Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Rocket's contribution

Deans comments, and interviews ect ect, are both what lured me to play dayz, and caused me to really start questioning if the game is really worth investing allot of time playing. Its the truth. Hes said some pretty cool interesting things and some pretty damming things. He also was in no way ready for the success it brought just based on what he said in his own words....or possibly even knew how to handle it..BUT hes not in charge anymore. So I'll watch and wait to see what they do.I am not going to play just watch. Maybe he had the vision, but maybe someone else needs to make that vision to a reality. Who the F knows lol I'm still watching the patches and DayZ TV news..I like what I am seeing!! But maybe not really ready to dive back in head 1st 100s of hours lol I'm just not going to play until it gets closer to completion. So Dean is the founding father, maybe not the guy that saw it all though at the end.

Edited by CJFlint

Actually to add one more thing.  I think part of the problem with the development is that they don't actually seem to have a real grasp on what they want the game to actually be.  It seems like there's a bit of a lack of real leadership among the team any more, and it's just bouncing ideas off each other.  Which isn't necessarily bad (but leads to stuff like the UI mockup) but goes back to what I was saying, about how at least with Rocket there was some sort of goal he had in mind.

Hello there,

Dont forget BI are using a lot of investment to make this game, theyre not gonna throw a couple of devs into a room and say "just do what you like".

Theyll have a very firm idea of what is to come.

Yes, there will be some fluidity and some changes made along the way but one can guarantee that 99pc is already storyboarded out and discussed in depth.

Rdgs

LoK

Actually to add one more thing.  I think part of the problem with the development is that they don't actually seem to have a real grasp on what they want the game to actually be.  It seems like there's a bit of a lack of real leadership among the team any more, and it's just bouncing ideas off each other.  Which isn't necessarily bad (but leads to stuff like the UI mockup) but goes back to what I was saying, about how at least with Rocket there was some sort of goal he had in mind.

If you read rocket's interviews over the past couple of years, you'll realize HE is the one who actually had no idea what to do with this game. He wanted anything and everything in it, even though it was very silly, unpractical or simply not doable. As grateful as I am for the mod, I feel it was a bit of a fluke for him. Its popularity exploded when it was released but it wasn't actually the game he had in mind and lots of his ideas just plain sucked. Rocket leaving is the best thing that could have happened to DayZ IMO.

• Like 1

If you read rocket's interviews over the past couple of years, you'll realize HE is the one who actually had no idea what to do with this game. He wanted anything and everything in it, even though it was very silly, unpractical or simply not doable. As grateful as I am for the mod, I feel it was a bit of a fluke for him. Its popularity exploded when it was released but it wasn't actually the game he had in mind and lots of his ideas just plain sucked. Rocket leaving is the best thing that could have happened to DayZ IMO.

I think that the comparisons of rocket being a grenade are pretty apt and apply here.  I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I do think even with him adding things willy nilly, he still had a general vision of what he wanted the game to be, even if that idea was more of a concept than any specific thing.  I think that's where the current team is having difficulty, is there wasn't really a solid goal for DayZ as a final product and it feels very much like they continually flip flop on what they actually want it to be.  Namely, how loot distribution keeps changing constantly, and how it is hard to pin down what the final goal is there.  Whether a can of beans actually is supposed to be rare or not.  A large amount of that is still due to unfinished mechanics of course, but there is a very real feeling that the team is still indecisive on what they want the end product to look like.

I've actually thought about it before, that likely the SA would be perpetually in alpha essentially if Rocket were still in charge of it because he'd want to constantly be adding new weird things.  I have a great time with the alpha and while I'm not a fan of incomplete products (early access in general has become a blight) but I do think that we would have probably had a more interesting game if it was still under his development.

So I think when DayZ lost Rocket it lost a bit of its soul =P  Now BI is trying to make a finished, marketable product out of it.  We'll have to wait and see how Rocket's new game turns out.  He left of his own accord, and it was best for him and likely best for BI but I'll always remain skeptical that it was best for DayZ.

Most of these thoughts are like looking at and anthill and presenting a supposition of what the entire colony is doing underground.  While it might be fun, it can't be anything other than guesses based on extremely limited information.

anthill.jpg

plaster-down-anthill.jpg

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2

Thank you, I seemed to have missed that that thread.

I do think a lot of the problem there though is just an incomplete loot system still.  They released a map with an intended design of how loot "tiers" should work and I agree with it.

That pretty much nails it. I don't think a barren coast is intentional at all. I think this is the byproduct of the initial CLE system.  I imagine that can be tweaked and will be. 

They seem to have a very solid idea of what they want the game to be imo.  I haven't seen much from the new project lead at all but Hicks has several thousand hours in the SA alone and was a mod junkie like a lot of us.  I have had zero issues with what they've been doing other than those entirely impractical towers in the base building concept art.  Silly things are a death trap.

Anyway, time will tell I suppose.  If they add something people hate I'd expect to see it removed with modding.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

Why haven't we heard from him, Rocket, since?

He is busy making a game out of this...

I say keep those patches coming, keep adding to it, get the glitches ironed out, and finish this god dam game. Dean made his choice, so be it. He moved on, so let him go. Its not his prodject anymore.. He has no control over it anymore, so it kind of dosen't matter.

Also most of us paid 29 bucks for it..........oh boy that hurt my pocket book....100s and 100s of hours played. Too many hours really.....But really that's a pretty dam decent price for what I got out of it. Even if I never come back, I would not feel burned at all, I got a ton of game play time out of it. I would not hold anyone's feet to the coals over it. Honestly I'm not sure if I would even care that much.

My god look at Star Citizen, holy shit. People are forking over $100s even $1000s for a game that may never get released. Its Silly. Promise after promise after promise. I read on PC Gamer people are talking class action lawsuits, because the kolaid/bs wore off for some and now they think it will never get finished. Almost reminds me of a weird cult. There's games out there that had far worse questioning of the developers believe me.    

Dean from my observation as a gamer is a vary complex conflicted man, who might be better at brainstorming crazy ideas then managing a huge prodject anyways. That's just my take from what I read and saw. So let him be that....maybe he will make some more games, or come up with even more revolutionary ideas. More power to him. TIME will be the true judge of DayZ though.

Edited by CJFlint

People who KOS out of fear and self preservation sure.

People who gear up go looking for trouble die and complain about not being able to gear up quick enough are. They're not playing a survival game they're playing an FPS on a big map with disregard for the permadeath concept that us playing as a survival game take seriously.

It's my opinion / experience that the fear group account for the vast majority.

Sounds about right. I don't know much about Dean but I doubt he has any history of game design. My understanding is that DayZ was floundering while he was on the team and then looked better when he left. He had one idea - and it was a really good idea - but he doesn't (or didn't at the time) have the experience to lead a team of professionals.

Rocket's original vision of the game is sort of irrelevant at this point. I like the direction that DayZ is headed in currently, and I'm going to like it even more when modding becomes a thing and the community can tweak the game to suit specific playstyles. If DayZ's current direction wasn't Rocket's vision then yeah, him leaving was probably good for DayZ.

It's my opinion / experience that the fear group account for the vast majority.

"you are dead"

What percentage of the time do you get any insight into why someone chose to show you that message across a black screen?

Anecdotaly I agree there's a lot of it, I'm cautious and easily avoid KOS squads and out of my maybe 10-15 deaths to other players I have been apologized to and heard "you scared the shit out of me" more than a few times but there is also a good number of the "where's the good gear?" crowd out there. 

I was basing the opinion on the players of all different walks i have had contact with, be it from forum contacts or people met in game. It is not meant to be evidence of a fact, just the basis for an opinion. I rarely get much insight into why someone just gave me the "you are dead" scene, but as you're well aware that isn't the only way to communicate with other people who play the game :rolleyes:. Anyway what i've heard from most i've spoken to has been along the lines of "i really like the idea of banding together with randomers, it's just they'll probably kill me and take my stuff if i don't do it first". I've also felt the same way, and although i still make an effort to create some content rather than shooting everyone on sight i can totally relate to the one's who don't take the risk. The issue with the current trend is that this kind of attitude perpetuates itself.

• Like 1

You either die as a hero or live long enough to become the villian.

• Like 1

I was basing the opinion on the players of all different walks i have had contact with, be it from forum contacts or people met in game. It is not meant to be evidence of a fact, just the basis for an opinion. I rarely get much insight into why someone just gave me the "you are dead" scene, but as you're well aware that isn't the only way to communicate with other people who play the game :rolleyes:. Anyway what i've heard from most i've spoken to has been along the lines of "i really like the idea of banding together with randomers, it's just they'll probably kill me and take my stuff if i don't do it first". I've also felt the same way, and although i still make an effort to create some content rather than shooting everyone on sight i can totally relate to the one's who don't take the risk. The issue with the current trend is that this kind of attitude perpetuates itself.

That's a hard mentality to tackle, but i do feel from a game design perspective there are 3 elements the developers can directly change or modify that play into this.

1. Character progression. the video talking about the 'soft skills' really gives me hope on this front. One of the major issues in dayZ is your value is that of your items. There is no reason to submit to a robber/bandit because your actual life has no ACTUAL value. you can just respawn and either meet friends, go to your stash, or regear the old fashioned way.

2. Abundance of everything marginalizes risk/reward. The risk of potentially loosing a fire fight is nothing compared to the potential gains if the guy had good stuff. If i had my way have a Military grade weapon and just 5 bullets would be the pinnacle of uber-geared.

3. Character Customization. I'd like to See RPG level character customization.. the the point that you can uniquely identify a player by their character. something similar to skyrim's character creation at least would be nice. (don't make this save-able either) this combined with sof-skills i think would create more of an 'attachment' to your avatar and not just the stuff in your pack.

If you make a minor progression system of soft skills that improves your efficiency/ease of existence without directly effecting anything that is a mater of player-skill- then create loot disparity so dieing SUCKS, and a deep character creator i think you can finally start to have people value their character over just a few items. ultimately it will take some players 'having the balls' to attempt interaction with randoms to break the cycle- but doing so should be benefical for all involved. I'd like mechanics to move away from all players being "potentially deadly self-defending loot containers."

• Like 2

3. Character Customization. I'd like to See RPG level character customization.. the the point that you can uniquely identify a player by their character. something similar to skyrim's character creation at least would be nice.

This is what I would love to see as well. Fully customizable character designs. Heck even ones with flaws to make them physically not perfect. Deformations in the face, eyes, nose, limbs/no limbs etc. Could you imagine how much more tougher and iron willed you'd have to be in order to be crippled and ACTUALLY survive and make a living in an apocalypse scenario?