mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Interesting that they are going with the low tech guns etc to start with so what are the chances of that high powered sniper rifle probably very low. Big question is how long before they wasteland the SA and everyone just plays it?????

In my opinion they're just going back to what DayZ used to be. When I first played finding military loot was like gold dust and seeing a vehicle was even rarer. I think I played for 2 months before I even saw a heli flying past. For me that's when DayZ is at it's best. You have to work hard for everything making it all the sweeter when you find that gun you've been looking for.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 7

My english is just not as good as it should be...

Any one can tell about power plant and or electrical...

I know they talk about it but the sound is not so good and my english is poor.

So please any one can tell me what they said about that. TKX

In my opinion they're just going back to what DayZ used to be. When I first played finding military loot was like gold dust and seeing a vehicle was even rarer. I think I played for 2 months before I even saw a heli flying past. For me that's when DayZ is at it's best. You have to work hard for everything making it all the sweeter when you find that gun you've been looking for.

So true I loved the mod in its first few months because of this, cant get back into it now, just going to wait on the SA because the mod has just become somewhat of a deathmatch where surviving against the environment is irrelevant.

• Like 2

I shouldnt be able to go to a city. Grab EVERYTHING I need in 1 trip and then head up north to get my "end game gear" in the space of a few hours. Its ridiculous as it stands. The spawn rates make it "easy mode". Hell the only version I find of the mod that is even difficult is Dayz2017

• Like 1

My english is just not as good as it should be...

Any one can tell about power plant and or electrical...

I know they talk about it but the sound is not so good and my english is poor.

So please any one can tell me what they said about that. TKX

They have implemented a headlamp already and could apply the same lighting to other objects like flood lights for example. A full electrical system utilising the power station and wiring up cities etc is only planned for much later in the year though when they start start implementing base building. They have some ideas taken from Space Station 13 and how electricity is implemented in that game but that sort of stuff is a long way off (end of the year at least) and right now they are just focussing on getting the alpha out.

Rocket has talked about power generation previously on Reddit also:

I did a massive amount of research into power generation during natural disasters. There is a great thread on straight dope about the subject, actually.

It would appear, that under most circumstances unless authorities made a very concerted effort and had plenty of time to prepare, prior to abandoning a power station, that it would trip within hours (maximum days) of being unmanned.

The problem is the inter-connectivity of the power grid. Unless an area is deliberately disconnected to become an island in the power supply, even if you try and restart the power station it is going to trip. This issue was covered in Stephen King's "The Stand" quite well. Starting up a power station from having tripped is an extremely complex task, and very daunting, even for professionals.

It would take only a few problems in a country before, left unmanned, the power stations would turn themselves off and when one starts doing it, the cascading effect happens very fast. This has already been seen from recent disasters. Luckily, most natural disasters are reasonably localized so personnel are available and online to assist with prevent a serious power issue from becoming catastrophic across a nation.

Generation isn't the major key, it is the complexity of the system. Powering a few lamps is one thing, powering a town or a city is another.

Certainly, we do need some more work on lights to bring up the atmosphere, but I'm a total geek when it comes to the reality behind the situation. It is also terrifying to me, and important, to demonstrate to people just how fragile our system is when you take personnel out of a system. If the workers go home from the power-station, most will trip within hours.

Edited by smasht_AU

How bout when we go into this "underground" instance it just opens up minecraft xD

• Like 2

You know, I was initially kind of pissed that they put out recycled PAX footage with some obnoxious streamer tagalong. I am normally a pretty vehement defender of the actions of the devs, but for some reason, inititally... I was rubbed the wrong way with this devblog.

However, big however... When I re-heard Rocket detail about how the team will spend the two months while he's at Everest working almost exclusively on the server-side back end... I was more relieved than anything. With that in mind, it doesn't bother me so much that we're not getting a slew of content updates. Not like they're gonna' release a page full of serverside code (which I'm some folks would jizz over).

Thanks Matt for the interesting screens of the tanker. Doubt I'll ever go there, because the coast is suicide... but I like how you all are attempting to explore new places to go in-game.

• Like 2

Something that bothers me about the PAX footage is the new inventory system kind of negates the searching for loot. Why would you look under the bed if you can just hit G and see the "hidden" stuff in the 'ground' section of the inventory screen? Or do you have to highlight it with your cursor before it shows up?

Good call. I didn't really account for this consequence. Dunno how they'd rectify this other than removing the "Overall Loot" functionality.

They have implemented a headlamp already and could apply the same lighting to other objects like flood lights for example. A full electrical system utilising the power station and wiring up cities etc is only planned for much later in the year though when they start start implementing base building. They have some ideas taken from Space Station 13 and how electricity is implemented in that game but that sort of stuff is a long way off (end of the year at least) and right now they are just focussing on getting the alpha out.

Rocket has talked about power generation previously on Reddit also:

Thanks you for the info :)

the concept is amazing... i like the idea of finding sunk ships along the coast waters... i really like the vast room i see in these hulls, but i really really hope you guys fill them up with things to like creates etc... to give the inside a more realistic approach , not just empty rooms. More than likely these are just test pictures of the ships hull and you will add stuff in. the one think in my opinion which makes a game visually stunning is not that it has good graphics, its that it actually looks real in the sense that you see everything you would expect to see there.

If anyone knows STALKER they will know that all are welcome aboard Beard's swamp icebreaker. Bandits and Stalkers. I will give away food and drinks for 5.45x39 MGR like Metro 2033.

I will throw flares up into the air whenever there is and emission, like stalker

Edited by Vindicator
  • Like 3

Mv1hGa9.jpg

I'm horribly ashamed that I missed the opportunity to make a Water World reference, but I'm glad these forums have other connoisseurs of the most exquisite North American cinema.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 4

The real question that everyone seems to be overlooking, is, who is the hot red head in green? REVEAL YOURSELF!! ;-)

• Like 1

The real question that everyone seems to be overlooking, is, who is the hot red head in green? REVEAL YOURSELF!! ;-)

I don't remember the name but she did interview Rocket in her stream one night, and yes she is Gorgeous!

I believe she a famous superhero, not sure which, but she's clearly dressed for fighting crime.

[edit] ShannonZKiller on youtube

Edited by Dallas

I believe she a famous superhero, not sure which, but she's clearly dressed for fighting crime.

Well the next crime she needs to fight has a insurmountable twist, my heart has been stolen, and she is the thief!

I call dibs, this is going to be my home fortress. "We shoot on sight".

I'm so glad they borrowed the animations and tactical pace dynamic from Arma 3. I'm starting to get excoited!

Edited by infi

I call dibs, this is going to be my home fortress. "We shoot on sight".

I'm so glad they borrowed the animations and tactical pace dynamic from Arma 3. I'm starting to get excoited!

Sorry, see earlier...the ship is mine. You are welcome to leave gifts at the stern.

• Like 1