Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jex

State of the Game?

196 posts in this topic

Hi,

It's been over a year since I played DayZ or even kept up with the forums, dev notes etc. The last time I played, about 6 months ago I stepped off a 3 foot high rock and died. Yesterday I got in and lost my axe because I had a stick on my back for chopping a tree down, something unfixed in a year or more I suppose.

Where is the game going now?

Have they got the animals in and coded properly?

The zombies seem to be dumber and there's hardly any around so what's going on with them?

What about the survival elements have they been improved upon?

What new stuff has been added in the last year and a half?

 

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There has not been very much done in really visible things in the game. The main reason is the engine, not the engine you know, no the reason is the new engine. Instead of now to write a lot, I take it very briefly: we still play the old DayZ, in the background the real DayZ.

My tip to you if you do not want to read everything: wait until the end of year and keep your ears and eyes open for something called Patch 0.63. If this is online, come back and get a new picture of DayZ.

Believe me, you will be amazed, and you will forget the frustration of the old bugs. (Sure there will be bugs, but it will be different).

Edited by Sqeezorz
Brain errors :)
Arthur Dubrovka gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patch .063? So the release date is set for 2030? Bit disappointed with Bis tbh as they raked in a ton of cash over the mod, so much so they increased the price of Arma 2 and this is how they repay the community and their fanbase by this ridiculous pace of progression?

By the end of the year I may have uninstalled the game. I would never recommend anyone to buy it now. I was going to buy Take On Mars but it's the same story there. Unfinished rubbish.

BIS are seriously going downhill :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jex said:

 

1.: Patch .063? So the release date is set for 2030? 

Where did u get that "information" from?

2.: By the end of the year I may have uninstalled the game.

It might be the best thing to do with a game u dont like!

3.: BIS are seriously going downhill :(

Thats what u think because of your "knowledge"?

B.t.w.: Nice constructive Topic!

odin_lowe gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goateswyn said:

1.: Patch .063? So the release date is set for 2030? 

Where did u get that "information" from?

2.: By the end of the year I may have uninstalled the game.

It might be the best thing to do with a game u dont like!

3.: BIS are seriously going downhill :(

Thats what u think because of your "knowledge"?

B.t.w.: Nice constructive Topic!

1) Obviously you don't understand sarcasm.

2) Where did I say I didn't like the game? The development time is atrocious!

3) I gave 2 examples of unfinshed buggy games. 1 of those examples is selling as a release version. I hold BIS to a higher standard because they're a better dev company. You seem to accept any old rubbish thrown at you.

If you can't recognise these things why are you posting here? I'm not sure how you can't see the issues but I have to wait 7 months before I'm going to see improvments?

That's unreasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging by the 3 people posting on the forums here, I'd reason that other people find it unnacceptable too.,

Mantasisg gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jex said:

Judging by the 3 people posting on the forums here, I'd reason that other people find it unnacceptable too.,

Mate, if you find the development unacceptable you can always leave. I mean there is nothing you can do to change it so you might as well play something else and come back when the game is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent StatusReport brought quite a lot of hope for me. 

I wish forum was a little more alive too lol

Jex gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, OliverPlotTwist said:

Mate, if you find the development unacceptable you can always leave. I mean there is nothing you can do to change it so you might as well play something else and come back when the game is finished.

Aah I see so I should just shut up then and go away? That's your answer? Just shut up and uninstall the game who cares if you have to wait another decade?

With attitudes like yours, yes, there's nothing that we can do to change it.

 

Benavides, igor-vk and waffen gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jex said:

Aah I see so I should just shut up then and go away? That's your answer? Just shut up and uninstall the game who cares if you have to wait another decade?

With attitudes like yours, yes, there's nothing that we can do to change it.

 

Okay tell us exactly what you think the devs need to change and I'll explain to you why it can not be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, OliverPlotTwist said:

Okay tell us exactly what you think the devs need to change and I'll explain to you why it can not be.

They were a year and a half late on the new graphics engine. It seems not much has changed since then either. Given the fact that BIS made a huge ton of money from the MOD and then again from the SA, what's taking so long? How about moving things along a little faster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jex said:

They were a year and a half late on the new graphics engine. It seems not much has changed since then either. Given the fact that BIS made a huge ton of money from the MOD and then again from the SA, what's taking so long? How about moving things along a little faster?

Believe it or not, they are going as fast as they can... Making a whole new engine takes time. I think this quote from the devs sums it up best:

"[The devs have] maintain and develop basically two versions of the game side by side - obsolete one for public to play in the meantime, and a new one for us developers to make the game as good as possible - one that you, players, would enjoy later."

Basically, right now we have a shit second hand version of DayZ while we wait for the devs to finish the so-called 'DayZ 2.0'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Jex said:

Patch .063? So the release date is set for 2030? Bit disappointed with Bis tbh as they raked in a ton of cash over the mod, so much so they increased the price of Arma 2 and this is how they repay the community and their fanbase by this ridiculous pace of progression? Unfinished rubbish.

It's not unfinished if it's still in development. Read the status reports.

I'm not sure why it's so incredibly hard for people to comprehend that if the game is going to be in early access, the development is obviously going to be slower than normal.

 

edit: About that zombie remark, based on what you said, it seems pretty obvious to me that you haven't actually played 0.61.

Edited by Exorade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

moving things a little faster. that's funny So you want them to half ass everything so you can have new content. I would rather them do it right take the time to make sure it's correct than rush it because people are complaining. you know what rushing out the gate and half assed ideas get you? H1z1 and I'll be damned if that happens to dayz. I'm glad the devs ignore the fools.

odin_lowe gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how moving things along faster means anything other than quit taking so long. This excuse for the slow pace was fine 2 years ago, now it's becoming a joke. I can point to a host of games made by ONE developer to show just how slow things are advancing. Keep throwing out the old "they need to take their time" - no, what they need to do is take some of the millions they made and invest it into the game.

The fact that I have to wait 8 months for another update is ridiculous. Like I said, the release date is set for 2030 is it? By that time gaming will have moved on and DayZ will have no players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jex said:

 I can point to a host of games made by ONE developer to show just how slow things are advancing.

Oh, please do.

odin_lowe gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hmm. Yes they have a long time, they really needed a long time. I deal, professionally, with controls of packaging machines. Controls There are many models ... and each control has a different "language" each has strengthen and weaken.

Let's see it at DayZ. They have changed to a 'different' control, they have optimized and modified it to meet the requirements of their expectations. They have developed a new "control language" ... and that sounds much easier than it is, because: all who have to work with it, these people have to learn and understand this language. And that takes time .... and nerves. Oh yes the manuals and tutorials that once the modders get, have also been made .. all things no one has seen.

And HI :)

Irish. gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The long-lasting debate about the pace of development for this game has actually become totally irrelevant. Both opposing factions seem to forget that, with dwindling player numbers and the novelty factor just a distant memory, does it really matter when the final version of this game will be ready?

Do you really think that thousands of new and former players will "swarm" back to the game once it's completed? Very unlikely. DayZ has become and will remain a niche game for a niche community. And that's great for the hard core survivalists and the dedicated long time players who will faithfully stick around until the end of time, but not having a much bigger player base for this game is a missed opportunity.

Paradoxically, the only thing that might breathe new life and interest into this game is the console version of it. Yes, I know many PC players cringe in pain just at the thought but a DayZ success on XB1 and PS4 could potentially bring many new players to the PC too. But considering the more "casual" gaming nature of console players, I doubt that DayZ in its current and future direction of development as a "survival simulator" will appeal to them in the long run.

Regards

 

 

Jex gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lexman61 said:

Do you really think that thousands of new and former players will "swarm" back to the game once it's completed? Very unlikely. DayZ has become and will remain a niche game for a niche community. And that's great for the hard core survivalists and the dedicated long time players who will faithfully stick around until the end of time, but not having a much bigger player base for this game is a missed opportunity.

This was always intended as a niche game.

If you want the most players possible you don't make a complex survival game with perma death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, niche game with almost instant 3mil sales soon after realease 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

Yeah, niche game with almost instant 3mil sales soon after realease

Not their fault people don't know what they spend their money on.
I am glad they did though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Present player count numbers speak for themselves: http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

The initial success is, unfortunately, a distant memory that won't come back no matter when this game will eventually be "finished" or what new features they add.

 

 

 

 

 

Jex gave beans to this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be happy but that in your RL everything is ok. Is so, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0