rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Suggestion:

1. Service maintenance window announcement in IRC/Twitter/RSS/Forum/Website.

2. Send return receipt requested emails to all known server leasers and leasees announcing maintenance window requirements. Ask for a return receipt response and for them to idle in a separate private irc channel.

3. Shutdown all servers.

4. Only allow access to main database to those server leasers/leasees who are idling in irc channel. Rollout 5 servers at a time, decreasing the intervals by 5 minutes until you find the fault tolerance.

5. When that rollout is complete, start rolling out 5 servers at a time every at (fault tolerance + 5 minutes) speed.

6. Have a beer.

Require leasees and leasers to sign up for a gamesurge.net account, and force them to authenticate to GS servers in the future to prevent spoofers.

U can turn on servers one by one' date=' problem solved.

[/quote']

And then they will each get DDOSed and crash one by one.

Can people please read the previous posts before talking rubbish like this as though it's that simple?

Why don't we stop the useless suggestion wave and just let rocket do it the way he feels best? :)

This.

I know everyone's anxious, but... Yeah.

I don't see why ppl should stop with their suggestions. If ppl wanna post here, let them. I really doubt rocket reads every single post, and even if he does it's not like he's going to break down start crying and go "if only all these suggestions weren't here! WUEEHHHHH"

Then remember when 1.5.8 will be released don't insta-join :D

That's like saying "remember not to use all of it when I get some of it back home" to a hungry crack addict :D

I don't really understand what the difference is between today, and two Fridays ago. Did the user count really jump that high in a little over a week? Is rocket worried that the main HIVE database will crash, or that every individual server will crash?

If it's the individual servers, I don't see what the deal is... they restart all the time to fix the "waiting for server response issue". If it's the HIVE database, then I can understand.

There is a very, vehehehery fine line between good-intentioned criticism and outright complaining in ignorance.

90% of the people have some very good-intentioned criticism leveled at the Alpha. Some is misguided and not applicable, but good-intentioned and somewhat thought out most of the time.

The other 10% are just complaining selfishly without realizing that this is an Alpha, and they aren't in control of development.

That being said, a sizable portion of so-called "forum presences" or "constructive posters" mistake the large swath of good-intentioned criticism as complaining. Which is unfortunate, as polite responses and educated debate would serve the community far more than brash typical internet trash talk.

Obviously, those who can't simply wait... or demand things from the development team, rather than suggest them aren't doing any good either. But, I just ask that those take each post a bit less like it's a personal attack or ignorant view, and prudentially sort them out rather than just going off knee-jerk reactions.

Enjoy seeing what 1.5.8 has in store!

I think a lot of people are posting suggestions here with very little knowledge.

People can post all the suggestions that they want but really, at the end of the day, they are extremely likely to not know enough of the situation to come up with something better than the team who are working on the game. Some of them seem so pedantic that I wonderif the posters question the intelligence of the people running the show.

I think a lot of people are posting suggestions here with very little knowledge.

People can post all the suggestions that they want but really' date=' at the end of the day, they are extremely likely to not know enough of the situation to come up with something better than the team who are working on the game. Some of them seem so pedantic that I wonderif the posters question the intelligence of the people running the show.

[/quote']

Indeed, you are correct in that most people don't understand the full implications of their suggestions.

However, it doesn't mean they should be derided, just directed in a different direction so that they can then go on and make a better suggestion that is more wholesome.

This is where I take issue with the reactions of so-called "constructive posters", who react in the same ignorant manner as the original posters that they take issue with. Except in this case, whereby the OP usually has good... but misguided intentions behind their suggestion... the person replying is just being and idiot for idiot's sake. Rather than directing the OP elsewhere to make a more informed decision.

But, such is the interwebz.

Thing is that there are many media options to monitor the situation and all of them are available over TCP.

There is no point in being nice about it.

A server flood will happen but its what you learn about it.

(there's no such thing as a politically correct stress test, someone is going to get screwed)

Admin message per server: GTFO! were updating and go get the new patch "here", updates on twitter "here"! (then start your performance counters on the client servers and master sql box's), kill the instances, update fast, get a guaranteed metric on line (say 1K slots) open the gates and watch what happens.

If a message is broadcast to 5K users and 3K of them don't try to update there's nothing to be done about it bar an IQ test.

If 10K people hit one server and the master DB only records 2K transact requests we have an architectural problem and there's something to be learned.

If we have 50K requests and gamespy falls over we just know ...well, gamespy is shit.

sounds like scheduled maintenance is something this mod should consider being that it's gaining in popularity so fast. Dice doesnt do many things right with bf3 these dayz but i think their server maintenance windows are handled perfectly.

They don't have the system in place to do a scheduled maintenance, it poses the same problems as a random rollout does. Really they need to remotely lock all the servers THEN patch, and then bring them all back up locked.

The issue is that once the maintenance is over' date=' people will get in all at once, making some (most?) server crash.

[/quote']

Then it sounds like maybe Bohemia should donate some sql servers to the cause to help distribute the load and help facilitate the support mass survivors joining servers after an update.

The issue is that once the maintenance is over' date=' people will get in all at once, making some (most?) server crash.

[/quote']

Then it sounds like maybe Bohemia should donate some sql servers to the cause to help distribute the load and help facilitate the support mass survivors joining servers after an update.

I've sent them an email about a week ago explaining that i can help with offering another database-box, that is if they ever even get back with what spec's they'd be looking at as well as bandwidth.

They probably have offers, Im sure, but it'd be neat if they replied back.

In response to post #190

Bohemia has to be careful just how much they step in or this becomes a commercial product really fast. Then Pepsi and Coke are gonna be calling asap, if you know what I mean.

how is this mod at ALL Bohemia's problem? Rocket may work for them, but this mod appears to be pretty independent of them...

Maybe YOU should donate some SQL servers to the cause...

Does everyone have to start over when the patch hits? i want to play right now but i dont feel like losing all my progress

Id say shut down all servers. Update the game. Only a few servers updated at a time thus forcing people not to over log.

I'm sure they appreciate all of you network experts telling them how to update the mod they know and understand better than anyone else, including you. Please stop telling them how to handle their business and have a few days of patience. They know this system far better than any of you could ever imagine and probably laugh at the naivety of your suggestions.

In response to post #190

Bohemia has to be careful just how much they step in or this becomes a commercial product really fast. Then Pepsi and Coke are gonna be calling asap' date=' if you know what I mean.

[/quote']

dont forgot heinze beans!! haha