boneboys

DayZ PS4 Discussion

Back then last gen were the best, top high end parts, both. Now mid range at best. Overestimate it is not. ;)

Except that no game uses 8 cores anyway they have plenty hardware to use. How were last gen consoles using high end parts? Are you seriously saying they were as good as PC's back then?

Because the PS4 has like 32x more RAM than the PS3, that's a massive improvement. The rest of the hardware is great too games consoles can push the hardware to the limit to get things looking good.

Ground Zeroes on PS3 and 360 still looks amazing, due to the FOX engine.

So again it's up to the developers if they cut corners and can't be bothered designing new engines, games gonna look shit but if they put the work in they can as near as makes no difference match PC's.

They may have less power than some PC's but not all of a PC's power is dedicated to gaming.

Except that no game uses 8 cores anyway they have plenty hardware to use. How were last gen consoles using high end parts? Are you seriously saying they were as good as PC's back then?

Because the PS4 has like 32x more RAM than the PS3, that's a massive improvement. The rest of the hardware is great too games consoles can push the hardware to the limit to get things looking good.

So again it's up to the developers if they cut corners and can't be bothered designing new engines, games gonna look shit but if they put the work in they can as near as makes no difference match PC's.

They may have less power than some PC's but not all of a PC's power is dedicated to gaming.

You're missing the point, lol.

The current gen consoles will have to last 10 years until the next ones come out. In 10 years I'm sure all games will be fully utilising 8 cores and 16Gb RAM.

• Like 2

You're missing the point, lol.

The current gen consoles will have to last 10 years until the next ones come out. In 10 years I'm sure all games will be fully utilising 8 cores and 16Gb RAM.

Yeah but the limited hardware forces them to optimize games incredibly well if they don't get lazy.

As always compare the first games on last gen to recent ones, consoles get better as they go along happens every time no reason why it wouldn't this time.

Yeah but the limited hardware forces them to optimize games incredibly well if they don't get lazy.

As always compare the first games on last gen to recent ones, consoles get better as they go along happens every time no reason why it wouldn't this time.

True, and it's easier to optimise a game when you only have to take one hardware configuration into consideration, but the low spec hardware can still only do so much...

• Like 2

True, and it's easier to optimise a game when you only have to take one hardware configuration into consideration, but the low spec hardware can still only do so much...

Not like they have the worst specs there's plenty of worse PC's mine is shite and it was £600 last year or so, the consoles are good enough and they'll make their own titles look good enough.

Back then PS3 and xbox360 were high end machines, only in the years after PCs managed to get ahead of them. Still, they had, like all consoles, one fundamental flaw (and advantage): fixed hardware. You can optimize, you can see more clearly where to cut in order to get the best quality out of the available performance, but still... there is so much it can be done. Crysis ported to old gen looked like crap, it's the most obvious example. Also Oblivion had it's dynamic shadows taken off (from the PC version as well, because f**k logic - or perhaps there is one, in the money from Sony and Microsoft). It didn't ran that great back then, more so on PS3, but on PCs as well. The thing is... it still runs like crap on consoles, but now it works like a dream on the PCs of these days, even modded. Same with GTA 4, ran like snail on almost all platforms, runs pretty great now (pro tip, win 8.1 at least does miracles).

You see, games do look better, but they can't match what's going on in the PC environment - and I say again, that was with some high end hardware at launch. New ones... oh well... To put it into perspective, my almost 4 years old CPU and almost 3 years old GPU, give a run for their money on these new ones. 2 more years and I'd say you've got from a build such as this (2500k, 8GB ram, 7950OC) what a console gamer expects to get from a console (that if it doesn't dye on him, of course :D ).

A console need to run an OS as well, ergo PS 4 only has about 5,5GB RAM available to the developer (vRAM + RAM together) and 1 or 2 cores are reserved for the system (not really sure on that one). Even so, those 8 cores are quite slow on speed and efficiency. Now, add DX12 and better optimized OS for the PCs and the advantage of a consoles fades away even more.

All in all, you get real quick to the point of the most popular and weaker hardware, holding you back. :( Ubisoft just stated that the new Assassin's Creed will work on 900p 30fps even on PS 4 in order to provide the same experience (kudos to M$), plus more and more developers say the consoles cannot match the high end PCs now (and no one is talking about uber high end like quad GPU, $1000CPU and so on). Ubisoft was stating that the CPU is not enough to push more due to the AI, whie GPU it could have been able to do more.

Not like they have the worst specs there's plenty of worse PC's mine is shite and it was £600 last year or so, the consoles are good enough and they'll make their own titles look good enough.

Yes, but I'm sure you'll upgrade at some point within the next 10 years... Consoles are stuck with what they have, which was my original point.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

-snip-

Seriously? You're going to base it off of Ubisoft? When they say "can't" they mean "we can't be bothered"

Look at Watch Dogs, they don't know how to make games on consoles, I would argue they don't know how to make games at all even.

There have been 1080p and 60FPS games on the new consoles just most developers have been rushed to get games out right after the release or they just get lazy anyway, Phantom Pain looks phenomenal due to actually being a well crafted game and they've outright said they're making it look better on PS4 than any other system so there's no "That footage was on a PC!" argument.

Yes, but I'm sure you'll upgrade at some point within the next 10 years... Consoles are stuck with what they have, which was my original point.

Yeah, to the next console. I don't see how better hardware is worth it at the cost of some good game series.

Yeah, to the next console. I don't see how better hardware is worth it at the cost of some good game series.

Even in the next 2-3 years the XBOX One and PS4 will be struggling to keep up. Which game series? In all honesty the only "exclusives" that have even remotely interested me as of late have been PC exclusives.

• Like 1

Seriously? You're going to base it off of Ubisoft? When they say "can't" they mean "we can't be bothered"

Look at Watch Dogs, they don't know how to make games on consoles, I would argue they don't know how to make games at all even.

There have been 1080p and 60FPS games on the new consoles just most developers have been rushed to get games out right after the release or they just get lazy anyway, Phantom Pain looks phenomenal due to actually being a well crafted game and they've outright said they're making it look better on PS4 than any other system so there's no "That footage was on a PC!" argument.

From all I wrote there, you've picked just Ubisoft. :)

From all I wrote there, you've picked just Ubisoft. :)

Was just up and couldn't be bothered going in to more of it, can't deny it's a good point though Ubisoft are lazy as heck.

Also Oblivion had it's dynamic shadows taken off (from the PC version as well, because f**k logic - or perhaps there is one, in the money from Sony and Microsoft). It didn't ran that great back then, more so on PS3, but on PCs as well. The thing is... it still runs like crap on consoles, but now it works like a dream on the PCs of these days, even modded. Same with GTA 4, ran like snail on almost all platforms, runs pretty great now (pro tip, win 8.1 at least does miracles).

Yeah I'm not arguing that PC gaming doesn't improve and that console gaming does but it's not all about hardware and specs is it? Bottom line is a game has to be enjoyable.

I think the main thing most PC gamers forget is that console gamers don't really give a shit about using the newest GPU's etc if it doesn't have that console gamers don't instantly regard a system or game as awful because it's "not up to scratch"

The hardware can't improve, so the games have to.

Since getting DayZ I've checked out some PC games and I can not see what all the fuss is about at all it's mostly MMO's that are all pretty much the same people seem to play or multiplatform titles that look unnoticeable better unless you obsess over every detail. I'm not seeing where all the "better" games are the whole argument pretty much is hardware and specs, which isn't what gaming is that's jacking off over technology gaming is entertainment so ask console gamers why they enjoy consoles? "Because it's fun"

And then people try to deny that fun with "the hardware sucks!" for people with overly high standards, acting as though everyone should feel the way they do and bitch whenever something doesn't run perfectly.

My here point is inferior hardware doesn't mean inferior games.

To bring that back to the hardware of the new consoles again PS3/360 were grossly inferior to PC hardware and were still enjoyable and big competitors because they can make games look great if they don't get lazy, if you showed Ubisoft dev's games like The Witcher 3 running on PS4 and asked them why AC can't the response would be awkward silence. The consoles haven't even been out a year yet it takes a good while for the ball to get rolling and has done every time, it's just that with the advent of PC gaming gaining a lot of mass people are more quick to jump on it and act like this will always be the standard.

Even in the next 2-3 years the XBOX One and PS4 will be struggling to keep up. Which game series? In all honesty the only "exclusives" that have even remotely interested me as of late have been PC exclusives.

And yet the PS3/360 didn't even though PC hardware massively improved while they were running? That doesn't make sense.

Because you're a PC gamer, obviously.

(suppose we should get back on topic)

DayZ on PS4...yay!

Jk

I wonder if they're going to stick with a single purchase and continuously feed off PS+ revenue or just make it free to play? Sure hope not if they do a good job I want to give them yet more money, as well as not have to purchase DLC unless it's new lands and stuff.

Some DLC I would like though, extremely minimal DLC though like character features for example scars on faces etc. Anything related to spawning in stuff, big fat NO.

Saying console crowd doesn't care about tech stuff puts you in quite a funny position. Perhaps you had missed (or purposely avoid) all the jokes and remarks about the xbox one not being able to stood it's own ground against PS4 or the pixel counting that went on for the last gen. BTW, the frame rate on TW 3 shown on xbox went close to 20s during a fight and going bellow 30 at each encounter. But hey, let just assume that "frame rate and resolution are just numbers", shall we? :)

Hard to see the difference on multi platform games? Sorry, but that's absurd and not even worth mentioning. Never mind the fact that better image quality helps with the immersion (after all, it's not the same to watch a movie at a cam rip or at a Blue Ray quality), higher frame rate and better, almost lag free/precise controls and so on.

Besides graphics quality, on last gen you were stuck with smaller maps and maximum 24 players in BF while I could just as easy play on 64 players larger servers in Eyefinity (yeah, now that's "the way it's meant to be played). Oh, not to forget about poor fps//fps drops etc. - guess what, consoles games are as well poorly optimized, performance that ALWAYS will remain the same, not matter what you do.

This all "just wait to unleash the power from the consoles" was a leitmotif last gen as well. No real breakthrough though.

Edited by calin_banc

And yet the PS3/360 didn't even though PC hardware massively improved while they were running? That doesn't make sense.

Because you're a PC gamer, obviously.

(suppose we should get back on topic)

DayZ on PS4...yay!

Jk

I wonder if they're going to stick with a single purchase and continuously feed off PS+ revenue or just make it free to play? Sure hope not if they do a good job I want to give them yet more money, as well as not have to purchase DLC unless it's new lands and stuff.

Some DLC I would like though, extremely minimal DLC though like character features for example scars on faces etc. Anything related to spawning in stuff, big fat NO.

Well yes, actually the 360 and PS3 were both struggling massively to run games at 30 FPS in 1280x720 by the end of their lifespan but as has already been explained to you - the 360 and PS3 hardware was higher spec on release than the XBOX One and PS4...

Anyways, as you rightly point out - we are off topic here and this clearly isn't going anywhere so we may just have to agree to disagree.

• Like 2

Well yes, actually the 360 and PS3 were both struggling massively to run games at 30 FPS in 1280x720 by the end of their lifespan but as has already been explained to you - the 360 and PS3 hardware was higher spec on release than the XBOX One and PS4...

Anyways, as you rightly point out - we are off topic here and this clearly isn't going anywhere so we may just have to agree to disagree.

Consoles are inferior at least someone has the brains and common sense to know you can't even argue on statistics. I would also have to say agree with you on the PC exclusives are the only thing that have been catching my eye lately as well. I was once a console gamer, never again will I go back to that rubbish. They always seem to be step down in optimization. PC games always seem to be ahead With just not performance but content as well. At least when compared to console versions of multi-platform games. I might pick up a PS4 just for day z though so i could partake in games with friends that don't PC game.

DayZ Development is moving at a snail's pace.  Who thought it was a good idea to divert DayZ Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and other DayZ resources to a new gaming platform?  The project of going "Standalone is starting to look more and more like a money grab.

In what year, do you think we will have a functional and full DayZ experience on the abandoned PC platform?

I feel like this is a good opportunity for people who have PS4 and don't like/want to put 100's/1000's of dollars into their PC. At the same time however, the game isn't even in Beta, and they're talking about moving it to console?

• Like 1

Why is this such an unfathomable step for you? Literally ALL major companies in the world that produce multiplatform games work on all of the versions of the game at the same time and they usually release them at the same time as well. Why is it such a big deal when DayZ does it? I don't even..

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 2

Why is this such an unfathomable step for you? Literally ALL major companies in the world that produce multiplatform games work on all of the versions of the game at the same time and they usually release them at the same time as well. Why is it such a big deal when DayZ does it? I don't even..

I think this comes from the former generation of consoles where most games were developed for PPC consoles and were then later ported over to x86 PC's (delivering a sub-par gaming experience).

I think this crossplatform announcement triggers that emotion before people understand PC's and this generation of consoles are fundamentally the same hardware. If anything this will force you guys to multithread the engine which in my opinion is a good great thing.  

Edited by Bakermensch

(delivering a sub-par gaming experience).

You're saying that like it was the case with 100% of multiplatform games. In the same speech that announced the PS4 version, Dean re-assured everyone that PC comes first iirc. And that takes some balls to say that on a PS4 stage where you are announcing a PS4 version of your game, imo. I don't really know what else people are looking for in terms of reassuring.

You're saying that like it was the case with 100% of multiplatform games. 

OK 97.8%

I don't really know what else people are looking for in terms of reassuring.

There is nothing you can say, haters gonna hate. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. 

To quote Henry Ford "If i gave people what they wanted i would have made a faster horse"

Edited by Bakermensch

Ya people are ridiculous , dayz is literally the only multiplayer game that has excited me with it's mechanics and ambiance (not to mention groundbreaking player/ player interaction) in the last ten years , I've been addicted to it ever since dayz breaking point came out ... And I haven't even been able to get that feeling from arma 2 because I'm not too big into military games so zombie game works perfectly for me .. But anyways not wanting this company to multiplatform is a gross selfish injustice .

Why wouldn't you want the console gamers to see the greatness that is the Dayz Shakes , that is the mini-convulsions in your hands after you win a battle caused by some misunderstanding in a conversation with a survivor you just met ? Or to know the fear of being that one member of your group left without a broken leg or unconcious , having to traverse elektro alone searching for sticks in the woods or epinephrine in the hospital ..

Point is you'd have to be a selfish prick to not want all of console gamers to experience these feelings we get from dayz , or an arrogant one if you think you're smart enough to foresee some downfall of this game simply because other companies that have failed , save this company the grief and save your breath until this game is at least in beta because it will not be abandoned , WE ALL KNEW the game was going to be on ps3 and xbox from the beginning even before alpha was announced (it was their plan as Long as "alpha sold enough copies" ) so stop thinking like this was some dirty backstab from out of the blue , we all knew about it since December or something.

• Like 4

So has any development started on the PS4 platform?

Well some work has because 64-bit and DX11 wouldn't happen without consoles.

Ya people are ridiculous , dayz is literally the only multiplayer game that has excited me with it's mechanics and ambiance (not to mention groundbreaking player/ player interaction) in the last ten years , I've been addicted to it ever since dayz breaking point came out ... And I haven't even been able to get that feeling from arma 2 because I'm not too big into military games so zombie game works perfectly for me .. But anyways not wanting this company to multiplatform is a gross selfish injustice .

Why wouldn't you want the console gamers to see the greatness that is the Dayz Shakes , that is the mini-convulsions in your hands after you win a battle caused by some misunderstanding in a conversation with a survivor you just met ? Or to know the fear of being that one member of your group left without a broken leg or unconcious , having to traverse elektro alone searching for sticks in the woods or epinephrine in the hospital ..

Point is you'd have to be a selfish prick to not want all of console gamers to experience these feelings we get from dayz , or an arrogant one if you think you're smart enough to foresee some downfall of this game simply because other companies that have failed , save this company the grief and save your breath until this game is at least in beta because it will not be abandoned , WE ALL KNEW the game was going to be on ps3 and xbox from the beginning even before alpha was announced (it was their plan as Long as "alpha sold enough copies" ) so stop thinking like this was some dirty backstab from out of the blue , we all knew about it since December or something.

It has more to do with the fact that the game development is taking a long time without significant improvements and usually games that have gone to consoles as well, equaled dumbing down.