rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

I never play on servers with crosshair, it is unrealistic and lacks authenticity.

casual people who are "used" to crosshairs will have to heavily change their habits anyways. DayZ is alot more complex and difficult, with or without crosshairs.

so the argument about the removing of crosshairs being "too demanding" is invalid anyways. the whole game is demanding. one element more or less will not change the audience at all.

and the fact that it heavily hinders hackers makes me support that decision even more.

• Like 3

I'm in the camp that believes that too much (or rather, certain aspects of) realism can be a bad thing. However, I don't believe that the crosshair really adds anything worth keeping to the game.

Remove the stupid white dot, remove crosshair.

• Like 1

There is no reason for a crosshair. You have iron sight, red dot, sniper with a zoom etc...So why a crosshair?

With only an iron sight a m16 will hit with less acc. from a distance and a m14 with red dot will hit with more acc.

If you have a crosshair it would be nearly the same.

And if you can reduce hacking by removing it, remove it :) !!!

Edited by Utzelbrutz

I think having a very small dot centered on screen is best as it allows you to do a few things with it while being very unobtrusive.First is that you really need a reference point when you go to use binoculars,make a melee attack,use a grenade,open doors,pick up objects etc.I do not think the dot should move though but instead be stationary as the crazy erratic crosshair when stamina depleted adds to the clunky feel of Arma2.

This very small dot can also be used as a humanity indicator that can range from green to dark red when placed over another player.Another thing is it can maybe flash to signal a "use default action" option is enabled,like when passing over a door or a ladder.

The dot will also improve the weapons feel of Dayz.Play with no crosshairs on and when you try to bring your weapon sights up your usually way off of the target which just feels off?The dot gives you a reference point so that you can do quick raises of weapon and be spot on target.One thing that can improve this aspect while at same time making hipfiring less accurate is to use the "aiming deadzone" feature.By locking it at a certain level the weapon moves in a small diameter around the stationary crosshair dot that causes accuracy to get worse with distance.Just one click to the right and back it up by half is perfect as too much aiming deadzone is annoying and most people play with none at all.This causes it to be harder to aim when hip firing but the bullets will fall in general direction.Up close though and this slight deadzone is hardly noticeable as it would be in real life.

Edited by wolfstriked

No. Keep it. Why are you trying to push this "realism" thing so far? Arma mechanics are already realistic, with and without crosshairs. Removing the crosshair is just silly...

Maybe a less accurate crosshair would be the best?

Edited by TSAndrey

What if you don't have a gun?

oh...in this case will we be able to unquip our guns ? ...sorry could not resist... :)

back to topic + 1 for removing the crosshair...I mean ...we will probably have jammed guns etc in the SA later on..this does not go very well with casual stuff like crosshairs...

Remove the stupid white dot, remove crosshair.

OMG I can't believe you're the first person to suggest this... .GET RID OF THE PERIPHERAL DOTS!!!!!!!!!!

RUINs the game... I'm always so focus on the center of my screen I didn't even know those existed till a month ago... now it's just gross how easily I can spot/hunt players...

Forget crosshairs as unfair... those peripheral dots are REALLY like ESP for a good player.

+++

Edit

It should be an option on regular servers and completely removed from vet and expert however if I understand the back end correctly will it ONLY stop hacking if it's not an option on ANY level of difficulty???

Edited by NonovUrbizniz
  • Like 1

It may be thought of as "unrealistic" but the variables that go into hip firing a weapon can not be represented on a Cartesian coordinate plane, making hip firing in ArmA, just a guess where the center of your screen is. I personally use the crosshair in CQB, as it is again, a way of representing the real life variables, such as depth perception, and distance.

Not to mention, in ArmA when Aiming Down Sights, the gun becomes a focal point and the rail of the weapon can be seen in the picture, and this is not how your eyes would perceive it. The picture beyond the sight is what the focus is(the pictures would be put together in your brain) This is similar to why the "head Bob" mechanic makes people queezy; IRL we do have a head sway no matter what we do, but the picture is put together in your brain as a flat level image.

Video games are not real life, we don't have to go that far.

Crosshair may be good for melee weapons but I believe that you will improve melee weapon handling so I say go on and remove it if you can prevent some hacks with that move. I don't see why DayZ would even need crosshair if we can aim down the sights and you can hit the zombies from the hip easily in short distances anyway.

Doom doesn't have crosshair and many people love that game :P

Wait....people shoot without aiming down sights?

Aye says I. Remove the crosshairs!

It makes the aiming to easy, and this is a survival game. It ain't supposed to be easy!

I've always played on servers that have the crosshair disabled.

Here's why:

It stops people firing accurately from the hip. There's nothing more annoying than watching people running around firing DMR's, AS50's and so on from the hip. It's been a bug-bear of mine for a long time and I honestly feel that the crosshair changes the gameplay dramatically (for the worse).

What's the point in having a great ballistic simulator (the Arma engine) and then ruining it by giving people a magical crosshair that negates any reason to learn how to use the many different weapons properly. For me it turns DayZ/Arma into an arcade shoot 'em up.

DayZ should reward people that spend time learning the finer details of the game (in my humble opinion). If you spend some time getting used to the "feel" of a certain weapon, nothing is more annoying than being shot from 300 ft away by a noob running sideways with an M14 AIM (that he's never used before) firing from the hip using a magical crosshair. I've seen so many vids of people playing like that and it's horrible to watch. To take an accurate shot from any distance you should have to stop, steady your aim and use your sights as in real life. At close quarters you can still fire from the hip and if caught by surprise you can still open up and surpress to buy yourself a few seconds.

If you remove it, people will cry, rage and whine. There will be tantrums. After a while people that are used to using it will see the benefits of having it disabled as it changes the gameplay for the better and encourages better tactics, more refined gameplay and rewards players that take the time to learn how to shoot properly.

I know it sounds like a rant but I honestly feel really strongly about it. Why spend hundreds (thousands?) of hours refining the mechanics of the various weapons and accuratly re-creating all of the sights and then undo all of that by plonking a magical crosshair on the screen, it's never made sense to me.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 15

OMG I can't believe you're the first person to suggest this... .GET RID OF THE PERIPHERAL DOTS!!!!!!!!!

I think they've disabled them on the upcoming build for DayZMod. Not sure if this means they're gone for the SA. Hope so too.

• Like 1

Only reason I can think of for keeping it would be to represent a rough area to hit for hip firing (i.e. the two outside brackets currently in the game). The hipfire/non ADS crosshairs on an FPS game are only present because it is hard to translate IRL guestimation without it.

For many players, playing an FPS without a crosshair is like shooting a gun without aiming and instead just pointing it in a general direction. Having a crosshair is norm for many players, not just new players. Personally it doesn't bother me but I imagine a lot of players would not be happy about not being given a server-side option.

I have to disagree. Giving people server-side options is great in some cases but when it comes to things that change the gameplay quite dramatically we've all seen what's happened with private servers. If there was an option for server admins in the SA to double the amount of vehicle spawns for example many would use it to make their servers more appealing to new players and to quickly raise player numbers.

Having options to make the game more accessible is the wrong direction to take IMO. DayZ has become popular by doing the exact opposite, by challenging players to learn a new way of approaching a game. There's some thing's that shouldn't be a server side option and I believe this is one of them.

If it makes life harder for hackers then that's just icing on the cake. Nom.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 11

i love the idea, because of certain facts:

-) Yes base difficulty would be greatly increased, but therefore melee conflicts would be extremely increased as well. Therefore...

-) ...massive overweight of PVP would be lowered, as i do not expect ppl to run down a meadow to stab someone to death in comparison to someone with a gun who takes his time to simply take him/her out from distance...

-) ...which would lead again back to more PVE based action and activities, as i believe the team around rocket had this initially in mind.

-) "infected" regain more value

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Red Orchestra has a "floating barrel" mechanic similar to ArmA's (if you do not turn it off) and players have no problems hip firing when the distance allows it. If anything i wish the amount of "float" the weapons have could be enforced by the server, this is one of the things that shouldn't be a personal preference because of how it influence hip firing reliability.

I'd support it as long as it doesn't affect shoulder aiming.

compromise is better in many situations but is can also ruin things, make Dayz SA the exception, make it so you need to actually practise to get good, if people want to be sharpshooters from the off the market is jam packed with titles that allow that, i say be brave, sod compromise and make this game unique. Make it so to be good you need to work at it.

I agree! Be bold and make a statement with this game. The market is undoubtedly jam packed with twitch shooters and mindless run and gun elements. The only way I see DayZ being a groundbreaking game in this market is for it to be difficult and make players want to get better. The more realistic, the better in this case. People are looking for something completely different instead of the same ol' same ol' features. Make it fresh, make it right.....please :)

• Like 4

When we will see "What if we removed 3rd person?" thread :rolleyes:

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 4

When we will see "What if we remove 3rd person?" thread :rolleyes:

Soon, hopefully ;)

• Like 4