thedoctorlome1

The horror aspect of Dayz

I know that there was another topic like this, but it turned into 3rd person vs 1st person. So what i'm asking is what would you like to see come into the game or be changed that would increase the horror aspect of the game? 

3 hours ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

I've never played a good horror game.  Most rely on jump scares and awful flashlights. 

true but I think there are ways that the devs could utilize night time, zombies, and other things to add the horror aspect to the game.

This game don't need no jumpscares or cheep tricks...

It's scary enough when you're looting a building and hear footsteps or some other sound related to human activity.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IkaikaKekai said:

This game don't need no jumpscares or cheep tricks...

It's scary enough when you're looting a building and hear footsteps or some other sound related to human activity.

I remember my first time. Balota ATC, middle of the night. Inside looting and i hear someone walking outside. Sent chills through my spine. I logged out. 

Day Z is already plenty frightening/"scary", it is just a more....... "mature" form of horror than what many people expect from the genre. We don't "need" any more, at least in my opinion, at least not gorn and jump-scares.

Think about the whole "Day Z experience" from your characters point-of-view: You are one of the only survivors of a disease that has, to your best knowledge, completely wiped out human civilization on the planet. No more police, no more EMT, no more firefighters. Hell, no more electricity, no more running water, no more anything, unless you make it yourself.

-The cities: While South Zagoria was canonically a very rural, poor and underdeveloped part of Chernarus, there were still at least a couple of tens of thousands of people living there. Now, there is, what, 50? Next time you play, sit still in the middle of a town/city, and listen. What do you hear?

Nothing. Nothing, asides from the creak of old fences and assorted rip-rap swinging in the breeze. In a settlement that once hummed to the sound of cars, voices, sounds of life, now there is nothing.

"Once, 50,000 people lived here, now it is a ghost town", ring any bells?

-The "zombies": sure, from the perspective of the players, the "zombies" are really shitty, and actually rather amusing (I find their derpiness rather hilarious), but think about it from the characters perspective. The "zombies" were once their family, their friends, that friendly mailman, that cute guy/girl you used to flirt with at the corner store. Now, due to the disease, they are gone replaced by animalistic abominations that seek only to murder you. You might have had to kill family members or friends in order to survive as long as you have, you got to watch as they killed other people by beating them to death. 

And, because the players are canonically immune to the "infection", you got to watch them sicken and "die". Listen as they begged for help, maybe even mercy-killed them to spare them any pain. Maybe you even had to fight them off when they "reanimated". The in-game characters likely have a roaring case of PTSD, on top of whatever they got by living through a violent Civil War (ARMA II is canon in Day Z).

-The players: So, you are one of a very select group: "the immune", you can't catch the "disease" that killed your friends and family. Does this mean you are going to band together with the other survivors and work with each other to survive?

Not fucking likely. Apparently, 99.999% of the survivors are absolute sociopaths, and seek to kill you whenever they find you, for seemingly no reason other than shits and giggles. The tie you up, force feed you shit (in the hopes of some demented individuals, maybe literally), and execute you FOR FUN. Even worse are the players who act like they are friendly, only to betray you at the worst possible time, laughing all the way. There are poor souls who, broken by the weight of the post-apocalyptic world, run around and fist-fight any survivors they find, screaming high-pitched demented gibberish all the time, in effort to find someone to ease their pain. Others......find other ways out, jumping from high buildings en-masse, or stabbing themselves in the street.

Fuck, Day Z is terrifying.

• Like 4

Jesus.....There is literally no better way to put it than that. Well said.

6 minutes ago, Zimorak said:

Jesus.....There is literally no better way to put it than that. Well said.

And yet there are members of this forum that think the game "needs" more gore, things like dismemberment, etc, in order to actually be frightening.

2 minutes ago, Whyherro123 said:

And yet there are members of this forum that think the game "needs" more gore, things like dismemberment, etc, in order to actually be frightening.

A little too far there with dismemberment. i may have agreed to that at an earlier date, however looking at it now, it just seems like it would add unneeded sadistic features to the game.

2 hours ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

I've never played a good horror game.  Most rely on jump scares and awful flashlights. 

Ever play State of Decay: Breakdown, on level 5+?  Plenty of horror there from the sheer amount of zombies after you, coupled with the stamina system.  I think DayZ can more than deliver a similar horror element once stamina is in and infected numbers can be increased.  Dynamic respawn working properly could put severe strains on a player who is unprepared for killing most immediate threats while trying to make a quiet retreat.  I don't think much more will be needed, besides number of infected, and limits to your sprint.  Surpressors will become lifesaving tools.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Day Z is already plenty frightening/"scary", it is just a more....... "mature" form of horror than what many people expect from the genre. We don't "need" any more, at least in my opinion, at least not gorn and jump-scares.

Fuck, Day Z is terrifying.

Its all good in theory. But...all that needs a lot of tweeking. Weather is always sunny and birds chirp and its all like walk in park on sunday afternoon. Nights should be darker and lighting improved. Its lighter in buildings than outside. Zombies/infected are terible and more comical than scary with their funny walk and low damage and overall stupidity (I wish they would bang on doors and eventually break them). They need more impruvements. Map is beatifull, especially new towns u north. I played dayz mod recently and I remember more trash on roads, more wrecked cars, tanks, BMPs and trucks everywhere, especially in military locations. 

Picture this, you are alone in a server at Gorka at night and just started playing DayZ and are still learning the game. You are going to meet up with someone there and he logs in and another person logs in as well. Suddenly you see a person running and ask "is that you?" and get the response "I'm almost at Gorka" and ask "So that isn't you IN Gorka?". Yeah, what are the chances, right? Then the server restarts, you log-in again and go prone immediately. Yeah... where is he? Meanwhile the person you were meeting is near you and suddenly you hear shots "He got me". He didn't know I was there so it was just waiting for him to loot the body and bam he was dead.

So yeah, enough horror in the game. Each time you meet a player in a small town or in the fields is an horror.

• Like 1

Something like what an old version of dayz had..

a randomly appearing, scary as hell, crap-in-the-pants inducing death monster.

Something like this:

24-evil-dead-2-dead-by-dawn-1987.jpg

...or they could just somehow make zombies actually scary. Either or. 

The games a crock of shit atm in terms of being an actual horror game

There is literally nothing scary at this point. Play down jump scares if you want but they have purpose and meaning. I cant really see this game even remotely being based on anything horror related until the system is fully overhauled and we start to see more things that were promised earlier on in development come to fruition.

You only get scared of actual players so many times before that shit becomes mundane as fuck.

18 hours ago, lrishjake said:

Something like what an old version of dayz had..

a randomly appearing, scary as hell, crap-in-the-pants inducing death monster.

Something like this:

24-evil-dead-2-dead-by-dawn-1987.jpg

...or they could just somehow make zombies actually scary. Either or. 

The only way i can see this ever happening is with the inclusion of Bloodsuckers or other mutations that can actually intelligently hunting you down.

maxresdefault.jpg

Unless they decide to allow zombies to climb structures to get to you again. Or become more intelligent in general and never run out of stamina.

• Like 1

I dont see where server hopping becomes horror? Its the worst feature ever added, and it wasn't intended.

Also knowing ahead someone can log in, brings fear that i better loot up just in case someone logs in.

so then server hopping becomes a way of life in dayz. Intention of the devs or not, it has become a way of life in dayz. Its not scary, it has no purpose, and it doesn't involve anything to do with the concept of the game.

So again, if infected are to become the most important part of Dayz, it is not. The most important part of dayz is server hoping and logging off to catch someone that is looting the area you are in.

something doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2016 at 3:24 AM, IMT said:

Picture this, you are alone in a server at Gorka at night and just started playing DayZ and are still learning the game. You are going to meet up with someone there and he logs in and another person logs in as well. Suddenly you see a person running and ask "is that you?" and get the response "I'm almost at Gorka" and ask "So that isn't you IN Gorka?". Yeah, what are the chances, right? Then the server restarts, you log-in again and go prone immediately. Yeah... where is he? Meanwhile the person you were meeting is near you and suddenly you hear shots "He got me". He didn't know I was there so it was just waiting for him to loot the body and bam he was dead.

So yeah, enough horror in the game. Each time you meet a player in a small town or in the fields is an horror.

Horror of KOS? Horror of logging in, and see someone that might KOS you?

all of it sounds like fear of server hopping, fear of logging off and in and finding someone around you.

Many would say KOS is not apart of the game, i respectfully say that KOS is a huge part of this game. It needs to be in place, if you want to add more fear.

Edited by sneakydude

Of course KoS is crucial.. every server needs a Negan. Who says KoS is not a part of the game? That's insane. I agree it infuriates me and I hate it and have never done it myself, but it is definitely needed for proper atmosphere. 

10 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Horror of KOS? Horror of logging in, and see someone that might KOS you?

all of it sounds like fear of server hopping, fear of logging off and in and finding someone around you.

Many would say KOS is not apart of the game, i respectfully say that KOS is a huge part of this game. It needs to be in place, if you want to add more fear.

That's what I call horror. Never experienced that you were just minding your own and suddenly you hear a crack from a bullet. Your heartbeat rises, your adrenaline rises, blood starts pumping, your temperature goes up a bit, that is horror in my opinion. ;)

And yes, kill on sight is part of the game. The intention of the developers is to design the game in such a way that everyone can play how they like. Some playstyles will suit others, some won't. That makes DayZ such an awesome game!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Konfucious K said:

Of course KoS is crucial.. every server needs a Negan. Who says KoS is not a part of the game? That's insane. I agree it infuriates me and I hate it and have never done it myself, but it is definitely needed for proper atmosphere. 

Not saying i will agree or disagree with your statement, but many in the forums do not like KOS or want any aspect of it. You know this without naming names. But the point being KOS gives that fear factor like snakes do for some people... you need it but a handful will shrug it off, ill fight them.

Now your last statement, proper atmosphere. What does that mean exactly? The time of day? the weather?

Still on topic fear factor = horror...

Night time, should be still a good time to add more fear into the player. However it can be over used too much because it annoys you after awhile. You want daylight from time to time.

3 minutes ago, IMT said:

That's what I call horror. Never experienced that you were just minding your own and suddenly you hear a crack from a bullet. Your heartbeat rises, your adrenaline rises, blood starts pumping, your temperature goes up a bit, that is horror in my opinion. ;)

And yes, kill on sight is part of the game. The intention of the developers is to design the game in such a way that everyone can play how they like. Some playstyles will suit others, some won't. That makes DayZ such an awesome game!

I expected you to say that, that is why i asked. "Your heartbeat rises, your adrenaline rises, blood starts pumping, your temperature goes up a bit, that is horror in my opinion. ;)" is the truth behind it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Not saying i will agree or disagree with your statement, but many in the forums do not like KOS or want any aspect of it. You know this without naming names. But the point being KOS gives that fear factor like snakes do for some people... you need it but a handful will shrug it off, ill fight them.

Now your last statement, proper atmosphere. What does that mean exactly? The time of day? the weather?

Still on topic fear factor = horror...

Night time, should be still a good time to add more fear into the player. However it can be over used too much because it annoys you after awhile. You want daylight from time to time.

I genuinely know of no one from the top of my head that wants KoS eradicated. There is many that gripe and complain about it, myself included but deep down know that it is essential to the atmosphere. 

Atmosphere, in this case used as a noun to express; 

7) the dominant mood or emotional tone of a work of art, as of a play or novel:

e.g. the chilly atmosphere of a ghost story.

At least we're together on fighting the no-KoS crowd, point me to them when you see them. :)

• Like 1

K i misread your post, i got what you where saying but read it like you need proper atmosphere for it to happen... sorry.

• Like 1

Adding in infected + Adding in KOS + environment can heighten the fear factor.

Should we add in Intelligent infected that climb up walls to the second story, and smash the windows to get to you?

I think adding in props such as an infected dead body falling out of a cabinet should be added, or the random dead body in chairs that falls on the ground in front of you. It will scare you a tad.

or even a random infected sitting upstairs of the 3rd floor hovering over something.

This way your forced to run, or forced to fight. How you do it is up to you. Gun shots could bring more to your central location. Doors closed so one or so many climb the walls to get into the building. The rest ponder whats all this about DUH!

Oh and please dont bring in exploding infected, man that's the worst, and i have seen it in a few games. Its like adding in stupid to the word stupid.

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Adding in infected + Adding in KOS + environment can heighten the fear factor.

Should we add in Intelligent infected that climb up walls to the second story, and smash the windows to get to you?

I think adding in props such as an infected dead body falling out of a cabinet should be added, or the random dead body in chairs that falls on the ground in front of you. It will scare you a tad.

or even a random infected sitting upstairs of the 3rd floor hovering over something.

This way your forced to run, or forced to fight. How you do it is up to you. Gun shots could bring more to your central location. Doors closed so one or so many climb the walls to get into the building. The rest ponder whats all this about DUH!

Oh and please dont bring in exploding infected, man that's the worst, and i have seen it in a few games. Its like adding in stupid to the word stupid.

Oh I like this, I always felt that infected should be roaming the halls and be stuck under beds. Jump scares galore on top of being extra cautious about opening rooms in a building. Looting a town would become far more challenging, scary and realistic this way. Light should also attract them at night.

The climbing walls I would enjoy if it was restricted to a degree. Maybe they can climb fences if already chasing and other ladder-like things but to pile all over each other would be a bit much if you are a solo player, perhaps make it a dynamic/horde event rather than a spontaneously player-generated thing but also not sure how far the engine could achieve all this too.

KoS/the chance to be murdered is a great layer of tension but it should be a truly tiny chance among the many possibilities.

7 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Adding in infected + Adding in chance for KOS + environment can heighten the fear factor.

Fixed that for you.

KoS should never be ubiquitous once the game gets harder and harder.

Speaking of scary.

Waking up to the mod infected scooping your guts out was scary.

1 minute ago, Konfucious K said:

infected should be roaming the halls and be stuck under beds. Jump scares galore

Infected already enter buildings regularly now and you will see more and more in buildings as infected populations rise.

No fucking jump scare bullshit, please. Save that for Fatal Frame, or Silent Hill, or something else.

We would all learn where the infected jump from in short order and the effect would be minimal over time, as well as giving us a chance to just pick the infected off from under the bed it's "stuck" under.

• Like 3