SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

I think there are a couple things I saw that I think should be addressed a bit:

• The transition of the camera from standing still to moving forward seems to immediately jolt a bit. I would like it better if there was a smoother transition, rather than immediately jump from one angle to the next. It may help a bit with movement.
  • There appears to be a bit of alias on the inventory screen. Not sure if that's just optimization or whatnot, but I think if it's fixed as alias is quite a bugger to me, I'd be happy. It's not a huge problem, hell, it may even be ignored, but it's just the little things that make it better. Probably something that would be fixed with the release of the standalone. The texture also appear of less quality than on the character in the inventory screen; I'm sure it's optimization, and if there's an option to make it better, it'd be really convenient. It took me a while to realize he was playing on lower settings. Ignore this comment.
  • I think there should more than just three states. I'm guessing only three states were shown due to damage values, but I also think that there should be several textures, such as say 7 or 8, that shows the decaying process a bit more accurately rather than just seeming as if it suddenly pops to one state from the next. Maybe there is something we just don't see, but if this true, then maybe this suggestion should be noted.
  • Something I've noticed; is there any shorts in the game? Obviously, the player will be influenced by the environment, and say, for instance, it's a really hot day outside. All they can really do is take off their shirt, or pants and reveal their briefs/undershirt. If there was things such as cargo shorts, or basketball shorts - just something to put on - it could make the difference in the character. As I said, maybe they're just not showing it to us.
  • I still think the problem persists where the connection of the player just doesn't seem as nice as it could be where we can't see any glimpse of the weapon we are holding. Granted, I don't want it in my face all the time (like, if I'm standing still and I have my weapon down, then obviously I won't see it), but when I'm moving in a game and I don't see my gun in front of me, I just don't feel as if it's really a player anymore. In ArmA 3, you can see a glimpse of the barrel moving around, and in my opinion, that was good enough for me. If anything, I view that as the best option. Just something I'd like the developers to consider.
  • I think the zoom that we have in ArmA  was not as nice as it is in ArmA 3 currently. What I mean is that, when rocket zooms in to see the environment like a person normally would see it, it takes the usual 1 second from ArmA 2. In ArmA 3, it takes around a quarter of a second rather than a second. I think I like this way better; maybe an option in the Settings, maybe?
  • The option of being able to just click the arrow to slide it into your inventory, I think, should still be there for people who prefer to play that way. Granted, I don't play like that, but there may be some people who would still like the option of doing that.

Maybe I said too much, and I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me (after all, this is opinionated feedback for a pre-alpha), but I think some of these points should at least be addressed/touched upon.

E: Added a new point, crossed out one section. 9/7/2013, 4:48PM

E: Added another new point. 9/7/2013, 4:53PM

Edited by Gesundheit

tbh it was cool when the vendetta film was out but the whole illuminotti shit is boring now has been for years.mostly just chavs now trying to be cool it aint !

What does the Guy Fawkes/V for Vendetta Mask have to do with the illuminati?

Ok I have one question. Shouldn't the item degradation be dumbed down a little bit? One shot and its already in bad shape. Its going to make it hard to get peoples things when you have to get headshots only to protect what your trying to get. And unless your the best sniper out there or you catch them while standing still, your gonna have to get up closer and I dont think they'll want to give you time to aim down. I mean I LOVE the idea but I think one shot is a little too much... can someone explain how this won't be a problem?

Ok I have one question. Shouldn't the item degradation be dumbed down a little bit? One shot and its already in bad shape. Its going to make it hard to get peoples things when you have to get headshots only to protect what your trying to get. And unless your the best sniper out there or you catch them while standing still, your gonna have to get up closer and I dont think they'll want to give you time to aim down. I mean I LOVE the idea but I think one shot is a little too much... can someone explain how this won't be a problem?

The whole idea of it is as a deterrent to those that just shoot on sight... From your post I gather that you fall into that bracket.

There are other ways to "get people's things", hence the hope that an economy will form and bartering will become a thing. As a "last resort", there's always the new restraint system. This isn't a shooter.

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 2

The whole idea of it is as a deterrent to those that just shoot on sight... From your post I gather that you fall into that bracket.

There are other ways to "get people's things", hence the hope that an economy will form and bartering will become a thing. As a "last resort", there's always the new restraint system. This isn't a shooter.

I do realize that there is other ways, but i'm pretty sure if there was a bandit of sorts with a lot of goodies he would not be willing to have a friendly trade and won't be easy to restrain. Shooting other survivors whether they're trying to change it or not is still apart of something in the game. It isn't a shooter but it is a survival simulator. Sometimes bartering isn't the best way to get items.

Edited by DeathStroke

I want a pet rat in game so bad right now. You could store it in your jacket pocket or have it sit on your shoulder.

• Like 3

I posted this in the Other Forum, posting here just to get others opinions and how far this could go.

Urban Clothing / Uniforms

The Urban Feel they are looking for is taking shape and going to be perfect . Wonder if you could randomly spawn with particular clothing  It's like shit went down you ran out of your apartment with what ever you had, hence some are dressed in gawdy civvy clothing some could be barely clothed, sometimes you may spawn in a police Uniform and even more random military uniforms. These Uniforms / Clothing become a comodity and will be highly sort after for protection from the elements in some cases as well as we see Vests for protection

• Like 2

I do realize that there is other ways, but i'm pretty sure if there was a bandit of sorts with a lot of goodies he would not be willing to have a friendly trade and won't be easy to restrain. Shooting other survivors whether they're trying to change it or not is still apart of something in the game. It isn't a shooter but it is a survival simulator. Sometimes bartering isn't the best way to get items.

Well a bandit surely wouldn't be getting all his "goodies" from shooting bambis with the new system that's for sure  ;)

• Like 1

I think its cool that you can develop foot injuries from destroyed shoes.

Hopefully you won't if you just run barefoot though.

I think its cool that you can develop foot injuries from destroyed shoes.

Hopefully you won't if you just run barefoot though.

One Size shoe Fits all , or do you have to search for someone with the same sized Foot :D

I posted this in the Other Forum, posting here just to get others opinions and how far this could go.

Urban Clothing / Uniforms

The Urban Feel they are looking for is taking shape and going to be perfect . Wonder if you could randomly spawn with particular clothing  It's like shit went down you ran out of your apartment with what ever you had, hence some are dressed in gawdy civvy clothing some could be barely clothed, sometimes you may spawn in a police Uniform and even more random military uniforms. These Uniforms / Clothing become a comodity and will be highly sort after for protection from the elements in some cases as well as we see Vests for protection

nope.

Everyone should start with the same basic stuff.  You make your own story.  Spawning with random military uniforms would mess up the progression through gear system/mechanic.   

And for sure no one should spawn with a protective vest.  Everyone would want to have a vest to start and people would suicide to get the best starter gear.  Gear will be a commodity still because find everything you need would be nigh impossible.  Some players might find excess food but no warm clothing so they would want to trade some extra food for a good coat.  Sure they could shoot someone they see wearing a coat but if they did that the coat would be destroyed.  

• Like 3

And for sure no one should spawn with a protective vest. 

Yeah i never said that they should

nope.

Everyone should start with the same basic stuff.  You make your own story.  Spawning with random military uniforms would mess up the progression through gear system/mechanic.   

And for sure no one should spawn with a protective vest.  Everyone would want to have a vest to start and people would suicide to get the best starter gear.  Gear will be a commodity still because find everything you need would be nigh impossible.  Some players might find excess food but no warm clothing so they would want to trade some extra food for a good coat.  Sure they could shoot someone they see wearing a coat but if they did that the coat would be destroyed.  

That brings to the topic of starting with different colored clothing: call me crazy, but I can see people wanting to change their shirt because they spawned with some kind of color they didn't want/disliked.

Personally, I think we should have the option to choose what kind of colored clothing we spawn with, maybe? Such as the way we choose our gender.

The advantage/disadvantage comes from the degree of camouflage only.

I wouldn't want anybody to spawn with stuff in their inventory, but the clothing should definitely be random. IMO

When you give players a choice, they'll choose whatever gives them the greatest advantage.

A properly random clothing choice means it's all fair. (there or thereabouts) 

There would be no huge practical impact, I don't think. Just a little bit of flavour added to the world.

Teams of players will likely want to collect certain types of outfits/items of clothing, which gives greater value to items depending on the rarity.

Non-civilian clothing should be rare to the point that it becomes almost mythical.

As long as it's not entire uniforms, it's not as if the game would be forcing a story onto your character. It's all just salvage, after all.

• Like 4

Well a bandit surely wouldn't be getting all his "goodies" from shooting bambis with the new system that's for sure  ;)

He'll find his "goodies" and then he'll become a bandit with those in use. You still haven't answered my question -_-

He'll find his "goodies" and then he'll become a bandit with those in use. You still haven't answered my question -_-

Youll never win give up now lmao

I think rocket said in reddit that item damaging from bullets was bugged in devblog and that is why it destroyed all items

I think rocket said in reddit that item damaging from bullets was bugged in devblog and that is why it destroyed all items

He said the damage values were pretty crazy, and it was just for showcase purposes. I think we all can agree the damage was a little more than you would expect, lol.

Anyone think that the loading of the bullets into the magazine should take a bit more time?

• Like 3

Beautiful.

I can feel the hours of my life slipping away as I watch this gorgeous beast take shape.

The pile of money that has accumulated from me throwing it at my screen has now filled my room, and accomplished nothing.

Here's the worlds greatest "sweep method" guitar player and also good guy Aussie, Frank Gambale accurately portraying the joy I will feel as I watch DayZ develop.

• Like 2

Nice video, Cheers SmashT.

One question (I tried to hold back, but these things cause them to be asked)

When I am playing in game I have come across other players i sneak up on or AFK, now, with the new restraint system does this mean I can cuff them up? or do they have to be in the surrender position?  can you imagine the horror when a player comes back from the bog and they are chained up?

I am still wondering what system I would need to run it like shown in the video!

Also, you can not release DayZ without zombies in, whats the point? you would get more grief from purchasers than is worth the hassle. release as is bu twith lower jumping lunacy.

• Like 1