boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.58 Discussion

Actually no, I didn't make a direct line there. Like I said, I spent over an hour and a half travelling back to NWAF and searched damn near every building I came across along the way.

Doesn't sound like you spent much time in any place considering the time it takes to bee line it to NWAF. Things are there if you look for them. Or, if you happen to have taken a popular route to NWAF, it was probably looted by the several other people making the same trip. I spawned in Balota and have spent most of my day there and in Cherno - this is on a pretty full server. It took a long time, but I'm energized and hydrated, got myself situated with an improvised satchel, a shotgun, a flashlight, a couple of batteries, plenty of food and water, cooking gear, raincoat, skater helmet, cargo pants, workboots and an axe. Came across and avoided two squads running through Cherno.

This game is going to prove difficult for those who choose to run to the NWAF right away - I mean, it's an approach to the game, I'm not knocking it... but it's just going to be harder with the loot system now. This game now requires you to pretty much check every building you can. CLE is a game changer.

Edited by entspeak

This game is going to prove difficult for those who choose to run to the NWAF right away - I mean, it's an approach to the game, I'm not knocking it... but it's just going to be harder with the loot system now. This game now requires you to pretty much check every building you can. CLE is a game changer.

Yet EVERY single post that people make in response to the age old "Where do I find loot?" question is little more than "Run northwest or to NWAF, get off the coast because there is no loot there!" Unfortunately the same can be said about the NWAF and every other town in between, around and nowhere near. There is simply no loot on the map.

I started playing fresh on a different server a little over an hour ago. I spawned in Berezino and so far I have ran from Berezino -> Gorka -> Polana -> Shakhovka, searching every house along the way and so far I have found a Rider's Jacket, 2 cans of food and a Splitting Axe. There are 30 people on the server and it is a private hive. Are you going to tell me that my path I have taken that completely avoids NWAF or any other high-end spots and goes in a ridiculous circular path that makes absolutely no sense has recently been travelled and looted as well? That seems highly unlikely, yet here I am, finding barely enough food to keep myself from starving and not a damn thing else.

Yet EVERY single post that people make in response to the age old "Where do I find loot?" question is little more than "Run northwest or to NWAF, get off the coast because there is no loot there!" Unfortunately the same can be said about the NWAF and every other town in between, around and nowhere near. There is simply no loot on the map.

I started playing fresh on a different server a little over an hour ago. I spawned in Berezino and so far I have ran from Berezino -> Gorka -> Polana -> Shakhovka, searching every house along the way and so far I have found a Rider's Jacket, 2 cans of food and a Splitting Axe. There are 30 people on the server and it is a private hive. Are you going to tell me that my path I have taken that completely avoids NWAF or any other high-end spots and goes in a ridiculous circular path that makes absolutely no sense has recently been travelled and looted as well? That seems highly unlikely, yet here I am, finding barely enough food to keep myself from starving and not a damn thing else.

I don't know what to tell you. I've spent all day in Cherno and am full and stocked with all the basic gear I need to survive. Even found a combat knife back not long after I spawned in Komorovo. (hadn't seen one for a very long time.) So, luck always comes into play. But it's false to say there's no loot on the map. It's there. Just have to be thorough and lucky. I just passed a new spawn in Cherno and he's gonna have a tough time because I've checked pretty much every building and ate everything there. But, it was definitely there... I just happened to eat it all. So, that guy got dealt a bad hand. Nature of DayZ.

But, even I have had a hard time finding some things - took me all day to find a battery, and a pen, the one piece of paper I found was bugged. Now, I'm on the hunt for a hacksaw - of which there are none in Cherno on this server at the moment - I know because I looked... either none were here or someone got it before me. Such is life.

Edited by entspeak
  • Like 2

Was bugged last time I tried in exp. Put both in the barrel, close it, you'll have an option to tan leather. 

Pleas post your results if you do.

Yay, stupid me. I overlooked the option on the barrel itself. It worked! A single deer pelt actually yielded me 6 tanned leather(s) while only costing 30% of the garden lime.

Afterwards I collected around 8 or more pieces of tree bark to color the backpack brown, sadly it just consumed the bark and the pack stayed tan (already made a bug report).

On that note, the inventory is incredibly laggy... all that I have is one barrel and two backpacks in a 100m radius. You really have to be careful with campsize or its gonna create a bubble of inventory lag and sessions lost.

Edited by jayfkay
  • Like 2

I would like to play on this server, every one I've tried loot is everywhere evenly. Even if there is signs of survivors it's not as you are describing (four items in 4 towns). You have got to be exaggerating. If not, I want to play there, sounds fun.

Wonder if that lag is the reason why sometimes I'll be traveling through random forested areas of the map and BAM massive lag/fps loss. I check gpu, connection up/down speeds, packet loss, and cpu workload when it happens for any spikes indicating something on my end. Nothing shows out of the normal. Hmmmm. Might be a way to know if you're near someone camp currently.

Edited by ZogVarnoka
  • Like 2

Wonder if that lag is the reason why sometimes I'll be traveling through random forested areas of the map and BAM massive lag/fps loss. I check gpu, connection up/down speeds, packet loss, and cpu workload when it happens for any spikes indicating something on my end. Nothing shows out of the normal. Hmmmm. Might be a way to know if you're near someone camp currently.

If it's more of a "sputter" then that is in fact quite common even on high end machines. Lasts about 3 seconds or so? 

FPS will drop down to single digits, inventory won't open/close, character doesn't respond to movement input. Last from 3-5 seconds usually. Sometimes it will go up to 30 seconds, but that has only happened twice.

FPS will drop down to single digits, inventory won't open/close, character doesn't respond to movement input. Last from 3-5 seconds usually. Sometimes it will go up to 30 seconds, but that has only happened twice.

All of these happening here as well.

The FPS drops are literally freezing the game here lmao. Here it  seems to happen more often the more I play. Have to quit the game and open it back to reduce the freezing, but its not really working tbh

Edited by Avant-Garde

The FPS drops are literally freezing the game here lmao. Here it  seems to happen more often the more I play. Have to quit the game and open it back to reduce the freezing, but its not really working tbh

The lag as time goes on is a memory leak, if you're in the 4gig of memory or less club you'll have to restart the game every couple hours or it gets bad. Mine just filled all my ram in 2 hours 9 minutes, I get about 3 hours if I'm not recording video.

• Like 2

The lag as time goes on is a memory leak, if you're in the 4gig of memory or less club you'll have to restart the game every couple hours or it gets bad. Mine just filled all my ram in 2 hours 9 minutes, I get about 3 hours if I'm not recording video.

Makes a lot of sense tbh. I'll try to restart the game more often see if it gets better!

For the guys having loot problems, the cities of Krasnoe and Stari Yar had more loot then I can take, shitload of food/clothes/civ weapons/melee/drinks/bags... I love these shitty cities lol, no one ever goes there it seems. But that tank convoy that is over those areas were completely empty, not even trash loot. Idk if its worth to go there, does someone had a different experience with that place?

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

Makes a lot of sense tbh. I'll try to restart the game more often see if it gets better!

For the guys having loot problems, the cities of Krasnoe and Stari Yar had more loot then I can take, shitload of food/clothes/civ weapons/melee/drinks/bags... I love these shitty cities lol, no one ever goes there it seems. But that tank convoy that is over those areas were completely empty, not even trash loot. Idk if its worth to go there, does someone had a different experience with that place?

All vehicle wrecks that don't have interactive parts like doors that open have their loot turned off right now.

I did see a gas can on a ural truck front fender that would have been tough for a player to place but could be I guess.

• Like 1

All vehicle wrecks that don't have interactive parts like doors that open have their loot turned off right now.

I did see a gas can on a ural truck front fender that would have been tough for a player to place but could be I guess.

This makes sense man, I found absolutely 0 loot there, big disappointment as I walked A LOT from Rify to devlands and that was my reference to get there. At least it was a fun ride until devlands, then it was boring lol, but since I choose to not use outside of the game maps thats one of the best references I think to find those tanks. Oh well, got rewarded with beautiful pump action shotgun at that industrial place between Stary Yar and Krasnoe, plus ammo and a lot more good stuff!

Can't say it was a bad or unfunny ride, now I'm at the holy quest to find a Gorka helmet + that new gas mask and look as close as possible to this:

NodMiningunner.jpg

AW YIS Brotherhood of nod light infantry! What else gas masks are good for lol, already found a grey cargo pants, a black rain coat and a red armband, close enough tbh

I really wanted grey camouflage so I could look elite as fuck like this guy:

E1.jpg

Notice how he blends with the environment and is almost invisible. Yeah, such is the Brotherhood.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

But that tank convoy that is over those areas were completely empty, not even trash loot. Idk if its worth to go there, does someone had a different experience with that place?

This is the exact same situation as with the jail houses. Loot spawns have been switched off at these locations, pending the implementation of regional loot control.

• Like 2

I am not seeing abnormal/unexpected drops, or freezes in this build, but my overall FPS is dramatically lower than usual. A few builds back, when the zeds were plentiful, I could go to the Northern most edge of the map, look out over the wasteland and see 190FPS. After the zeds were dramatically reduced, I could go to "my spot" at the Northern edge and see 120FPS. In this build, I'm only seeing 80FPS.

This equates to about 25-29FPS in towns, instead of the 50+ that I had before.

If significant quantities of zeds were in the game now, it would probably be unplayable, without significant config file compromises.

Yep, and I bet this is related to this issue (mainly for 32bit systems but on 64bit as well)

https://feedback.dayz.com/view.php?id=17013(read comments)

I am not seeing abnormal/unexpected drops, or freezes in this build, but my overall FPS is dramatically lower than usual. A few builds back, when the zeds were plentiful, I could go to the Northern most edge of the map, look out over the wasteland and see 190FPS. After the zeds were dramatically reduced, I could go to "my spot" at the Northern edge and see 120FPS. In this build, I'm only seeing 80FPS.

This equates to about 25-29FPS in towns, instead of the 50+ that I had before.

If significant quantities of zeds were in the game now, it would probably be unplayable, without significant config file compromises.

I'm finding the same with a 980ti. 

• Like 1

Next time you experience the memory leak press LEFT SHIFT and the MINUS (-) sign on the keypad and type FLUSH, maybe it will help (reloads textures)

• Like 4

So don't know if I'm just being dumb but I tried to fill my truck worth gas and the canister remains at 67%???

I go about the most random ways, to the most remote places possible, and still the buildings are usually mostly devoid of items to take with me. And every day I pay a visit to several military hotspots. Going there is quite dangerous, and it at least comes with the expectation that they're either empty, or that you get lucky. So imagine my long face as I just keep finding skirts, grampas coats, books, bikers helmets and other such bonbons. But yay-me I found a hunting scope - in a chicken feed. Got the fuzzy feeling that this loot thing isn't working right.

On a full server like Eldorado, ... places are constantly picked clean. There's just garbage leftovers, and they never get cleaned up by the server to be replaced with something (hopefully not totally) random, and new. I've got friends on it who are days in, playing, and got "lucky" with childrens briefcases, and if at all, and maybe a few shells for the gun they'll never find.

So all in all. Sure - when the server just started, everything is hunky dory. Run, Forest, run. Grab all the stuff before anyone else comes. Because if anyone was there before you, you can grow a long grey beard until the server considers spawning something halfway decent there again. It'll be like rummaging through empty sock drawers to find scraps of cheese.

Thanks for the replies guys about the lag/freeze issue. really appreciate it. I'll try the flush thing next time it happens.

I go about the most random ways, to the most remote places possible, and still the buildings are usually mostly devoid of items to take with me. And every day I pay a visit to several military hotspots. Going there is quite dangerous, and it at least comes with the expectation that they're either empty, or that you get lucky. So imagine my long face as I just keep finding skirts, grampas coats, books, bikers helmets and other such bonbons. But yay-me I found a hunting scope - in a chicken feed. Got the fuzzy feeling that this loot thing isn't working right.

On a full server like Eldorado, ... places are constantly picked clean. There's just garbage leftovers, and they never get cleaned up by the server to be replaced with something (hopefully not totally) random, and new. I've got friends on it who are days in, playing, and got "lucky" with childrens briefcases, and if at all, and maybe a few shells for the gun they'll never find.

So all in all. Sure - when the server just started, everything is hunky dory. Run, Forest, run. Grab all the stuff before anyone else comes. Because if anyone was there before you, you can grow a long grey beard until the server considers spawning something halfway decent there again. It'll be like rummaging through empty sock drawers to find scraps of cheese.

Nope seems like it is working as intended. Loot is spawning, just in your opinion, not "halfway decent". This is how it is supposed to be. Gone are the days of easy weapons, ammo for everyone, and drybags everywhere. And believe it or not, weapons and ammo, espicially mil gear and high end civilian stuff, is only gonna get rarer as per Hicks at Pax Prime.

• Like 3

I like the idea of not everyone having everything. Makes for a challenge, doesn't it? ;)

Nope seems like it is working as intended. Loot is spawning, just in your opinion, not "halfway decent". This is how it is supposed to be. Gone are the days of easy weapons, ammo for everyone, and drybags everywhere. And believe it or not, weapons and ammo, espicially mil gear and high end civilian stuff, is only gonna get rarer as per Hicks at Pax Prime.

hopefully so - time to change from WalMart simulator to survival experience again.

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 5

.58 has been such a blast so far, a real breath of fresh air since the .57 patch. Seeing people complaining about not finding anything for 60+ buildings seems weird, as I have been leaving food behind in my travels because I am stuffed and have too much of it in my inventory! My friend and I shot and held up a guy at NWAF today and after begging for his life, he said that he was just looking for food. I found this strange as I had stockpiled more than enough in my journey to NWAF, but I gave him some food and all was well. LOVE the .58 patch in total, though. The lack of zombies is the only drawback. Finding people up north again makes me so happy :')

• Like 1

Do boats spawn netting? Just checked out 8 boats and none of them had any loot. Private server.

Do boats spawn netting? Just checked out 8 boats and none of them had any loot. Private server.

Dynamicly spawning ones do. Static ones probably not.

Watching the PAX interview something in particular striked me: The massive gains in server performance! It really felt a lot better in 58 already, but its great to have numbers to it.

Him mentioning the server framerate, in 55 it actually would drop down to just 5 frames per second... which immediately explains the crazy desync. According to him they bumped it up to an average of 10-15 in 57 and in 58 the goal was to have it AT LEAST be 20 and ideally around 25-30.

Compared to 55, that is a goddamn 4-5 times better server performance! This plays a HUGE role in player interaction, object interaction and is extremely noticeable in gunfights etc.