Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

watch any recorded time dean has played the SA.

...since I have this nice little thread called "Summary of dev Q&As from streams" http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175596-summary-of-dev-qas-from-streams/ you can be pretty sure I watched most of them (well not the eurogamer one. I just listened to it. 144p?  I mean, 1995 called, they want their resolution back...where was I?), not because I'm a Dean Hall fanboy, but I like to be informed and know what's going on and what's coming...

But while I saw that he is not used to play it a lot and is not up to date with some bugs (like "What do you mean these houses don't have loot? All houses should have loot." or "Painted firexes? I thought they were in already.") I don't think that you can sugegst from that that he did close to nothing...

The crazy side of Rocket has won over the creative side. I was fearing this day. JK ,Fuck off, Dean, we ALL know you stole the idea of Dayz from The Blair Witch Project movie from 1999.

You hack

:D

That made me actually laugh^^

Edit: Damn I forgot my usual quotes in this thread:

Because rocket owns DayZ. Oh no, wait, he doesn't. DayZ is still Bohemias property and Dean hall is a developer currently employed there.

That means that a) They could fire him b)shut down DayZ if they wanted to, withou him being able to do anything against it (unless his contract says otherwise, which I don't think it does) c)he is (yeah hard to believe) allowed to resign if he wants.

To be fair... the most important element of the story is that I am continuing to work on DayZ for the rest of the year, and more if required.

Edited by LaughingJack

Where did he say that? And by hyping up Dayz do you mean the gazillion times he told people not to buy the game now?

Ninja hyping!

Remember the sneaky way they didn't even had a marketing budget, it was just their evil way to entice us, kind of like striptease. And that "please don't buy the alpher" that was some devious reverse psychology. This is some serious CIA psy ops trickery!

• Like 3

We demand a Dean statue ingame so Dean will always be with us.

Only if we can hack it to bits with our axes! :P

It's pretty clear from reading this interview and from everything else I've seen from Dean that he is a classic example of an entrepreneur.  

Entrepreneurs are catalysts (Dean used the term "grenade") who transform an idea into a product and start a business...and do so in the face of enormous personal risk.  

The hard truth is that entrepreneurs typically hate the necessary structure that comes when the free-flowing, fast-past, and very flexible start-up business is successful and transitions into a mature business.  

Business growth and maturation increases the complexity of the business.  This complexity requires rigorous systems and processes to maintain the business' functional integrity.  Entrepreneurs typically hate structure and process rigor...that's typically why they became entrepreneurs in the first place. 

Dean is doing a good thing by recognizing what he is, embracing it, and taking action on this.  It would be of much greater harm to him, the game, and the community if he didn't.  Many a successful start-up business has been destroyed because the founding entrepreneur lacked the ability to lead the organization's transition to mature business or couldn't recognize their inability to do so.  

And why would anybody be surprised Dean would come out and talk openly about it?  Transparency has defined his game development career and has been one of the reasons he's been so successful at getting people to buy into his projects.  

• Like 11

Where did he say that? And by hyping up Dayz do you mean the gazillion times he told people not to buy the game now?

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it." (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-step-down-as-leader-of-dayz)

He may have told people not to buy the game, but in many of the pre-alpha streams and videos etc he'd say 'I'm super excited' about such and such. This can be construed as hyping up the game. 

Anyway its less about what he said to the public and more about his own excitement for the game, in those pre-alpha streams he seemed really excited about the game. Now it seems like he'd rather do something else.

You have to ask what has changed.

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 5

Ninja hyping!

Remember the sneaky way they didn't even had a marketing budget, it was just their evil way to entice us, kind of like striptease. And that "please don't buy the alpher" that was some devious reverse psychology. This is some serious CIA psy ops trickery!

This. Rocket has repeatedly told us he only even released standalone in December because we were constantly asking when it would be out, he didn't even want to release it. All these "take the money and run" people are ignoring history. Not only did he not want to release it yet, but BI own the rights to the game now and the profits, his income from the game now comes purely from royalties (which means it's in his interest that the game keep selling more copies).

Anyway its less about what he said to the public and more about his own excitement for the game, in those pre-alpha streams he seemed really excited about the game. Now it seems like he'd rather do something else.

He said outright in that article that he'd rather do something else. He feels he can do better so he wants to go home and open his own studio in New Zealand, it even says he has ideas for something like five new games. Dean is an idea man, it's his main strength. His strength was never the development and he's said as much himself on numerous occasions when he pokes fun at how much he breaks the game when trying to fix bugs.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

Game isn't even in a stable alpha condition and he's already talking about abandoning it.. smh.

It's pretty clear from reading this interview and from everything else I've seen from Dean that he is a classic example of an entrepreneur.  

Entrepreneurs are catalysts (Dean used the term "grenade") who transform an idea into a product and start a business...and do so in the face of enormous personal risk.  

The hard truth is that entrepreneurs typically hate the necessary structure that comes when the free-flowing, fast-past, and very flexible start-up business is successful and transitions into a mature business.  

Business growth and maturation increases the complexity of the business.  This complexity requires rigorous systems and processes to maintain the business' functional integrity.  Entrepreneurs typically hate structure and process rigor...that's typically why they became entrepreneurs in the first place. 

Dean is doing a good thing by recognizing what he is, embracing it, and taking action on this.  It would be of much greater harm to him, the game, and the community if he didn't.  Many a successful start-up business has been destroyed because the founding entrepreneur lacked the ability to lead the organization's transition to mature business or couldn't recognize their inability to do so.  

And why would anybody be surprised Dean would come out and talk openly about it?  Transparency has defined his game development career and has been one of the reasons he's been so successful at getting people to buy into his projects.  

I think you nailed it.

• Like 4

Wise iBane is wise.

• Like 4

Couldn't have put it better.

Oh shi... if I had known you guys would serial quote iBane too, I wouldn't have done it.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

Nice timing though, his announcement, he couldn't announce this of course, before they released the game to early access, no of course not, why would they? Transparency isn't going to help boost sales.  

GET REAL.  He must of known that he was leaving when they were charging for the standalone.  Best bring it up later though.  

As i said in a previous post, he said that he would leave the project as soon as it is in a state when other people could finish it. A year ago. This is no news

• Like 4

Game isn't even in a stable alpha condition and he's already talking about abandoning it.. smh.

Leaving it in the hands of ~30 people he trusts is hardly abandoning it, calm down.

Sergey Titov is the boss now. 

Deal with it.

• Like 1

So is everyone as up in arms in here at this REALLY old news as they are on Reddit?

I thought Dean's intentions for the future were common knowledge, he's expressed these same intentions for quite some time now in various places.

Rofl some of your guys's responses to this are amusing. 

Sad to see Dean go.

We demand a Dean statue ingame so Dean will always be with us.

he has a statue being done

rocket_unfinished_statue.png

only half finished though :lol:

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 2

What personal risks has dean taken? Did he invest his own Capitol into the game?

Other than time, what risks has he taken. Seems BI is the one who took a risk on Dayz.

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it." (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-24-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-step-down-as-leader-of-dayz)

Ok you`re right sorry, i read the news on german websites which did not quote this. Would be very interested in the context of this quote, i know rocket has a tendency to talk without any "business phrases" and he is very honest but i guess this quote is a bit misleading without context. But i have to agree this is nothing i want to read from a project lead in the early phase of an alpha i spent money for...

Yeah sure, I'm not surprised at all about the timing as to when he does it, after the game goes on sale.

AFTER the game goes on sale lets' announce the game as a "flawed concept" and then furthermore announce that you're leaving.  Do it after though.  For the sake of transparency.  I'm sure he'll use our early access money to wipe the tears of remorse from his eyes no doubt.

I'd give him kudos for transparency if he announced this before the game came out.  

"I feel like DayZ is a fundamentally flawed concept," he went on, "and I've always recognised that. It's not the perfect game; it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."    

Transparency? GET REAL SON.  SAY THIS BEFORE YOU RELEASE THE GAME????

A lot of people including myself were sold on Deans creative vision for the game.  Now he's removed himself from the game...

But we get it, he's an entrepreneur a real business man. 

• Like 1

To be honest,the most professional thing to do in this case,is to step down and give his title as a Lead Dev to someone who actually cares,and wants to see the game materialized.If you don't intent to finish something from top to bottom,and lack the courage and passion to do so,then you should not do it in the first place.We all got our hopes up and believed in his "vision".Bottomline is,i hope we get a new Lead as soon as possible that actually gives a damn about the community's wishes.Even if game's not according to his vision,it can go according to the community's vision as long as we have a suitable candidate for his position that shares his love for the game.

LOL

Game will barely be out of Beta by the end of the year I bet. What are the chances when Rocket leaves, pve and other arcade gamey stuff will be put in because someone else is in the lead?

This is exactly like Minecraft.

LOL

Game will barely be out of Beta by the end of the year I bet. What are the chances when Rocket leaves, pve and other arcade gamey stuff will be put in because someone else is in the lead?

This is exactly like Minecraft.

Aren't Bohemia full steaming with ARMA III at this point?  I highly doubt DayZ (something that isn't their baby) is going to be featuring on the priority list, it was a decent cash bump.

But then again guys DayZ is ultimately a flawed concept.  Why the fuk would Bohemia put work into something its Lead Dev describes publically as a fukin flawed concept.  

To say that something isn't perfect or an exhaustive expression of all your hopes, dreams, ideas, and intentions doesn't mean it's a failure.  It means there are other ideas that need to be developed.  It means the quest for perfection is never at an end.  It means all things, no matter how good they are, can still be improved.  

Because the concept is flawed or doesn't encompass everything Dean would like to do in his career, doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't worth doing.   

Feel free to somehow feel cheated if you want, but I certainly don't.  I've gotten my $$$ out of DayZ SA already and it's only in Alpha.  Compared to the Alpha conditions of other games like RUST, The Dead Linger, or (dare I say) The War Z,  DayZ SA's alpha build is miles ahead of the typical alpha.  

It's preposterous, in my opinion, to suggest this game - if you've played other alphas for any length of time - was just a money-grab scam.  

Edited by iBane
  • Like 5

IMHO Rocket is deff. doing the wrong thing. Not the wrong thing for leaving but the time frame it's taking him to leave. It's not like he's a big superstar already and everything he touches turns to gold. He's brand spanking new. He should stay till his first big project is done and perfected to his likings. Like he has mentioned before on his tweets, anyone can have a great idea but it's about execution  Will the game still be as good as if Dean stayed till the end, absolutely, but again the point here is about Dean. In my opinion he's quitting early to create himself a safety net in case shit goes sour. He's told us about his career goals and how he wants to open his own studio, that's all swell but your suppose to be caring about your supposedly baby game dude, you know that one called DAYZ, leaving this early is a sign that you really don't care about the project and more about yourself. So at the end of the day I'm glad you decided to step away from something your really not that into, and hopefully you left enough of a mark so that the next person would want to fill your shoes and more.

Edited by punkvegita