Blade4777980

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet? [With Developer responses]

I say yes with some guidelines.

- Understand that it is alpha, there are issues here and there, but I have yet to crash ONCE. Now think about a triple A title like Battlefield 4, where they are months into official release and the game still crashes every day. For an alpha, it is very playable (with frustrations here and there).

- Be a part of the development process like Rocket said. I don't think I've ever seen a developer stream / explain / connect with the community about a game as much as him and hicks has. I think this shows how passionate they really are, and this is a GOOD thing. Hell Rocket even told you not to buy the game, how many devs would say that to you?

- Buy it if you're patient. If a zombie hits you through a wall here and there and you end up flipping your table, this alpha is not for you.

- And lastly, buy it if you really support the game. I got it because I know I want to be a part of this from the start. I think it shows great promise. Hell I paid for War Z, it would be wrong to not give this game a chance for the same price.

It's already awesome, imagine how good it'll be in six months time.

Get it while it's cheap is my advice, plenty of fun to be had already.

My opinion, yes. The alpha is cheaper than the final version, pay for the alpha and wait for the final version if you like dayz sa.

Is it worth buying Dayz standalone yet or should i wait for it to mature so it's less buggy and more playable??.

Short answer, if you are a Day Z fanboy (like me), then yes. Otherwise no. 

Edited by pyrochyde

I say yes, Because its sitll dayz we play back when it was in just a mod, It's become a game by its self and yes it has some bugs and other issues, but buying it now is showing them that, Hey you make this game what you want to be here is my money please have it.

I discovered DayZ after watching eatmydiction1's YT channel. After going through his playlist I found myself watching every other DayZ vids. Even though my PC is old I took the risk of buying Arma CO for the mod. I can play it in windowed mode but my gpu suffers this black screen hiccup every other minute. Even after that, DayZ the mod is worth it. Very few games can evoke such varied emotions from the player. There are bugs, too much pvp, etc. but its still one of the best games I've ever played. If I had a decent PC and $30 to spare, it'd be a no brainer for me..

My opinion

For the current game? No

For the price? No (it will stay this price for some time)

To see the game? No (you can watch streams)

To participate in development? Possibly

Overall, I would not recommend it. But I think in a few weeks, it might go from "possible" to "yes" on the last one.

Lies!  Don't be fooled!

You know how when parents are like, "Oh, you don't want to play with that...it's no fun.  It's for adults only." but it's actually the totally funnest thing ever?

• Like 1

Please buy it so that I can poison you, watch you die, and then loot your corpse.

It's just the honest thing to do.

Shut up & take my money :)

Seriously... if you keep in mind that its a pre alpha, you WILL enjoy it. Old fashioned DayZ - NO .50 cal noob-bandits, NO Vodniks, BTQs or other shit-tanklike vehicles... i really hope it stays that way.

does that mean, that in a few weeks the price will be lower?

- kinda unfair for these ppl who are "paying" to test..

- a lower price would just increase more ppl especially ppl who may play very agressive...

the price have to be high alltime, this would prevent also ppl to cheat, because if the price is high, the risk would be also.

does that mean, that in a few weeks the price will be lower?

- kinda unfair for these ppl who are "paying" to test..

- a lower price would just increase more ppl especially ppl who may play very agressive...

the price have to be high alltime, this would prevent also ppl to cheat, because if the price is high, the risk would be also.

It will STAY there and not be lowered -,-

20 hours played and still having fun what are you saying dean! haha totally worth it :) support them i wanna see this game rise into something great.

i love dayz mod and standalonehaters gonna hate im enjoying it very much!

Edited by louis25

I think I might buy this one but I have a few questions first.

I read that there aren't that many Zombies at the moment because they want to
refine and tweak the game before they add any more. What I Wonder is, whats the
plan on that one? In the ArmA 2 mod the zombie-threat was non-existent (imo).
I realize that it's going to be in the alpha-stage for a long time but I just wonder what the plan is.

My next question, what is the maximum player capacity on a server at the moment?
I read that Rocket said that in the future we might see 100-200 player capacity,
and any higher than that would require bigger maps which is all good and well.
But what's it at now?

These two things are my main concern, I find it much more enjoyable if the
threat from zombies and players is high constantly (which was what was lacking in the
ArmA 2 mod. You could just run indoors and the Zombies were like pets.)
From what I've read on the forums right now, people say they can play for long stretches of time without
running into anyone. Will this change in the future as the game gets more stable?

Thank you for your time.

And also, will they make it so that everything you have is saved on the server you play on? So that you can't go to a lowpop server, gear up and then switch to a highpop and start pvping.

These things are necessary imo because it doesn't feel like dying is a penalty as much as it is a nuisance. Why be

careful when you can just die, speedloot on a lowpop server and then jump right back into it?

Maybe they're planning to do this in the future and in that case they have my full support. I will buy the shit out of this game, otherwise I'm not sure it's something for me.

And also, will they make it so that everything you have is saved on the server you play on? So that you can't go to a lowpop server, gear up and then switch to a highpop and start pvping.

These things are necessary imo because it doesn't feel like dying is a penalty as much as it is a nuisance. Why be

careful when you can just die, speedloot on a lowpop server and then jump right back into it?

Maybe they're planning to do this in the future and in that case they have my full support. I will buy the shit out of this game, otherwise I'm not sure it's something for me.

That is one of the major selling points of the game so I don't think they will change it. The fact that you can go to any server and have your same character is what they want. 

That means I can't have like 5 different characters anymore but that is fine. I can still go back to mod if I want to play any of those.

imo it is ,if not he waste all the cash he gets tho...Then its worth it :) the more he gets in the start or later it will kick off i guesses . I would worked hared if the nubers rise! my opinion tho .

You can play this game for many houers whit out getting board also :)

After having bought and played the game, I would have to agree with Rocket's comments.

Improvements over the mod:

1. New intuitive inventory system

2. New items + item degradation

Existing problems in the mod that haven't been fixed:

1. Low FPS in towns/cities! I assume they probably fixed this early in the development but after adding more and more interiors to houses/bldgs they're back to where they first started.

2. Zombie walking through walls - even more so than in the mod.

3. Poor/clunky controls

(I personally think they should prioritize fixing these first.)

Edited by tingkagol

I had to explain to my kids how it was different.  The more I had to explain the more I realized how much I like the SA.  Motorcycle helmets are new, look no drink, eating or health bars, all hidden.  No, cannot make waypoints. See how I have just 1/2 a map?  The compass works like this (took me ages, but equip, spacebar, 1st person view) and it is more like real life, you cannot have waypoints without a GPS and all I have is a compass and a map.

As to space, what a premium without tents.  I gave up a cooking pot because making rice seems like a lot of equipment when I could get by with cans.  You need a gas tank, a stove I guess, the pot, and whatever you're going to cook, like rice I guess.  Early in the game all you see is rotten food, not sure why since it makes you sick.  Maybe you can cook it?

Hello

So... if i buy now dayz, will i get a access to beta and a full version? Bescause it's not cheap and i want to buy rust too :D

Hello

So... if i buy now dayz, will i get a access to beta and a full version? Bescause it's not cheap and i want to buy rust too :D

You get instant access to the game when you buy DayZ.  That includes alpha (current), beta and release.

Just make sure you read the game description and understand what alpha means.  That said, it's really good for an alpha. 

• Like 1

You get instant access to the game when you buy DayZ.  That includes alpha (current), beta and release.

Just make sure you read the game description and understand what alpha means.  That said, it's really good for an alpha. 

Oh. Thank you for an answer :). I know what alpha mean's and im ready to help. I played the mod for days and i really want to play standalone

I was always going to buy the standalone, i played the mod from the start and loved it. My mind has been made up about wether or not it's been worth it by the way the dev team patched it within hours and have been adding and fixing through the first few days. So a big :thumbsup: from me.

Also bear in mind that the amount of initial game sales mean that this current price is going to be the cheapest you will get it for a long long time.

It is only going to get better.

Of course it is.

If you like the game, go and buy it. This game has no analogues. Its unique.