SmashT

September Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, PAX, GDC China

Urban Clothing / Uniforms

The Urban Feel they are looking for is taking shape and going to be perfect . Wonder if you could randomly spawn with particular clothing  It's like shit went down you ran out of your apartment with what ever you had, hence some are dressed in gawdy civvy clothing some could be barely clothed, sometimes you may spawn in a police Uniform and even more random military uniforms. These Uniforms / Clothing become a comodity and will be highly sort after for protection from the elements in some cases as well as we see Vests for protection

• Like 1

^ If that sort of idea could be made TRULY random, without being vulnerable to folks who'd just suicide until they got good gear, it would be ace.

If there was like a 1/5000 chance of spawning in non-civillain gear, it'd be reasonable to assume nobody will spam-respawn it.

I do like "random gear" spawn ideas, for adding variety, but they're just WAY too easy to min/max.

Sometimes starting everyone with bugger all is the best way.

^ If that sort of idea could be made TRULY random, without being vulnerable to folks who'd just suicide until they got good gear, it would be ace.

If there was like a 1/5000 chance of spawning in non-civillain gear, it'd be reasonable to assume nobody will spam-respawn it.

I do like "random gear" spawn ideas, for adding variety, but they're just WAY too easy to min/max.

Sometimes starting everyone with bugger all is the best way.

I have a good idea for this.

If you die within a hour or half an hour of respawning you will respawn again with the same gear.

That way it isn't worth spamming it, however if somebody does spawn with camoflauged clothing and ballistic vests, who's to say they don't die purposely so their buds can nab some of that gear.

I'd say a combination of the two old be best.

Spawning in with it should be about as rare as finding it all in the first hour.

• Like 1

Urban Clothing / Uniforms

The Urban Feel they are looking for is taking shape and going to be perfect . Wonder if you could randomly spawn with particular clothing  It's like shit went down you ran out of your apartment with what ever you had, hence some are dressed in gawdy civvy clothing some could be barely clothed, sometimes you may spawn in a police Uniform and even more random military uniforms. These Uniforms / Clothing become a comodity and will be highly sort after for protection from the elements in some cases as well as we see Vests for protection

The zombie apocalypse is not coming within a day, it took probably weeks or months until  so many people got infected. The people who survive, the immune people, would have had enough time to clothe how they want. However, I would like a random clothing system, too.

I have a good idea for this.

If you die within a hour or half an hour of respawning you will respawn again with the same gear.

That way it isn't worth spamming it, however if somebody does spawn with camoflauged clothing and ballistic vests, who's to say they don't die purposely so their buds can nab some of that gear.

I'd say a combination of the two old be best.

Spawning in with it should be about as rare as finding it all in the first hour.

This is a really good idea.

Edit: Wait, it is not a good idea. If you get like NVGs when spawning and then die within an hour you would have the NVGs again...

Edited by Wayze

sooo......Rocket "complaining" about suggestions 

Coming up with ideas if the easy part.

That's not what makes a good designer, anyone can come up with ideas like "more realistic physics".

A good designer is one that can outline their ideas as systems, and describe how those systems work right down to the base math and logic so that a programmer can implement it.

A really good game designer is able to review the entire project, balance out the needs of the design against the practicality of implementation. At a game design level, the designer is worse than useless if they have no knowledge of programming.

So I like the list, but without being combined with consideration and analysis of the points I listed it's essentially worthless.

sooo....what? does it mean i can only post suggestions if have an overall concept for it?! this is bugging me a bit...

http://redd.it/1lyytw

although i have to admit the post he responded to was pecked with very general and over and over again mentioned suggestions

edit: and YES this is an attempt to start a RIOT!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Heh.

I get what he's on to. A lot of suggestions are just ideas that folk pulled straight out of their ass.

Not exactly "Designer" material.

We can't all be expected to have a working knowledge of programming, but enthusiasm has to be tempered with a little dose of reality. :P

Edited by Chabowski

sooo......Rocket "complaining" about suggestions 

sooo....what? does it mean i can only post suggestions if have an overall concept for it?! this is bugging me a bit...

http://redd.it/1lyytw

although i have to admit the post he responded to was pecked with very general and over and over again mentioned suggestions

edit: and YES this is an attempt to start a RIOT!

I think his tone was a bit off just as a response to a list of suggestions but I do get the point.  It was a tad blunt though.

He's probably reached DayZ suggestion saturation point for now.  When literally anyone gets to speak to him they usually just hammer him with ideas.  Even in the Q&A's at the conventions etc. if you actually watch them properly, people use their chance to ask about the SA to suggest stuff instead.  It'd probably drive me fekkin mental tbh.

I do read some suggestions and just think "wut?" but oh well, it's better than people not giving a damn and even now occasionally we still get some genuinely good and new ones.  Tbh it's not our job as the gamers to worry about the actual design of it but having said that, if we do consider that when suggesting things it's got more chance of becoming a reality.

Edited by Fraggle

He did explain his stance on this over a year ago as well: "Ideas are worthless, mechanics are useful". I think that's a fair point. Simply suggesting "we need better cars!" is pretty useless feedback. :)

Edited by Terrorviktor
  • Like 2

He did explain his stance on this over a year ago as well: "Ideas are worthless, mechanics are useful". I think that's a fair point. Simply suggesting "we need better cars!" is pretty useless feedback. :)

to me his statement was a bit unclear.

i think most of the time there are pretty neat suggestions. the ones which you used for example are pretty damn rare. i cannot totaly agree with "ideas are worthless, mechanics are useful".

Edited by joe_mcentire

Well that list looks like "more realistic"  without any in depth information how, why and what are the benefits. Same like saying "Give us a rare Lambo in standalone because there is one guy in Czech that has a Lambo and make physics like iRacing"

Edited by St. Jimmy

Another big day. Work on new tenement building, police station, baseball bat melee, bayonet melee, and network bubble testing #DayZDaily

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378182464012709888

Dev also continues with new zombie system, with promising progress. Also planning and development future... physics etc... #DayZDaily

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378182957141221376

"You feel like eating" Eating? Nope. Looks like she feels like beating someone in the face, methinks #DayZDaily

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378186580378148864/photo/1

BT-WsO7CYAAIbo7.png

This sounds and looks good B) That woman looks like she really want to beat you :D

Just felt good to update these here also if people dont watch the first post.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 4

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378182464012709888

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378182957141221376

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378186580378148864/photo/1

BT-WsO7CYAAIbo7.png

This sounds and looks good B) That woman looks like she really want to beat you :D

Just felt good to update these here also if people dont watch the first post.

I hope I can reload that bat  :P

• Like 5

Prison , great to see Rocket doesnt read these Forums, Posted April "SA DAYZ Prison Yes or No " http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/133005-sa-dayz-prison-yes-or-no/  . but he had the Idea when recently watching The Walking Dead, ya dont say.

prison7_zps06ab3e78.jpg

prison6_zps2fb26622.jpg

Prison10_zps7e37e578.jpg

Cool that it's coming anyway

Pics used for reference only ( they do not belong to dayz )

zombie master is the shit! love that mod, played it so much back in the day!

zombie master is the shit! love that mod, played it so much back in the day!

Quite correct, very good Mod and great Models which is why I posted tells a story of what we could have by adding the Prison . Full Thread is here, have your say http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/133005-sa-dayz-prison-yes-or-no/

• Like 1

I also think the answer to SmashT's question is interesting:

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/378189412028272640

Now that is interesting, tbh I thought they'd just dropped the idea.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the next blog/batch of info because the they're taking on new people and it should open up some interesting possibilities.

I'm genuinely looking forward to the next blog/batch of info because the they're taking on new people and it should open up some interesting possibilities.

I'm guessing you already read this but if someone else missed it :)

We have engaged a number of people involved in the community, although one of the biggest barriers is that the project is of such magnitude now that it really requires onsite, full-time, people. Many in the community cannot make such a significant commitment.

We inducted four new programmers officially last week, who came off the team behind Carrier Command. They have previous experience with the engine, so they aren't entirely new. I am really excited as I think they are fantastic additions to the team, I can't wait to outline to everyone what they are coming up with.

We are also hiring a significant amount of other staff. We are in temporary office accommodation until our (even bigger) office is available later in the month.

We also have another dedicated, fulltime, onsite designer. He is a regular reader of Reddit and in fact spent a significant portion of today pouring over the forums. I'm sure we'll be introducing him through the devblog sometime soon.

• Like 1

Mother of GOD where the fuck is the fucking september thirteenth update what the fuck for fucking sake.  Why doesn't everybody in teh world revolve around ym shecudile.  Rocet is teh $cam

• Like 2

FRAGGLE QUOTE

" I'm genuinely looking forward to the next blog/batch of info because the they're taking on new people and it should open up some interesting possibilities."

With all the new Guys coming on board with new Ideas etc, I would prefer release was Christmas for the Alpha release the Game gets better with every tidbit of Info released . ROCKET do not release without Zombies please !!!!!!!

Edited by YZ250
  • Like 1

. ROCKET do not release without Zombies please !!!!!!!

Where did you read that?

Where did you read that?

Around 18:15 in the latest devblog when Dean is explaining the new AI proposal. Basically says that the new AI won't affect the alpha release since they probably will stick to the old system initially and replace it with the new improved one later on. He adds though that they could just release without zombies if it's too much of a performance issue.

Edited by Terrorviktor

Around 18:15 in the latest devblog when Dean is explaining the new AI proposal. Basically says that the new AI won't affect the alpha release since they probably will stick to the old system initially and replace it with the new improved one later on. He adds though that they could just release without zombies if it's too much of a performance issue.

Oh, thank you.