a hundred posts of pure nonsense, the game is actually getting along quite nicely and I am having fun playing DayZ".

You talk just as much.

I would put the definition of idiot up on here but i don't think it would be worth it.

You know that's actually quite ironic considering how often I see "africanhungergames liked a post you made" in my notifications, it's funny how rage-mode some people can get just because you disagree with them on one issue.

You like his posts but you never show it.

Shows what type of person you are.

I don't even know what you are on about here, I am pretty sure I have given him beans and replied to his posts on numerous occasions, though I don't do that for every post I like or I'd be forever giving beans and replying to people.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

Let me summarize this thread for everyone:

1) Dean gives a four hour interview, and Eurogamer picked the juiciest, most controversial thing out of it because JOURNALISM.

2) Everyone goes ape shit and acts like retarded children, throwing the entire concept of THIS IS ALPHA out the window. "He's abandoning us in ten months, so the game will fail!" Bonus points if you've told other people "sorry, but alpha!" in the past.

*speculative*

3) Dean walks away from the industry in disgust, spending a year (or more) climbing the majestic peaks and rock faces of Greenland instead of making us more goddamn games.

This is why we can't have nice things, people. You guys just shit all over everything.

• Like 2

He said he was leaving when the team no longer needs him. Please don't read too much into this, he never said a concrete time he was leaving, for all we know he could leave in 2015 or later.

Wow thats some hatefull shit right there....

I dont believe he is doing the best thing for himself or the game ( he could have taken a side seat gone back to nz stayed on as a consultant for dayz he could have worded his decision better...

But damn he doesnt deserve to be burned at the stake.....

Hell maybe what he is doing is the best thing we are all speculating here but no body deserves this big a hit .

Good move i dont think so but do i feel he robbed me nope 30$ for all the fun i had in the mod and SA is cheap i just hope the future is still there for SA...

• Like 1

That second link was just sad to read. We have people like that in this very community.

What do you expect, he's leaving in ALPHA, why are you so blind to see this is disrespectful and unprofessional?.

Let me summarize this thread for everyone:

1) Dean gives a four hour interview, and Eurogamer picked the juiciest, most controversial thing out of it because JOURNALISM.

2) Everyone goes ape shit and acts like retarded children, throwing the entire concept of THIS IS ALPHA out the window. "He's abandoning us in ten months, so the game will fail!" Bonus points if you've told other people "sorry, but alpha!" in the past.

*speculative*

3) Dean walks away from the industry in disgust, spending a year (or more) climbing the majestic peaks and rock faces of Greenland instead of making us more goddamn games.

This is why we can't have nice things, people. You guys just shit all over everything.

Hey i just want that ULTIMATE zombie game i really ask for no more or less. If i have to get my fix through games like Dying Light and Enemy Within than so be it.

Luckily for you development will continue

oh yeah, it will.

the game will be shit on release, but it'll get released.

the lead dev jumping ship means it's gonna be great.

that lead dev, just too much of a perfectionist to handle flawed concept such as dayz.

not worth his time. he's above something as trivial as dayz.

next project!

money side of it im not bothered about im bothered about how the game will go as i just want to play dayz and have fun. rocket himself says he has to go in scream off about ideas if he isnt doing it in vital stages who is .?

i think the team will do a professional job but will it be the dayz we want or some arma 3 sidebreed which none or little want.

What do you expect, he's leaving in ALPHA, why are you so blind to see this is disrespectful and unprofessional?.

This is what I mean when I keep saying people don't read.

• He's leaving at the end of the year.
  • Alpha is scheduled to be over at the end of the year.

Why are you so blind to fail to see the words on the screen in font of you?

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

So many children QQing.

He is creative lead as far as I am concerned, and his behaviour is what is seen and accepted in many projects - are all of you so naive.  In any deveopment project you need a "plant",a person that drives the creativity.

AS far as I am concerned I don't really have any issues.  10 months to drive creativity, backed up by a professional coding team - who will continue to update.  Seriously, some of you have real issues.

Im sorry but who is this professional coding team you speak of? Do you know dayz project is 3 people? When dean hall made the free dayz mod he had 2 friends who helped make it happen. Bohemia then saw that dayz was creating millions of sales for arma2 so they gave dean hall a signing bonus and project lead in hope he would open a studio and get a bunch of developers together to make it a standalone game.. Its what he chose to do with this bonus and project lead that was surprising.. He didnt hire anyone new or open a studio, he stuck with the same mod crew and thats it. So what we have is a group of small time game modders. There is no dayz game company. its just published by bohemia interactive and on the main menu it just says "created by dean hall" which is just the biggest joke of all.

You need a game company to make a game.. Indie game developers usually start their own teams and give themselves a name like, Insomnia, Uig, Hammerpoint, Gearbox.. etc. What is dayz game company called? Dean hall?

So when you say dayz professional coding team it just makes me laugh because there is nothing professional about the coding of dayz.. Ask any real game developer and they are able to recognize how poorly coded dayz really is. In fact, every change we see in dayz is just in fact just a modification of the arma2 code. So it is in fact very much a mod.. It IS still a mod. Melee items are no more than guns with an effective range of 12-36 inches, broken legs are no more than just going prone, jump is just a re-animation of the arma2 step-over animation, the added bayonets to the weapon do not function, the inventory is just a re-skin of the existing arma2 inventory..  there really is nothing "new" coded into dayz, its still 100% dependent on arma2's interface. The only new things added by dayz "professional coding team" that you seem to imagine is no more than cosmetic items like motorcycle helmets and shirts. If you took arma2 away from dayz you would be left with an empty white screen and a floating motorcycle helmet.

So you might want to do some research before calling others naive.. You just base your statements on what you imagine the dayz team might be.. There is no dayz developer team.. Its just two people not even working in the same room.

• Like 1

There is no way in hell this game will be feature complete, or anything close to it by the end of the year. And Dean not sticking around until it is is extremely disappointing to be honest.

Why would he do that exactly?

And this leads me to the comment I have been making to my friends:  Dean seems to be saying he wants to put everything plus the kitchen sink into this game.  My one friend who is in the field of game development (he is on the art side but has worked for major publishers on AAA games like Halo 3 and Destiny) says that DayZ is a long way from being a real stable product and seems to lack a focused design doc.  Everytime I see things like Dean wanting to add horses and dogs and underground bases, I am left wondering if he and his team really want to make a finished game anytime soon or if they even know what is achievable.

Then again, I agree with this 100%. As much as I love his original idea, it's like he has no idea whatsoever where to go with this game. For bases alone he wants tents, underground bases, barricaded buildings, Dead Linger style construction system (??!) and much more even though it's realistically unachievable. Who knows, maybe it turns out to be a good thing for the game although I doubt it myself.

• Like 1

Some of the comments are good

"The roadmap renames Zombies as Ghosts in keeping with the engines 'flawed concept'

Thats explain why they pass trough wall.

And

Are you crazy?! Pooping is essential to gameplay! /s

I liked pooping..

Just read the good stuff

unfortunately dean's imminent departure spells doom for dayz. it is his uncompromising vision to make the game what it is that largely keeps bohemia from perceiving the act of making it as a series of business decisions to please a paying audience. without his guidance, the game will be reduced to something catering to the loudest moans from the COD generation and will never reach its full potential. we've come so far to see it end here because the pressure of doing something like this is extremely difficult to manage and continued involvement bears diminishing returns. Really sad news for anyone who has come to hope that dayz would become something more than it had been with the mod.