Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

Ok you`re right sorry, i read the news on german websites which did not quote this. Would be very interested in the context of this quote, i know rocket has a tendency to talk without any "business phrases" and he is very honest but i guess this quote is a bit misleading without context. But i have to agree this is nothing i want to read from a project lead in the early phase of an alpha i spent money for...

Totally agree with you ! 

I think peoples are freaking out because of the flawed concept quote.

Can somebody with a twitter account ask him to elaborate on this please ?

I think iBane got it nearly right:

To say that something isn't perfect or an exhaustive expression of all your hopes, dreams, ideas, and intentions doesn't mean it's a failure.  It means there are other ideas that need to be developed.  It means the quest for perfection is never at an end.  It means all things, no matter how good they are, can still be improved.  

Because the concept is flawed or doesn't encompass everything Dean would like to do in his career, doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't worth doing.   

Feel free to somehow feel cheated if you want, but I certainly don't.  I've gotten my $$$ out of DayZ SA already and it's only in Alpha.  Compared to the Alpha conditions of other games like RUST, The Dead Linger, or (dare I say) The War Z,  DayZ SA's alpha build is miles ahead of the typical alpha.  

It's preposterous, in my opinion, to suggest this game - if you've played other alphas for any length of time - was just a money-grab scam.

And here's what rocket said on reddit:

I want to make the ultimate multiplayer game at some time in my career. DayZ is not and was never intended to be the ultimate multiplayer game.

While this aim might not ever be achievable, it helps me be very critical of all the work I do and keep aspiring to do good and new things.

But some core issues with a game should not be addressed by changing the game, as they are risky and could destabilize the whole project to fix them - and change the experience completely.

tl;dr - I don't think DayZ is the best game I can make. Once my value to the DayZ project ceases I want to make better games.

And for gods sake (or whoever you worship) please don't get hung up now on the "not the best game i can make" -.-

He wants a perfect game. DayZ can not be perfect. That's the flaw.

..he IS far to direct and honest for a lot of people.

Edit: And also:

FTAz2pF.png

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 3

dean got enough money to open a new studio and make new better games , though abandoning the thing and people who brought the money. Even dayz will not be like what he have imagined , this action is selfish and outrageous . Leaving it to good hands doesn't say anything at all

Edited by Polyandras
  • Like 2

It sucks to see him go, but at least he gave us 10 months warning and will continue to be part of the development for that time.

He could have just not said anything and disappeared at the end of this year. The guys transparent, he tells us whats going on and what hes going to do.

dean got enough money to open a new studio and make new better games , though abandoning the thing and people who brought the money. Even dayz will not be like what he have imagined , this action is selfish and outrageous . Leaving it to good hands doesn't say anything at all

It's in Dean's interest that this game keep selling well, he forfeited his rights to the profits when he sold them to BI. His income from DayZ now comes from royalties, which work on a per unit sold basis.

• Like 1

Just be really cautious when his studio comes out with another early access asking for money.  

Only people that'll be handing him cash are the apologists in this thread tbh.

Just be really cautious when his studio comes out with another early access asking for money.  

Actually I'll be treating those games with the same level of scepticism I do with every early access game, thank you very much.

• Like 1

Because I feel it does and could care less what some mod thinks.

...Rocket should have said that:

"Before purchasing this game, please understand we have released this game in ALPHA in order to get as much cash as possible so I can leave the project and set up my own studio - inevitably taking the most talented workers on DayZ with me. Although I have previously expressed this is my 'baby' I have no interest in working on it any further."

and go ahead and abuse your powers to ban me or whatever. Still get to play the game.

• Like 1

Had I known Rocket was going to abandon this project before it was completed, I would not have pre-ordered. Folks can say what they want about him giving plenty of notice - leaving a project is not like leaving a run-of-the-mill position. I can appreciate that he's homesick, but this will damage his reputation.

yes. rocket fanboys and apologists will be his only customers in the future.

i don't care at all about his perfect vision or ulitmate game.

i want the game that was started 4 years ago to be finished

He will continue making great games with his own studio. DayZ's roadmap is pretty much set and now it is the time to implement it. The current dev team can finish his vision without him.

I hear there is a replacement already lined up.....let me see.....ah yes a Mr Sergey Titov......

Actually were kind of laughing about this over at the ISS forums right now. LOL

Seriously it's like he abandons his baby to an orphanage

FTAz2pF.png

We all know the "once he is finished" part.But according to his behavior and stance,i don't see himself much passionate about it.

It's like "i have to,because i have a contract" kind of thing,and not "i'm very excited about this,and will strive every day to make the game better".That's not what a man in his position should be like in my opinion.

• Like 1

yes. rocket fanboys and apologists will be his only customers in the future.

i don't care at all about his perfect vision or ulitmate game.

i want the game that was started 4 years ago to be finished

Well I wouldn't go that far, if he came out with something that clearly looked polished, that didn't look like a 3 year wait till the game is done sure.  

Don't be coming around here with your early access, try the beta now bullshit Dean.  Polished release or GTFO.  Go look at banished, that's one guy mate.  He ain't asking me for fuking money to alpha test his shit.

Edited by electroban

It's in Dean's interest that this game keep selling well, he forfeited his rights to the profits when he sold them to BI. His income from DayZ now comes from royalties, which work on a per unit sold basis.

he didn't have a choice.

BI said "make a dayz SA, or sell us the dayZ trademark and we'll make it ourselves."

he got money for selling the name. he got a cut of the returns. his royalties per-unit after alpha is unknown.

maybe it's nothing or next to nothing. maybe he's leaving now because he's already made the majority of the money he's going to make off this title, royalities or not.

dayz isn't a beatles single. the royalies aren't insane, that's why he's used our money from dayz to start a studio where more unfinshed alpha will be made and abandoned

Edited by pacific_coast

Will I never be free from the multitudes of the intellectually unwashed?

• Like 4

I have to respect the man. I cant say I share his vision In fact I think he is a victim of his own success.

DayZ is a great albeit a flawed game. A zombie apocalypse simulator with more threat from other players and not zombies. The engine is just wrong for his vision regardless of his praise for it. Other game engine could have been better and suitable.

I wish him luck and hope he leaves with the game worth his vision which is very ambitious.

Good luck with your future ventures

And for gods sake (or whoever you worship) please don't get hung up now on the "not the best game i can make" -.-

He wants a perfect game. DayZ can not be perfect. That's the flaw.

..he IS far to direct and honest for a lot of people.

I posted something like this on the last shitstorm, dont even remember what it was.... i really like deans honesty and there are people who read and think and like the insight his open way to communicate gives us as community.

BUT

Most people dont and they will rip any little quote out of context to create a story. And you cant really blame people, in times like these where everyone is flooded with information most people dont have the chance to take the time to filter these information if they are not 100% invested in the subject matter.

And this is why i said and still say that dean should reduce twittering and interviews and hire a pr person he can trust - not to turn his words into bullshit bingo pr phrases but to filter them and present them in a professional manner with the least possibility to be misinterpreted or ripped out of context.

Edited by okami
  • Like 2

he didn't have a choice. BI said "make a dayz SA, or sell us the dayZ trademark and we'll make it ourselves.

he got money for selling the name. he got a cut of the returns. his royalties per-unit after alpha is unknown.

maybe it's nothing or next to nothing. maybe he's leaving now because he's already made the majority of the mone he's going to make off this title, royalities or not.

dayz isn't a beatles single. the royalies aren't insane, that's why he's used our money from dayz to start a studio where more unfinshed alpha will be made and abandoned

Nothing you have said there detracts from my point: It's in Dean's interest for the game to keep selling.

Frankly your posts are getting tiresome, I can't be the only one who thinks so. You're more than welcome to say the same of mine, but at least I'm being rational.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

I guess some people don't know how the business world works. Just because he says he will still be involved doesn't mean he will be.

How many people on this forum consistently go and visit their previous place of employment and/or do work for them? How many people remain in contact with their previous employers?

What happened here is a 10-month termination. I've given notice at my current job 7 months ahead of time because I had no idea if it'd be leaving in 1 month (Dec '13) or if my wife was going to get assigned her position in August '14. My job already hired my replacement... how does that make me feel? Not very easy, that's for sure. My job's paying two salaries right now instead of a single one. Don't you think that it'd be more money-smart for the company to let me go once the new guy knows his shit?

They could decide to let him go as soon as they have a replacement for him. That's it. He lost his ties and any sort of allegiance from BIS the moment he stepped in his boss' office and said he was leaving. Period.

What effects Dean has on the process, the pipeline and continued development will be up in the air. Personally, even though I have no idea how he runs his pipeline, I feel there's no direction. Assets are added even though core gameplay elements are still lacking or under-developed. You would figure that assets are the easiest to add and as long as the core elements are working, should be cinch to implement. Why have rabbits (with Zombie sounds) when you can't do anything with them yet, and are at this point, a pure annoyance and taking up processing resources? I know it's a small thing, but here's a lot of these "small things" and that's a problem.

Anyways... I'm off my soap box. This move by Dean was weird and I hope BIS follows through on the vision of DayZ.

• Like 1

inevitably taking the most talented workers on DayZ with me

Wild speculation. Your post didn't need its own thread, what makes you think this trash was remotely that important?

i am feeling scammed now!  will we get better developers? is dean fleeing cuz he realized his visions cant be done with this engine?

No it isn't but I guess I had the wrong impression of Dean i.e. that DayZ SA was his "baby" and therefore I find it strange that he is already announcing his departure barely 2-3 months after the alpha release.

It is his baby, he just loves it so much he feels he wont be able to do it good justice (as metaphorically paralleling his comments), and he thinks its growth will be more realistic and therefore better under somebody else's wing.

Sixty percent sure we'll never see a finished game. I don't mind that I already paid, I got more than enough entertainment out of the game, but it's the last time I join an early access. We might not even have a beta until he leaves.

• Like 1