Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

IMHO it is absolutely NOT worth spending £20 on this game at this stage. let's face it - UI is crap, zombies go through buildings, lots of other issues. I think charging people £20 at this stage is robbery.

On the other hand you can take part in shaping the game ;)

so decision is yours ;)

If You are a die hard fan like I am, than Yes it is worth it. Even if it is in alpha stage.

If You are a weekend warrior of the game, than no.

Plus You will save money in the long run.

You should buy it now, since there is very little content that you can work with, you learn the new features of the game as they come out. That means there wont be a huge learning curve, as there would be if you bought it in the final release where you'll have to learn a lot of things very quickly in order to survive. Also, now it's hella cheap and will also get more expensive as it's developed, it's kind of like investment, though you can't sell it afterwards.

Edited by MANofAWE

My 2 cents:

Even in its initial state, the game is INCREDIBLY engrossing and addictive.

It has a similar atmosphere to the Stalker games, but with infinitely more depth in so many respects. I LOVE Stalker but I don't think I can go back to a canned experience it after DayZ.

Right now, the bugs kill the fun for me.

After the 5th time I fell from a ladder after pressing F, I learned to not spend a million hours "preparing" and looting up before heading for encounters with people (not necessarily to kill; I tend to help out).

This means spawning in a beach and heading west towards Balota, looking for Mosin/handguns along the way and not spending too much time exploring.

After a while it gets mechanical and tedious, and the fun wears off.

I know it's only an alpha; no need to address this.

I absolutely love the possibilities and can't wait to see the game realize its potential, but I have the feeling it will take MAJOR work/time.

Again, only personal opinion here, but it seems like it would take a big team and major work on things like:

- zombie AI (clipping, etc)

- movement mechanics/physics bug fixing (not sure if the ladder thing also happens in ArmA; never played it) and tuning (character feels heavy and cumbersome)

- vehicles

- weapon feel/mechanics in general, but specially melee - predictable hit spots so you can target the head, etc

- lag countermeasures (like in Left 4 Dead; not having to anticipate/lead target position)

- in game UI

- and so on.

In other words, I'm kind of anxious because it feels like these things will take forever. Hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Summing up, I'm stoked at the possibilities and anxiously await new developments :)

Keeping an eye out on the bug tracker and changelogs.

Pretty good for Alpha, I would recommend it, but dont mind all the bugs and unstableness! 

I'd buY it twelve more times if i could just to support this team. I love it so far. I played it more then any game I have installed, even BF4. If you like killing bandits then you will want to buy it now because there is a lot of them.

RR

Edited by RRambo

My friend (he play DayZ mode in Arma II) tell me about this. I never play Amra II or DayZ in Arma II.

I described what Dayz is as a very real game of survival and began to describe the very I told him that I have to try because of the enchci just heard. but I want to play

so we bought the game on Steam Dayz both and went without any problem in the game after 3 hours of play, we both said: this is a alpha version? really? That graphics? So much stuff here so much working stuff here for alpha i can believe it. 

For me is 100% worth to buy this.

SORRY DOUBLE POST .. please delete

Edited by Bazim

Worth every euro i payed for it, it's Alpha, it has it's ups and downs, especialy downs, but i already have around 70+ hours of fun and i got killed around 15 times, still enjoying the heck out of it, currently making a trip from Balota to Berenzino, encountered many beautiful places and saw a lot of strange things on my way, try to find another game that has an atmosphere like DayZ.

Zombies charging through walls, player walking through walls above the first floor fully geared and dieing, resurrecting with all your gear, falling 4 feet off stairs onto flat cement equals death, and many more bugs.

Would of payed more than $30. Already spent more than 30 hours playing, less than $1 an hour. This alpha is better than some fully released games that have come out recently. (COUGH ROME 2).  

Almost 50 hours later, still enjoying it. Still utterly worth it. Still would pay more.

It is unplayable, all you can do is take a look at the new fancy hurdle. I swear to god, thats literally it.

No vehicles, loot is ONLY on server restart, no bases, most content not working or missing, crafting not in, entire systems not in and no hope for them ever to make it in. Seriously, if you buy this game right now, you have wasted money, its one of the worst games ever. It has 2 or 3 years before its even HALF of the mod, wow. #realtalk

It is unplayable, all you can do is take a look at the new fancy hurdle. I swear to god, thats literally it.

No vehicles, loot is ONLY on server restart, no bases, most content not working or missing, crafting not in, entire systems not in and no hope for them ever to make it in. Seriously, if you buy this game right now, you have wasted money, its one of the worst games ever. It has 2 or 3 years before its even HALF of the mod, wow. #realtalk

Hide your hashtags, the only persons who allowed to use them it is musicians.

Well you just do not have any brainz, you can find a lot of things to do in Alpha, you can test how medicine works or test weapons, simply help newbs or be a rambo and pew all the zombies in everytown(be a cleaner), if you have no imagination and wise-ry you will fail not in every game but in real life too.

Imagine buying a used Honda Civic for a low price but in 12-18 months it will develop to have the style, handling and options of a new BMW. Yes its that simple.

I know you really want the '02 Mitsu Eclipse with aftermarket body kit and engine that needs work from your 'friend' who has been pushing you to buy off him. If that's your cup of tea then go play a generic death match FPS and leave DayZ to the adults ;)

For me personally its pretty stable and playable at the moment. But not much to do since lot of content is missing. Maybe that is the reason people KoS this much. 

For me personally its pretty stable and playable at the moment. But not much to do since lot of content is missing. Maybe that is the reason people KoS this much.

i kos only when i can not awoid or i am not shure thats he will not shoot me in my back

Buy it now. It's cheaper than it's going to be. Confirmed by Rocket.

What is the pricing model?

The game will get more expensive as it moves through its development, starting out fairly cheap and rising in price as its matures and more features get added. When you buy it once, you will have access to the whole DayZ Game. No decision or information exists about DLC or anything like that, but we can confirm that DayZ will not feature in-game purchases.

I Think it is worth buying it right now because i think the price will go up as it upgfrades, and it is also a really good game as it is and it will be fun/cool watching it develop

Its fun but as of now its very very stale till we see more stuff like we seriously need some heli crashes or some randomized loot places there isnt much to do yet except get agun and roam the coast north is barren as hell and from all the hype there was suppose to be alot more up north to do in standslone at least add some crashes or some reason to get off the coast.

Buy it now. It's cheaper than it's going to be. Confirmed by Rocket.

It was also quated to be cheaper for those who bought the arma for the mod as well of supposedly been out like 2 years ago if they keep going on this dev cycle we wont see the full game till like 2019 they need to start rolling that ball faster lol.We aint gettin any younger!

• Like 1

I have to say first and foremost..... I have a great respect for Dean and the rest of the Dev team. Look at Dayz in it's entirety and then decide if it is the game for you..... even in it's current state. I played through the Mod version quite a bit and I have to say that the alpha is coming along quite well! Yes, there are bugs and yes there will be. I bought the game because I wanted to support the Devs and I want to see the game grow into what will be something great!

You know..... This Genre did not even exist and now there are tons of games doing things either like it or close to it. I'm honestly astounded that this has morphed into it's own game. Cheers!

I love how Rocket says not to buy it just yet. For that reason alone people should be in line saying "shut up and take my money" LMAO. the "father" of the game says not to buy it. Funny stuff.

As a vet of the Mod and having experienced most of what it has to offer coming to the standalone is sort of fresh. My friends and I took a break for a while and came back to a DayZ that has lots of potential.

Is it worth buying now? Sure, if you arent easily frustrated and undertstand this is in its infant/alpa stages, $30 bucks isnt bad. I will break this down with some of my personal observations to make it easier for you to make a decision.

Pros:

Much faster server login times/spawns than the mod had.

Newer items such as Hats, gloves, axes, hemlets etc.

Customization of your Character

various attachments for your guns to make them look cool

food varities

new areas/towns

Cons (some are soon to be added as per the update posts):

Less zombies

No aminals to hunt yet

no drivable cars or helicopters/downed or otherwise

limited supplies as for crafting building

Hit detection is a little wonky

no hud indicator for health

Items under beds are often unobtainable

Bugs can often be death sentences.

Edited by hatesauce

I dunno about anyone else, but I get a buzz watching how a game develops and evolves into a finished product.

I remember enjoying the whole process with Battlefield 3. I even tried out the BF4 beta as well.

To each its own.

Edited by zaphodity

Its cool that you are being humble, but you are selling yourself a bit short.

Yesterday a few of my friends came across a couple of people in Staroye. We noticed one of them had a gun, the other a shovel and the 3rd was standing in his underwear. We approached and told them in direct chat to put their hands up and drop the gun. As soon as we did the guy with the gun unloaded his m4 into almost naked friend/hostage of his killing him instantly. We immediately fire and take him down. The guy with the shovel runs off and we let him go. I spot a fourth guy on the treeline and take a long shot at him and miss. Anyway we head to Electro and end up running into the guy I shot at. He surrenders quickly and as we cuff him we ask him a few questions. He explained to us that those were his friends and he did not mean to shoot the naked guy but he was tabbed out and when he tabbed back in he accidentally unloaded (bad luck). Anyway I get out 3 med kits and test our new prisoners blood. I then take out the blood bags and begin to fill every blood bag I have.. We then take what we need off of him and back away slowly. That is a completely different Dayz  experience then what I'm used to and also way more fun. If that does not sound like the Dayz you want to play then don't buy this yet. 

How do you know he is being Humble?? For all we know he could add some barebone stuff like vehicles and some guns, then fix the bugs and let the community take over..Which is completely possible because it is Dayz. If you look at the Dayz Mod, it wasn't very far from where Dayz SA is now, when it was released. Look at how much Dayz Mod made for the company that Dean works for for that barebone Mod.. All we can do is wait and see..

In the past month I have read a lot of posts which run on both sides of the argument that's currently raging. One side,says Yes its a bargain now and will pay off later, the other says why should I pay for an incomplete experience. I have seen a lot posts that pretty much say both of these with variations of wording but these are what they boil down to when you strip back the language. Given the sales and the monies (admit it, its a lot) that have come in, I think its a fair assessment to say that how much of a success this will be hinges on what happens in the immediate future and how it is handled. In my own opinion, I don't think its unreasonable to expect more changes sooner now rather than later.

As i said though this is from reading after reading a lot of posts in the last month, and a lot more prior to that as we lead up to release.

Edited by Mixx

I am toying with the idea of buying it, and like everything else I have heard good and bad points, but it looks like so much fun :D

I had to make a choice earlier between Rust of DayZ, I went down the Rust route and honestly regret it for the most part, so now I am looking at DayZ. All I have to do it work out how to buy it without the wife noticing :/ its almost my birthday and I have been dropping hints, but you never know :D

But the real question is.... is it really any different than Rust at the end of the day? The players in Rust are driving me away, not the game, so what is the DayZ community like?