rocket

What if we removed the crosshair?

hi,

I play without crosshair since ofp. When you are used to it, you know where is the center. If you train to fire from the hipe in the editor you can hit target with good accuracy at 25-30m without problem very quickly. It is the same to loot stuff you know where is the center so you find the object you want to pick up or the ladder you want to climb very easily. It's just a question of training.

As for the new players problem, DayZ is a survival simulation, it means that there's a learning curve. People are too used to Hollywood style gameplay where the player have instant fun since the game do things for them. Let's come back to real skill where player sucks at start and is frustrated because he sucks and then learn how to play and becomes skilled.

EDIT: I agree that the open/close gate addAction needs to be fixed.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller
  • Like 5

Aye, I get what you're saying, and it's true because the only experience I can possibly draw from is my own..

But as I've said in the remaining chunk, it seems that having all these detailed systems and functions akin to reality are surely massively contradicted if there's a crosshair in the mix.

Well, not so much since the crosshair is also subject to these systems and functions. It moves with gun sway, yada yada. However yes, it would really take away from a big part of the immersion. However, that is something that can be fixed with turning them off, and removing the feature would be unnecessary. The other point, about the hacks, is an example of why it should be removed completely.

In other news, SO MANY NOTIFICATIONS AAAAAAAAAAAGH.

• Like 1

hopefully the SA will address the issue with having to find a particular pixel to open gates, access tents etc.....

Easy, not having a weapon equipped makes you do this when you right click:

i6QKiyYTLrcSx.jpg

Can also be used to point out enemies, items etc!

Edited by Nyctalgia
  • Like 6

Slightly off topic, but can you prevent ESP cheats using information taken directly from client memory? (Player locations, direction facing, gear, health etc) Surely you have to send that information to the client at some point?

Edited by smasht_AU

Then you don't have crosshairs anyway.

You are on fire today!

hi,

I play without crosshair since ofp. When you are used to it, you know where is the center. If you train to fire from the hipe in the editor you can hit target with good accuracy at 25-30m without problem very quickly. It is the same to loot stuff you know where is the center so you find the object you want to pick up or the ladder you want to climb very easily. It's just a question of training.

Training to fire from the hip is fine, but you shouldn't have to train to do simple things. Even with crosshair on interacting with stuff is harder and more fiddly than it should be.

hmm, having actually looked at the thread (apologies) I'm undecided.

I personally don't like crosshairs at all (as long as the iron sights etc work) and if removing crosshairs did defeat a common method of hacking then I tend towards that as a step toward making life more tricky for the average scripter...

But there are alot of folk out there who do love/need crosshairs, and I like choice.

If the hackers/scripters/goblins are going to make hacks for the game, then there really is little one can do to halt it. Rather than invest time and resources in stopping them I'd rather see far superior admin tools as, for me nothing beats a live admin.

Obviously I speak from a novice point of view purely as an end user. Make the system easier to moderate and let humans do the work.

L

• Like 3

Would it be possible to have the CH active for say 8 hours game play?

So for your first full day of playing as a bambi you have the crosshairs but once you cross that 8 hour bambi period CH will be removed. Sort of like taking the training wheels off your trike.

This way you can still cater to the new player even if it is for a short period of time.

Why would you need training wheels on a trike...? You already have three wheels. I feel bad for THAT kid....

Also, I like Third Person and I like CH, The game is too clunky and too slow to move around in short range to get a shot off accurately unless I had CH.

---With Third Person I like to see my guy and how he blends in with the environment, when it comes to aiming I move into first person and look around.

---With CH in close I use them to aim, because in real life I would have a grasp on where my gun is actually aiming, I'm not holding a mouse and wiggling it around to hope I get it right.

What if you don't have a gun?

I think he means a melee weapon. How do you aim those things.. They do not have sights...

This will make shooting that much more difficult-- I'm all for it!

Shooting needs to be a skill that's valued by other players (much like piloting, and first aid could be). Everyone should be a wailing, helpless infant until they can either learn how to do something useful or die.

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 4

Then you don't have crosshairs anyway.

Try an axe. Maybe if you could point the tip towards objects.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 2

You do a swipe in the air and see where your weapon moves.

Doesnt sound realistic. If I am swinging it, I know where it is going, I'm not gonna guess where I have to swing and then try it again until I am right.. haha

Remove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesnt sound realistic. If I am swinging it, I know where it is going, I'm not gonna guess where I have to swing and then try it again until I am right.. haha

You mean less realistic than crosshairs? To be honest, what I said is usually how people do it in real life as well. Most people who pick up a melee weapon/bat etc does a practice swing in the air.

Edited by Nyctalgia

You mean less realistic than crosshairs? To be honest, what I said is usually how people do it in real life as well. Most people who pick up a melee weapon/bat etc does a practice swing in the air.

But what I am saying is that they KNOW where they are swinging it. We arent in the game to see and feel where it is going, but in real life everyone can put it in the direction they want it to go.

• Like 1

Regarding the Hacks I want to add:

- Hack Crosshairs are ALWAYS in the center of the screen, mostly because Multihacks also include stuff like No Spread, No recoil and No sway. I bet we will see very similar stuff in the standalone (it already exists in some Arma 2/ ***s).

Regarding the Hacks I want to add:

- Hack Crosshairs are ALWAYS in the center of the screen, mostly because Multihacks also include stuff like No Spread, No recoil and No sway. I bet we will see very similar stuff in the standalone (it already exists in some Arma 2/ ***s).

Standalone calculates shots server side, so none of what you mentioned will be any use. You muzzle direction will be where the shot leaves from - and so the crosshair would need to be calculated based on that.

• Like 4

please remove it.

My biggest issue with it is regarding game immersion.

But you should be able to fire semi-accurate shots without looking through the iron sights.

For the spray-and-pray mode in CQB.

The current accuracy without iron sights feels quite well in this regard.

Standalone calculates shots server side, so none of what you mentioned will be any use. You muzzle direction will be where the shot leaves from - and so the crosshair would need to be calculated based on that.

So.. we are looking at how crosshairs will work in the game now... NIICE! :P

If everything (spread, recoil, breath etc.) was calculated server-side - wouldn't that mean a lot of lag?