SmashT

September Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, PAX, GDC China

so the september roundup is ...that after months (a year almost) of developement and the second slipped "release date" in august

-they are still at redoing gimmicks,

-have no working zombie-ai

-and the most critical point: still to stupid to develope a working server client architecture.

i mean srsly? one year of development and not even a "buggy" alpha is out.

if DayZ fails... if rocket fails, it/he really deserves it,

although i really hope not because i would like to play it

You don't even deserve to play the game.

• Like 1

so the september roundup is ...that after months (a year almost) of developement and the second slipped "release date" in august

-they are still at redoing gimmicks,

-have no working zombie-ai

-and the most critical point: still to stupid to develope a working server client architecture.

i mean srsly? one year of development and not even a "buggy" alpha is out.

if DayZ fails... if rocket fails, it/he really deserves it,

although i really hope not because i would like to play it

Game development takes time.  Even the CoD games take a year to come out and they are basically the same everytime. 

The game wouldn't work at all with the server-client architecture.  It would be like a car with no wheels or a plane without wings.  Broken.

They have started making the zedAI.  it is WIP

There never was any release date in august.  just an analysis (which the game failed b/c it wasn't ready).

Gimmicks??  I think you misspelled core features. Nice try.

Game development takes time.  Even the CoD games take a year to come out and they are basically the same everytime. 

Each COD takes 2 years to make. 2 developers alternating the years of release.

The amount of interest is falling very, very fast.

The alpha build should have been released along time ago regardless to what you rocket lovers say.

The alpha build should have been released along time ago regardless to what you rocket lovers say.

You are not a part of the DayZ development team and therefore have no right saying when the Alpha should have been released. You can however say "I think the alpha should have been released long ago".

lol this comparison is soooooooooooo awesome dude

which CoD would you buy if they release every week a new one ? come on bro, dont be a blind fanboy...

Bongomanconk is right, there is something not working in their team. 

i mean, they gave Rocket in the middle of the project 1 or 2 month free so he can climb this useless mountain...

they said so often that they gonna release it on date X.

What was the first release date ? - almost a year ago...

i can totally understand if ppl get pissed 

its an alpha god damit. there is nothing that has to be perfect...

5 years ago u were lucky if you can play a beta^^ and these betas were also full of bugs...

and if a beta is full of bugs, what can u expect from an alpha ?

Edited by chris90
  • Like 1

It's not an alpha yet and until they get the core multiplayer functionality working, specifically regarding performance and security, it won't be.

Edited by SmashT

Each COD takes 2 years to make. 2 developers alternating the years of release.

Oh duh.  What was I thinking.  You are right.

DayZ development is going at a Rocket's pace but apparently mr. entitled over there thinks it is too slow

I am glad the hype is down.  Makes room for the actual testers. 

It's not an alpha yet and until they get the core multiplayer functionality working, specifically regarding performance and security, it won't be.

you know whats funny? Dean himself has said in interviews that they are at an alpha stage.

But all of a sudden ists magically pre alpha again.

The guy needs to make his mind up.

And for those who dont believe me, look it up.

• Like 2

lol this comparison is soooooooooooo awesome dude

which CoD would you buy if they release every week a new one ? come on bro, dont be a blind fanboy...

Bongomanconk is right, there is something not working in their team. 

i mean, they gave Rocket in the middle of the project 1 or 2 month free so he can climb this useless mountain...

they said so often that they gonna release it on date X.

What was the first release date ? - almost a year ago...

i can totally understand if ppl get pissed 

its an alpha god damit. there is nothing that has to be perfect...

5 years ago u were lucky if you can play a beta^^ and these betas were also full of bugs...

and if a beta is full of bugs, what can u expect from an alpha ?

I know the alpha will be riddled with bugs.  I have known this for a LOONNNGGG time.   

How the hell am I being a fanboy? A fanboy defends something blindly, I am simply pointing somethings out.

You contradict yourself also.  You say that my CoD analogy is a good one but then you ask which one I would buy if they came out weekly?  Where are you going with that?  DayZ don't come out weekly lol.  you confuse me.  

you know whats funny? Dean himself has said in interviews that they are at an alpha stage.

Show me the video where he says that.  I am curious.  

• Like 1

He's repeatedly said it's not an alpha yet and until it reaches that state it won't be released, are you really going to try and find some slip of the tongue where he calls it an alpha in an interview somewhere so you can argue the devs are lying to everyone about it? I thought Rocket had made it quite clear that it's pre-alpha and once an alpha candidate passes it's milestone review it will be released.

"We are not in Alpha yet. I can't release the alpha until we are IN alpha. We are very clearly in pre-alpha, we don't believe their is any sense to releasing a paid Pre-Alpha." [source]

"We aren't alpha yet. Alpha is not a time thing, it's when a game reaches a certain state. The story is that if it took two years to make it right, and that meant drastically reduced sales. We would take two more years. Luckily, progress is going extremely well. But the fact remains - we go alpha when we meet the requirements of it. Not simply as time passes." [source]

"We haven't gone alpha because you can't play the game, you can't verify the core components of the game. Until we have made the changes/fixes required to do that we are pre-alpha." [source]

"Pre-alpha we add all the fundamental changes to the engine. Once that is done, we start alpha and functionality gets added/expanded. But until we're finished the groundbreaking changes to the basics of the engine, we're really doing you and us a disservice by pushing it out" [source]

"Because core multiplayer functionality is not working to the point large-scale testing is worthwhile. During development we have been continually identifying vulnerabilities and performance issues. Some of these are considered "blockers" and need to be solved for Alpha. For example, network "bubble". Originally wasn't scoped a requirement for the first build released... but since we realized it must be for both performance and security. This bubble means players only receive updates to things inside that bubble. Each week we identify, and often solve, blocker issues. Once there are no blockers left, we release the alpha." [source]

"When an alpha candidate passes it's milestone review, it will be released." [source]

"We will not release the game until it hits alpha, which is milestone feature based not date based." [source]
Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

You contradict yourself also.  You say that my CoD analogy is a good one but then you ask which one I would buy if they came out weekly?  Where are you going with that?  DayZ don't come out weekly lol.  you confuse me.  

Think about what he is saying it's quite simple and he is indeed spot on the mark. I will try and explain it another way. People that say " Well it even takes them a Year to make COD and its basically the same every year " POINT being it may only take them 2 Months to finish a new COD but they arent going to release the next Title 2 months after the last one was released now are THEY ?

So comparing DayZ to the release time Periods of each COD is Idiotic is it not ?

Tbh considering the way DayZ has been conceived, it's not really useful to compare it to any other game in development.  Most games would spend a year just going through the concept stage before anyone even starts coding.  

Everyone's entitled to think the devs suck etc but comparing it to the development of other games really is quite pointless.

You don't even deserve to play the game.

Hmm, so basically you're saying you deserve to? No.. You're as bad as everyone trying to protect the game as much as you can. Some people might get suspicious when we've been waiting for at least a year.. Yes, I'm aware it's only been in development for a year, but please... The idea is there, the crowd is there (Losing people), the only problem is time.

You don't deserve anything that he doesn't, so please.. Be quiet about it if you have nothing nice to say.

Besides, getting an alpha out isn't that bad.. Seeing how many bugs, glitches ARMA 2 w/ DayZ has it still got popular, but you know.. They're charging for this game, but so what? I've seen lots of games that charge money for an early product, Minecraft did the same, except it became shit when Jeb took over.

What most people are saying, there's been a lot of time... But not that big progress for a year seeing other games have managed to do a lot in that time.. Ever seen what people can acomplish in just a day, yeah? A lot.

Think about what he is saying it's quite simple and he is indeed spot on the mark. I will try and explain it another way. People that say " Well it even takes them a Year to make COD and its basically the same every year " POINT being it may only take them 2 Months to finish a new COD but they arent going to release the next Title 2 months after the last one was released now are THEY ?

So comparing DayZ to the release time Periods of each COD is Idiotic is it not ?

Agreed, don't know why people keep bringing it up.

Edited by voddler
  • Like 2

Well IMO they are/were in the alpha stage but now that they are taking zombies out and rework them it could be pre-alpha again... and also still working on a basic engine there's no reason to release it. Let them finish the bubble and see if there's some performance tweaking still needed.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Hmm, so basically you're saying you deserve to? No.. You're as bad as everyone trying to protect the game as much as you can. Some people might get suspicious when we've been waiting for at least a year.. Yes, I'm aware it's only been in development for a year, but please... The idea is there, the crowd is there (Losing people), the only problem is time.

There is no "only problem", and there never will be.

You don't deserve anything that he doesn't, so please.. Be quiet about it if you have nothing nice to say.

What someone deserves and what he does not is not for you to decide. Actually this is a very complicated philosophical statement and we could argue about it until we die.

Besides, getting an alpha out isn't that bad.. Seeing how many bugs, glitches ARMA 2 w/ DayZ has it still got popular, but you know.. They're charging for this game, but so what? I've seen lots of games that charge money for an early product, Minecraft did the same, except it became shit when Jeb took over.

They are charging for this game and there are many people who do not like to spend money on something that is not even close to ready. Imagine someone plays it and gets 13FPS with a decent computer, what is he going to do if he is not informend about DayZ development at all? He tells everyone he know that this games sucks ass and that is just doesn't work.

Minecraft did that, but Minecraft is not nearly as complicated as DayZ and additionally when Minecraft was release, the core "engine" was finished. The only thing that happend was adding new features and maybe modify the engine to some extend.

DayZ still has no working "engine". Well, sure it would work, but it would be kind of useless, because there will be a fundamental change within it in the next couple of weeks. The problem with DayZ is that they are programming it and are still working on the concepts. How the zombies work, how the data transmission works etc.

These things are normally all planned out before even starting with the project. In DayZ they are using an engine which is not meant for that sort of game. They have a really hard job to modify this engine, they problem is that there are many, many problem which can occur. If you start a project, plan it out from ground up then you can sort out these problems even before beginning to programm the game. Sure, there will be problems left even if you have a really good plan of what you are doing, but these things are not major.

• Like 3

Tbh considering the way DayZ has been conceived, it's not really useful to compare it to any other game in development.  Most games would spend a year just going through the concept stage before anyone even starts coding.  

Everyone's entitled to think the devs suck etc but comparing it to the development of other games really is quite pointless.

What I will say people have been commenting on things like the emphasis on new additions that will be great when the game is released, however when you don't even have working Zombies as yet they deem these things as pointless. FOCUS on the CORE of the Game they are saying

We can run around in a Motorbike Helmet, and it can take a Melee attack for a short period , but I ride Motocross try running in a Helmet for 1 Km, so result people think, POINTLESS , but it was mentioned in countless Videos by Rocket

Radio Stations : made available so people can listen to some others play music and or comment across a Server . Can this be serious , did the person who thought of this actually play the Mod with a Group of people and think Shit guys what we need here apart from the fucktard who wont shut up on Global Speak, some other Guy playing Music whilst we are planning to get into a Town and reap the benefits.

There are many things being added and most I love, and two I have mentioned are just some I've discussed with others who hate the Ideas, there are many other additions others have bought up they dont like.

We know those that are here regularly this has not held the Game up adding these features, but 9 times out of 10 people are seeing these things being added, deem them insignificant in regards to a working Game and say     " WHY ARE WE NOT IN ALPHA "  They are going by the Dev Videos and things like PAX etc which we love seeing all the things being worked on like Map Development, but for the OCCASIONAL person, they see what i've mentioned above and believe this is whats holding up release.

Yeh I kind of agree in part, at least with how it looks anyway.

When people see a devblog showing off things like radios, new clothes, crafting etc but the devs say "Well we're starting the zeds from scratch and the network bubble-thingy-mabob still isn't complete" to a casual observer it can look pretty retarded.

When you understand though that different members of the team work on different things it kind of put's it in perspective.  It does for me anyway.

eg. The guys that work on the map have nothing to do with the zed AI or the bubbly bit.  So they just work full-time making additions to the map.  The guys that add content such as clothes etc have nothing to do with it either or the Zed AI for that matter.

Basically the guy(s) in charge of the core architecture are working on that and nothing else so it's not a case of screwed up priorities and so on, it's just a case that the game can't be released until that's sorted.  While that's being done other members of the team will continue to add and work on other things.

I'm not saying they have or they haven't messed up,  they tried something with the zeds and it didn't work, they've openly admitted that but if you see something like a new gun or building added, that addition hasn't been made at the expense of time that could have been spent on the Zed AI or engine architecture.

Really though it doesn't change anything however it looks, it still won't be released until that's sorted.

I hope I'm making sense :/

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 6

Yeh I kind of agree in part, at least with how it looks anyway.

When people see a devblog showing off things like radios, new clothes, crafting etc but the devs say "Well we're starting the zeds from scratch and the network bubble-thingy-mabob still isn't complete" to a casual observer it can look pretty retarded.

When you understand though that different members of the team work on different things it kind of put's it in perspective.  It does for me anyway.

eg. The guys that work on the map have nothing to do with the zed AI or the bubbly bit.  So they just work full-time making additions to the map.  The guys that add content such as clothes etc have nothing to do with it eitheror the Zed AI for that matter.

Basically the guy(s) in charge of the core architecture are working on that and nothing else so it's not a case of screwed up priorities and so on, it's just a case that the game can't be released until that's sorted.  While that's being done other members of the team will continue to add and work on other things.

I'm not saying they have or they haven't messed up,  they tried something with the zeds and it didn't work, they've openly admitted that but if you see something like a new gun or building added, that addition hasn't been made at the expense of time that could have been spent on the Zed AI or engine architecture.

Really though it doesn't change anything however it looks, it still won't be released until that's sorted.

I hope I'm making sense :/

Yes agreed, you make it a lot plainer and made more sense  than i did, took me frigging ages typing that ( was watching Aussie Football Final  and drinking copious amounts of Beer)  Alpha release for me, Christmas is just fine

Yay we agreed on something! <3  I tried to bean you but I'm all out.  On that note it's time to bust a beer out the fridge here too.

• Like 1

So really they can't win, they either show stuff as it's completed and people complain because they don't understand that artists, designers etc are working on some things like the map design, new items, weapons, helmets at the same time as their lead programmers are working on core engine features, multiplayer networking,  AI etc and them being completed faster has nothing to do with priorities, simply that these tasks take much longer to complete or they don't talk about anything that's added to the game for months at a time while they are waiting for core functionality to be completed and so people complain that nothing is happening as far as they can tell.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

So really they can't win, they either show stuff as it's completed and people complain because they don't understand that artists, designers etc are working on some things like the map design, new items, weapons, helmets at the same time as their lead programmers are working on core engine features, multiplayer networking,  AI etc and them being completed faster has nothing to do with priorities, simply that these tasks take much longer to complete or they don't talk about anything that's added to the game for months at a time while they are waiting for core functionality to be completed and so people complain that nothing is happening as far as they can tell.

Dude heard of Paragraphs ...........and the Answer is YES