mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer blog 26th April, Video from PAX and our latest "building"

Clam down play some scrabble it will come and when it does we shall rejoice in our congealed bean kingdoms.

Scrabble is for pussies. I'm playing Ludo with my cat!

Edited by codestargod

When the game will finally be released, it will be too late. You are hopelessly late.

Comments like this crack me up. People, when you have opinions, even good ones, try not to make them sound like fact instead of an opinion. Trust me, you don't come away looking as smart as you think you do.

Personally, I'm sick of the trend in recent years regarding companies releasing unfinished, unpolished games to meet some deadline. And in some cases in my personal experience, some of these companies didn't even bother to patch in the content that was left out, they simply moved on to the next game. So if it takes awhile to get it right, I don't mind the wait. I'd love to be playing it now as much as everyone else, but not if it isn't ready.

I like the idea of less script kiddies. Their existence is the single worst part of playing a multiplayer game to me. I'm tired of today's whining generation of spoiled, spoon-fed momma's boys who have had most everything given to them in life and cry like a baby when it isn't. These people neither like nor want a challenge. And even though most of today's games are dumbed down to easy mode by pandering corporations, it's still not enough. These people have to pay subscriptions for scripts that play the game for them or otherwise make it even easier. And this isn't even the saddest part. The saddest part is that these people actually DO feel satisfaction and get their ego boosted despite the fact that it was a script that did the work for them, and the only skill they actually posess is the ability to type the 16 digits from their mommy's or daddy's credit card into a field on some hack subscription site. These types of people aren't born into the world like the rest of us, they are shit into being, springing forth into this world from the wrong hole. So if it takes time to make scripting harder and limit the abilities of these scripts, I say take as long as you need to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am looking forward to the new inventory and controls design. I want to see and explore the newly updated Chernarus map and witness the graphical improvements and animations. I love the idea that I'll be able to customize my weapons. And I really look forward to the exploits that plague the mod being addressed and fixed. Exploiters are only marginally better than cheaters in my book.

I haven't played DayZ since just after the last patch when the community developers pandered to the whining masses who cried non-stop on the forums after the previous patch actually moved forward in attempting to make zombies and actual threat in a zombie apocalypse game, and nerfed zombies into less than a minor nuisance. And I'm sure many others have taken a break from DayZ, either currently or in the past. But I will definitely buy the standalone in the first available version. And it's my guess that many others taking a break, or who have quit playing DayZ will too. Many players who tried WarZ had never heard of DayZ, because they came from the MMO crowd. But I imagine that most of those have heard of DayZ since and know about the upcoming standalone. And with BI's backing, I'm sure a lot of other MMO players will hear about it too, since the SA will use a MMO style architecture. So there's potentially a lot more players there that will most likely be curious enough to try the game. Finally, I believe that many of those whining about the missed release date, and Rocket's expedition on Mount Everest, and crying how it's too late and how they won't play, actually WILL buy the game to at least try it. And in my opinion, those that DO actually stick to their guns and refuse to buy and play the game, that'll make the game better too. Because those are the types I'd rather not be playing with anyway, and they deserve to miss out if they're that big a baby just because they didn't get their toy when they wanted it.

I feel that whether the SA will succeed and thrive or not, will depend mainly on the competence and pace of updates and patches that fix issues with the game, on new content, and overall support. Pretty much like any other game.

Edited by H4YW1R3
  • Like 8

Maps should also be personalized so that individuals could mark and scribble important notes such as where they hid their loot.

This provides us with excellent justification to merc a mofo and unburden them from their map and things.

Other delectable items could be a polaroid black and white camera and small camcorder to take more visual notes of interesting places/events for sake of posterity.

I don't know about you guys, but if it was me in a real zombie apocalypse scenario, and I had to hide my loot somewhere and I had a map, I would NEVER write in plain words where the loot location is.

Only someone really stupid would do such thing. I wouldn't mark anything in it to be honest, only make mental notes of places of interest.

If somehow I HAD to write something important on a map, I would encrypt it with a code that only I could decypher.

TBH, while the whole concept of partially destroyed maps that you could write onto, soulds like a cool thing, it would probably only be used by the first-month newbies that don't know the landmarks and road signs. All the players that already play the mod will abandon it in the first week or so.

Well, first... and I'm pretty sure it still works like this... the "shared" map markers between everyone that has a map... need to removed pronto.

I've used this, mainly to prove a point, to send legions of fools against over-confident clan bases that I've scouted... It needs to be removed.

I would love to see map scribbles stay persistent and linked to each map, just another layer of complexity that would benefit immersion greatly. Me, I know the map by heart... so I wouldn't need to, but it certainly could be used for a little misdirection if you get killed.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

In addition, I have another important question. Several months ago I read that Bohemia Interactive would not be hosting dedicated servers for the standalone and that, instead, BI would be renting servers out to clans or anyone else who wants one like DayZMod originally was. I believe that model contradicts the "MMO client/server" architecture. Would you comment on this?

Gummy, I've read this a hundred times, and I still fail to see a conflict. Could you elaborate a bit? I don't understand what you mean.

Question, is part 2 of that video coming in today? At the end of part 1, it says it'll be coming on next Tuesday of when the video was published.

I dunno. Knowing them, it is probably next-next-next Tuesday. :D

Edited by osallivan

I dunno. Knowing them, it is probably next-next-next Tuesday. :D

Twosday then ;)

• Like 1

There is "Coming soon" under the Tuesday statement. I'm wondering if soon™ in involved...

Gummy, I've read this a hundred times, and I still fail to see a conflict. Could you elaborate a bit? I don't understand what you mean.

I think he is talking about people who host these servers "admins" who will fuck around with a persistent world of around 60 people or what will it be for the SA a 100 people, just because they can?

I would like to see official servers myself or see servers stripped of as many features as possible, instead of "admins" asking for more tools to interfere with the server/world/game.

• Like 1

They should have bullet-proof vests for all of the cows, chickens, goats, sheep, and especially the chickens! Oh, and by the way, did you know you can get 2 meat from a dog? Cooked dog steaks are... delicious!

I think he is talking about people who host these servers "admins" who will fuck around with a persistent world of around 60 people or what will it be for the SA a 100 people, just because they can?

I would like to see official servers myself or see servers stripped of as many features as possible, instead of "admins" asking for more tools to interfere with the server/world/game.

I'm pretty sure that there aren't any admin tools.

Random Question: I just watched "The Survivors" DayZ trailer again after about 8 months and noticed the bigger tents. Can they no be added into the mod?

I know maybe this is not the right place to post this but I dont want to post a new topic about it.

I would also like to see in the SA lots of different tent types and different ways to cache your loot apart from just tents. Nothing should be completely safe though.

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1

Should have the wreack underwater somewhere as crash sites, for the sea or something like that. At least when you implement underwater gameplay for SA ;)

Edit: By the way, can we fix it and use the ship? :D

Edited by Sinkatze

Have it beached (not fully) in a coastal area away from large towns/cities. They will become a cluster fuck without a massive ship in the harbour.

Quick question, is there a reason why the textures in the first image are ... awful? It looks like something made 10 years ago. I look at the fantastic textures in ARMA 3 and compare them to these and it's just disappointing. If you're taking this amount of time creating a game, start from scratch. Don't use a modified, dated ARMA 2.5 engine. If you don't have the resources to do this, you surely should've made use of the ARMA 3 engine.

I'll emphasise that the DayZ standalone has (or should I say 'had') far more interest than ARMA 3 and yet I get the feeling it's going to be just a more in-depth version of the Mod without updating the physics and game mechanics. Look at the fluidity of Battlefield 3 movement and it's embarrassing how clunky Arma as a series is. The gun control is woeful.

When I hear the lead developer of the game say his favourite bit is the clothing... for fuck sake that is awful. This is a zombie apocalypse game, not Make Me a Model 2013.

Hmmm Very strange that military forces all over the world use software made by BI Simulations for training their soldiers instead of Battlefield 3 ...maybe because Arma is a serious military simulator and current Battlefield nothing else than a Call of Duty clone with better graphics and vehicles....

http://products.bisimulations.com/

• Like 3

Have it beached (not fully) in a coastal area away from large towns/cities. They will become a cluster fuck without a massive ship in the harbour.

Quick question, is there a reason why the textures in the first image are ... awful? It looks like something made 10 years ago. I look at the fantastic textures in ARMA 3 and compare them to these and it's just disappointing. If you're taking this amount of time creating a game, start from scratch. Don't use a modified, dated ARMA 2.5 engine. If you don't have the resources to do this, you surely should've made use of the ARMA 3 engine.

I'll emphasise that the DayZ standalone has (or should I say 'had') far more interest than ARMA 3 and yet I get the feeling it's going to be just a more in-depth version of the Mod without updating the physics and game mechanics. Look at the fluidity of Battlefield 3 movement and it's embarrassing how clunky Arma as a series is. The gun control is woeful.

When I hear the lead developer of the game say his favourite bit is the clothing... for fuck sake that is awful. This is a zombie apocalypse game, not Make Me a Model 2013.

Don't forget that what you're looking at in the vids is a very early test build. The SA will have new player skeletons (newer than Arma 3) allowing for much better animations, these new animations are all being mocapped especially for the SA.

And to take one sentence he spouted of the cuff about clothing ages ago to criticise him just seems a bit silly, if you've read the devblogs and watched the interviews you'll know that he isn't making a dress up doll game.

Edited by Fraggle

Don't forget that what you're looking at in the vids is a very early test build. The SA will have new player skeletons (newer than Arma 3) allowing for much better animations, these new animations are all being mocapped especially for the SA.

And to take one sentence he spouted of the cuff about clothing ages ago to criticise him just seems a bit silly, if you've read the devblogs and watched the interviews you'll know that he isn't making a dress up doll game.

I play dress up doll games with my daughter fragmeister... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Have you played

It also got very fluid movement. Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 3

any news on hunting dogs that can be used to track humans by sniffing them down given a piece of their belongings?

This would be quite beneficial to bounty hunters

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 1

Comments like this crack me up. People, when you have opinions, even good ones, try not to make them sound like fact instead of an opinion. Trust me, you don't come away looking as smart as you think you do.

Personally, I'm sick of the trend in recent years regarding companies releasing unfinished, unpolished games to meet some deadline. And in some cases in my personal experience, some of these companies didn't even bother to patch in the content that was left out, they simply moved on to the next game. So if it takes awhile to get it right, I don't mind the wait. I'd love to be playing it now as much as everyone else, but not if it isn't ready.

Well said Haywire. I'm glad to report that I've passed through my stage of whining about the standalone "delay". I completely agree with everything said here.

I've heard people say they won't play SA until cars are in the game. I say that's their loss. Last night I ran from Kamenka to my dead body near Willow Lake. Almost starved to death and was saved by the Polana supermarket. It was very similar to my early playing experiences except that I know the map a little better now. It was so great. I haven't felt as rewarded in a game as when I got to the lake and saw my ATV and my body there. This is the greatest game I've every played and it's only a mod. I cannot wait for the the standalone to come out but I gladly will.

I know I've gotten a bit off topic but what I'm getting at is this. Great works of art have always caused controversy. This game is an amazing work of art. So to all those who have found me prickly in the past, I sincerely apologize. I've never been involved with a better group of folks than the ones who surround this game. I love being able to log on here and find something so insightful as Haywire's last comment. I support this thing no matter what and I can't wait to see you all online the first day that SA is released. I have a feeling it's going to be amazing.

• Like 5

hopefully they dont use the arma 3 movements and aiming because its appauling. arma 2 has better movement. i couldnt get how they have messed it up so bad with arma 3 and sit here with fingers crossed that it isnt in standalone.

hopefully they dont use the arma 3 movements and aiming because its appauling. arma 2 has better movement. i couldnt get how they have messed it up so bad with arma 3 and sit here with fingers crossed that it isnt in standalone.

I disagree and find Arma 3 to be a vast improvement but I guess only time will tell. I'd imagine whatever they come up with will be unique to DayZ with the new skeletons/animations ect.