rocket

Timing of Patch 1.5.8

Id say shut down all servers. Update the game. Only a few servers updated at a time thus forcing people not to over log.

That is exact the way it would work, but then playes would not get into the game fast enough. And as 99.99999999999999% of the gamers are totaly dumb and think that they deserve it more to get in before everyone else, the shitstorm in forums, twitter, fb and stuff would be legendary.

But to be honest, i do not see any other easy way to do it. Not without putting some decent time of work into a new/better/ddos-save login/database-request code. But the decicion is up to rocket and he does what he thinks is the best and thats his right to do so. Only thing that i would ask for: a bit more information about the status.

how is this mod at ALL Bohemia's problem? Rocket may work for them' date=' but this mod appears to be pretty independent of them...

Maybe YOU should donate some SQL servers to the cause...

[/quote']

Considering the game uptake Bohemia has seen from the mod they're probably having problems deciding whether to burn him at the steak or set an altar to him.

SQL is not the problem. Seriously.

A semi decent SQL machine can deal with 200K transacts per second given reasonable scaling. (Small business scale, a bigger job will chew through over 1 million select/writes easy)

When you get right down to it, 50K users for an enterprise transact system is literally nothing, the CPU's will be almost idle if you've built it correctly.

I'm sure they appreciate all of you network experts telling them how to update the mod they know and understand better than anyone else' date=' including you. Please stop telling them how to handle their business and have a few days of patience. They know this system far better than any of you could ever imagine and probably laugh at the naivety of your suggestions.

[/quote']

This type of attitude is also a problem. I'm sorry, but if game developers in general were all knowing, then there wouldn't be shitty games... with shitty problems (Day Z is far from this, so don't misconstrue my example).

I'm sorry to say, players do sometimes contribute better ideas on how to solve problems than developers do. Hence when developers listen to players, they tend to get a better result... both in community support an actual game mechanics. People dislike games because they're not the games that THEY want them to be.

For instance, I loved CoD with a passion until it became a game that I didn't want it to be. Due to idiotic (in my view) choices on the part of developers who simply made bad calls. Point being, game developers can ALWAYS benefit from competing ideas generated from the community. It's up to THEM to decide whether or not to go with them, not you, or anyone else. That is where the authority lays in developers, they have choice... we can only broaden the scope of that choice.

Rocket and the people at Day Z are great, and more than capable. But players who actually know what they're talking about (And often those that don't, but still share the same good intention) just want to help make things run smoothly, what's wrong with that? The people offering suggestions aren't being impatient, they're trying to facilitate things for the developers by offering a multitude of ideas to choose from.

Thanks Rocket!! This game is fantastic. I really enjoy it. I believe this is a very revolutionary game for the gaming industry, even in alpha. Thanks again for all you and your teams hard work. Can't wait to see what this game holds in the future. :)

I'm still working on it.

Unfortunately' date=' the lull in peak time never happened. And I had forecast that the usual lull would be started now. That isn't happening. So we will try and figure out a way to roll out the patch but it is complicated.

There are so many people playing (over 6500) that if we auto-update the servers the reconnect load caused by everyone coming back on within the same period could, well, crash everything. We don't know if it is possible to handle such load, and I don't really want to try.

So we're coming up with another plan. But it will be within the next six hours assuming that testing has gone okay.

[/quote']

How about locking the servers (only for updates) for a short period of time and put the password in the server description so everyone can join. Would this allow the servers to be updated w/o the crashing effect when players reconnect?

How about locking the servers (only for updates) for a short period of time and put the password in the server description so everyone can join.

What is the sense of the password, when it is part of the server description? Everyone can read it and use it, what makes them as having no password at all. Sorry to say it that way: that is a stupid idea.

The only way would be to lock or shut down all servers, patch the servers and releasing the client files and then unlock or start the servers one after the other. That would result in a storm at the servers, but as the master-server is only responding after the players are on the server (and not when trying to get on the server) the master-server has a controllable load to handle. And the servers them self are "save" due to the respond time of the serverbrowser. Set back: it will take some time until all servers are back up or unlocked and a lot of players will have to wait until they find a slot on a server.

There's no problem here. Patch released, servers updated, the rest of the people will just have to figure it out. Rocket may have been waiting for a 'lull', but he's not gonna sit there wringing his hands because he has to release an update when people are playing. Relax. : P

Why not try an MMO server approach?

Like post a direct message (you know the big white letters in the center of the screen one) to everyone that update will happen in X time to warn people and then simply turn off all servers to update' date=' give it some time so people won't just jump back in at once and turn them back on.

[/quote']

That's not gonna work bro. After the update everyone is gonna DDOS the servers.

They will give up sooner or later, go do some real world stuff, maybe eat, get some sun etc. and eventually the servers will be back up.

I think Rocket should take down all the servers for 24 hours so the people who never played Arma / Arma 2 can go learn the controls ;)

BEST

SUGGESTION

EVER!!!

:D

There's no problem here. Patch released' date=' servers updated, the rest of the people will just have to figure it out.[/quote']

I think you have no idea what will happen to the master-server/database, if more than 6000 players at a time will try to connect the servers at the same time after having patched ... That is a problem ... a big one ... the master-server/database will simply crash and there is a reasonable chance that data will get corrupted what can result in players loosing all.

There's no problem here. Patch released' date=' servers updated, the rest of the people will just have to figure it out.[/quote']

I think you have no idea what will happen to the master-server/database, if more than 6000 players at a time will try to connect the servers at the same time after having patched ... That is a problem ... a big one ... the master-server/database will simply crash and there is a reasonable chance that data will get corrupted what can result in players loosing all.

I'm sure they appreciate all of you network experts telling them how to update the mod they know and understand better than anyone else' date=' including you. Please stop telling them how to handle their business and have a few days of patience. They know this system far better than any of you could ever imagine and probably laugh at the naivety of your suggestions.

[/quote']

This type of attitude is also a problem. I'm sorry, but if game developers in general were all knowing, then there wouldn't be shitty games... with shitty problems (Day Z is far from this, so don't misconstrue my example).

I'm sorry to say, players do sometimes contribute better ideas on how to solve problems than developers do. Hence when developers listen to players, they tend to get a better result... both in community support an actual game mechanics. People dislike games because they're not the games that THEY want them to be.

For instance, I loved CoD with a passion until it became a game that I didn't want it to be. Due to idiotic (in my view) choices on the part of developers who simply made bad calls. Point being, game developers can ALWAYS benefit from competing ideas generated from the community. It's up to THEM to decide whether or not to go with them, not you, or anyone else. That is where the authority lays in developers, they have choice... we can only broaden the scope of that choice.

Rocket and the people at Day Z are great, and more than capable. But players who actually know what they're talking about (And often those that don't, but still share the same good intention) just want to help make things run smoothly, what's wrong with that? The people offering suggestions aren't being impatient, they're trying to facilitate things for the developers by offering a multitude of ideas to choose from.

What it looks like to me, these suggestions from users?

IS IT PLUGGED IN??

L

I think you have no idea what will happen to the master-server/database' date=' if more than 6000 players at a time will try to connect the servers at the same time after having patched ... That is a problem ... a big one ... the master-server/database will simply crash and there is a reasonable chance that data will get corrupted what can result in players loosing all.

[/quote']

How ironic: you clearly have no idea about the high-load characteristics of a modern database system. Even if it's ridiculously underprovisioned, the worst-case scenario is slow response times; crashes, let alone dataloss, do not happen as a result of load. Even a hard shutdown shouldn't be able to cause dataloss in a database of PostgreSQL or MySQL calibre.

I think this should be stickied and locked. I highly doubt anyone here has even worked for a company that had a major game release that strained there servers to the point of breaking.

I say everyone lets rocket do his thing, and keep our opinions to ourselves. He didn't ask for Ideas, he is simply stating that this is a complicated scenario and needs to be worked out before release.

Can servers run earlier versions of DayZ? I'm pretty sure I ran into some 1.5.6 servers after 1.5.7 came out, and I could play on them. Then all it would require is some 1.5.7 servers to be shut down, updated, then turned on. This would only cause a rush of players to join that one server that updates, while everyone on the not updated servers plays an older version of the game, not knowing there's even an update yet.

Then do other servers one by one or in small bunches. I don't know very much about networking or server managing at all, so I'm probably missing some things. I'm assuming the main server doesn't need the update and just holds character information, so that could be wrong.

Hope things work out though, this is an amazing mod and I don't want to see it falter.

I think this should be stickied and locked. I highly doubt anyone here has even worked for a company that had a major game release that strained there servers to the point of breaking.

I say everyone lets rocket do his thing' date=' and keep our opinions to ourselves. He didn't ask for Ideas, he is simply stating that this is a complicated scenario and needs to be worked out before release.

[/quote']

It's only ignorance that makes you assume that, gamers come from ALL backgrounds, I'm sure there are more than a few people here who know their way around servers and coding, it's simply stupid to assume that just because YOU know nothing about it then nobody else must either.

I'm sure Rocket is doing the best he can but you need to get his nuts out of your mouth, either he'll read a thread like this and take something from it or he'll just ignore it and it won't bother him at all... why turn it into some stupid hero worship bullshit? Any suggestions are better than no suggestions.

He's a big boy, I'm pretty sure he's not going to be offended by people offering advice (even if some of it IS stupid).

I say everyone lets rocket do his thing' date=' and keep our opinions to ourselves. He didn't ask for Ideas, he is simply stating that this is a complicated scenario and needs to be worked out before release.

[/quote']

It's only ignorance that makes you assume that, gamers come from ALL backgrounds, I'm sure there are more than a few people here who know their way around servers and coding, it's simply stupid to assume that just because YOU know nothing about it then nobody else must either.

I'm sure Rocket is doing the best he can but you need to get his nuts out of your mouth, either he'll read a thread like this and take something from it or he'll just ignore it and it won't bother him at all... why turn it into some stupid hero worship bullshit? Any suggestions are better than no suggestions.

He's a big boy, I'm pretty sure he's not going to be offended by people offering advice (even if some of it IS stupid).

In addition to the fact that I agree with the person that you are degrading, the name calling is useless and excessive. Downvoted.

[/quote']

YARRGGHH! STOP TRYING TO BE HELPFUL OR MAKE SUGGESTIONS!

Rocket himself said the idea for the companion dogs came from a random viewer on a DayZ stream, so community suggestions are clearly looked at, and sometimes acknowledged and appreciated, sometimes not, but the devs seem capable of being discerning without your e-protection. I understand you're trying to gain brownie points by white knighting on the forum, but maybe you should try doing that in ways other than insulting the community and speaking for the devs, k sweetheart?

Hey guys,

Just a friendly reminder to say; try and keep a level head when posting. I can feel this thread starting to get a little more hostile (only slightly) as people's frustration starts to thicken.

Remember (as much of an asshole I may sound saying this), the mod is just that, a mod. You didn't pay for it, thus you haven't really helped (apart from some great feedback) support the development at all. We as a community have no right to be angry or upset that an anticipated update isn't quite out yet. And of course, remember the Alpha fact, meaning different things will be trialled through development, which includes patching and server loads, etc. Not just the mod itself.

I know everyone is excited, but just be nice to each other while you wait and be patient. After all, it's not like the servers are all down for maintenance, so you can still be enjoying what brought you here.

Rocket and team - keep up the good work. Take your time and good luck. The community ultimately backs you 100%.

Cheers.

You didn't pay for it' date=' thus you haven't really helped (apart from some great feedback) support the development at all.

[/quote']

Key phrase here for a lot of the hostile posters today, "apart from some great feedback".

Jord, I don't think many people are mad that Rocket hasn't launched the new patch yet. I personally haven't seen a single post that states that. Everyone here understands this process, we're just excited for the patch, and our excitement translates to forum posts as feverish anticipation.

The hostilities are coming in when people are telling others to stop posting ideas and suggestions on an Alpha mod's forum, because apparently every time someone posts on the Dayzmod forum, Rocket loses five minutes of development... or something.

I really have no idea why people get so annoyed and frustrated by others having ideas, solutions, or suggestions. I'll never understand how people get mad about things that happen in threads they didn't even create. Forums are an opt-in method of communication. You have to make a decision to open a thread, to read people's posts, and ultimately, to rage yourself out because you're a sour-puss over other people trying to help something they really enjoy or love.

It really makes the people posting in frustration or anger about other people suggesting things look extremely petty and foolish.

[/quote']

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you are wrong. Though I myself don't know much about the topic, I know people who do and they are all shaking their heads at how some things are being handled. I'm not saying the devs aren't doing what they know how and what they think works the best at the moment, but it is simply ignorant to say that they are the pinnacle of knowledge on the subject just because they are using X system for the mod. I don't mean this as an attack on you personally just the way of thinking displayed in your post, there is always someone more knowledgeable on a subject.

If only Rocket had more time so he could hear out some of the people who possibly have more knowledge and experience than the people currently on the team, he might find things could be going smoother.

@Rocket, keep at it.

Hey guys' date='

Just a friendly reminder to say; try and keep a level head when posting. I can feel this thread starting to get a little more hostile (only slightly) as people's frustration starts to thicken.

Remember (as much of an asshole I may sound saying this), the mod is just that, a mod. You didn't pay for it, thus you haven't really helped (apart from some great feedback) support the development at all. We as a community have no right to be angry or upset that an anticipated update isn't quite out yet. And of course, remember the Alpha fact, meaning different things will be trialled through development, which includes patching and server loads, etc. Not just the mod itself.

I know everyone is excited, but just be nice to each other while you wait and be patient. After all, it's not like the servers are all down for maintenance, so you can still be enjoying what brought you here.

Rocket and team - keep up the good work. Take your time and good luck. The community ultimately backs you 100%.

Cheers.

[/quote']

The only reason i bought arma 2 was for this mod, even tho no money went to you guys, indirectly; i bought it.

Hey guys' date='

Cheers.

[/quote']

The only reason i bought arma 2 was for this mod, even tho no money went to you guys, indirectly; i bought it.

No, you bought ArmA 2 that happens to have a FREE modification that happens to be ridiculously awesome! :)