rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

I'd rather you waited til Monday. Weekends don't need patches.

It's Queen Victoria weekend in the Commonwealth.

Actually, in order for the game to develop.. patches should be released when ready... this is an alpha and people have to get used to that.

bring it on mate :)

I'd rather you waited til Monday. Weekends don't need patches.

It's Queen Victoria weekend in the Commonwealth.

Yeah you sure are fun...

sweet

it's alpha, so patches need testing as soon as available, (stability withstandin)

will it updatable by 6updater when it goes live?

Is there no way to throttle the amount of users who are capable of loading at once? What if you just pulled one server online at a time?

Take as much time as you need man. I've never seen a game with so many updates in so little time. It's great that your working so hard on this awesome game. But don't forget the hookers and coke, you need to put some time aside for them.

Is there no way to throttle the amount of users who are capable of loading at once? What if you just pulled one server online at a time?

What would happen is as he brought each server on at once, each one would be DDos'ed back off line from the 1000+ people trying to connect to each one.

I'd love to see an early changelog too, however it may get people too excited, thus making it harder to roll out the patch due to a new peak of numbers, haha.

I'd love to see an early changelog too' date=' however it may get people too excited, thus making it harder to roll out the patch due to a new peak of numbers, haha.

[/quote']

I think this post plus the 'waiting for server response' being fixed is enough to excite people :)

you could roll it out to servers in batches, bringing up 3-7 servers at a time or whatever would be the best.

Thanks for the update rocket. Looking forward to the patch. Hope the zed numbers stay the same as currently though.

Here is a quick suggestion:

If you are going to be an active dev, as you are, you need to have a definite "Patch Day".

Tuesday in the AM CST is usually the best time, as most major devs have noticed and taken advantage of.

FACT: Most people who actually RUN the servers visit the forums, and if not, their superiors do.

Inform them to build a schedule, bringing up 1 or two of their servers every 15-20 minutes AFTER patch time on patch day.

IE:

Patch is at 5:45AM cst on any given tuesday

Dallas 1-3 come online at 6:00AM cst

Dallas 4-6 come online at 6:20AM cst

Dallas 7-9 come online at 6:40AM cst

Etc etc

If you NEED the load on the servers to be lower, this is imperative. Work with the server hosts. Get emails etc. If they have the spirit/knowhow/will to run a server for a game you are developing, work with them.

I believe this is a solid idea. Any constructive ideas to improve it? PLEASE say so.

What you guys don't seem to get is that even rolling out the patch for 3 servers will create a huge strain. Rocket has mentioned that people trying to hammer their way into full servers has a lot to do with the "waiting for server response" issues, imagine what would happen if only a handful of servers had the new patch that everyone wants to check out? They would get wrecked.

Well, I'd assume that probably less than 40% of the current players(or probably even less) would be even quick enough to get the patch as soon as its available. More likely they would come onto the forums or whatever and be like "why cant i join the game???????????"

I'd wager on that. Most people aren't quite that keen and most of the players(who are probably new) don't read the forums and may not even know a patch is coming.

Well' date=' I'd assume that probably less than 40% of the current players(or probably even less) would be even quick enough to get the patch as soon as its available. More likely they would come onto the forums or whatever and be like "why cant i join the game???????????"

I'd wager on that. Most people aren't quite that keen and most of the players(who are probably new) don't read the forums and may not even know a patch is coming.

[/quote']

No offense but you are incredibly naive. This is the web 2.0 era, a good portion of these players are watching the Dayzmoddev twitter on their smart phones or tablets or second monitors refreshing to find out when it drops. The Bandit system removal thread is almost 40 pages in a day because people are chomping at the bit for the new patch, lootable skins, all the goods.