rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

Can we please take this Bambi reference to YouTube and leave it there?

It irritates me.

He's using it wrong. A bambi is simply a newly spawned player trying to get enough loot together to make it off of the coast.

• Like 1

He's using it wrong. A bambi is simply a newly spawned player trying to get enough loot together to make it off of the coast.

you are right, i apologise and shall refrain from using it incorrectly in future,

So, what do you call a player who relys on in-game crutches?

Edited by wabbit

Good work, this shows that you can still hit targets without crosshairs but it takes a few shots, the first part shows exactly why it needs to go, 3 shots 3 kills from the hip at 50+ metres with a scoped rifle? that is shooting from the realms of fantasy.

200 meters to be exact. :|

• Like 2

Watch this little video I made on the subject. I was bored...

Nice.

Makes skill and experience count rather than getting a helping hand.

Can help against hackers as well?? Get rid of them i say.

Watch this little video I made on the subject. I was bored...

You can get way more accurate than that with practice.

You can get way more accurate than that with practice.

That's the point - practice counts, not some floating green crosshair to show you the way.

• Like 6

you don't.... play counter strike/bf2/cod etc to feel like a pro marksman.

when u get bored of the game doing all the hard work play dayz and enjoy the challenge of having to try

edit - and why the obsession with 3rd person, 99% of other FPS don't have it

The obsession with 3rd person is because I can't play FPS , it makes me sick to look at , I am a disabled person and thats nobodys fault but would it hurt anybody to leave 3rd person view in as an option so I can play as well .

Dslyecxi argues well for crosshairs on his personal blog, could be worth a read. He makes some good points.

http://blog.dslyecxi...-guys-play-with

EDIT: If you are lazy, he basically says "All in all, I find the notion that crosshairs are “unrealistic” to be pedantic and misinformed. Until ArmA or other games can accurately represent what is involved with using firearms in reality, abstractions will be needed to get the end result to be correct. This is just one of many such abstractions that exist currently. "

I did not find his argument to be very swaying at all :) Aim down the sights works fine in pretty much every game out there without needing a crosshair, hip firing and not using the iron sights is not realistic combat unless you live in hollywood world so ....? It may be only a game we are all discussing but it would be nice to take the training wheels off this bike finally.

I did not find his argument to be very swaying at all :) Aim down the sights works fine in pretty much every game out there without needing a crosshair, hip firing and not using the iron sights is not realistic combat unless you live in hollywood world so ....? It may be only a game we are all discussing but it would be nice to take the training wheels off this bike finally.

DayZ - The Hollywood Edition.

Sounds fun.

IMO It should be a server option.

If the decision is left up to server admins, then the players who want it get it, the players who don't can play on a level field with others of the same opinion.

Taking it out all together would force everyone to play that way weither they want to or not, giving them an option means they could play however they like.

Just my 2 cents. (CDN.. so it's not worth much) :P

• Like 1

IMO It should be a server option.

If the decision is left up to server admins, then the players who want it get it, the players who don't can play on a level field with others of the same opinion.

Taking it out all together would force everyone to play that way weither they want to or not, giving them an option means they could play however they like.

Just my 2 cents. (CDN.. so it's not worth much) :P

Lol have some beanz for the lulz at the end of your point :)

Leaving it as a server side option means most servers leave the ch on. Taking them out means everyone gets used to no ch :) if no ch is such a crutch that people would abandon a game because of that then i'll stand fucked.

• Like 7

Nah, I don't agree with him either but he IS the best Arma (probably would be the best DayZ as well if he played) player out there so what he thinks about the subject is at least worth bringing up. :)

• Like 1

Clearly he has not met my Hero of Chernarus yet ;)

• Like 1

Nope the crosshair is placed based on the orientation of your weapon as it moves around in your hands, so it moves around quite a lot.

Rocket some breaking news Ivan & Martin are FREE please update your signature :P

Remove... anything that makes the game more challenging is a good thing in my opinion. The idea that it should be kept for new players is wrong in my opinion. Being a new player and having to work hard to achieve your goals is a great thing and I envy new players as they have that experience that is hard to recreate once you become familiar with a game.

• Like 1

The obsession with 3rd person is because I can't play FPS , it makes me sick to look at , I am a disabled person and thats nobodys fault but would it hurt anybody to leave 3rd person view in as an option so I can play as well .

If it just makes you feel sick because of the head bob, you can turn that off in the options so your view stays steady.

• Like 1

So, what do you call a player who relys on in-game crutches?

a tenderfoot?

Edited by Rastamaus
  • Like 1

Nah, I don't agree with him either but he IS the best Arma (probably would be the best DayZ as well if he played) player out there so what he thinks about the subject is at least worth bringing up. :)

Irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

DayZ is not Arma][

How good you are is not relevant at all in deciding how a game 'develops' during its development stage

Edited by Guyver1

Irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

DayZ is not Arma][

How good you are is not relevant at all in deciding how a game 'develops' during its development stage

I don't just mean best as in best player. The guy works with (not for as far as I know) BIS giving advice and such just because he has such familiarity with the franchise. And I totally agree, DayZ not Arma, I just wanted to bring another viewpoint on the subject matter. My opinion is still that cross hairs should be removed though.

By the way, am I the only one that hopes that the UI will change color? That green is ridico... ridicio... ridiculous... very ugly.

hmm.. an interesting idea..

The difficulty for me comes from interface between you the player and your character. Third person is allowed because (I read this somewhere) to give players better peripheral vision must like you would have in reality where you can peek over walls,

The crosshair... herm.. well I'd say just make a large circle to indicate your shots will go "more or less here" say about 3 cm in diameter when in third person and nothing in when in first.

I'd make a slightly more specific crosshair for the hatchet though as using that without a x-hair is tricky.

If there is no UI element at all, an external program would need to create their own UI element and then generate it's position via finding out the muzzle direction from code. This might render that application much more detectable via, say for example, VAC. It might also make the application more prone to causing the game to crash

Here's an example:

It's much easier to simply replace wall textures with a transparent texture because the walls already exist in game. If the walls had no texture and were just an engine hard-coded color, you wouldn't be able to replace the texture (although you could find out how to alter the color, but I hope my point is made).

Please note, there are many might's and could's above - this is intentional. I'm just spit-balling the idea. Every new function and change I'm trying to think how we can best implement it to minimize the risks associated with these kinds of things. No doubt those familiar with the creation of the various ESP hacks etc... will be able to point out some flaws/corrections needed to the approach

Why were you talking about "ESP" all the time when you mean Aimbot in fact?

Maybe you should probably make yourself more familiar with types & classes of cheats... because I very much doubt that VAC will do the whole job in the standalone.

i'd think that it must stay if we keep third person view, if we remove it and keep only 1st person view, it would be possible to aim from the hip because you can sort out a trajectory looking at your rifle and the center of the screen.

so: if only 1st person yes

Funny how people argue with realism on the part of removing the crosshairs... I mean it's totally realistic that you wouldn't know where you're actually pointing your gun! /sarcasm

I think you can just remove it, it's not that big of a feature that I'd be missing it really. The only time it's really necessary at the moment is with melee weapons because it is waaaay to hard to guess where you're hitting with those damned things. So maybe keep it for melee weapons until the melee system is improved?

As for the whole 3rd Person talk... I much prefer 3rd Person view in general, not a big fan of 1st person. I like to look at my character.

• Like 2