Sign in to follow this  
veteranninja

NEW BOW!

Okay.

Bows>Guns?

That's exactly why we bow to our indigenous North American overlords, lol.

• Like 5

YCsmGnT.jpg

Recurve hunting bow. This will be a step up from the improvised ashwood bow and will sit in the mid range archery tier below the crossbow.

Now to figure out how recurve sights work and if we can visually represent them...

https://trello.com/c/Yzq5pNSS/53-weapon-related-art

• Like 8

i hope there will be an cute animation when "the bowman" catched my bullet with his teeth  :rolleyes:

I guess this'll be my new weapon of choice! Honestly I can't wait for this to be implemented :)

Bows>Guns?

That's exactly why we bow to our indigenous North American overlords, lol.

*shrug*

It's quiet, as in Zombies don't aggro at all, and even the improvised is a one shot kill on any zombie. I can make endless arrows without ever going near a town. I've even killed those armed with guns with an Improvised Bow... but it's not easy and you have to get the drop on them since you can't move and do a full draw at the same time.

Once the devs put in the moving animations and guns/ammo goes back to be less common the Bow will have a better place. I know a few times in experimental builds where loot wasn't spawning very well I had a bow with 20+ arrows in about 20 minutes while other people were running around trying to find a firearm with ammo. 

• Like 1

Meh, a laminated recurve would not be my choice for survival-purposes.

They need to "improve" the Improvised Bow, not add a whole new type, IMO.

Case in point: the other week I made a self-bow, carved from a single Birch sapling. It draws at least 60lbs at 18 inches, and shoots flat, fast, and hard. Better yet, if I breaks, I can make another one in about a day.

VS

A laminated recurve or compound, which when it breaks, it is useless.

I prefer "reliability" (aka ease of use, ease of maintenance, ability to make more, etc) to "functionality" (aka power, effectiveness, etc) every day of the week.

I agree. I want to "reliably" shoot someone dead, steal their ammo, and then be able to shoot even more people.

That thing has "improvised explosive arrow" written all over it :). 

That thing has "improvised explosive arrow" written all over it :). 

Sounds good,but is it realistically possible?

A functioning explosive arrow would require a moderately large amount of explosive compound.

Even if we somehow manage to craft it,wouldn't the increased weight affect the arrow's flight distance and piercing force?

Then comes the question of making the said arrow,explode upon impact.

What kind of mechanism would be required?

And also,would it be possible crafting one using only makeshift materials?

• Like 1

I agree. I want to "reliably" shoot someone dead, steal their ammo, and then be able to shoot even more people.

"reliable" was a poor choice of words. "Sustainable" is a better choice.

Sounds good,but is it realistically possible?

A functioning explosive arrow would require a moderately large amount of explosive compound.

Even if we somehow manage to craft it,wouldn't the increased weight affect the arrow's flight distance and piercing force?

Then comes the question of making the said arrow,explode upon impact.

What kind of mechanism would be required?

And also,would it be possible crafting one using only makeshift materials?

It would add more to do like for the devs unless they give us a military grade one. 

But this is one example. Most the parts are already in game. 

If there is one shell i would like to be able to "mess" with, it would have to be the shotgun shell, with ball berrings added to it. :D. KABOOOOM!!!!

Edited by A.I.C

It looks like a Shakespear. Nice.

NO NO NO! This is a Shakespear.

220px-The_Modernity_of_Shakespeare.jpg

Oh Shakespear, you and your Stone age Ipod.......

• Like 1

Meh, a laminated recurve would not be my choice for survival-purposes.

They need to "improve" the Improvised Bow, not add a whole new type, IMO.

I believe the ideal is balance. You can make one, but it won't be as good as finding a rare factory-made one. [e.g. the improvised silencer]

But I also believe you in making an RL actual decent quality imp bow. The improvised bow in the game really needs some work.

Any updates about the new Bow? The Improvised Bow is not really usable atm.

Ive never killed a player with the improvised bow and ive tried. Its utterly useless. Hopefully this will be better. The crossbow is alright I guess but the range of these weapons is really too low. In reality you could hit a target with a bow or crossbow at 100 m but the ones in game simply are useless beyond 20 metres or so.

• Like 1

Ive killed around 10 guys with the bow at ranges over 60 meters. But that was in 0.58 and 0.59 seems to have messed up the bow.

It was useful, until you could only load one arrow at a time and cant reload with the hotbar.

Edited by Milansson1