rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

I'm all for removing it if it makes for a hack-free experience.

If not for that I'd say let the servers decide as the more options the better. I personally I prefer it off, though, and I'm getting bored with the fact that too many of the current DayZ servers cater to create the easiest PvP experience (no nights, start kits, max vehicles etc).

I'd like it removed, especially if you are planning to keep 3rd person.

Weapon handling is too easy anyway in Arma. Seperate issue, but can you also look at the weapon sway and cfgRecoils values on DMR/M24/AS-50 etc? There's virtually no kick and hitting a man sized target repeatedly while standing from 600m + is pretty easy.

EDIT: I thought the game is moving to a 'UI free' look anyway. No point doing all that just to have a magic crosshair on the screen.

Keeping the crosshairs would also render such goodies as laser sights and AN/PEQ pointless (should they ever make it into the game)

Edited by Horde
  • Like 11

the thing that got me so helplessly hooked on dayz was the fact that it was unforgiving and difficult, i didn't even know 3rd person existed till i saw some youtube videos, crosshairs detract from that, they make the part of the game that should be the hardest easier..... why?

I am trying to be objective but honestly can't think of a single good reason to keep it and several that support it's removal.

• Like 1

I've not played with a crosshair for god knows how long now.

Get rid of it. Reduction of the HUD and little features like peripheral dots and crosshairs will make for a far more immersive experience.

• Like 2

I feel so far the only compelling argument made for removing them so far was by rocket himself, with regards to the ESP hacks.

...Why please one or the other, when you could please both? ...

The main reason is that all the functionality required to power it is entirely removed, it becomes more complex for ESP/hacks to locate the direction and orientation of your weapon. It would still be possible just somewhat more difficult. Removing it would also slightly reduce UI clutter, and save a few cycles on your CPU (but extremely marginal)

• Like 2

I feel so far the only compelling argument made for removing them so far was by rocket himself, with regards to the ESP hacks.

I don't get how not having a crosshair would prevent ESP Hacks in any way.

Also after playing on a server with it removed, it's not really an issue with guns that you can aim down the sight with, however using an axe is a real pain.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

Well, not really. This game is getting more and more focused on realism. I don't have a crosshair dangling in front of me everytime I make a hand-eye co-ordinated action.

any artificial device that appears on the main screen makes the game less realistic and is to an extent an emersion breaker, the devs are talking about removing the HUD completely, if that is so then the crosshair should be first to go

• Like 4

I think even those who would vote to keep the crosshairs if you told them well look if we remove it it makes ESP hacks more difficult they would say oh ok well remove it then.

The main reason is that all the functionality required to power it is entirely removed, it becomes more complex for ESP/hacks to locate the direction and orientation of your weapon. It would still be possible just somewhat more difficult. Removing it would also slightly reduce UI clutter, and save a few cycles on your CPU (but extremely marginal)

Well if it is still possible, I feel that they would do it eventually, then it'll just spread like hotcakes. And like you said, the improvement is extremely marginal, and personally I feel it won't improve performance enough to justify the complete removal of a feature many rely on.

I don't get how not having a crosshair would prevent ESP Hacks in any way.

See rocket's quote.

Be good to see some opposing viewpoints, I think there are some compelling arguments that need to be considered for keeping crosshairs.

everyone anti the crosshair be quiet for a moment..... let's hear one good reason to keep it from the pro lobby

Well, not really. This game is getting more and more focused on realism. I don't have a crosshair dangling in front of me everytime I make a hand-eye co-ordinated action.

Yes, but should your personal preference dictate the options available to everyone? That's what I'm getting at. Like I said, my personal choice is no crosshairs, but that shouldn't be the be-all-end-all.

• Like 1

User choice is key.

L

• Like 3

Well if it is still possible, I feel that they would do it eventually, then it'll just spread like hotcakes. And like you said, the improvement is extremely marginal, and personally I feel it won't improve performance enough to justify the complete removal of a feature many rely on.

I still think it will add to the realism that is one of the main reason im in favour of removing it, however slowing down hackers developing ESP's would be good as well. I personally only ever use cross hairs if im in 3rd person with a gun with lots of ammo or panic shooting zombies. But in both instances i could use ADS. I think what is being said is if you make it a choice on servers ESP hackers could still use it, getting rid of it completely would be the only way to stop that or you can take that arguement out completely

Edited by beast101

If there is no UI element at all, an external program would need to create their own UI element and then generate it's position via finding out the muzzle direction from code. This might render that application much more detectable via, say for example, VAC. It might also make the application more prone to causing the game to crash

Here's an example:

It's much easier to simply replace wall textures with a transparent texture because the walls already exist in game. If the walls had no texture and were just an engine hard-coded color, you wouldn't be able to replace the texture (although you could find out how to alter the color, but I hope my point is made).

Please note, there are many might's and could's above - this is intentional. I'm just spit-balling the idea. Every new function and change I'm trying to think how we can best implement it to minimize the risks associated with these kinds of things. No doubt those familiar with the creation of the various ESP hacks etc... will be able to point out some flaws/corrections needed to the approach

• Like 2

As a veteran of FPS games, I say remove it for realisms sake. If you want accurate shots you should HAVE to ADS.

Hip firing and just aiming where the on screen crosshair is ( even if its swaying about more ) really ruins the imersion for me.

hip firing and being accurate IRL takes skill and practice , if people like to hipfire ingame then they have to learn where the bullets are going to go from experience.

A wild west gunslinger fired many thousands of bullets from the hip , all the time getting more and more accurate, until they could hit a penny from 100feet while hip firing.

• Like 9

As a veteran of FPS games, I say remove it for realisms sake. If you want accurate shots you should HAVE to ADS.

Hip firing and just aiming where the on screen crosshair is ( even if its swaying about more ) really ruins the imersion for me.

hip firing and being accurate IRL takes skill and practice , if people like to hipfire ingame then they have to learn where the bullets are going to go from experience.

A wild west gunslinger fired many thousands of bullets from the hip , all the time getting more and more accurate, until they could hit a penny from 100feet while hip firing.

what he said

any artificial device that appears on the main screen makes the game less realistic and is to an extent an emersion breaker, the devs are talking about removing the HUD completely, if that is so then the crosshair should be first to go

If you are removing the entirety of the HUD, then it's a given the crosshairs go. But, whilst the HUD is still there, what makes the crosshair any more immersion-breaking than an ammo counter? or a hunger meter? They're all equally as viable for first choices. And as I've said a few times, when it's a case of multiple options, it's always best to try and compromise.