boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.59 Discussion

1 hour ago, Arduras said:

The main difference I'd like to see is being able to hold 1 stack of sticks or arrows in the "bow" (Realistically the hand holding the bow) that we can reload from. I'm not sure if this was originally the case but currently I need to drag each arrow from my inventory individually. Add to the frustration the fact you can't move at all with the bow drawn so you can't ready a shot for an expected encounter - leaving you a sitting duck. It's vastly inferior and I'd like to see those improvements. Also, it's supposed to be stealthy so why the loud whistle every time you fire an arrow? The twang is fine but arrows don't necessarily whistle and when/if they do it's certainly not like someone putting two fingers in their mouth and going hard at it.

It used to "load" arrows in sets of five. As for mechanics:

A) Obviously, the current method of using the improvised bow in combat is not ideal. It is -functional- but we have a good ways to go with it until we're happy. Most of that is either A) Going to be affected by upcoming changes to the animation system, and player controller and B) Going to come in beta, when our focus shifts from primarily feature development, to bug fixing. In short, in the end - we most definitely want bow combat to be both viable, and rewarding.

The problem I have is that I don't think "bow combat" should be truly "viable". The improvised bow should be okay for short-range hunting and ambushing people within 25 yards or so (given the construction that's generous).

However, it's still going to be easier and far more effective to just grab a gun than messing around with the bow. I doubt they'll make firearms very difficult to obtain, without changing that they have two options: "useless" bows or unrealistic bows that turn the player into Legolas or Robin Hood.

Just in case anyone forgot

Q1 2015

Basic vehicles  (WE STILL HAVE BASIC VEHICLES)

Advanced loot distribution    (IF YOU SAY SO)

New renderer     (CHOKES ON COFFEE)

New Zombie AI   (STILL DOES NOT WORK)

Basic stealth system (zombies and animals)   

Diseases

Q2 2015

Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)     (UM NO)

Advanced animals (life cycle, group behavior)    (SEE ABOVE)

Player statistics

New UI      (PISH)

Player stamina

Dynamic events

Q3 2015

Traps

Barricading      (WE CAN LOCK A DOOR)

Character life span + soft skills      (UM NO)

Animal predators + birds        (UM NO)

Aerial transport     (WOW CANT GET CARS TO WORK)

Console prototype    (THIS IS PROB WHERE ALL THE TIME AND CASH HAS BEEN GOING IMO)

Q4 2015

Animal companions    (UM NO)

Steam community integration    (NOPE)

Construction (base building)     (NOPE)

BETA version     (JUST PEED LAUGHING)

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

It used to "load" arrows in sets of five. As for mechanics:

A) Obviously, the current method of using the improvised bow in combat is not ideal. It is -functional- but we have a good ways to go with it until we're happy. Most of that is either A) Going to be affected by upcoming changes to the animation system, and player controller and B) Going to come in beta, when our focus shifts from primarily feature development, to bug fixing. In short, in the end - we most definitely want bow combat to be both viable, and rewarding.

The problem I have is that I don't think "bow combat" should be truly "viable". The improvised bow should be okay for short-range hunting and ambushing people within 25 yards or so (given the construction that's generous).

However, it's still going to be easier and far more effective to just grab a gun than messing around with the bow. I doubt they'll make firearms very difficult to obtain, without changing that they have two options: "useless" bows or unrealistic bows that turn the player into Legolas or Robin Hood.

I disagree. Archery should be viable on small and medium game up to 80 meters. You can make an improvised bow with ~45-60 lbs of pull which is plenty for short-medium range hunting. Recurve and Compound(?) Bows should be effective up to ~160 meters but it's largely dependant on skill. You could seriously injure and even kill a human up to ~60m away, hell if you're tall your stride is likely nearly a meter long. Saying that a bow should only work out to 25m it's like taking the powder out of your bullets and/or ignoring physics. It doesn't have to be amazingly accurate but I'd advocate a minimum of 80m worth of effective range with a skill floor/roof of 40-120m

Edited by Arduras
derpy typos.

10 minutes ago, Arduras said:

I disagree. Archery should be viable on small and medium game up to 80 meters. You can make an improvised bow with ~45-60 lbs of pull which is plenty for short-medium range hunting. Recurve and Compound(?) Bows should be effective up to ~160 meters but it's largely dependant on skill. You could seriously injure and even kill a human up to ~60m away, hell if you're tall your stride is likely nearly a meter long. Saying that a bow should only work out to 25m it's like taking the powder out of your bullets and/or ignoring physics. It doesn't have to be amazingly accurate but I'd advocate a minimum of 80m worth of effective range with a skill floor/roof of 40-120m

The range for clean kills is much less than the range at which one can merely hit the target, and I'm speaking of the improvised bow in particular. If you fire on someone with that improvised bow at 75-100 yards you should have a fair chance of missing and a very small chance of killing or disabling the target right there and then. 

2 hours ago, donkennedy01 said:

Just in case anyone forgot

Q1 2015

Basic vehicles  (WE STILL HAVE BASIC VEHICLES)

Advanced loot distribution    (IF YOU SAY SO)

New renderer     (CHOKES ON COFFEE)

New Zombie AI   (STILL DOES NOT WORK)

Basic stealth system (zombies and animals)   

Diseases

Q2 2015

Advanced vehicles (repair and modifications)     (UM NO)

Advanced animals (life cycle, group behavior)    (SEE ABOVE)

Player statistics

New UI      (PISH)

Player stamina

Dynamic events

Q3 2015

Traps

Barricading      (WE CAN LOCK A DOOR)

Character life span + soft skills      (UM NO)

Animal predators + birds        (UM NO)

Aerial transport     (WOW CANT GET CARS TO WORK)

Console prototype    (THIS IS PROB WHERE ALL THE TIME AND CASH HAS BEEN GOING IMO)

Q4 2015

Animal companions    (UM NO)

Steam community integration    (NOPE)

Construction (base building)     (NOPE)

BETA version     (JUST PEED LAUGHING)

Lol did they really say they'd have all this done by 2015???? It's funny how Brian always argues that they or on schedule when they are actually a year behind..... Unfortunately I see this game gradually pittering away... 4 months on one update. That's 13.5 years till beta release lol

Setting a date is a recipe for being late and rushing and making mistakes. I will always be happy with software programmers getting it right and being comfortable with their release when they are ready to release. Sure I want to test that new release and I might be chewing my fingers off waiting, but I don't want a hot pie that tastes like puke and a hotfix to remove the puke taste afterward! So many games have released with massive bugs and many extensions to a set date, which creates negative feeling when the deadline has passed. This project is more like my uncle putting together a motorcycle from spare parts in the garage. It will be done pretty soon and I will get to ride it soon. This game is almost like getting a new game, every time they release a new version, since we get to start from scratch and lots of things have changed and things have been added and Splat, some sniper killed me. Well my opinion anyway :-D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -Gews- said:

they have two options: "useless" bows or unrealistic bows that turn the player into Legolas or Robin Hood.

... what about a regular compound bow that works as intended?

Edited by Buakaw

3 minutes ago, Buakaw said:

... what about a regular compound bow that works as intended?

It would be quite nice, but right now they've only shown us the recurve currently with no sights, which would not be too different from the current improvised since the latter now makes 328 ft/s with composite arrows, 262 ft/s with the bone arrows, etc, and has good potential accuracy (recurve would realistically be under 200 ft/s, improvised, let's say up to 150). I don't know if they have a compound planned since the crossbow also fills that role in progression but it's been a common request.

• Like 3

If you hit someone at 70m and they keep running that arrow is tearing their shit up. They should most definitely be bleeding if not killed. Most of the changes I want are animation related so it's basically "we'll see" but I definitely want the return of a 5-arrow mag. Having to stand still aiming an arrow (which can't keep up with your mouse at ALL lol) while someone has a gun is silly. It should be a 1-shot kill to 20m. 2 shot kill to 60m. 3 shots beyond that. As it is the drawing animation takes a while - the time it takes for someone to dump their mag and have even a third of their rounds hit you - time for them to take at least 2 accurate shots. So it's not unreasonable in context. Right now the bow is effectively useless in it's "effective range" because of the current animation problems. You should be able to pop off shots in close quarters even if they are fairly in-accurate (that sway mechanic is crazy wide x_x) and it'd still require timing on the player's part. It wouldn't be super effective but with enough skill it could still be used defensively in an urban or close to medium wilderness situation.

Best way to fix the arrow dilema....Make a quiver that holds like lets say 20 arrows total capactity.It attachs to your back or it is possible to attach to a backpack. Wouldnt be that hard to implement that as a attachment restrictly for the mountain backpack or sposn.Since these hav the nice bulky frame which would make it seem more authentic to be able to.Rather than allowing it to be attached to all backpacks,but as being an attachment it wouldnt deduct none of its inventory space. When you go to draw up the bow your character pulls an arrow from the quiver. Then repeats to grab another out of it after that one is fired. At least until the bow is not in the drawn up postion.

When I go deep into the woods, I have my .306 over my shoulder and my .357 on my gun belt hanging kinda low with the hammer on an empty chamber and 2 speed loaders. I wish I could have a pistol in a side holster. Right now it makes no sense to have a pistol, cause the 4 spots for the gun and several spots for the mag's and extra ammo, don't make sense when I can have piles of rifle ammo in those spots. sigh.

Hi, I lost now 4 chars (3 different Privat Servers and 1 Public Server) while I was trying to log in... all chars were in a save place (and ofc well equiped). Whats going on? Is it my DSL or what the heck is wrong?

Edit: I took a Dayz break of 1.5 years, then I started to play the game 2 weeks ago... it seems it's better to take another break of 1.5 years.

Edited by Sharplooter

My character was deep in the woods and logged off with no one on the server last night. Now he's on the beach with a flashlight.

OOOH! Database seems like it is back up!! My characters are back Yeah.

Edited by Excanto
  • Like 1

Random question here, guys...

Anyone play on a server that had rain, lately?

I assume they removed it from 0.59, as I have yet to see it on any public server.

Anyway...just wanted to mess around in a good downpour so I can see the upgrade when 0.60 pushes.

Thanks.

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎16 at 7:27 PM, Excanto said:

and Splat, some sniper killed me.

Now THAT"S funny! hahaha.

Every story about our adventures in Chenarus should end with that.... Well said!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, philbur said:

Random question here, guys...

Anyone play on a server that had rain, lately?

I assume they removed it from 0.59, as I have yet to see it on any public server.

Anyway...just wanted to mess around in a good downpour so I can see the upgrade when 0.60 pushes.

Thanks.

Well I heard thunder in the distance several times, but never saw any rain. Then one night I was going thru my inventory next to a tree close to tent city way out west and I saw rain sprinkling down and I ran out from under the tree to embrace the wonderful rain and it stopped. I couldn't really be sure it was rain and not a video glitch. I was near a spot where a car spawns and I heard a weird car trying to start with a bad starter sound. I looked over the road edge and there was no car anywhere on the road and I dropped back down out of view and suddenly I saw the flash of a car going by at about 60 mph and I jumped out of my boots and looked down the road and nothing and no one was even on the server. Also saw a car down the road and ran towards it only to see if vanish when I got about 50 feet away. Same with a nice tent inside a bunker, five feet from it "drooling" and flash it was gone. 

9 minutes ago, Excanto said:

Well I heard thunder in the distance several times, but never saw any rain. Then one night I was going thru my inventory next to a tree close to tent city way out west and I saw rain sprinkling down and I ran out from under the tree to embrace the wonderful rain and it stopped. I couldn't really be sure it was rain and not a video glitch. I was near a spot where a car spawns and I heard a weird car trying to start with a bad starter sound. I looked over the road edge and there was no car anywhere on the road and I dropped back down out of view and suddenly I saw the flash of a car going by at about 60 mph and I jumped out of my boots and looked down the road and nothing and no one was even on the server. Also saw a car down the road and ran towards it only to see if vanish when I got about 50 feet away. Same with a nice tent inside a bunker, five feet from it "drooling" and flash it was gone. 

ok...time to step away from the mescal brother!

Maybe I'll avoid the rain...if it means seriously crazy shit like you encountered is going to happen. Hehehehee!

• Like 1

How come I am still stuck on server version 59.131642 when for the last 3 weeks all the servers have updated to 59.131908 or whatever. I have literally done everything to update but its starting to piss me off.

6 hours ago, philbur said:

ok...time to step away from the mescal brother!

Maybe I'll avoid the rain...if it means seriously crazy shit like you encountered is going to happen. Hehehehee!

It's just some odd bugs in this version :-)

5 hours ago, Hunttheer said:

How come I am still stuck on server version 59.131642 when for the last 3 weeks all the servers have updated to 59.131908 or whatever. I have literally done everything to update but its starting to piss me off.

Because you are set to experimental and it is an older version for some reason. Switch it to opt-out and you will be at stable.

1 hour ago, Excanto said:

Because you are set to experimental and it is an older version for some reason. Switch it to opt-out and you will be at stable.

Cheers Mate. Thought I did this before. Opt-Out and got a quick update but changed back to Experimental before I booted game up. My bad.

• Like 1

Well not sure what has happened, but lost 4 out of 5 stashes in less than a month on a low pop server.  One stash I knew had a high chance of being found so nothing much of interest in it, but the other 3? and every thing gone and stashes were well spread out and some of the barrels that have gone even I found hard to find and I knew where they were.  For one you had to be prone just to access the inventory for it and to be able to see it so you could not just stumble on it by walking around with your inventory open.  Well that is dayz for you my stashes lasted a good long time before poof and gone.  I wonder if they took the items or just put holes in the barrels so they would de spawn as there would have been a lot of kit to transfer/move lol.

A friend of mine said barrels de spawn if not interacted with over time.  Any one know if this is true? and if so how long before that happens? and is it the same for tents and cars?

5 hours ago, Fing said:

A friend of mine said barrels de spawn if not interacted with over time.  Any one know if this is true? and if so how long before that happens? and is it the same for tents and cars?

It's true for barrels, tents, and cars. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes for barrels and tents to despawn but I think it's around 2 weeks without any interaction. I think it's shorter for cars but still a long time.