SmashT

September Round-up: DevBlog, #DayZDaily, PAX, GDC China

No Rush for release , but we could do with a new Tidbit of information, nothing like a Video , just some screenies would do.

7 Days to Die is keeping me Busy, no comparisant to DayZ but a fun game all the same

I think he meant the playerbase which will buy the SA.

Isn't the player base of the mod the majority of the people that will be purchasing SA?  You could say some of them stopped playing the mod to wait for SA but you don't really know that.

No Rush for release , but we could do with a new Tidbit of information, nothing like a Video , just some screenies would do.

7 Days to Die is keeping me Busy, no comparisant to DayZ but a fun game all the same

I imagine we'll be getting another devblog within the next week or so after their next month end review (if their recent trend is to be continued).

I'm very interested to hear/see this next one as hopefully we'll get some info on how successful the implementation of the new network bubble has been, as confirmed to have been completed and in testing by SmashT on here.

Edited by RedNome
  • Like 1

Isn't the player base of the mod the majority of the people that will be purchasing SA?  You could say some of them stopped playing the mod to wait for SA but you don't really know that.

No, the majority playing the mod will buy the SA, but they are not the majority of potentiall buyers. Many, many, many people stopped playing it because it is simply boring. It is, if you played it alot. These people play other games and as soon as they realise there is a SA out, they will probably buy it.

Also, the Mod was a Mod and many people seeing it on youtube or elsewhere did not buy it because of the fact that is it very buggy and filled with hackers. Hell, even the installation was rocket science before it came on steam.

The hype is over, long gone. But as soon as people play the SA a new hype will probably occur. Just imagine all those people watching Frankie, him introducing the SA, explaining how awesome it is, what you can do and most importantly that it is way cheaper in the beginning as in the end. Alone Frankie will cause thousands probably tens of thousand people to buy the SA. Even if they play it just a week or so.

I don't know how it will look like in the future, but DayZ never had real advertisment like other games. It was just present in gamer communities lwithin youtube or forums. You cannot imagine how significant a TV spot or similar can be. There is a reason why people pay millions of dollars just to present their products for seconds in a tv spot.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

He's repeatedly said it's not an alpha yet and until it reaches that state it won't be released, are you really going to try and find some slip of the tongue where he calls it an alpha in an interview somewhere so you can argue the devs are lying to everyone about it? I thought Rocket had made it quite clear that it's pre-alpha and once an alpha candidate passes it's milestone review it will be released.

"We are not in Alpha yet. I can't release the alpha until we are IN alpha. We are very clearly in pre-alpha, we don't believe their is any sense to releasing a paid Pre-Alpha." [source]

"We aren't alpha yet. Alpha is not a time thing, it's when a game reaches a certain state. The story is that if it took two years to make it right, and that meant drastically reduced sales. We would take two more years. Luckily, progress is going extremely well. But the fact remains - we go alpha when we meet the requirements of it. Not simply as time passes." [source]

"We haven't gone alpha because you can't play the game, you can't verify the core components of the game. Until we have made the changes/fixes required to do that we are pre-alpha." [source]

"Pre-alpha we add all the fundamental changes to the engine. Once that is done, we start alpha and functionality gets added/expanded. But until we're finished the groundbreaking changes to the basics of the engine, we're really doing you and us a disservice by pushing it out" [source]

"Because core multiplayer functionality is not working to the point large-scale testing is worthwhile. During development we have been continually identifying vulnerabilities and performance issues. Some of these are considered "blockers" and need to be solved for Alpha. For example, network "bubble". Originally wasn't scoped a requirement for the first build released... but since we realized it must be for both performance and security. This bubble means players only receive updates to things inside that bubble. Each week we identify, and often solve, blocker issues. Once there are no blockers left, we release the alpha." [source]

"When an alpha candidate passes it's milestone review, it will be released." [source]

"We will not release the game until it hits alpha, which is milestone feature based not date based." [source]

Look it up. Hes said it.

Edited by nicefish

Not a chance.  We will get a devblog at some point during the first few days of October where Rocket will say they completed the network bubble but the performance still isn't up to par so the next thing holding the alpha back will be the completion of the new zombie AI.

I saw this coming back in March :( http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/127518-dayz-developer-blog-8th-march/?view=findpost&p=1251410

I said so weeks ago, because it's quite apparent from the current state of the game they have only started work on many critical features and some are only in planning stage. My next prediction - I'd be surprised to see anything widely open to the general public before the Christmas holiday season. 

All kinds of problems with project management, funding and under staffing.

• Like 2

https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/382859431878209538

So sprint planning is referring to the last sprint in development right, not sprinting in game?

Also this, whatever the hell it is:

"In these heady days of social media and constant connectivity game developers have endless ways to talk at players. The same technologies allow players to talk back, opening wonderful opportunities for developers to have genuine conversations. Join Wonder (Runic Games), Steve (Torn Banner), Hugh (Unknown Worlds), Alan (Tripwire) and Shannon (The 42nd) for a discussion of how talking with rather than at players can produce better games."

Panelists
Wonder Russell (@bellawonder)
Steve Piggott (@tornbanner)
Shannon Plant (@ShannonZKiller)
Dean Hall (@rocket2guns)
Alan Wilson (@TripwireInt)
Hugh Jeremy (@hugh_jeremy)

Edited by Terrorviktor

Look it up. Hes said it.

So in other words, you coudnt find him saying it?

Yet you said "interviews" so you could point us even to one, could you?

Probably worth noting that the March 8th devblog thread was eighty-six pages long when it was closed on April 10th.

The September Round-up is only at ten pages. Seems like a dramatic decline to me. I assume most people are waiting patiently or have moved on to greener pastures.

EDIT: Obviously I am still here. I can't wait to play the game. 

Edited by DrGonzo

Probably worth noting that the March 8th devblog thread was eighty-six pages long when it was closed on April 10th.

The September Round-up is only at ten pages. Seems like a dramatic decline to me. I assume most people are waiting patiently or have moved on to greener pastures.

September devblog  seemed to be much better received than the previous one, and so theres been far fewer debates going on since then, has been bloody quiet though.

GTA V?

• Like 1

My Hope is they dont release anything that's not playable. Take the time required it's that simple. So far no Zombie Game has even come close to what DayZ is striving for and I count State of Decay and 7 Days to Die in the Bunch also.

Have everything working functional wise before Alpha, hell even release Beta. I've been into the Zombie Genre since the Mid 80's and played almost every Zombie related Game and have almost every Film I know of. The Genre is not going to go away. For those that just discovered the Genre or been into it since say The Walking Dead they are easily appeased by the next Fad in most cases . 

Release the right Game and it will shoot to the Top

• Like 2

Jesus Christ.  The Stand Alone will be out when it's ready.  If you don't want to wait, go get some other POS zombie game that's saturating the market(coincidentally after DayZ Mod made a humongous splash in the gaming community).  So sick of you people bitching and moaning.  Here is an informative topic, with all access to all updates about a project you supposedly love so much by someone who probably has other IRL things that are more important to do, but then you complain.  Do yourself a favor, change your password without looking, then use the password recovery when you want to come here and stop being a cancer on this society.

That post may seem harsh, but ALL OF US are waiting for the damn standalone.  Let Rocket(and co.) work his(their) magic.  After all, if he didn't give a shit about this franchise, he would have never made the gawsh darn mod to begin with.

Edited by Sheepdawg
  • Like 1

again...I would prefer to see an extended closed alpha followed by a proper open beta including most of new content ( especially the completeChernarus+ map !!),..

• Like 1

I wonder at what rate is the Standalone complete for an alpha release.. Like in the percentages. I feel it's an 80% out of 100 if I were to guess.

I have a feeling that with all comms completely dried up, release is just around the corner.

I'm probably wrong mind  :lol:

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

My Hope is they dont release anything that's not playable. Take the time required it's that simple. So far no Zombie Game has even come close to what DayZ is striving for and I count State of Decay and 7 Days to Die in the Bunch also.

Have everything working functional wise before Alpha, hell even release Beta. I've been into the Zombie Genre since the Mid 80's and played almost every Zombie related Game and have almost every Film I know of. The Genre is not going to go away. For those that just discovered the Genre or been into it since say The Walking Dead they are easily appeased by the next Fad in most cases . 

Release the right Game and it will shoot to the Top

When I was eight, my friend showed me the original Night of the Living Dead. It blew my mind, I was terrified as I lived in the country close to a graveyard. I've been addicted ever since. 

• Like 3

Guys, does someone know what the heck is going on with Dean? No reddit, almost zero tweets. Nothing...

Is he on vacation or something?

Guys, does someone know what the heck is going on with Dean? No reddit, almost zero tweets. Nothing...

Is he on vacation or something?

Radio silence. Hence my previous post.

The game is still being updated though...as recently as 3 hours ago

http://steamdb.info/app/221100/#section_history

Something's happening  :ph34r:

*Edited to include similar speculation - http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1n74vg/coming_soon_to_a_pc_near_you/

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 1

Rocket is also known to go into hiding before resurfacing with bad news. October announcement will be about how the game is not playable in the current state and that he doesn't  feel he can charge money for something that does not offer a working multi-player experience. There will also be technical details on how another major part of the engine/dayz script need to be ripped-out and re-written.

Edited by ZlobaRUS54
  • Like 6

Rocket is also known to go into hiding before resurfacing with bad news. October announcement will be about how the game is not playable in the current state and that he doesn't  feel he can charge money for something that does not offer a working multi-player experience. There will also be technical details on how another major part of the engine/dayz script need to be ripped-out and re-written.

Could go both ways but by experience, I could somewhat agree with this. I wouldn't get my hopes up with the good news.

Yep.  Just like I said in another post, Rocket will say that the network bubble was completed but they still don't think the performance is up to par.  The new zombie AI will have to be completed to further increase the performance.  After that is completed, I'm sure there will be something else that will need to be fixed before the alpha releases.  Eventually, he will forgo the alpha release all together and say they decided to just wait and release the fully completed game.

Edited by Zero3ffect
  • Like 2

Yep.  Just like I said in another post, Rocket will say that the network bubble was completed but they still don't think the performance is up to par.  The new zombie AI will have to be completed to further increase the performance.  After that is completed, I'm sure there will be something else that will need to be fixed before the alpha releases.  Eventually, he will forgo the alpha release all together and say they decided to just wait and release the fully completed game.

Yes, a likely scenario. I hope he finds strength to admit the idea of making the game available a s a rolling release alpha was a mistake all along because offering a playable expirience relies on all parts working perfectly together.

Well they just got their new office and new faces I think. Probably very busy.

At least there was this and this

There was also power shutdown in offices in Tuesday.

Edited by St. Jimmy