dgeesio

are people trying to make the SA to friendly?

Are people getting scared now there could be things ending up in the game that might actively ENCOURAGE groupplay, or what is the problem?

In the end, different people, different playstyles. Sanity should be banned on the forum as word? No, words like "carebear" should be, if you ask me.

In the end there'll be some middle ground. And if custom servers with their own hives will be allowed, just pick a server that supports your style of playing the game.

Done. Fact is, if you look at the features (to come) you'll see stuff that is not so much for loners, but also groups.

But please stop arguing with weak arguments. Obviously, no one wants this game to be either "deathmatch central" (everywhere) nor does it have to be "L4D coop PVE" (everywhere). Since there's so far no "rules" on how to play the game, all you can do is tell the others how wrong they are / how right you are. And that is rather useless, eh?

• Like 2

dgeesio, what happened to posting "there is nothing you can do to stop KoS" in every topic on the subject? Had a sudden change of heart? :rolleyes:

Yup, worrying about the potential actions of other players pretty much is the game.

It's a tricky thing to balance if you think about it. On the one hand - if you introduce PvE servers, then there is no worrying. Everyone is friendly and singing songs around the camp fire. But on the other hand, when everyone just kills on sight you don't worry about what other players might do because you already know that they're going to shoot you and you have to shoot them first.

I think what the devs are aiming for is a balance where some people are friendly and some people are bandits as that is what makes for the best gameplay.

I mean, I'm a fairly new player to DayZ.  Didn't play the mod, just did research on it and decided to wait for the standalone.  I was even a week late getting the standalone.

But I've learned how to survive, and identify those who will most likely kill you on sight.  I've actually had more peaceful encounters (although very tense at first) than I have ran into murderers.

But I also stay away from Balota/Cherno/Elektro.  It's a known murder pit.  The last time a buddy and I were looting through Cherno, I ended up shot (and the bandit ate .357, really glad I saved that pistol for my friend).

I think the balance is already here.  The good guys (like me) are out there.  And the bandits are also :)  Become a better survivor and none of this is a problem to figure out.

• Like 1

In all honesty, if I want to shoot people there are a ton of FPS out there that do it good, we don't need another one.

I was really looking forward to a survival sim, not another bloodbath FPS game.

It can and i think it will be that. I'd recommend trying the Origins mod if you haven't, or a few others in the meantime if thats all you want. Thing thing is that people have gotten bored with the survival aspect and it doesn't help that it is fairly minimal to begin with in mods. Hopefully it will be more interesting in SA, but i have my doubt about it lasting very long unless they continuously update features to foster exploration, etc.

I'm not gonna bring up the ''other games name'' but for some reason I find 10x more people that wanna help you out than just shoot you for fun on it but that's because the zombies are crazy hard and you have to try to live or you lose 100% of your stuff and it's not so easy to get back.

I believe if dayz made the zombies 2x harder and made 100000000 of them walking around I think they'd find that middle ground for people to play pve and for those that love to kill players for nothing.

Who's gonna waste there last 10 bullets on a player if they have 500 zombies they might have to fight off for a can of beans.

I love the way Standalone is based but I do wish players didn't wanna die so easy because it's like oh well if I die I'll be back in 5 mins shooting again ..but we'll see how this all plays out in another year or so .

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 2

In all honesty, if I want to shoot people there are a ton of FPS out there that do it good, we don't need another one.

I was really looking forward to a survival sim, not another bloodbath FPS game.

That's just the thing.  Worrying about bandits and murderers *is* survival.

Besides, they always congregate in one area.  The only time I've been shot at without questions outside of the south coast was in NWAF.  And those two guys paid heavily for that mistake.

But the dozen or so other encounters were intense, awesome, and peaceful in the end.

I mean, I'm a fairly new player to DayZ.  Didn't play the mod, just did research on it and decided to wait for the standalone.  I was even a week late getting the standalone.

But I've learned how to survive, and identify those who will most likely kill you on sight.  I've actually had more peaceful encounters (although very tense at first) than I have ran into murderers.

But I also stay away from Balota/Cherno/Elektro.  It's a known murder pit.  The last time a buddy and I were looting through Cherno, I ended up shot (and the bandit ate .357, really glad I saved that pistol for my friend).

I think the balance is already here.  The good guys (like me) are out there.  And the bandits are also :)  Become a better survivor and none of this is a problem to figure out.

Well it's definitely better than it was towards the end of the mod where everyone killed on sight, but I still don't really feel that the right balance is there. Right now I'd say we're at somewhere between an 10-20% to 80-90% split where 80-90% are KoS players. I think there are two main contributing factors for this though...

1) There isn't much to do in DayZ right now. Once more items etc. are added and it takes longer to gear up (or progress your character) people will be less bored, and less likely to resort to Coast of Duty.

2) Right now there are a lot of new players and probably a lot that don't really know what DayZ is. They just jumped on the hype train when they saw a game with zombies and guns. I don't think that these players will last long and feel that they are responsible for a considerable amount of coast wars/KoS type gameplay.

Hopefully we'll end up closer to a 50:50 split and people will actually start using the rest of the map as time goes on.

• Like 5

Ryu's thing about more, tougher zombies

I do believe that's all part of the development plan

Edited by WierdBeard

dgeesio, what happened to posting "there is nothing you can do to stop KoS" in every topic on the subject? Had a sudden change of heart? :rolleyes:

Yup, worrying about the potential actions of other players pretty much is the game.

It's a tricky thing to balance if you think about it. On the one hand - if you introduce PvE servers, then there is no worrying. Everyone is friendly and singing songs around the camp fire. But on the other hand, when everyone just kills on sight you don't worry about what other players might do because you already know that they're going to shoot you and you have to shoot them first.

I think what the devs are aiming for is a balance where some people are friendly and some people are bandits as that is what makes for the best gameplay.

no i will still kos every living thing possible and i am doing well but... some of the changes being implemented do have a whiff of being done to help new players and none vets and others who dont want to kill and me personally don't want to see change slip in with small patches to make the game my little pony with zombies in it.

• Like 1

no i will still kos every living thing possible and i am doing well but... some of the changes being implemented do have a whiff of being done to help new players and none vets and others who dont want to kill and me personally don't want to see change slip in with small patches to make the game my little pony with zombies in it.

It's nothing do to with helping new players. As I said in my post above - they're trying to create a more balanced game with more to it than just Coast of Duty.

Don't worry, they won't turf you out of Elektro or anything.

• Like 1

Most of it is because there's not much else to do right now. If the environment was a real threat, people might be less inclined to kill. Remember that people kill on sight because people kill on sight because people kill on sight. It's a cycle that starts with those that play only for PVP, thus making paranoid players treat everybody as a threat. Those that don't want conflict simply hide away, because most of the rest are busy blasting each other to smithereens for the thrill or for fear of death.

If/When the world becomes as threatening as players, then the difficulty of survival may cause people to be more inclined to band together or at least communicate and trade. At the very least, it may cause bandits to get creative to avoid destroying precious supplies. I look forward to seeing people captured, robbed, and left for dead. It's far more interesting than shooting.

Edited by CommodoreFrank
  • Like 1

"Coast of Duty". Brilliant.

If worst comes to worst, let the coast be a killzone for some people then. You can't might it right for all anyway, and one should not listen to all as it's impossible. (No, I'm not saying "Devs, ignore people who say this and that!")

We'll see what the devs have in mind and what the community would like to see. In the end it's some sort of compromise anyway, as far as I can imagine.

Fact is: Some of the content that will come - some of it known, some other things less so far - will support more group play and cooperation, on whatever level. Other content might encourage more "offensive" or loner ways. Some other content aims to satisfy both.

Edited by Combine

Maybe the answer is PvP and PvE servers?

Absolutely not.

I don't think they are trying to make it nicer, just more survival oriented and in their vision of what the most likely scenario would be. In a situation like this it would be very hard for people to survive by themselves, teamwork would be a must. At this moment as well as the mod you can lone wolf it so easily. Also once zombies actually become a threat (more, harder hitting, greater infection rate) it will shift peoples focus on surviving than just building kill count. Also make food and drink much harder to come by and manage. You won't be killing a bambi just to have 20 zombies running at you that can actually deal damage. Of course PvP will be in the game as it should be, but it will hopefully be lessened to make for a more dynamic experience. The reason I'm tired of the KOS fad is that it makes the game one dimensional. There will always be some people out there who will do it and that's fine since it adds some spice. But the reason of KOS right now is to kill just to kill. and that is just boring and not realistic. Very rarely does the KOSer directly benefit from the kill (ie gear, or eliminate threat).

I would like to see supply spawning greatly reduced to make everything more valuable.  I think someone mentioned that once loot spawning is fixed they'll tone it down, which I hope so. If you make gear rare and the damage actually matter (stuff not working or getting sick from damaged food and meds) that will reduce KOS for gear at least and increase the interaction of robbery. I would also like to see some balanced way of wanting to keep your character alive aside from just collecting gear. Possibly even not being able to spawn for 15-30 min after you die, also you can't loot your own body.  If the game is made to be very hard, which is what they are aiming at I believe, this should create a more dynamic experience and not the 1 dimensional KOS fad we see now.  

• Like 1

typical KoSer attitude..

what ? they might add content for a playstyle that isnt KoS ? oh oh better poo poo that idea...

news flash there is room for ALL playstyles. not everything about DayZ needs to be focused on how to get your kill count higher/faster.

• Like 7

As a bandit (most of the time anyway) it's my own rule that if I have a bunch of guns, I don't go to the coast for a couple of reasons.

1. - You'll likely lose all of your stuff because you WILL slip up, eventually.

2. - You have nothing to gain from newspawns. Literally, nothing.

3. - Let the noobies duke it out amongst themselves without them being completely overpowered and helpless. Be a man and hunt people more on par with the type of gear you have up north.

I usually don't KoS on the coast unless they have a gun. I'm personally finding more and more people with melee weapons that will quickly band together and single-out targets shooting guns and bring them down using stealth and numbers. I've both had it happen to me and helped others bring them down. I once was shooting at a guy in a starter town and suddenly had 4 people coming at me from all directions doing whatever they could to kill me. it worked. I've also helped someone being held up with another person and killed both armed people by using stealth and surprising them. it works. 

The coast isn't really worth it if you want to survive for long while having anything of value on you.

My point is, I am starting to see temporary alliances being formed among players, if even only for a couple of minutes to eliminate a larger threat. I've been friendly to a few folks in the game, and they've all said nearly the same thing every time "it's crazy to actually meet a nice player in DayZ". (well I can be nice, but not most of the time lol)

So i don't think they are making it friendly, it's just that, in my experience, people are starting to realize that banding together helps you survive longer. I'm alright with that.

• Like 2

Well, if there aim is to make it friendlier, i think the attempt will fail badly. Making weapons rarer, will only hinder the survival, of the people who struggle to survive now. Im not seeing a KoS problem, ive been shot once at nwa. It is far easier to equip and survive than the earlier versions o the mod (1.5s early 1.6s etc) Making weapons rarer, wont stop someone who knows what they are doing getting a weapon, it will stop this group that seem to have the survival skills o a lemming ever having a chance to defend themselves. Its the same as this insane theory that making loot rarer in general will make it friendlier... i mean say what! Of course its going to increase competition for the resources, not decrease it.

I wouldnt worry about rocket pandering to the care bears, when he commented here regularly, he was normally one o the first to be ripping on em in their threads ;)

I know the game will change with development, one of the points normally made and its a good one. What I also see when 'PvE' is motioned is;

-  Kosers getting defensive, as if they are gonna lose something , like easier kills sniped from a hill 700m away where they have spent all day mapping out landmark distances so they can look like pro shot on they videos.

- I see fear from the Kosers, as if their style of play will be removed or destroyed.

- and their confusion as to why anyone else would play the game a different way.

I don't care my self about having an PvE or/and Pvp server option, but it gets me how against the idea KOSers are. Try to see both side of the coin, and I don't think anyone is saying you would be forced to play an PvE server, just like your not forced to play 3PP:off

• Like 3

I know the game will change with development, one of the points normally made and its a good one. What I also see when 'PvE' is motioned is;

-  Kosers getting defensive, as if they are gonna lose something , like easier kills sniped from a hill 700m away where they have spent all day mapping out landmark distances so they can look like pro shot on they videos.

- I see fear from the Kosers, as if their style of play will be removed or destroyed.

- and their confusion as to why anyone else would play the game a different way.

I don't care my self about having an PvE or/and Pvp server option, but it gets me how against the idea KOSers are. Try to see both side of the coin, and I don't think anyone is saying you would be forced to play an PvE server, just like your not forced to play 3PP:off

It's not just about KoSing people. You should really take your own advice on "Try to see both side of the coin". It is about the freedom we have in the game to do whatever the hell we want.

Changing the entire game which is what is suggested most of the time will result in those "KoSers" and players who just want to play a decent "non-carebear" game being forced into dealing with certain unrealistic/annoying PvE restricting elements that hinder/punish PvP. Nobody is against having PvE servers as long as it is not using the public hive.

If separate hives are implemented for PvE and Free servers, then nobody will care. I'm pretty sure some PvE servers will begin popping up when private server hives are available, so it is pretty much covered already.

Edited by MystoganXIX
  • Like 3

It's the same the other way around as well. Walking Dead "friendlies in Cherno?" roleplayers protesting every time someone proposes to add a battle rifle or anything that isn't a gun made before 1860 is pissing in our cereal, too. Stupid propositions like safezones and even planetary rotation for making sniping harder, whilst bullet travel time and accuracy already are quite inaccurate and unrealistic already. Plus, a lot of people are saying there need to be more incentives to group up, but guess who've already got a group? Most bandits. Friendlies should simply put more effort in getting organized BEFORE they rush into the game. Like getting a clan or at least organize a group with TS using the forums or something.

We should meet somewhere in the middle, but no one is giving in even a cm.

Edited by Ratiasu
  • Like 2

I don't really think there will ever be a change to affect the way it already is now. The choice is yours on how you want to act in the game. I really don't think they should change anything about it. The game isn't targeted for a carebear audience at all.

In the mod, I played as a combat medic and helped as many people as I could. Just because I wanted to be a good guy and help others, didn't mean I got an award or a special privilege or any protection. I was still susceptible to all the things that everyone else was. KoS, backstabbed, etc. I chose to play that way. Some people honored that and didn't backstab me or kill me and actually had my back when things got rough. That's the best you can hope for when choosing that role. However, others will still kill you, steal everything you have, etc.

What i'm saying here is: play the way you want to play and don't let the BS bother you. That BS isn't going to go away, but there are good chances that you can improve the situation with the people you play with. It doesn't always work, but if you're patient it will.

Last night I, no shit, met up with 8 other random guys and we all went north together. Not a single one of us knew each other, but we all managed to help one another. Well, except for 1 of the guys tried to backstab the only guy with a gun at the time. We all beat him to death for it and gave the original owner his stuff back.

People need to get over the fact that they were killed a million times and simply do this:

Learn to survive, or continuously end up on the coast.

The answers aren't going to be programmed into the game for you. The beauty is making it up as you go, while dealing with the contstant tyranny.

i will defend the right to play as a murderous sociopath to my last breath. But the obscene amount of loot - especially weaponry and ammo - makes this game too easy.

too many people see "gearing up" like quick-shopping loadouts in counterstrike. scavenging for equipment is meant to be a struggle, a fight, its meant to be harsh, unforgiving, frustrating. as Dean said: "When I originally scoped the mod out, I wanted it to be very brutal, and I wanted the finding of your first weapon to be a real event for the player." If you want fast-paced FPS action, this game isnt for you.

equipping your character with the best gear needs to take days, maybe weeks, over many, many playing sessions, all the time with the looming danger of dying to infected, other players, hunger, thirst, disease or accident.

• Like 5

e47, on 07 Jan 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

too many people see "gearing up" like quick-shopping loadouts in counterstrike. scavenging for equipment is meant to be a struggle, a fight, its meant to be harsh, unforgiving, frustrating. as Dean said: "When I originally scoped the mod out, I wanted it to be very brutal, and I wanted the finding of your first weapon to be a real event for the player." If you want fast-paced FPS action, this game isnt for you.

equipping your character with the best gear needs to take days, maybe weeks, over many, many playing sessions, all the time with the looming danger of dying to infected, other players, hunger, thirst, disease or accident.

on this part we can agree..

finding guns and gear to PVP with is entirely to easy once u learn the map/spawns.

thre really is no sence of struggle or alone in the Zombie apoc. feel to SA atm. you see/run into people far to often and usualy everyone has all the stuff they would want/need. basicly just running around at that point looking for targets of opportunity.

Edited by Siberian

Especialy food should be harder to find. Make people fight over FOOD and clean water. Oh and of course over fresh pristine socks.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

I say to each his own. There should be more zombies since it's a zombie apocalypse, but we're in early stage of alpha, so they need to get this stable before taxing more resources. But honestly, there's a need for everything to make this game great. We need bandits for the fear of getting shot when looting popular spots. We need heros to help out new survivors and show them the basic while maintaining the "hope" in this ZA (zombie apocalypse). We need to respect other playstyles. It shouldn't be PVP only and KoS everywhere, and it shouldn't be friendlies running around hand in hand. But we need some of both to make our experience "complete".

In the end, forcing a certain type of play, make it Walking Dead roleplay or kill everything that moves on sight as soon as you get a gun, is the wrong way. Respecting other playstyles even if we don't agree or like it is the right way.

The only thing we don't need is hackers, and we're already plagued with them... :(

To each his own.

• Like 3

Especialy food should be harder to find. Make people fight over FOOD and clean water. Oh and of course over fresh pristine socks.

I wish we'd have to eat/drink 3 times less than we do now, but have food and water actually be 5 times more rare.