rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

I doubt the effectiveness of suggestions here but I'd be happy to be banned for a certain period to ensure the roll-out could be done? As in' date=' ban everyone, roll it out, release groups of 100 every half hour to ease the load? It's not like you owe anyone up-time haha and it's only going to make things better in the long run

[/quote']

That suggestion would be much less effective than just taking the servers down and bringing them back up one at a time by either time zones or region. 100 every half an hour? Be realistic here. According to the statistics on the home page, there's 64111 players that are alive right now. As much fun as waiting sounds I think I can speak for everyone (besides you apparently) that this would be a bad idea.

That depends. If each connection is somehow linked to master server, then thousands of players hammering a few servers is much worse than 100 players unbanned every 1-5-10 minutes.

I don't know their technical setup, but I believe their huge bottle neck is the central SQL server that everyone connects too. I noticed when I set my server up that the hive makes a mysql connection. With so many people hammering that SQL database, I can see why rocket wouldn't want to take everything down at prime time all at once. Everyone reconnecting to the DB would be way too much for mysql. I don't think mysql was ever meant to take that kind of beating.

I also doubt they have the resources in place to limit or manage a massive amount of connections that this update will cause, so manual organization and management of this patch is going to be key.

I'm still working on it.

Unfortunately' date=' the lull in peak time never happened. And I had forecast that the usual lull would be started now. That isn't happening. So we will try and figure out a way to roll out the patch but it is complicated.

There are so many people playing (over 6500) that if we auto-update the servers the reconnect load caused by everyone coming back on within the same period could, well, crash everything. We don't know if it is possible to handle such load, and I don't really want to try.

So we're coming up with another plan. But it will be within the next six hours assuming that testing has gone okay.

[/quote']

can you show pictures off some off the skins you can find?

It will only get worse in the future when you get even more players for the mod.

...release groups of 100 every half hour...

...there's 64111 players that are alive right now. As much fun as waiting sounds I think I can speak for everyone (besides you apparently) that this would be a bad idea.

Rocket has created a monster, however she's broken and crying for a patch. My mate hasn't done any work in a week straight now and I've put off assignments for a week myself, I don't think a week offline if it's required would be the worst thing in the world - If you increase my sample size of 2 to 64111 I doubt you'll see much of a difference. A crap load of people putting off life to play this puppy haha

So are these findable skins going to be lootable from player corpses?

So are these findable skins going to be lootable from player corpses?

thats what the knife is for...

lol ohhh so evil

Watch as the website gets fragged now with people f5'ing for the new patch deployment :P Appriciate the work Rocket and cant wait to see whats in store in this patch!

mh I'm afraid all those people coming in alpha are going to prevent "real" alpha testers (I don't include myself) to correctly test all the features... I mean rocket clearly won't have enough time to manage servers connections, check out suggestions, how features work or not, and well I don't know. Looks like even more work when making a mod alone is already a ton of work.

Maybe close the alpha would be the solution? with server password? then open up a little bit more with beta, and finally open beta to test server capacity and all.

All I hope is that the mod will grow better and better and include some of the awesome features people are discussing in the suggestion thread. Don't let these minor connection problems slow you down in making the mod awesome, rocket.

I think we should start calling them Builds instead of patches so people will know its in alpha and in development.

I think we should start calling them Builds instead of patches so people will know its in alpha and in development.

This.

[2]. It really is annoying how people keep forgetting its alpha and they complain about everything..

Well from what I've seen, everytime a servers crashed or reset, its bombarded with people trying to get on and apart from being a little slow they seem to handle it fine.

[2]. It really is annoying how people keep forgetting its alpha and they complain about everything..

Complaining is still useful feedback. Not pointing out flaws because "it's alpha" can only hurt the game long term.

This.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!

Well from what I've seen' date=' everytime a servers crashed or reset, its bombarded with people trying to get on and apart from being a little slow they seem to handle it fine.

[/quote']

Yeah but not when EVERY server restarts, then the master server will get bombarded.

If you could fix that thing where shooting one bullet from a clip then logging out makes that whole clip vanish' date=' that'd be nice

[/quote']

Really ?? So You have 2 mags. One still has 28 / 30 and you want it vanished ? If you hate it so much throw it out your self .

If you could fix that thing where shooting one bullet from a clip then logging out makes that whole clip vanish' date=' that'd be nice

[/quote']

Really ?? So You have 2 mags. One still has 28 / 30 and you want it vanished ? If you hate it so much throw it out your self .

I believe he said fix.

Is the player gear duping fix going to be sorted out?

With him fixing the ones from this patch last night, I believe so.