Sign in to follow this  
WolverineZ

End goal of the game? "PvP fiesta" or "gritty survival game"?

3 minutes ago, GunRunner said:

As everybody has been saying, it is really up to the individual player/groups to determine how they want to handle the situations they are put in. As the game progresses, Infected and wildlife will become more and more prevelant and will factor into what you do. Just look at the teaser video for wildlife that was released a few status reports ago. By simply taking a shot at a deer, the player was mauled by a pack of wolves. The same will go for the infected in larger cities. The Devs plan on introducing more and more Environmental threats into the game, and as they do the playstyles in the game will change over time.

As far as the game in its current state, yes... it is primarily PvP. Cherno/Electro are known to be the worst areas for this so most people who aren't LOOKING for a confrontation know to avoid or spend as little time as possible in and around those areas. But even still, as you move more inland the weapons get more powerful so the threat increases. Most times, if two seperate parties cross paths it wont end with a friendly encounter.

Take my video on this thread for example:

Sure, I posted the title as a "3-man Squad Wipe" but as they were approaching it wasn't my intention to kill them outright. Originally I had pulled my guys out and were going to allow the approaching group to enter the base. I was hoping they would enter a building and we could come up behind and pin them inside. Unfortunately, they spotted our guest that met up with our group and I had to make the quick decision on whether to turn and run or to engage them. If I had turned and ran, there is no telling if they would have let us go, shot us in the back, or followed us until we were vulnerable. In order to ensure my group remained safe, we had to remove the threat. And that is exactly what we did, but even still we attempted to restrain and heal the last remaining unconscious player. Unfortunately he chose to respawn while unconscious rather than allowing us to let him live.

^THAT, my friend, is what DayZ is all about to me. The choices you have to make when your back is up against the wall.

That's an awesome Walking Dead type of encounter. Kudos man for taking a stand and protecting your own. Again, I'm not against the PvP aspect, but just wanted to know how everyone else felt with the latest trend of "Let's go to Cherno to shoot some bambis". I'm glad that there'll be predator wolves and bears to contend with. I hope one day we'll get to ride horses.

4 hours ago, WolverineZ said:

Yes, exactly my thoughts. I worry about the fragmentation of the community where there'll be mods of mods (look what happened to the original DayZ Mod). And then you might get a situation where if a group gets vocal enough then the Dev Team might have to bow to "their" expectations, while not taking into consideration what's good for the entire community. I expect other players as a threat, as they might shoot me for my own supplies, but I love the aspect where another player really has to think things through by determining do they waste that precious bullet on me, or do they try to negotiate with me for a possible trade, or to make a truce when looting a town? I love this game, and I definitely don't want to see the community fragmented into different camps. Hopefully we'll get a better picture of things to come once .60 hits Stable. :)

See that's why we need zombies and lots of them.  Lacking any other threat, I always have bullets to spare for unwary travelers.  (What else do I have to use them for?).  A game where you have to spend 3 hours just to find a gun and a handful of bullets isn't really fun.  Plus, in the spirit of The Walking Dead and George A Romaro films DayZ borrows heavily from, guns and ammo were never exactly in short supply.  The plot was always driven by the fact that there were always more zombies than bullets and you needed other people to survive.

What was more interesting to me in the Mod was giving a perfect stranger a weapon because you were about to get overwhelmed by zombies.

I like PvP as much as the next guy, but think about it like this.  Playing on a server without anyone else (or so few people you'll never see them), should be as fun and challenging as playing on a full server.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bfisher said:

See that's why we need zombies and lots of them.  Lacking any other threat, I always have bullets to spare for unwary travelers.  (What else do I have to use them for?).  A game where you have to spend 3 hours just to find a gun and a handful of bullets isn't really fun.  Plus, in the spirit of The Walking Dead and George A Romaro films DayZ borrows heavily from, guns and ammo were never exactly in short supply.  The plot was always driven by the fact that there were always more zombies than bullets and you needed other people to survive.

What was more interesting to me in the Mod was giving a perfect stranger a weapon because you were about to get overwhelmed by zombies.

I like PvP as much as the next guy, but think about it like this.  Playing on a server without anyone else (or so few people you'll never see them), should be as fun and challenging as playing on a full server.

Amen brother. I can't wait for wolves, or illnesses, or hordes of Infected becoming the real deal. And of course other players will factor in as well, but they risk of being overrun by the Infected or by wolves. And yeah, I finally found a mag for my Makarov after an hour of searching. Like, I get how police stations have them, but why is it that every police station I visited only had pants, stun batons, handcuffs, or police hats?

6 hours ago, Rags! said:

snipped

Got to 1:21 (and had to stop) where it shows the person wall peaking, is that you?

So, guy who KoS's complains in experimental thread that he got KoS'd.... check.

Guy who complains about wall peaking, in multiple threads plays on 3PP/wall peaks.... check.

Where's my fucking Picard facepalm emoji.

Spoiler

TXZydWg.jpg

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Got to 1:21 (and had to stop) where it shows the person wall peaking, is that you?

Guy who complains about wall peaking, in multiple threads plays on 3PP/wall peaks.... check.

Hidden Content

Awww, come on.  When in Rome...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Hidden Content

Well, if my friends are playing on a 3PP server and I want to play with my friends...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WolverineZ said:

Amen brother. I can't wait for wolves, or illnesses, or hordes of Infected becoming the real deal. And of course other players will factor in as well, but they risk of being overrun by the Infected or by wolves. 

Judging by last few status reports, this will be last thing we get in game. If we ever get hordes. 

Hmm. This "topic" has been covered many times. 

Easy answer is : game's not finished yet.

As far as "lately I've seen many PVP ans shootouts around Berezino, Elektro, name your town" it's always been like that. Before the Stand Alone came out, I used to play the DayZ mod for ArmA2, and unless you played on a restricted private server that had good admin overwatch, it was exactly like it is today on the public hive.

The game will start to play differently when it's passed Beta, as the AI for infected and animals will get polished and enhanced.

As far as right now, I'm 90% of the time on private hive servers like the DayZ Colony servers, DayZ Underground, WOBO, Gents of Novo or the -UN- servers, so it's very interesting in terms of player interactions. Of course you get shot at every once in awhile, or encounter crazy fellas, but that's just DayZ for you. 

Personally, I just have 1725 hours in-game, so I have much to learn, but I tend to fix myself objectives. Like getting specific clothes/outfits, finding and using only a specific weapon, reaching a location and surviving there with simply what the environment can provide. (farming, animals, fishing) 

But that's just me. 

I'm looking forward to see how firefights and "pvp" turn out when wolves, bears and infected come swarming and mess up with the players! ;)

Take care fellas. Respect.

• Like 3

Completely agree with rags, great vid btw.

If I could add a point or two to what you said, I would still argue that spawns need to be completely random, like ive been rambling on about in another thread. Once you're fully geared and there is nothing to do, the only thing left is to go to a spawn town and play TDM. If you couldn't predict where all the bambi's spawn and player encounters happened everywhere on the map, it would remove the finality of being completely geared and make end game an ongoing experience.

Also I really hope to see zombies in large numbers/ hordes, spawning everywhere and not just big cities, and to also become a very real threat to players, better that they are to difficult than to easy. Once you know how to use a bandage and experience your first bout of food poisoning/sickness, its impossible to die from anything that isnt a bullet. The struggle needs to be more real.

Edited by Salty seadog
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nl said:

The game will most likely become a platform that the community can tweak to its liking, more or less like the original mod I guess.

BI has decided this WILL happen.

AND The problem here is easy to spot - look at the DayZ Mods right now... you can find any mix and style that suits you BUT no players

All those mods together add up to a tiny core of a few dedicated players - about as well-known and popular as a local steam-locomotive appreciation club = It might be Great (if that's really you bag) but there's hardly anyone ever there.
Give me a breakdown by mod of numbers of players, average and peak - can you do that?

All that remains of those mods is a rare from-time-to-time special-event bring-your-own-sandwiches meet.
DayZ the Mod has gone, vanished, it is not in the charts, it's never mentioned in public, in gaming terms it is Nowhere.. And that happened because of opening the original mod up to modding. That is when and WHY the game collapsed. Mods and private servers were intended to be more fun, and deal with hackers, and give you the play you wanted - and now those servers are gone or empty.

Sure - you can find a game version that Exactly Suits You - your perfect dream - and if you are very lucky you can even find another 7 or even 15 people worldwide who play that same game, if you can catch them online.

BI are inexperienced with mass-popularity games.
Look at the life cycle of any 'big name' popular game from a recognized publisher - the modding phase comes at the end of the life-cycle. In fact modding is the end-phase by definition. BI have already decided when this will happen - meaning they have already decided when to shut down DayZ SA.
After that, anyone can have any endgame and anything else they want, but they won't be sharing their minority gameplay with ex-StandAlone AAA game players.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

AND The problem here is easy to spot - look at the DayZ Mods right now... you can find any mix and style that suits you BUT no players

All those mods together add up to a tiny core of a few dedicated players - about as well-known and popular as a local steam-locomotive appreciation club = It might be Great (if that's really you bag) but there's hardly anyone ever there.
Give me a breakdown by mod of numbers of players, average and peak - can you do that?

All that remains of those mods is a rare from-time-to-time special-event bring-your-own-sandwiches meet.
DayZ the Mod has gone, vanished, it is not in the charts, it's never mentioned in public, in gaming terms it is Nowhere.. And that happened because of opening the original mod up to modding. That is when and WHY the game collapsed. Mods and private servers were intended to be more fun, and deal with hackers, and give you the play you wanted - and now those servers are gone or empty.

Sure - you can find a game version that Exactly Suits You - your perfect dream - and if you are very lucky you can even find another 7 or even 15 people worldwide who play that same game, if you can catch them online.

Look at the life cycle of any 'big name' popular game from a recognized publisher - the modding phase comes at the end of the life-cycle. In fact modding is the end-phase by definition. BI have already decided when this will happen - meaning they have already decided when to shut down DayZ SA.
After that, anyone can have any endgame and anything else they want, but they won't be sharing their minority gameplay with ex-StandAlone AAA game players.

well this depends... if DayZ has enough to offer... and people can make their server more interesting... people will pop-by regardless.. I've been in a community in the mod.. we had our own server *public* before de SA... we modded our server... how many people on? 40-45 each night.. after SA we closed our server, because the community split up.. so the funds dried up.. other than that.. our mod files are still stored somewhere on a computer.. and we're going to implement them into SA again.. as soon as we're allowed.. 
making mods is dependent on WHAT mods you make... I mean if you're a loot horny person... making 10 extra military camps on the server so you can hord loot from 15 different high value places.. that becomes boring really quickly.. 

we've had camp mods on the server.. we flew across the server with a map on 2nd screen.. looking for places that didn't have anything (just green fields in the middle of nowhere without cities within 2-3 miles) 
then mark those areas and mod a small 'camp' there like that summer camp near GM we all know that right? those kinds of things..

before svetlojarsk was a big ass city.. we modded a shed/tripod and a campfire there.. you could light.. and fish (fun fact the shed actually spawned a zombie xD) 

long story short... if you make several 'small camps' on places where normally nobody goes (edge of the map) and you find a prebuild camp/some houses there.. OF the grid.. instead of a  '10 civilian tents' camp..
that triggers your exploration sensation.. 'WOW there's a camp here with a train cart/campfire and some rubbish..' that would make a good 'off the grid' stash site..

• Like 3

Thats cool, but Chernarus+  is filled with camps and urban areas. What we need is dynamic events. Like crashed planes, crashed trains, something big. And maybe crashed C-130 hidden somewhere in woods that we can use as shelter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

..//.. Tigermonk ..//..  if DayZ has enough to offer  //

Nice comment - but yours would have to be a private server in the SA structure, even if you ran it as open to all comers.
So when private servers start to mod as they like - what happens to the public servers?
The Public servers are supported by the SPs as we know, not by BI (some folk call them "official" servers here in SA)
That's not the way it was under DayZ Mod, when there were no "public" servers.

So do you expect the public server system to be dropped completely?  BI has already mentioned  (just a little half-comment) that the public server system will "change" when modding comes in.
Does this mean the SPs will go on funding the public servers (standard vanilla DayZ SA) out of their own pockets?

Or will DayZ go 100% private? Then only private sever owners, if they want to, will run the vanilla game?  Either open to all players or not, as they like?

Edited by pilgrim*

58 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

Thats cool, but Chernarus+  is filled with camps and urban areas. What we need is dynamic events. Like crashed planes, crashed trains, something big. And maybe crashed C-130 hidden somewhere in woods that we can use as shelter.

dynamic events.. spells pure chaos because dynamic things 'move' so its's probably static you're after.. and 'camps' in dayZ SA... nope not like we had.. (we build woodbury city from twd (looked like it.. complete with wall around it) if you flew over it or came close to it.. you'd hear the governor's voice: WELCOME to woodburry! scares the living daylight out of you first time :P great fun.

but dynamic events such as crashed planes/trains? I'll see if I can find the pictures... you'll get an idea of what we had.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/76561197995969095/screenshots/

53 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Nice comment - but yours would have to be a private server in the SA structure, even if you ran it as open to all comers.
So when private servers start to mod as they like - what happens to the public servers?
The Public servers are supported by the SPs as we know, not by BI (some folk call them "official" servers here in SA)

So do you expect the public server system to be dropped completely?  BI has already mentioned on the forum (just a little half-comment) that the public server system will "change" when modding comes in.
Does this mean the SPs will go on funding the public servers (standard vanilla DayZ SA) out of their own pockets?

Or will DayZ go 100% private? Then only private sever owners, if they want to, will run the vanilla game?  Either open to all players or not, as they like?

what happens to the public servers?

^ well you're answering your own question right here.. 'public KoS' servers will probably fade out.. and more private servers will be added... banding people that want to actually PLAY dayZ instead of 'Call of DayZ'
on private servers... 
so server hopping for gear is no longer an issue/
cheating by combat logging/relogging on another server, move to get advantage/rejoining combat is NO longer an issue.. and the servers.. well if BI cares about its clients.. they'll figure something out with valve or something to keep their servers running.. otherwise there will be enough options of big server providers to supply server spaces/slots as long as demand is high enough for them.. 

that wouldn't be the problem either.. the public server will be for players that enjoy KoS style playing.. (since thats what most publics do) and the people that enjoy more interaction/RP style gaming.. will join private servers (this is already the case: DAYZ RP/Falcon RP/Saga RP/freedom RP)

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1

Im really not sure why ppl are still trying to be heavily invested in this game. Just delete it and move on to other things. There are much much better survival games atm. Otherwise its just taking up unnecessary space on your computer. Come back when the big update hits. If its still not good enough just delete it again and move on till some one gets the damn game concept right.

7 hours ago, igor-vk said:

Judging by last few status reports, this will be last thing we get in game. If we ever get hordes. 

I thought for sure the developers said they would be working on the game long after the big .60 patch hits? That means content and other things. If not thats quite unfortunate and an honest turn off from me wanting to play.

5 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Im not looking forward to modding ether Pilgrim. The core concept of the game is what the developers need to finish and get right before passing it off to anyone else. Why leave it up the modders to fix what shouldn't have been an issue in the first place?

• Like 1

Personally, I am just waiting for the offline version. Other players bring absolutely nothing of interest to this game for me.

I can't wait to sit down and play true PVE where it is extremely difficult to stay alive whilst facing zombies, ai bandits and wild animals whilst gearing up and building a base camp. Plus you can rely upon true perpetual enabled action on just your own PC.

Edited by Camaban
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

what happens to the public servers?
...//.. the public server will be for players that enjoy KoS style playing.
...//..

But there perhaps wont BE any public servers.

What I meant was - Why should the SPs go on funding public servers at all?  Why would they pay money out of their own pockets for that?  BI don't pay to run public servers. Will BI pay in the future?
Why should the SPs offer you free fun on the servers they pay for?

So we might foresee that modding will result in NO public servers, the SPs will shut them down. There would only be private servers.

OK - you see the difference if the WHOLE of DayZ SA runs on private servers ? 
Will the SPs pay to keep public servers open?  No 
Maybe the SPs are big fans of vanilla DayZ and they want the mass of public fans to play for free at the SP's expense ?    No

Each private server decides who plays, and each private server decides what game mod they play.
So there will be NO standard Vanilla DayZ anymore, except if some owner somewhere wants to run vanilla DayZ privately.
And that means BI will NOT keep the public hive available any more - of course -  because all private servers (vanilla or not) run on a private Shard, not on the public hive.

So the public hive shuts down
All you have is private servers with any kinds of mods on them
To me that is the end of the AAA game.
Worldwide you are left with a few hundred we-are-serious gamers on their private servers, plus some mega-loadout-LOL players on their private servers
And nothing else.
Then one by one those shut down too. This is what happens, right?

So when modding comes fully online, the SPs will shut down their public servers (they own them). With private severs "all-modded" the public servers are the only place the real AAA DayZ game can stay alive.

Edited by pilgrim*
edited to make clear 1 simple point

18 hours ago, igor-vk said:

I think they are pleasing all popular streamers and youtubers. 

This thought has crossed my mind as well, since their "community scram", which took place with basically the DayZ PvP Streamers. The development ever since has basically consolidated this focus so far, PvE has not been seen since early 0.55 :(

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bfisher said:

A game where you have to spend 3 hours just to find a gun and a handful of bullets isn't really fun

Don't generalise. No gun would mean melee suddenly becomes interesting again .. my char finds a book on hunting, crafts arrows and thus can be a silent hunter. So many possibilities. Having a gun should be cool again - I dont want my only worry to be whether to take the AK74, AKM or better go for the FAL and steyr in my tent. All of course with loads of ammo.

Nothing against guns, but I want melee action again, I want an improved melee system, where skill matters. Currently melee is pointless, since even your pet rabbit has three guns.

If it takes you three hours to find good weapon, you will appreciate your life much more. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

We've been over this ad nauseum.  BI will have to ensure "official public serves" or new players who buy the game will have nowhere to start; and cheap American bastards like myself will have no "Manifest Destiny" to realize.  It has been conveyed to me that there *will* be official public servers for 1.0 release; and less specifically, I got the impression that BI *might* be directly overseeing these servers to ensure their viability for persistent  basebuilding activity.

I shared all of this with you directly when my pertinent question was answered.  GWIZ  Thanks @SMoss.

6 hours ago, Camaban said:

Personally, I am just waiting for the offline version. Other players bring absolutely nothing of interest to this game for me.

I can't wait to sit down and play true PVE where it is extremely difficult to stay alive whilst facing zombies, ai bandits and wild animals whilst gearing up and building a base camp. Plus you can rely upon true perpetual enabled action on just your own PC.

I'm afraid you will have to learn to mod and code your own AI, as BI has specifically stated, many times, that uninfected AI are absolutely not on their to-do list.