mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Very nice. Will be shadows/hdr light system inside "buildings"?

Ditto from me. Those interior shots look very "flat" to me. There seems to be no lighting model there at all. If that's how it has to be, then that's fine, but I'd love to see more atmosphere.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 5

That looks really cool. Keep up the good work guys. I know not everyone is going to like what I'm about to say but, take however long you need to get SA polished and ready. I've said this countless times before and I'll say it again, I'd rather have a furbished game with as much content as possible, than a glitchy and lacking content game that will need updates repeatedly.

• Like 1

One of the main differences that I've noticed in testing is that interiors don't look flat like that as they do in the mod (outside lighting affects interior lighting/shadows ect) so I'm not sure what circumstances the pics were taken in.

• Like 1

The ship looks ace, i can see some great battles raging in there. :)

Edited by DazTroyer

One of the main differences that I've noticed in testing is that interiors don't look flat like that as they do in the mod (outside lighting affects interior lighting/shadows ect) so I'm not sure what circumstances the pics were taken in.

From the pictures that you can see outside, it kind of looks like the texture details are turned down so maybe shadows were turned off when the pictures were taken?

From the pictures that you can see outside, it kind of looks like the texture details are turned down so maybe shadows were turned off when the pictures were taken?

Yeh, possibly, which is a shame if that's the case. Although I can see some shadows near the openings but the rest looks really flat like the mod.

Edit - Maybe it's because the ship is still only on the small test island and not integrated into the main map yet? Would make sense.

Later on (gotta go out in a sec) I'll ask for some permission to take some more screenies of the ships interior under different conditions and see what happens, hopefully I'll be able to post them up here (I'll have to run them past the devs first).

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 3

@matt

Thanks for this devblog.

What I was wondering now for a long time and that hasn't been answered anywhere:

Will SA servers require frequent restarts as in multiple times per day (24hrs) ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Edited by ZuluActual

AWww noo, I see inverted face normals on the railing to the right of screen, roughly hip height. Regardless, this is looking fantastic :)

What?

A 3d model is made of "faces". These faces can be numerous shapes. The "faces" of these shapes are what you texture. To save on processing or some such, only one side of the face is actually textured. A flipped normal is where the face is pointing the wrong direction. Thus your texture is on the inside of the model you are making instead of the outside. Viewing the face from the wrong direction will leave it looking transparent since the other side of the face is the thing thats actually textured.

Im sure you can google a better explanation than the one I just gave you. Or just learn some 3D modeling by using a program like Blender.

Sorry if this has already been replied to.

Edited by Talibambi
  • Like 1

Yeh, possibly, which is a shame if that's the case. Although I can see some shadows near the openings but the rest looks really flat like the mod.

Edit - Maybe it's because the ship is still only on the small test island and not integrated into the main map yet? Would make sense.

Later on (gotta go out in a sec) I'll ask for some permission to take some more screenies of the ships interior under different conditions and see what happens, hopefully I'll be able to post them up here (I'll have to run them past the devs first).

Did you just say that you have DayZ standalone pre-alpha or is it something else where you can take those screenshots?

Also those first page screens are taken deep inside the wreck and that's why you can't see the sun light much on anything but it's there where it can reach. It can't be made better or otherwise Arma and DayZ would have better lighting and shadows than any game (or maybe tech demo) I've seen. I think there never have been any shadows inside buildings etc. in Arma.

Oh can't wait for the second part. The PAX Q&A I'd already seen but that Q&A after the show was new to me

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Im changing my name to Big-Fat-Ugly-Bug-Face-Baby-Eating O'Brien and blasting 'cabin fever' over direct com's (I'll be a pirate, see?).

Anyone coming within one kilometer of me will diserve to die :P .

• Like 2

The ship's mine! You all stay away you hear! Unless you bring rum and wenches.

• Like 3

wl29up.jpg

I am wenches...

Edited by Hoik
  • Like 2

I will never understand why Rocket decided to do all this extra job and work on ARMA II engine when he could just take ARMA III, delete all unnecessary content (tanks and whatnot), implement their current structure on anti-hacking and server architecture, and just release the game. THen add more to it like Minecraft did. In couple of days Dayz ARMA III mod will come out, check this out: http://imgur.com/a/Z6MEm

I'm not optimistic that there would be shadowing. I suspect they will bake the ship onto the map as Arma has geometry issues with discrete objects over 50 cubic metres, and AFAIK, 'terrain' doesn't cast shadows (even in A3), so I'm not really hopeful. Look forward to your tests though - they may have worked out sone way to do it.

• Like 1

Actually, that's a really good point and currently I'd only be able to look at the ship on the test map (the small island for test objects ect.) so it wouldn't really answer those questions. We'll probably have to wait until it's integrated into the full Chernarus map to see the results :/ .

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

right, not to be a party pooper or anything, but how is the video new? isnt it exactly the same video from about a month or two ago? or am i missing something here? because i am confused :P

@ elf cakes: The video from PAX with the Q&A (the one that this video starts with) is not new. The video after that (with the huddle up around rocket) isnew methinks.

• Like 1

right, not to be a party pooper or anything, but how is the video new? isnt it exactly the same video from about a month or two ago? or am i missing something here? because i am confused :P

It's not all new. I guess there's only so many different ways of saying "this is what we're working on!". If you watch the vid through there is new content though and there is a lot of info to be had.

I will never understand why Rocket decided to do all this extra job and work on ARMA II engine when he could just take ARMA III, delete all unnecessary content (tanks and whatnot), implement their current structure on anti-hacking and server architecture, and just release the game. THen add more to it like Minecraft did. In couple of days Dayz ARMA III mod will come out, check this out: http://imgur.com/a/Z6MEm

I don't know if working on Arma 3 engine had been better to do because I believe they would have needed to strip somewhere same amount of stuff or more (PhysX).

In short because it's been discussed a LOT:

1) It's not the Arma 2 engine

2) The Arma 3 engine is still under heavy development itself so unless you're happy to wait over 2 years for DayZ SA that wouldn't be a good choice.

• Like 6

I am so hyped for the stand alone like everyone else but it takes as long as it takes because I know when this drops it is going to be epic keep up the awesome work Dean and the DayZ team you have made the best survival game to date.....

I hope this ship will spawn like chopper crashsites,

0.1 - 1 % (random number) chance on server restart for the ship to appear, only once of course, somewhere on/off the coast.

Otherwise I am affraid it'll stop beeing something special.

Outstanding, hope to be running around that ship late this year when i get a new PC :). Be interesting if they made it worthwhile going there.

Do you think players will hold parts of the map and guard it when they are on. I bet you could store some great loot in it, deep inside safe as it would take a good bit of time to find it.