rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

I wonder, will there be only the fresh screenshots in the forthcoming tumblr update or also some news about the start of the beta test? ;) God, I want this game... finally :))

Edited by scar-raver

Sorry but I have to ask this again because almost everyone (even some devs) say there will be closed BETA test. Is it really now BETA and not ALPHA? It's very confusing that so many talk about beta but I haven't heard anything that DayZ has moved from alpha to beta.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Sorry but I have to ask this again because almost everyone (even some devs) say there will be closed BETA test. Is it really now BETA and not ALPHA? It's very confusing that so many talk about beta but I haven't heard anything that DayZ has moved from alpha to beta.

From what we've been told they are going to be progressively adding new features for the foreseeable future, so the game is unlikely to follow the usual "alpha -> beta -> RC -> final" sequence.

If you insist on labeling it: while they are still adding features it would (strictly speaking) be in alpha, no matter what anyone calls it. Once there is a feature freeze (if ever) and they start focussing exclusively on bug fixes and other issues, it would move into beta.

Edited by MadDogX

Don't get hung up on terminology. Neither of those terms in a traditional sense (alpha/beta) really describe the stage we're at now due to the unorthadox nature of the way DayZ has been developed so far.

Because of this intitialy it was going to be called "foundation build" but a week after Rocket announced that term, WarZ decided to use it too for their Steam release and due to their major f**k-up the term is now tainted.

It doesn't really matter what it's called, follow the devblogs (there'll be a new one tomorrow with screenshots) and you'll know how progress is going.

Edited by Fraggle

It's a closed technical test, I wouldn't even call it an alpha.

Shut the hell up and take my money!

*reaches into my pocket and throws an IOU*

oh..... well.... ummm... yea.... college.... right.... well... take my support!

*reaches into my chest and throws my heart and soul*

I hereby name the current phase "doughnut" build. Sergey, you can have that one for free.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Cue: Yeah, but what kind of doughnut (or is it donut)?

Does it have a hole in the middle?

Is the filling purple?

Come on we gotta know these things! :D

Edited by philbottle
  • Like 1

From what we've been told they are going to be progressively adding new features for the foreseeable future, so the game is unlikely to follow the usual "alpha -> beta -> RC -> final" sequence.

If you insist on labeling it: while they are still adding features it would (strictly speaking) be in alpha, no matter what anyone calls it. Once there is a feature freeze (if ever) and they start focussing exclusively on bug fixes and other issues, it would move into beta.

Minecraft has long passed alpha, beta, and release stages, and they still add features to the game every thursday.

Because of this intitialy it was going to be called "foundation build" but a week after Rocket announced that term, WarZ decided to use it too for their Steam release and due to their major f**k-up the term is now tainted.

I am surprised the War Z developer has not changed his name to "The Rocketeer"

Today Mario (one of our lead artists) had committed the lighting changes... beautiful! Pics tomorrow with tumblr post

So glad to hear lighting is being looked at now, one of the most annoying things about ArmA II and the mod.

Edited by smasht_AU

I remember rocket mentioned he would ask the guy responsible for ArmA 3 lighting to improve DayZ lighting... I wonder if Mario could be that guy? And I wonder to what extent lighting have been improved... Hopefully we'll have a few answers tomorrow!

Lol, I would wait for them to release ARMA 3 and use the ARMA 3 engine for DayZ SA. :)

Haha No man that will take months maybe more then a year With this arma 2 engine they can do everything they want

I have a few questions about the standalone. If you anyone can answer them that would be great.

1.How Much will it cost?

(Does anyone know?)

2. Does anyone plan on still playing the Mod version after it is released?

(If I buy it I probably won't)

3.Will there be anymore updates to the Mod or is the Standalone getting all the attention?

(Is the Mod forgotten?)

4. Will there be any new weapons in the standalone?

(More guns >:) )

I know some of these are newbie questions,but I asked them anyway. Thanks for any answers you can provide.

:)

Hnngh, use the search.

Edit;

1. The most commonly speculated price(By Rocket and others) is around 15-20 EUR/USD.

2. The mod will become community developed, and there will no doubt be people playing it.

3. See number 2.

4. Yes. I believe there will be more/improved melee weapons, for example.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 2

Use the search function, every single one has been answered.

Edit: Damnit ninja /\

Edited by MacabreLlama99
  • Like 1

Hello there

Try using the search tool as you have rightly guessed these questions have been covered in depth.

I'll leave this open in case a generous soul would like to trot out the answers.

Rgds

LoK

Double Ninja'd

UPDATE: Merged

Edited by orlok

So now, let me get this straight. That's use the search system is it? :D

Anyway, shouldn't this have been posted in or be merged with the thread already entitled "DayZ stand alone?"

screenshots in his faps folder?!?!? :blink:

i asked Rocket about it on facebook and told him the riot that'll happen and he said he was crazy to say it and doesnt know what he was thinking haha

Telling someone to search for speculation is still speculation. I don't think a damn thing is coming out in 2013 even, if ever.

Edited by MakeThemListen

And that's why the search function is your friend. There is plenty of official information on these forums that may put your mind at rest. If not, I guess you'll just have to wait and see.

For those of you without Twitter, you can expect a Devblog update today.

Edited by mzltv