rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

The infection system honestly sounds like a really bad idea to me. If the coughing sound attracts zombies or even just other players' date=' then getting what is basically a cold through what is most likely going to be bad luck more than anything else will pretty much pin you down in one place. Antibiotics are currently so rare that they might as well not exist for 99% of the playerbase, so it sounds like this is totally out of the players hands as far as prevention and treatment go.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they want a hardcore game or whatever, but features like this seem like they either create situations outside the players control that they cannot cope with or prevent outside of essentially idling in one spot and not playing the game if the coughing is going to mean anything at all, which is bad. That isn't to say that there shouldn't be ANY harsh conditions, just that there should be reasonable ways to cope with them and still actually play the game. I guess there is also the chance that antibiotics will become much more common, which will basically just make infections into pointless micromanagement and antibiotics into a mandatory space-filler in the backpack.

I guess we'll see how it plays out ingame, but I really hope Rocket is open to removing it if it doesn't play out well.

[/quote']

I can see where you are coming from. maybe add a feature to "cover" ones mouth to muffle the cough noise (if it does attract z's) which will then leave one hand used up. Which can hinder weapon handling. Or something.

But regardless, this is a mod. He can do whatever he wants with said mod. He even said that this is pretty much the only way to experiment without putting a development team in harms way of failing. Something along those lines lol. I agree. If devs do not take a leap of faith, then all games will soon be nothing but the same. Rocket can and will experiment with this mod to his liking. And since we are not paying anything for this mod, we really do not have a say on this untill it plays out and is released.

I never said or implied that he was obligated to listen to me or anyone else. I'm just giving my feedback on the matter, which he presumably wants since he released the game in an alpha state with feedback forums.

For those talking about infection adding to the simulation aspect: I hope you realize that being cold does not actually cause you to catch The Cold, and antibiotics wouldn't do shit for a cold? This isn't really a realism thing that is being added, it's a gameplay thing.

Antibiotics are probably EPI-PEN or the other one for broken bones. The filename does not always correspond to the actual item ingame.

No. We've found actual item that says antibiotics. They are just rare.

When I look at the changelog it says weapons v1.1.2 but when I look in the downloads it's still weapons v1.1.1.

The whole reason as to why hes released it in alpha stage is to get feedback >_> saying we should not complain when we find something we don't like or cheer when we like something would make the whole idea behind doing this pointless.

He can do what he wants but i am sure he want our opinions on things too since we will be the future player base :)

For those talking about infection adding to the simulation aspect: I hope you realize that being cold does not actually cause you to catch The Cold' date=' and antibiotics wouldn't do shit for a cold? This isn't really a realism thing that is being added, it's a gameplay thing.

[/quote']

I had to register just to thank you for mentioning this issue.

Just to reiterate what Booya said: being cold doesn't increase your chances of catching a cold. That's a myth. (You could die of hypothermia, though. And honestly, in a real survival situation, hypothermia is a much more urgent concern than catching a cold.)

And yes, the common cold is caused by a virus, not bacteria. There is no cure; you can only treat the symptoms, like cough, until your body fights off the viral infection.

I'm fine with the concept of simulating colds (virus) and wound infections (bacteria), but the current implementation isn't realistic.

This patch sounds AMAZING. To everyone complaining that its getting too spergy survivalist leave now. This isn't a video game in a classic sense' date=' its an anti-game. It is not meant to reward you or hold your hold hand, its meant to beat you in to the ground and remind you "Life is hell now, survival is your ONLY option, and it won't be easy." This isn't a zombie shooter, this isn't a deathmatch, its a survival game that takes place in a post-apocalyptic zombie scenario.

Emergent game play abounds because of this setting and difficulty, but it won't necessarily be "fun" game play, or even "video-gamey". What it is however is an incredibly immersive experience that opens the doors to thousands of possibilities, and tons of differing strategies. It is a brutal game, it is an unforgiving game, it is a survival game.

Stop complaining, and go play L4D, you morons.

[/quote']

manly men like yourself are more than welcome on our servers :cool:

Thanks, love your servers :)

From all the time I've spent on DayZ (on mainly EU servers)' date=' I haven't come across anyone using direct comms, amongst those that have mics, either because they believe it's bugged or, more often, because they're using something like Mumble/Teamspeak (not just clans/friends, often for the whole server). I think that's a shame because I think it's potentially a great in-game feature and I love the idea of calling out in the dark or in a desolate suburb on direct chat, either to look for help or initimidate.[/quote']

I use direct chat all the time, even when I meet strangers. EU9 server.

And all text chat is pretty much confined to the side channel. Does text work on the direct channel' date=' if someone's in range? I heard it has been fixed but haven't been able to confirm it, personally.[/quote']

Direct communication channel voice carries to 80m from speaker (and fades over distance). Text carries to 20m from the speaker.

I know we can't stop people using voice-comms that are outside the game' date=' which are already hugely advantageous in coordinating compared to those just using in-game communication, but I think making in-game voice comms suffer penalties will further hamper spontaneous teamwork (often borne out of brutal necessity to survive) which I believe is one of the great strengths of this mod, and what's led to some great stories.

[/quote']

Yep there is no way to prevent people from using external voice communications, but you can always encourage your friends and other people you meet to use direct communication channel. Although it is a bit bugged in the current version, there is a way to make it work. If you go near each other and exit to lobby and rejoin, everyone in the group who spawns near each other will most likely have a working direct comm. I've done this even with strangers I meet and then used direct comm with them.

The infection relates to you catching a cold. In a normal world this is not serious' date=' in DayZ you are fucked.

Antibiotics might be a little rare. I checked the database, only 50 people currently have it in their inventory.

[/quote']

Lower core body temperature could suppress the immune system and thereby increase the risk of upper respiratory infection. However, the common cold is a type of viral infection. Antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by bacteria.

The infection relates to you catching a cold. In a normal world this is not serious' date=' in DayZ you are fucked.

Antibiotics might be a little rare. I checked the database, only 50 people currently have it in their inventory.

[/quote']

Lower core body temperature could suppress the immune system and thereby increase the risk of upper respiratory infection. However, the common cold is a type of viral infection. Antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by bacteria.

Next you'll tell me morphine isn't bone super glue.

Maybe this sickness feature will evolve at players changing to zombies in the future. Because only getting flu is boring as a game mechanic, its just a annoying feature.

sorry my english

No but morphine does relieve fear and anxiety' date=' and decreases hunger.

[/quote']

...while keeping one of the highest rates of physical and mental addiction ;)

For those talking about infection adding to the simulation aspect: I hope you realize that being cold does not actually cause you to catch The Cold' date=' and antibiotics wouldn't do shit for a cold? This isn't really a realism thing that is being added, it's a gameplay thing.

[/quote']

I had to register just to thank you for mentioning this issue.

Just to reiterate what Booya said: being cold doesn't increase your chances of catching a cold. That's a myth. (You could die of hypothermia, though. And honestly, in a real survival situation, hypothermia is a much more urgent concern than catching a cold.)

And yes, the common cold is caused by a virus, not bacteria. There is no cure; you can only treat the symptoms, like cough, until your body fights off the viral infection.

I'm fine with the concept of simulating colds (virus) and wound infections (bacteria), but the current implementation isn't realistic.

Yea. I'm quite ok with simulating hypothermia, but antibiotics have nothing to do with that. If you're really cold and wet, get warmer and eat/drink, that's how you solve it, not via antibiotics.

Hopefully some skins will have temperature variables linked to them.

Also, if you stay away from animals, cook your food and boil your water, do your best to avoid insect bites and have no human contact, the chances of getting some kind of virus is...very very remote.

Getting chewed on by infected zombies however...yea....that's gonna fuck you up :)

It's just the start though, no biggy.