Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

My main problem with the whole thing isn't the price- it's the speed of development. BIS have huge funds from great sales of Arma2:CO, Arma 3, and DayZ standalone. But DayZ seems to advance at a snail's pace.

I would happily pay $50 to $80 if the game had more content. Also, I would be happy to wait until 2015 if they were modding the ARMA3 engine to suit DayZ. But as it stands the so called "rebuilding the engine from the ground up" so far just feels like nicer textures, light shafts, and more object models. Otherwise I would say the experience is even clunkier than the original mod! *SIgh*

Indeed. I would probably pick it up now, check it out, and then you'll already have it a few months down the road when things really get going.

Yarp.

One of the reasons I bought it now. Also, I'm massively impatient.

Id say wait afew months or a month atleast, If I beat it, and got almost every loot there is in the game in a matter of 5-8 hours... its not worth it yet... maybe ina few weeks it will be? But as of now... no.

^ LOL.  This is just flat ass dumb right here.

My opinion

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

Overall, I would not recommend it. But I think in a few weeks, it might go from "possible" to "yes" on the last one.

This guy obviously has no idea how many crappy (live/prod) games we've all been subjected to over the past few years.  :)

This game, IMHO, is completely playable for an Alpha.  Hell, I've already logged 70+ hours over the past few weeks.

I can't wait to see how the crafting systems are implemented.  I hope they go balls to the wall with crafting - an "updated" SWG type system with random schematics would be nothing short of tittay! ( . )( . )

Keep up the fantastic work Devs!

Honestly, I think the DayZ standalone in its current state should only be bought if you cannot (or dont want to) get the mod running on your computer correctly.  I actually had a hell of a time trying to get the mod to work on mine because some of the files were fucked. But I bought the standalone and have probably put about 120 hours into it so far.  Its really lacking in a lot of places when it comes to bugs and the different amount of loot that is in the game, but it is a hell of a lot of fun once you get past it all.  Hopefully I was a little helpful in your decision, but ultimately you'll just have to see what is right for you.

Edited by Mos1ey
No spamming unrelated links to your YouTube channel...

Don't buy it yet, you will get gear, if your not taken out in a fire fight or bummed by bandits you will only get a random respawn until that's FIXED ill be back - peace

For me it doesn't feel right to pay for an idea of a game. There are alot of games that already have more effort into them and most of the people doesn't want to pay 20$/€ for them. I mean the idea is good and seems fun to think about playing your ideal survival/horror/mmo but seeing the game being played just ruins it... SO RAW 

dunno, seems way too casual for me even with all the looting and stuff. Firefights are way too easy even 1v5 and you can pretty much avoid everything with corner peeking. Maybe in the future.

Fix the fucking server lists for god sake! 

more than half the time they dont even populate, it is so fucking annoying! 

Me and 4 friends from school played DayZ for several hours every day of the whole weekend and we love it. Even though we sometimes experienced those bugs who might kill you, we managed to stick to the rule "don't get attached to your gear". And whenever someone died, for whatever reason, we all helped eachother out to make it safe again. There is not that much to do in the game at it's current game, but we manage to make it fun together. So I guess if you have friends to play with, it'll be fun. If you're alone, maybe not. But you could probably make friends in-game or on the forum to play with if you don't. And I haven't misunderstood there's an update coming out tomorrow, so there'll be new fun stuff to do and probably less bugs fucking the game up. Me and one of my friends both agreed that it's fun to watch the game evolve and that's probably why we bought early access. :)

i enjoy the game as it is now i have lots of fun but its completly up to you if you want to buy it now as its cheaper with less stuff (will be updated) or later when its more expensive with more stuff added (dont forget there will always be bugs)

Honestly, to see your reply to this, Rocket, like you did, I hope you and your team not only go on to make DayZ a great game that people will play for years to come, but that you guys will go on even further and make others. Just keep at it, you have my support all the way.

Um... the lead dev in the program is basically saying "don't get this game." This doesn't really sing well with those of us who already have, are doing OK with it, and are appreciating it for what it is. Maybe try having a little more faith in your program, if for nothing more than the people who have already spent money on it.

You should have more faith in your personal feelings about the game and not be swayed by what anyone, including a dev, has to say about it. You're telling me that rocket saying "don't get it" to the other guy somehow affects the feelings you have about your purchase?

• Like 1

It is worth buying now, if either:

A: you really wish to help BI in developing what could be an awesome, ground-breaking game

or

B: you are a FPS who loves easy gameplay, and just wants a slightly different scene to the ones you have been used to.

Edited by conan the librarian

Yes of course it's worth buying the game!!! Seeing the updates come on such as the last patch (and I know it's a bit sticky sometimes) gives you stuff to look forward to. You really get to know a game if you watch it grow and grow with it! 

I've just found the new shotgun! It's great....see my link below!

The answer is yes.

I am a fairly new player and I find that DayZ SA is just as fun as DayZ Mod....even with the lack of content and bugs. The latest patch added a lot of fun to the game even with simple item updates and loot changes...so I cannot wait to see what the future has in store, it can only get better and its already great!

• Like 1

I would wait for release.

I don't get responses like these... The game will be twice the price once it's finished. What you should be basing your decision on is whether or not you liked the mod as the mod is as close a representation as you'll get to what Rocket is aiming for with the Stand Alone.

Buy now, pay half, get the finished product at no extra charge when it's released.  Even if you buy it now and don't play it until it reaches Beta in a year or so then you're still saving money.

It's a no brainer.

Edited by =FOX= Damocles

I don't get responses like these... The game will be twice the price once it's finished. What you should be basing your decision on is whether or not you liked the mod as the mod is as close a representation as you'll get to what Rocket is aiming for with the Stand Alone.

Buy now, pay half, get the finished product at no extra charge when it's released.  Even if you buy it now and don't play it until it reaches Beta in a year or so then you're still saving money.

It's a no brainer.

Bet steam will have 50% on dayz after 1 or 2 years if you are not scratching urself to play it don't buy it. Only if you like to finance ideas... When the game is finished i may think it is not interesting and just don't buy. No brain is to pay for a promisse if u believe so much on that game success buy some shares of that company you may end up rich. What i mean is you never know the future...so paying because now is half the price is dumb and is dumber when the game is selling on steam.

Well the potential to be great is far better than for it to fail miserably. $30 is not a lot of money; I could have done worse. Not dining out once a week saves me $30 already. The amount of entertainment I can get from this for $30 is far better than say a movie and some other games. But anyways, if you're willing to pay $30 now then you shouldn't be upset at all that later the game is cheaper in  1 or 2 years. Do I think it's worth it now? Probably not until there is more content and a lot more zombies and threats in a few months than another person with a gun pointed at me on the road by the shore. I am eager to see how much content there is by summer time. 

Edited by zeddo

My opinion

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

Overall, I would not recommend it. But I think in a few weeks, it might go from "possible" to "yes" on the last one.

For the simple fact that the creator is honest and willing open to not lie or hide the truth unlike many devs out there I would buy it only proves that the dev and his team are indeed more intrested in the community and the development of the game and the fun factor and experience vs the MONEY and in my opinion that alone deserves my money vs companies like infinity ward and such. You get what you put in here in dayz and its honest not all covered with cherries and cream. 

:thumbsup:  rocket, for being honest to the community and for making the game and experience such a great one for gamers across the world now days its so rare to find devs that are on the same lvl.. :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :D

• Like 1

Nobody can tell you if its worth it tbh, its personal preference. There is not a lot in the game at the moment, so you would really need a group of friends to get the most out of the game.

I would personally say, yeah definitely go for it! I've loved every minute, and I've put in over 30 hours already haha.

Go for it man, if you don't mind a few bugs etc, and want to be part of an ever evolving community, nothing is stopping you!

does that mean, that in a few weeks the price will be lower?

- kinda unfair for these ppl who are "paying" to test..

- a lower price would just increase more ppl especially ppl who may play very agressive...

the price have to be high alltime, this would prevent also ppl to cheat, because if the price is high, the risk would be also.

You think it should cost LESS in its development state?

Two words: Early Access

You buy the early access because you WANT to help, and NO, Bohemia Interactive should not make the game cheaper/pay YOU, just because YOU think helping should be rewarded.

If you're disappointed, I would recommend you to wait until Beta / Release, at this point people might feel that they get something for the money.

Hardcore DayZ fans should be happy that they have the possibility to 'peek into the future' of what's coming next. Most DayZ Mod Alpha players (including me), 'pre-accepted' the fact that whenever SA Alpha would be made public, it'd be atleast as full of bugs and lack of features just like the DayZ Mod alphatest was. You're not meant to play this all night and be over-enjoyed over it, but it's nice if you can pull that much fun out of the alpha in its current state.

That being said, I hope you don't find regret in purchasing the early access, and that you are aware of your true purpose of playing it.