boneboys

Exp Update: 0.59 (+hotfix).

Been playing some .59 on my lonesome, though I might play with my mate tomorrow if we're both about.

I like .59 so far, here are some jumbled thoughts.

- Water pumps are bugged, as we all know, but I'm actually having a lot of fun. Food is everywhere, but I have no canteen so all of my water has to come from tinned food. As a result, I find myself actually needing to look for viable food and water sources rather then eating two packs of dried milk and spamming a pump until I'm stuffed. That's cool. It almost makes me wonder if the devs broke it on purpose to see if people could survive without water pumps, but I doubt that.

- Been using -newui and found it a little bit frustrating at first until I learned the quirks. I found items can only be dropped if you put them into the vicinity window, weapons seem to only be holstered when used from the hotbar, stuff like that. Its use of space is awful, but I know that'll change down the line. Well. I hope.

- Trying to work out gun sounds. I heard a bunch of gunshots that sounded kind of close, so I waited to see if anybody would appear from a church where I heard the shots coming from. After a while I investigated and found you couldn't even enter the church, and concluded that those gunshots probably came from Devil's (?) Castle - likely somebody shooting zombies since a bunch were on that hill. The shots sounded much closer, though. When shots are very far way they're muffled, but I'm hoping that eventually it'll be more like a crack rather than the sound of a pillow hitting the floor.

- I'd like to see more accelerated time, and changes to accelerated time. When watching the church, it went from, like, noon to dusk almost instantly, and then progressed into night. A smoother transition would be nice. More acceleration would be nice as well. I played for a couple of hours and it was night all the way through. Had to join a US server so I could get day. As such I'd be keen on days lasting maybe a couple of hours (midnight to midnight) so we get the full range of morning to night, rather than near-perpetual day or night. I like playing at night, but black and white vision gets boring before very long.

- It might be a new UI thing, but items in hands seems to behave very strangely. I had the freshspawn road flare and couldn't get rid of it, so I had to throw it away with G. It then floated in the air. I had the option so I lit it and left it behind. Not long after I needed to put something in my hands and found that I couldn't. Suspecting some form of nonsense I pressed G again, and a lit flare flew from my body. Before that (on 3pp not 1pp) I had a cooking pot. Drinking from it stuck it to my hands. relogging fixed it, but I wish I'd tried throwing it with G. I saw somebody else had the same issue, so if anybody has this problem see if G does anything.

- Somebody mentioned the removal of the gamma exploit... is that true? If so I'm some sort of wizard. I did find it'd reset occasionally, though, as though the settings hadn't stayed - so maybe that's it.

- Had, I think, one CTD. Was time for bed anyway. Also the missing texture error boxes that everyone else has been getting, but I think it only pops up once

- Not noticed much of an improvement in performance with -newui. 5 - 10 frames maybe? If any? It's hard to say.

All n all it seems fairly stable. Bar a few notable exceptions (likely to do with the new UI and desync) I've not had any game breaking issues. Found a Red 9, which is cool. I'll have to hunt some zombies with it as I have a ton of 9mm. Not found any .22, though, so my sporter is suffering a bit. Oh, and found SKS ammo in I think either a house or a deer stand. Either way, good thing.

• Like 3

Anybody else hear the fool that was somehow speaking globally  scream "Alah Ackbar(sp)" followed by a bunch of what sounded like Arabic on the Southwest server? I can't recall the number of the server, but he went on for nearly 5 mins. Had a few friends on playing with me and they were in separate regions of the map and could hear him too. 

Sounds like somebody found a way to "script/hack" the walkie talkies or somehow get admin controls to then speak globally :(

Also witnessed trees swinging like pendulums all over the map followed by some guy stating that he was "God coming to claim his children".  

If nobody has opened up a dev tracker on this, I WILL. The Dev's need to know asap so they can start to investigate and put a stop to this childless on the Exp. Servers. :emptycan:  

Yesterday someone was talking on DE 2 global for a really long time, advertising a cheat site, blasting music...

I did some more experiments with loot cleanup/respawn: As someone mentioned before in this thread all the spawned loot is now deleted and replaced after some time - independent from player interaction. I don't know if there is more logic behind it but the recycle interval seems to be in the range 30min - 4hours: During my tests I checked a small hut in Kamensk and a few minutes later I checked it again and it had new loot (a wrench and a farming hoe). So I knew the time when the items spawned - when I checked it again after 30 minutes the loot was still here- 4 hours later it was replaced with other loot. I doubt that it was picked up - who would pick up a wrench :D So the recycle timeout is probably in this range.

I hope that this fast recycle interval is just an experiment - with this short interval the world seems a bit random and it's strange that everything is changing constantly. There is no point to remember where you saw some loot that might come useful later since it has been replaced already.

Over the last days I repeated a short loot run in the north with a few hours breaks between (always on the same server). The loot was completely different every time and it was an easy and fast way to pick up good loot.

One obviously benefit is that the CLE can distribute the loot better - and makes finding loot easier. What do you guys think about this?

• Like 2

Anybody else hear the fool that was somehow speaking globally  scream "Alah Ackbar(sp)" followed by a bunch of what sounded like Arabic on the Southwest server? I can't recall the number of the server, but he went on for nearly 5 mins. Had a few friends on playing with me and they were in separate regions of the map and could hear him too. 

Sounds like somebody found a way to "script/hack" the walkie talkies or somehow get admin controls to then speak globally :(

Also witnessed trees swinging like pendulums all over the map followed by some guy stating that he was "God coming to claim his children".  

If nobody has opened up a dev tracker on this, I WILL. The Dev's need to know asap so they can start to investigate and put a stop to this childless on the Exp. Servers. :emptycan:  

I was submitting a bug report yesterday and happened upon this other report of hacking; the video is largely incoherent, but features those swinging trees you mentioned.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

I just press the scroll wheel when I reload, works like a charm. Basically when you empty a magazine and you have a spare in your inventory, just press the action button and you'll automatically switch out the magazines. You may need the free inventory slots to put away the empty mag, not sure about that, but reloading in itself isn't a problem for me.

Am I understanding you correctly? My action key is bound to F. Do you mean that when your weapon has no more rounds in it, a contextual action for "Reload" shows up in the scroll wheel actions? Or that I can just press F? If that's the case, then thanks for sharing. I didn't think to try that for whatever reason, although it does make perfect sense.

Am I understanding you correctly? My action key is bound to F. Do you mean that when your weapon has no more rounds in it, a contextual action for "Reload" shows up in the scroll wheel actions? Or that I can just press F? If that's the case, then thanks for sharing. I didn't think to try that for whatever reason, although it does make perfect sense.

Well, F is my action key too but I can use a click of the scroll wheel (Mouse3) as well to do things like opening doors, using ladders and picking up items. Pretty sure it's a default thing. Whenever I'm using a gun with a magazine, as long as I have another magazine stashed, if I fire all rounds out the attached magazine, a little reload icon appears in my crosshairs. So then I hit the scroll button and voilà, reloading. The empty mag goes in an available spot in my inventory, the new mag goes in the gun, and I can start shooting things again, all without having to manually go into the inventory.

Edited by Sacha

Well, F is my action key too but I can use a click of the scroll wheel (Mouse3) as well to do things like opening doors, using ladders and picking up items. Pretty sure it's a default thing. Whenever I'm using a gun with a magazine, as long as I have another magazine stashed, if I fire all rounds out the attached magazine, a little reload icon appears in my crosshairs. So then I hit the scroll button and voilà, reloading. The empty mag goes in an available spot in my inventory, the new mag goes in the gun, and I can start shooting things again, all without having to manually go into the inventory.

Generally, I would have expected the game to work that same way for me too. However, I have my middle mouse click mapped through Logitech Gaming Software. Also, I did not see the normal reload icon for a Magnum when I had a speed loader in my inventory (could be because of current build settings) nor when I emptied the mag in my 1911. I had to put the 2nd magazine for my 1911 on the hotbar and use the hotbar to get the mag to load. Perhaps the normal reload function is working on some of the assault rifles or SMGs?

Generally, I would have expected the game to work that same way for me too. However, I have my middle mouse click mapped through Logitech Gaming Software. Also, I did not see the normal reload icon for a Magnum when I had a speed loader in my inventory (could be because of current build settings) nor when I emptied the mag in my 1911. I had to put the 2nd magazine for my 1911 on the hotbar and use the hotbar to get the mag to load. Perhaps the normal reload function is working on some of the assault rifles or SMGs?

Did you have room in the inventory to put the empty mag? So far as I know the quick reload works with pretty much any type of gun, including ammo clips, speedloaders and snaploaders. Even the flare gun, IIRC.

Did you have room in the inventory to put the empty mag? So far as I know the quick reload works with pretty much any type of gun, including ammo clips, speedloaders and snaploaders. Even the flare gun, IIRC.

While I cannot state with absolute scientific level certainty that I did have enough room for the empty mag because at the time I did not specifically check, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I had at least one empty slot. Both the speed loader and the 1911 mag are single slot and I almost never have my inventory completely full. I've developed a system of inventory management that almost always leaves my vest and pants empty. Even if I am loaded down with gear, I still try to leave my pants empty always. You never know when desync will ruin whatever you stash there.

It should be noted that none of what I have described here took place on the latest Experimental build. I am talking about the first build of 0.59, not the latest second patch. We may be discussing a peculiarity that doesn't exist anymore. I will have to play the newest build some and get back to you.

Yesterday someone was talking on DE 2 global for a really long time, advertising a cheat site, blasting music...

I did some more experiments with loot cleanup/respawn:

Over the last days I repeated a short loot run in the north with a few hours breaks between (always on the same server). The loot was completely different every time and it was an easy and fast way to pick up good loot.

One obviously benefit is that the CLE can distribute the loot better - and makes finding loot easier. What do you guys think about this?

Good that it's confirmed. It confused me to no end to find things changed around the base when I returned. The downside to it is - as you said - you can't be too sure about item locations and have to hoard or backtrack in order to get the stuff you need. The upside is you might be lucky and find a rifle or item that would otherwise not spawn in forever. Luck is the part that concerns me a bit, since I like to think I'm planning my trips (at least when I have a camp). It's harder to plan for things when they become more randomized.

About the reloading. I was only able to use the hotbar for it - and in a way I like it a lot. I just don't like it in combination with the new hotbar restrictions. It's really weird you have to adapt your hotbar use to the clothing you wear and slots available. I mean it's a logically sound idea, it just isn't a lot of fun to get used to.

If it helps improve the CLE's performance the item cleanup is okay with me. It's not quite how the CLE was supposed to work, but it's better than what we've had before.   

Good that it's confirmed. It confused me to no end to find things changed around the base when I returned. The downside to it is - as you said - you can't be too sure about item locations and have to hoard or backtrack in order to get the stuff you need. The upside is you might be lucky and find a rifle or item that would otherwise not spawn in forever. Luck is the part that concerns me a bit, since I like to think I'm planning my trips (at least when I have a camp). It's harder to plan for things when they become more randomized.

About the reloading. I was only able to use the hotbar for it - and in a way I like it a lot. I just don't like it in combination with the new hotbar restrictions. It's really weird you have to adapt your hotbar use to the clothing you wear and slots available. I mean it's a logically sound idea, it just isn't a lot of fun to get used to.

If it helps improve the CLE's performance the item cleanup is okay with me. It's not quite how the CLE was supposed to work, but it's better than what we've had before.

I disagree, the CLE is shit at the moment. I can literally lootcycle a town over and over without having to leave. If I want I can stay in 1 place and get evertyhing I want concerning civilian loot.

Clean out a building and within a few minutes it's full again. No, not the kind of game I want, they definitely need to change it.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 4

I disagree, the CLE is shit at the moment. I can literally lootcycle a town over and over without having to leave. If I want I can stay in 1 place and get evertyhing I want concerning civilian loot.

Clean out a building and within a few minutes it's full again. No, not the kind of game I want, they definitely need to change it.

You are a very patient kind of player then. Not everyone has the patience to clean out entire towns. I tried it myself (in a police station and a farmhouse) out of curiosity and while things respawned around me they weren't really useful to me. I also noticed sometimes items would pop up right next to me when at other times, I had to wait and return much later to see a change. I think the military rifles have an 8hour respawn cycle, so it shouldn't be possible to force respawn them, even if you looted the entire northern airfield. That's at least the theory.

If you cleaned out a building and it was full again, I think that might have been, because the CLE was reorgnizing items around you. As we've stated the CLE  moves things around in their spawns every 4 hours. (Which is nuts, yeah) So these items are actually not respawning, some are just moved from somewhere else, i.e. redistributed. Maybe the devs could limit the area in which that happens and the amount of things that can respawn in one place over time.

We now are in a situation where loot spawns in bubbles again (in bigger bubbles than before, but still) and where hackers are making a comeback. Despite the progress the game makes, so much effort was and is still put into mechanics that are only slight improvements over the mods'. In the case of the CLE, I think further tweaking can improve it greatly, but I doubt we'll ever reach a situation that is 100% agreed on by everybody. It's better in the sense that it doesn't spawn loot when a player enters an area. It's not better in the way of persistence, in fact I think it was easier to memorize items in the mod and go back find them later, than it is here. 

Edited by S3V3N

Hello,

Does anyone know when this will hit stable?

/Andreas

Since you're asking politely: no ;)

It's really not a popular question to ask when stable or any version becomes available; I wish things were a bit more transparent on that end, too. But the simple truth is the devs don't know it themselves. From my experience so far, I expect one more update to the experimental, then a brief evaluation phase, before it is either finally patched or moved to stable right away. We are getting indications that things are progressing, as the car parts are back in the game, since the #2 update; cars however are not. 

I guess stable could be well into December, maybe with a few more additions. It'll be worth waiting for but hopefully it'll come quicker, since the few experimental servers are always full after a big update.

Edited by S3V3N

Since you're asking politely: no ;)

It's really not a popular question to ask when stable or any version becomes available; I wish things were a bit more transparent on that end, too. But the simple truth is the devs don't know it themselves. From my experience so far, I expect one more update to the experimental, then a brief evaluation phase, before it is either finally patched or moved to stable right away. We are getting indications that things are progressing, as the car parts are back in the game, since the #2 update; cars however are not. 

I guess stable could be well into December, maybe with a few more additions. It'll be worth waiting for but hopefully it'll come quicker, since the few experimental servers are always full after a big update.

Thank you for the reply.

Yeah, i haven't been very active here and thought there usually was like a "timeframe" that it very often was released etc 2 weeks after it hit exp.

But now i know, thank you again for the reply.

//Andreas

I think we are ready for "vehicle update". Even I managed to gear up with 3 weapons with ammo.

Didnt know we can now drink from cooking pot. I stored cans of food in pot, and when I move mouse over can it shows 53% but when I opened can it says 100%.

• Like 3

Played with the new UI tonight, couldn't see what the server pops were in the menu, nor the ping of each server, so I ended up joining a low-pop, The FPS were seriously improved with the new UI, and it makes me excited for the design improvements to the UI since it already runs so much better. It doesn't seem to have an 'x' button atm, so the only way to exit is to press tab again. Loading weapons, switching weapons, item interaction were all really quite cumbersome to use. The hotkey system of reloading has its pros and cons, but I really think using hotkeys should be a choice and not a necessity. I'm probably gonna end up switching back to the old UI for now. I just can't stand not seeing my character's health status. Really looking forward to the next iterations.

I think we are ready for "vehicle update". Even I managed to gear up with 3 weapons with ammo.

Didnt know we can now drink from cooking pot. I stored cans of food in pot, and when I move mouse over can it shows 53% but when I opened can it says 100%.

They are gonna have to fix a couple of things before that. I don't think the lootspawns have been matched to the map yet; at least last time I was in Bere I still saw floating tents. And the new apartments are empty. I also haven't seen police cars, weather or a reasonable amount of zombies. If they want it all in, there's gonna be some testing required. I guess though, since this is 0.59 no more economies will be added, just the cars so we can test them. Kind of cool to think of it all in one + basebuilding, once it's completed. 

How do we repair the new waterproof bags? I only find them damaged, but neither the stitching nor the leather kit works. And ducttape will just restore it. 

I also just realized that the model of the future Heli rotor is a single blade. So there won't be the rotor and engine parts like in the mod. I guess we can repair the engine and replace the blades. Made me think about how someone would carry such a blade. It will surely make for some manga-esque melee weapon ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I did some more tests and observed that some spawned in items are replaced within one hour. Initially I thought that this recycle time is a feature but this seems too fast - maybe this is a bug...

With regards to the parts to the helicopter, I wish they'd make it to where you needed a vehicle to transport some of the parts. For example the Blades. Those suckers are long and carrying one of those for a few KM's or more is certainly going to be difficult on an individual. Hell even car or truck batteries would be a pain in the ass to carry from town to town. Anybody lately replaced their battery in their vehicle? Its a heavy son a gun unless you have a dry cell like a OPTIMUM battery. Anyways, just my .02 on the subject of vehicle parts. 

With regards to the hacker/cheater that others have witnessed as well; thank you for linking the report. I will vote up the report as well as add in comments based on what I witnessed last night while playing and watching BlackOut's live stream on Experimental. Sounded like the same kid from the video in the report but I cannot confirm. I don't have time to go back through Blackout's recorded video but there is plenty of evidence in that video of the hacker talking in Global.  

They are gonna have to fix a couple of things before that. 

They have to fix more than a couple things, but who can wait. We will have at least 6-8 more updates (bigger or smaller) before this goes to stable. They should give us more content for more testing.

I was submitting a bug report yesterday and happened upon this other report of hacking; the video is largely incoherent, but features those swinging trees you mentioned.

Yeah i've heard from multiple reliable sources that the 420 servers are operated by a group of hackers, and have also seen several 420 members using hacks / cheats. Best to avoid the lot of them really, not that they're that dangerous or good at the game mind you without the hacks.

With regards to the parts to the helicopter, I wish they'd make it to where you needed a vehicle to transport some of the parts. For example the Blades. 

Well, there will be different truck beds. Let's hope one of them is a transporter. I think it would be cool if two people were needed to carry a heli-blade; not sure about storing it in a barrel - perhaps they can't be stored permanently. They would probably fit vertically into the truck and tent inventory, though. I expect a lot of action involving vehicles in the future, since they'll be broke down and require lots of work. I hope we get to talk more about the cars, soon ;)

Anyone seen deer or animals since the last patch? I've been all over the map and I only heard a fox yesterday. Pretty sure it was a fox, but I didn't even see it. Usually, with the amount of running I've done, I would have expected to see a housepig, boar or at least a chicken. Have I just been less fortunate, or has the amount of animals been decreased since the patch?

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I have a huge performance improvement from 30 fps in Stary Sobor to 45 fps looking in the worst fps direction. I use objects to very low and object distance to 800m. Anyway I confirm, there is a huge fps increase.

No matter how bad -newui is at the moment, I cannot go back to 30 fps. I will use it for this perf increase.

Anyone seen deer or animals since the last patch?

Saw two cows and a pig in Petrovka, basically spawned inside each other (I named the cow inside the pig David). They ran when I got close. Saw two deer right next to each other near Zelenogorsk.

From these events I get the impression that animals spawn in clusters rather than diffuse throughout the map - though that might only apply to pigs, cows and deer, Not seen chickens or foxes.

• Like 1