THEGordonFreeman

The Awesome Vehicle Thread

There's also another way - cheaper way for the owners. If the game will not be updated later on then they could just release all locks on it - including source code. Community will fix this game and make it better. It will be just like "Jagged Alliance 2". Community took it over and created version 1.13. Basically a new game with so many options its difficult to count them. And it's just an example - there are a lot more games like that - carried by common people and not for money but as a hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nemorus said:

There's also another way - cheaper way for the owners. If the game will not be updated later on then they could just release all locks on it - including source code. Community will fix this game and make it better. It will be just like "Jagged Alliance 2". Community took it over and created version 1.13. Basically a new game with so many options its difficult to count them. And it's just an example - there are a lot more games like that - carried by common people and not for money but as a hobby.

Maybe in 30 years, this is the same company selling Arma 3 20 years later, they still support it, DLC is still being made for it, but it's definitely aged now and it's days are waning.

I don't know how in the world they survived, but you got lucky this one time.

38 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

I don't know how in the world they survived, but you got lucky this one time.

The times the harry potter event is triggered by desync you are only seeing this client side, on the server the car was idling under that bridge the whole time - usually other players nearby or even in the car can confirm that - so the only damage that can happen is redlining the engine because the last input registered from the player was full throttle. If you manage to shut the engine off sync will snap back.

When the vehicle simulation goes bonkers because of overload of the server or whatever, the server is actually bashing the car left and right and into the sky, and people will die...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The part that is frustrating for me is that I know that DayZ Alpha helped to fund the Enfusion engine but now we wait, with an incomplete game, and no updates from the 'engine team' ever.  That's where we're at, right?  Waiting for the engine team to figure it out because the Enfusion engine is the future for Bohemia Interactive.   Can somebody link the latest public update announcement for the Enfusion engine?

OR, just tell us that work on the engine has stopped and that's it.  Give us bad news if that's the truth.  We can handle these first world problems.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

11 minutes ago, Parazight said:

The part that is frustrating for me is that I know that DayZ Alpha helped to fund the Enfusion engine but now we wait, with an incomplete game, and no updates from the 'engine team' ever.  That's where we're at, right?  Waiting for the engine team to figure it out because the Enfusion engine is the future for Bohemia Interactive.   Can somebody link the latest public update announcement for the Enfusion engine?

OR, just tell us that work on the engine has stopped and that's it.  Give us bad news if that's the truth.  We can handle these first world problems.

DayZ only got a fork of the new Enfusion engine. It was supposed to get all of it, but midway through development, unbeknownst to the Dev Team at the time, the Enfusion team was pulled off of DayZ to work on another project. DayZ in 2021 is a mix of the new and old engine. 

That info came from a former Dev on the subreddit a while back, and I am simplifying it a bit but based on that alone, and the massively reduced development team, DayZ is very clearly no longer a priority for BI, and hasn't been for a while.

Overall point is this; if there is any news to share about existing work and upgrades to the Enfusion engine, the DayZ team and the DayZ forums are not going to be the place where this information is shared and trying to get it here is barking up the wrong tree. It's very likely that the DayZ team is not even privy to this info, or more likely, not allowed to share any news or updates about work happening on Enfusion (or any other project) within BI that they are not directly involved in. I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't take the DayZ team's silence on Enfusion to be any indicator, good or bad, about the status of the engine. It's not just simply not their wheelhouse. 

• Like 3
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, thepoey said:

I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't take the DayZ team's silence on Enfusion to be any indicator, good or bad, about the status of the engine. It's not just simply not their wheelhouse. 

We're all speculating.  It's easy to understand why BI abandoned DayZ.  They made their money, but more importantly, Tencent bought a minor stake in BI, and thus, YLands gets all the dev love and is now sold in China.  I wonder how much they are going to water down their titles from now on since they can sell to the Chinese market now.  This is one reason why so many think DayZ will just languish as an unfinished game.  Sure, they call it finished, but reality says otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

What is still beyond me is, why they don't move cars to client side? Yes, server side offers "protection" against hackers, but seeing how little of them are there,  and how many times cars flip out, it's much more rational to move them to client side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Caused said:

What is still beyond me is, why they don't move cars to client side? Yes, server side offers "protection" against hackers, but seeing how little of them are there,  and how many times cars flip out, it's much more rational to move them to client side.

That would be great, but if memory serves, one of the devs answered that with a "it's not that simple anymore" non-answer.   The real answer is they don't have a good anti-cheat to take care of it and official servers are not monitored like community servers.  I wonder if they will ever bring up the subject of "sanity checks" again.... lol.

Edited by THEGordonFreeman
  • Beans 2

2 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

We're all speculating.  It's easy to understand why BI abandoned DayZ.  They made their money, but more importantly, Tencent bought a minor stake in BI, and thus, YLands gets all the dev love and is now sold in China.  I wonder how much they are going to water down their titles from now on since they can sell to the Chinese market now.  This is one reason why so many think DayZ will just languish as an unfinished game.  Sure, they call it finished, but reality says otherwise.

I don't think the Tencent thing is really part of it; a minor stake isn't going to push the direction of the entire company and push a game like DayZ to the backburner. DayZ just doesn't make the company money anymore. 

I think it has more to do with Ylands offering microtransactions. It probably makes more money in a month than the total single purchases DayZ yields in a year. Same with Vigor. BI sees DayZ as a one time, single source of revenue, with continually diminishing returns. Games like Vigor and Ylands are constant revenue streams, so they get all of the attention.  

5 minutes ago, thepoey said:

I don't think the Tencent thing is really part of it; a minor stake isn't going to push the direction of the entire company and push a game like DayZ to the backburner. DayZ just doesn't make the company money anymore. 

I think it has more to do with Ylands offering microtransactions. It probably makes more money in a month than the total single purchases DayZ yields in a year. Same with Vigor. BI sees DayZ as a one time, single source of revenue, with continually diminishing returns. Games like Vigor and Ylands are constant revenue streams, so they get all of the attention.  

Tencent is a big part of it.  No one plays Ylands in the USA.  Vigor isn't offered by steam, I don't know if it's in the Chinese market, but Ylands is offered there.  I noted the timing of discussions, and that seems very close to when BI made the decision to let DayZ just go into sleep mode.  In the end, no matter what the "reasoning" is, BI abandoned DayZ for the most part.   All it means is we shouldn't trust them.  I mean, there's no way in way hell, I will invest one dime into Arma 4 based on how they treated DayZ.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:06 AM, maxon-69 said:

Yes, I completely forgot - why did the developers make the cars so high-speed - 160 km / h on the Niva (ada) ?? Seriously. I would limit all cars to a speed of 90 km / h (with slow acceleration) and also so that the gearbox breaks down and the 4th gearbox speed often breaks. These measures could reduce the number of flights into outer space many times over.

They are all given real life power and gearing. According to pro-tips on DayZ Xbox subreddit they should be limited to 60 km/h if you want to be properly safe.

And yet there are people who care about this program. And yet it's a game with unique environment and solutions. It's a game worth investing into. With history and potential - unlike failures such as "Ylands" or "Vigor". Money isn't everything - many AAA productions proved that, by dying on a market.

ps. oh, vehicles... Oh well.

Edited by nemorus

I definitely care about this game.  I really don't understand how console players do, though.  They are in a horrible hell when it comes to vehicles... prime example.....

I admit, driving a car on the rocks is not smart, but driving a car anywhere in DayZ is just another way to suicide... we have to have options, right?

I'm really glad to see this thread was created and is getting attention and discussion going.

I've got 1.6k hours in Dayz and I have over 2k hours in Arma 3. I used to love Exile mod and vehicles were a huge part of the game.

It's disappointing to see the dev post early on down play how bad vehicles are in the game. They run terribly and this can occur even when servers are low pop.  I've played on plenty of community servers, different maps and vehicles suffer the same issues everywhere. This is an incredibly common issue and for this reason I rarely drive them, especially during high pop times. In a game that is so brutal to start with it is incredibly infuriating to die and lose hours or even days worth of progress due to bug that has been present in the game since vehicles were first introduced.

I for the most part play on servers that use QOL mods like no vehicle damage. If I was playing vanilla I would never use vehicles because of how frequently they glitch out.

One thing I cannot wrap my head around is how they had them working so well in Arma 3 and Dayz they are completely broken. 

Edited by Caatalyst
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Caatalyst said:

One thing I cannot wrap my head around is how they had them working so well in Arma 3 and Dayz they are completely broken. 

In Arma 3, vehicles were client authority, in DayZ, they made them server authority to keep hackers from messing with them.   Basically, they took a sledgehammer to the problem and now here we are, vehicles that barely and rarely work.

But hey!  No hacking cars!   They just use ESP and kill everyone on the server with a bullet to the brain.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

No flying party bus... Hence schadenfreude islands were almost forgotten.

Predictable and borderline condescending response from the Dev`s. 

Dayz is probably my favourite game`s of all time but for a long time now Its just too frustrating to play, painful, So I check in every few updates only to see the same response from the Dev`s and the same frustration in the community. Time immemorial - it will not change.

The ridiculous elephant in the room that BI just doesn't want to devote resources to yet at the same time its making a few quid here and there so just keep it alive, patronise the community by throwing in a new shovel every now and then, just enough to not call it abandoned and repeat. 

Really is a shame. So much so that if they said we will fix it by X but we need investment I'd likely buy yet another DLC as I love the game that much but given their current track record.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dwardo Rodregez said:

Really is a shame. So much so that if they said we will fix it by X but we need investment I'd likely buy yet another DLC as I love the game that much but given their current track record.. 

It's to the point that I feel like the community is being taken advantage of.... What I mean is that it was evident from the start that the community would put in a ton of resources to overcome many of the problems the game actually suffers from.  Vehicle physics is one thing that I don't believe the community can fix without source code access, but they knew the community would be putting in effort to making the game fresh and new.  Offering a new DLC would be a complete slap in the face.  I mean, Livonia was the worst money grab I have ever seen, from Bohemia anyway.  It's a fun map, but by no means a  great one, it has always felt incomplete to me, kinda like Esseker is at the moment. But I am confident Esseker WILL GET FINISHED.  And if I get that itch to run for 20 minutes through the forest to find one little place to loot, I would take Esseker over Livonia any day of the week.

No DLC until cars are fixed!

It's older, but still another perfect example of the state of cars today......

• Sad 1

I wonder if Bohemia can attract moderators to bad cars and just ask them to fix it and provide them with a code to solve this problem?

is there a way to recreate the flying cars in single player? i try single player and car is ok and responsive (I assume because the server load is tiny with 1 player). tried to make it fly only trouble I could notice is the car seems to get "spongey" or "sticky" (like I am driving in the glue pot at school) around the barricades in downtown elecktro and then I died doing 50kmph in an Olga down the road from Tisy(hit a bump and everything went black). do the car lag-flying issues also show up for airplanes? was wondering if the cropduster yellow prop plane has trouble or if a boat has trouble since I wonder if these are simpler cases to simulate since airplane isn't continually colliding with the ground when it is flying and a boat's buoyant interaction with water maybe is simpler than a car with 4 wheels & springs(not even sure how many springs car has haha).

15 minutes ago, david4460 said:

is there a way to recreate the flying cars in single player? ).

I can't even replicate it on normal multiplayer servers. I've driven loads of cars and have yet to see one fly. The worst I've had is the screen freeze  briefly and lagging, occasionally spinning off the road. I'm not saying it doesn't happen of course. It just hasn't ever happened to me. 

• Thanks 1

So that cars cannot fly, it is necessary to make a train that will ride on rails. Obviously

Edited by maxon-69

Desync between the client and the server is a large part of the problem.  I was playing  on a server last night and attempted to walk into a storage container where someone had trapped a zombie.  I opened a door, backed out walked around and the server "THOUGHT" I was inside the container adn the zombie just beat the shit out of me, meanwhile I am cursing like hell outside the container getting my ass kicked by nothing.

Cars are server authority and if the server hardware sucks or even a few people on or you bubble into a large base and your character has to receive all of the items in that base, you will lag or desync and you are screwed in some fashion.

Sometimes if the vehicle is spawned in on top of other debris, it will auto jump when you get in it and start.   My experience has always been very rarely to find a vehicle that is stable.