SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

Another video devblog. The showcase this time is on usability progress from player feedback at Gamescom, demonstration of the degradation and item damage system, ballistic vests, and even player restraints!

• Like 41

You've been beaten Smash!

I thought that rocket would start off with a Microsoft Sam voice judging from the mask the character is wearing, lol.

Ergh, screwed up the merging, sorry SmashT.

Fixed.

Edited by Inception.

So we will be able to play as a rat i see. Nice.

that will be the new hackorz.

stalk people in rat form, letting your clan know were people are..

/fact, hahaah

• Like 2

Nice. But what if I shoot the cuff of a guys sleeve? does that destroy every loot?

AND LESS FOCUS ON GUNS! MOAR FOCUS ON FEATURES AND CONTENT!

Edited by A.R.S.E
  • Like 1

Oh, and that reminds me, I don't know about the protection level of the vest shown in the video but it must be at least Level III if it stops 5.56. I wonder how they are handling the armor - will it reduce damage by a certain fixed amount or does it actually stop the projectiles?

Oh, and that reminds me, I don't know about the protection level of the vest shown in the video but it must be at least Level III if it stops 5.56. I wonder how they are handling the armor - will it reduce damage by a certain fixed amount or does it actually stop the projectiles?

lets hope dean uses his brain and makes it so it fits in with the medical system

as in instead of doing trauma damage it would do blunt force damage, where in a way would knock you off balance, but not make you bleed. and would still hit quite hard

• Like 2

This is looking amazing! The inventory looks amazingly easy to use (compared to how the ArmA II was for DayZ, here let me put my gun on the ground so I can get my axe out! lol!) The graphics look awesome. It sounds as if they are close to finishing the bubble too.

FIRST PAGE BITCHES WOOOOOOO!!!!!!

On a serious note, I'm extremely excited for alpha. It's getting to the point I expected it to be for release. Everyone who's bitched about it 'taking too long' and 'losing the fanbase', I'm glad they're gone, because now the goodies are left for those of us who wern't impatient dick lickers :P

Edited by Raged
  • Like 2

Very excited to see what they've been doing. The only thing I could see to make it faster to loot things is if you can just right click something and it automatically does things based on what the item is. Example would be clothing auto equip when right clicked. But I don't think that's the way rocket would want to go with DayZ. Part of the danger of looting stuff is that it takes awhile.

As for the networking I would hope rocket and the development team takes as long as it's necessary to make sure it's right. The idea I get from what I've heard of the networking it's MMOish. And there is some proof to what happens when companies get it wrong out there. Early days of of most major MMOs have some great examples of what happens if the communication between the player's computer and the server they're connecting to have problems.

I'm so excited and i just can't hide it

I want to restrain you, not brain you, and while i get all you stuff if you don't move real slow i let you gooooooo..... 
Tonight's the night we're gonna make it happen,
Tonight we'll put all other things aside.
Oh whats wrong this time looks to me like infection
We're going for those AB's in the night.

I want to love you, kill you

etc

• Like 5

I had my doubts after the delays but It looks to me that as long as the stability issues are sorted out the devs are going to nail it.

• Like 1

Good job Rocket and all the other devs.  Glad to see you are listening to the community.

Two shots from 5.56 on an armored target.  Might not be 110% turbo realistic but it is 150% good enough for me.  Better than the current three-five shots to kill!! wooooo!!!

EDIT: I am just starting  to sober up.  it is 400 am and I got back less than an hour ago. I can still taste the rum.  Disregard me till the morning

Edited by Vindicator

No that was a pleasant surprise! Very informative, and personally I love the way its going, SS13 style! :P Its coming along nicely methinks.

• Like 1

Excellent update and news; great devblog.

May I point out that the magazine refill with it's too fast? It will take seconds to restrain a person, the refill will should take some seconds too (maybe a bullet-quantity-related time).

At the firing range, filling 5 bullets in a Beretta 92 magazine it take some seconds to me. I can't imagine 30 x 5.56mm...

• Like 4

What I see is a reason to carry on playing for a lot longer. I am strictly a PvE player, seeking empty servers to make a living. That means I play a lot in a short period, but once I am fully geared, there is no point in continuing. Now, it will take a lot longer to have enough of a stash to feel secure due to a constant slow degrading of items.

On the restraining: I hope it will work out, but I have my reservations. The victim knows that once cuffed, the offenders can beat them to death with a crowbar after taking anything they want to steal. And that if they run, attackers might be reluctant to shoot unless they get can a clean shot to the head, only destroying headgear. So unless there is a good incentive not to kill other players, I am afraid most people will not surrender, leaving bandits with no option but killing their victims. Further, the difference between dying and loosing all your gear is extremely small in DayZ. This would be different if your tents and other loot stashes disappeared when you died, though.

QUICK, EVERYONE TO DAYZGAME.COM

Stoked on the progress. It's looking to be so fucking good.

wake up hangover  :(

say 'hi dad'

make coffee :|

switch on pc

go for wash

'thanks dad' he bring some toast and more coffee :thumbsup:  ;)

look on forums

see word 'devblog' :P  

and I know it going to be a f*cking good day :thumbsup:  :D

Edited by KoS
  • Like 13

On the restraining: I hope it will work out, but I have my reservations. The victim knows that once cuffed, the offenders can beat them to death with a crowbar after taking anything they want to steal. And that if they run, attackers might be reluctant to shoot unless they get can a clean shot to the head, only destroying headgear. So unless there is a good incentive not to kill other players, I am afraid most people will not surrender, leaving bandits with no option but killing their victims. Further, the difference between dying and loosing all your gear is extremely small in DayZ. This would be different if your tents and other loot stashes disappeared when you died, though.

Well, if they only rob you, and given that ppl will have restricted carry space, it is unlikely they will take ALL your loot, so you will lose some better items, but also keep others; so you will still be better off than respawning; if the smash your head in afterwars, well, that is dayz ;)

Nice and unexpected devblog...

i guess we can see why hes been playing payday 2 ;)

also forget about kos you wont solve it and saying this and that will help curb it it wont the system you are doing now will actually result in more kos :lol:

perishable goods for eg , my boots are med ill kill him for his boots. boom guy  dead for boots. as said numerous times you wont curb kos its a part of being a human being. time is the reason people kos most of it because its quicker than collecting the stuff yourself. why spend hrs getting gear when i could just shoot you ? also the danger of getting the gear from dangerous places. so it works out kos is quickest.

so its looking good and by the sound of it your gunna make 3rd person or 1st person a server option. good luck 1st person servers youll be empty 24/7 :lol: