Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 15 Sept 15

R2VOWUFH5hTL5HpIEm9kuCxerU3hzd_header.jp

Evening Survivors,
This week's Status Report contains good info from Lead Producer Brian Hicks regarding the Central Loot Economy, engine work, and the newly introduced Combat Scrum held over the weekend.

Development Board Spotlight
New Ambient SFX

Dev Update/Hicks
Greetings Survivors,
As the team prepares work on 0.59 experimental release (v1) we'll recap this week any applicable changes to 0.58 stable, and talk a bit about what to expect with 0.59 experimental.

Those of you who closely follow dev's personal twitter accounts might already know some of this information, but not everyone does - so we need to recap this.
With the hotfix deployed to stable branch servers, it is important that everyone understands how the item cleanup system works - both right now, and how it should be operating with 0.59 stable.

• Items have a 30 minute lifetime which can be refreshed by picking up the item, or directly interacting with it.
  • Base Objects (Tents, Ammo Canisters, Protector Cases, Barrels, Vehicles) have a 45 day lifetime. This will eventually move to 7 days once systems are in place for intuitive lifetime refresh
  • Backpacks (not including the improvised and crafted types) have a lifetime of 4 hours
  • Crafted backpacks have a lifetime of 1 hour

When the first 0.59 experimental build hits, you'll notice a few things we'll be trying.

• 10 Offroad Hatchbacks will spawn
  • 10 Civilian Sedans will spawn
  • 5 Transit Buses will spawn
  • 5 V3S Chassis will spawn
  • 3 V3S Cargo will spawn

These numbers may not carry over to stable, as the intent is to test how both the server handles the amount, and the player-player vehicle position is handled. In addition, we'll be operating most servers at 75 players on 0.59 experimental. If we're able to get server side performance above the red line at 75 players prior 0.59 hitting stable, it will carry over. If not, we'll continue to work towards it with 0.60 experimental.

For 0.59, and 0.60 both - we're looking at a good amount of engine work being merged into the main branch. Part of this work includes the beginning of basic QA passes against portions of the new renderer. This is internally only, but requires some DLL changes to be present in the main distribution, so don't get to worked up if you see some DLL's referencing Enfusion, or Direct X 11. Past the programmers merging these engine changes in, they still need to be properly configured within the areas of the title that use them by the design team, tested by QA, bugfixed, regression testing, and so on. So don't expect massive changes all at once (a general good approach to the whole of Early Access, in general) - and please, if you're participating in the Experimental Branch, make sure to file bugs at feedback.dayzgame.com

Last Saturday we had the first Combat Scrum w/ PvP Evangelists - and we've compiled the rough notes of what was covered in this below:
Attending:
Brian Hicks
xSmak
Respawnonme
iwinuloselol
DeadlySlob
M1NDR
Break71

This initial combat scrum ran a whopping two hours, and bounced over a myriad of topics. We're looking into the possibility of moving to releasing these as audio MP3s in the future. For this scrum we'll cover the top four questions and their responses.

1) Player Desync / Gunshots not being heard / Breaking your legs while climbing upstairs?
A) While server side performance gains were made, this exponentially grew the amount of successful network traffic being handled by the server. No optimizations have been done on this across 2015, and thus obviously has to be a priority moving forward. This is a well known issue internally, and will be a focus moving forward. Network traffic behavior is just not acceptable right now, and must be improved.

2) Improvised Bow - Balancing? Changing the aiming style? Improving usability?
A) Obviously, the current method of using the improvised bow in combat is not ideal. It is -functional- but we have a good ways to go with it until we're happy. Most of that is either A) Going to be affected by upcoming changes to the animation system, and player controller and B) Going to come in beta, when our focus shifts from primarily feature development, to bug fixing. In short, in the end - we most definitely want bow combat to be both viable, and rewarding.

3) Weapon Sway / Realism vs Fun / Using the effect of hold breath to mitigate the cost of weapon sway & stamina?
A) This is a good point. Obviously DayZ is known for, and associated with a "hardcore unforgiving survival simulator" - and we want to maintain this moving forward. However, when it comes to systems such as weapon sway, hold breath, and stamina - and how they all play into each other, we need to communicate more clearly to the user exactly what is going on.

Part of this can be communicated properly via the upcoming new (togglable) UI, and even more can be communicated by -properly- displaying a (more) visible change in sway via the hold breath mechanic. As we're currently using placeholder tech from RV in this area, we're not able to do what we want to do with this. As we move closer to beta, we're all excited to move weapon sway, and associated hold breath functionality and the new UI towards a more approachable and understandable system. Much like learning to control your sound in DayZ Mod, we hope to see players learning through UI and visual cues how to control their weapon sway, and use hold breath the most effectively.

4) Are there any plans to reduce player speed / Address some sort of inertia system to mitigate players being able to make high speed 180 turns without consequence?
A) Firstly with player speed, anyone who played DayZ Mod can tell you how ridiculously fast the DayZ player speed is in comparison. Initially this was done to help mitigate the limited available methods of transportation in DayZ, as Chernarus is a very, very large play area - and the decentralization of points of interest by expanding and redesigning Chernarus into Chernarus Plus meant much more travel was needed. As we look forwards towards 0.59 and beyond, increasing the methods and availability of transportation we'll be scaling back player movement speed (iteratively, not all at once). When it comes to inertia, dexterity, and all of the potential gameplay areas that can have an impact on the player movement, there is most certainly room for improvement. Keep in mind however, we can't start effectively implementing and changing how this works in game until both the new player controller, and animation system are merged in and configured for use by the design team.

That said, we are most definitely interested in improving how the player handles, and expanding the simulation of weight, and dexterity upon the momentum of player characters in motion. The next three months or so should see some marked improvement, and changes to how this is handled.

- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Community Spotlight: NWAF is the place to be in .58!

Hey everyone,
While well underway towards 0.59, it's been great to see all the material pumped out by players while they have a go at 0.58 on Stable branch. As a small treat for this week, we have a bit of PvP action at the NWAF to show you:

The video was posted by WookieG0420 via the Gallery on our DayZ forums (3 to 1, not bad indeed).
As always, if you have a nice video containing DayZ footage you'd like to share, or if you have come across some DayZ footage from other content creators, just post it in the Gallery section of the DayZ forums and we'll happily have a look.

Also, for the month of August, we'd like to extend a big thanks to all of you who took the time to help file bugs via our Feedback Tracker! On the Tracker, joe_mcentire, mamersmann, Darcion(!), lagrange, HaseDesTodes, K-2, did outstanding work in filing a good chunk of bugs each throughout August and the entire team is really grateful for the effort you put into it guys!

Header image credit: Raptorz
- Michael aka SMoss / Community Manager
  • Like 5

Interesting status report,finally. Still no word about infected. Finally announcement of new render .

• Like 1

Thanks devs, all!

I hope to be surprised with some infected spawn servers in experimental .59-.60....

No pics/mention from/of Camp No-Lag but another PvP video?

erm, ok....

• Like 2

The weapon sway is unrealistic imo. It's not a communication issue, it's a game mechanic issue. I wouldn't mind if the sway pattern was in line with breathing but it's not. I really like the idea of having to hold your breath etc but the sway adds nothing to that. 

please tell me when let zombies return to the game and be common?

• Like 1

Can't freaking wait til .59 , although my spider senses are tingling and telling me that zombies won't be in the first iteration of .59 in large numbers . Still great to hear some info on .59 , my guess is we get it next Wednesday (not tomorrow/today, but Wednesday after that).

• Like 1

What is the scrum schedule again? What will the next group be focusing on? Could make it a podcast. In regards to the weapon sway, seems like they are eluding to some kind of UI or queue to tell us when we would experience sway. But isn't having and seeing the sway an indication enough that you have sway? Do we need an UI icon to tell us this, similar to the old sound icon of the mod? Even if toggle-able would it create a grind to find the sweet spot in stamina, running, aiming? Like most additions, we'll have to see it first. Can't wait for more experimental branches to come out. After the long stretch of exp. for .58, I got addicted to them. Can't wait to see all those vehicles driving around carrying kill teams or saviors. 

Every time I see a video of NWAF I always think that I'll see my own death at some point. NWAF is definitely the place to go when you want action and to test yourself. Especially when you get bored and want a valiant way to go out before starting again.  :)

Hi !

2) Improvised Bow - Balancing? Changing the aiming style? Improving usability?
A) Obviously, the current method of using the improvised bow in combat is not ideal. It is -functional- but we have a good ways to go with it until we're happy. Most of that is either A) Going to be affected by upcoming changes to the animation system, and player controller and  B) Going to come in beta, when our focus shifts from primarily feature development, to bug fixing. In short, in the end - we most definitely want bow combat to be both viable, and rewarding.

3) Weapon Sway / Realism vs Fun / Using the effect of hold breath to mitigate the cost of weapon sway & stamina?
A) This is a good point. Obviously DayZ is known for, and associated with a "hardcore unforgiving survival simulator" - and we want to maintain this moving forward. However, when it comes to systems such as weapon sway, hold breath, and stamina - and how they all play into each other, we need to communicate more clearly to the user exactly what is going on.

Part of this can be communicated properly via the upcoming new (togglable) UI, and even more can be communicated by -properly- displaying a (more) visible change in sway via the hold breath mechanic. As we're currently using placeholder tech from RV in this area, we're not able to do what we want to do with this. As we move closer to beta, we're all excited to move weapon sway, and associated hold breath functionality and the new UI towards a more approachable and understandable system. Much like learning to control your sound in DayZ Mod, we hope to see players learning through UI and visual cues how to control their weapon sway, and use hold breath the most effectively.

4) Are there any plans to reduce player speed / Address some sort of inertia system to mitigate players being able to make high speed 180 turns without consequence?
A) Firstly with player speed, anyone who played DayZ Mod can tell you how ridiculously fast the DayZ player speed is in comparison. Initially this was done to help mitigate the limited available methods of transportation in DayZ, as Chernarus is a very, very large play area - and the decentralization of points of interest by expanding and redesigning Chernarus into Chernarus Plus meant much more travel was needed. As we look forwards towards 0.59 and beyond, increasing the methods and availability of transportation we'll be scaling back player movement speed (iteratively, not all at once). When it comes to inertia, dexterity, and all of the potential gameplay areas that can have an impact on the player movement, there is most certainly room for improvement. Keep in mind however, we can't start effectively implementing and changing how this works in game until both the new player controller, and animation system are merged in and configured for use by the design team.

That said, we are most definitely interested in improving how the player handles, and expanding the simulation of weight, and dexterity upon the momentum of player characters in motion. The next three months or so should see some marked improvement, and changes to how this is handled.

some very good points here.

bows are way too uneffective right now, glad to hear they will be worked on. can't wait to find that gorgeous laminated one.

the sway mecanism should be tied to breath, intensity tied to the upcoming stamina system. i expect that my aim goes up when i'm breathing in and go down when i'm breathing out. i can predict it IRL, so should i in Dayz.

player speed and inertia should be reworked. i wrote about the unrealistic turning speed of player a few month ago but i didn't thought it would be changed ultimately, very happy to read that. i hope freshies will be less of a threat for gearedplayers in the future. circling unarmed around a player using an rifle should mean 99% chances of death, not the 60-70% we have now. 

i hope we'll hear about Z's in the next SR, finger crossed for them back in 0.60

Edited by Zboub le météor

Hi !

some very good points here.

bows are way too uneffective right now, glad to hear they will be worked on. can't wait to find that gorgeous laminated one.

the sway mecanism should be tied to breath, intensity tied to the upcoming stamina system. i expect that my aim goes up when i'm breathing in and go down when i'm breathing out. i can predict it IRL, so should i in Dayz.

player speed and inertia should be reworked. i wrote about the unrealistic turning speed of player a few month ago but i didn't thought it would be changed ultimately, very happy to read that. i hope freshies will be less of a threat for gearedplayers in the future. circling unarmed around a player using an rifle should mean 99% chances of death, not the 60-70% we have now. 

i hope we'll hear about Z's in the next SR, finger crossed for them back in 0.60

with regards to melee, quite the opposite. they are useless now, since guns in DayZ are easier to find than chocolate in a supermarket.

So I'd rather see less guns, more melee and a geared player should also decide how to pick his fights. I.e. melee weapons should have a certain damage and getting an axe onto your head would knock you out as well, geared or not. I agree, though, if you refer to simple fists, they are overpowered now.

As for Zs, I wholeheartedly agree,

This sounds great. I'm guessing it will need the new animation system and player controller. Maybe along the lines of posture changes to head and chest, and maybe arms/weapon tightness or even hand grip.

Also, I'm starting to see the need for the new (togglable) UI. As I've noticed many players lack understanding of many of the game systems. This will help while still not being in your face. Most of the time it will be toggled off, only checking for quick understanding of what going on.  

Hello there

All good stuff.

Hopefully, this also shows folk who are a little confused by the "scrum" that the feedback isn't all tied into one playstyle.

Rdgs

LoK

Obviously DayZ is known for, and associated with a "hardcore unforgiving survival simulator" - and we want to maintain this moving forward.

All i wanted to hear ;)

...it is important that everyone understands how the [insert feature] system works - both right now, and how it should be operating with 0.59 stable.

I hope that this becomes the standard every time a new feature is introduced.

Great status report - can't wait to hear more about the upcoming scrums.