ColdAtrophy

DayZ SA Modding: A New Map

It's not like it'll make a huge difference to the vanilla population in the long run.

The mod begs to differ

The mod begs to differ

I meant in that the number of people who play vanilla will not be significantly higher for a very long time if the devs suddenly decided modding would never come to standalone. The vast majority of people who play with mods would just leave and go play another game - very few would stay and play vanilla just because that's all that was available. Some might, but for the most part it's just pushing away players.

If there were only vanilla DayZ mod servers, there would not be nearly as many people playing is my point.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

The mod begs to differ

I never played the mod but it seems to me that just about everyone here did. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the greatest fracturing of the community came from the release of the Standalone rather than the release of mods of the mod?

I never played the mod but it seems to me that just about everyone here did. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the greatest fracturing of the community came from the release of the Standalone rather than the release of mods of the mod?

Hackers were the biggest reason for the drop in player numbers.  Modding the mod just finished it off.

Here is my idea. Make a big city in the center of the map with destroyed appartment buildings and rubble overrun military checkpoints with tanks. then add a forrest around it and add smaller cities in the forest and a jail like in the walking dead with a railroad that connects the cities and maybe Terminus aswell.

With the recent talk of full Steam Workshop integration and modding for DayZ SA, I began to think about the possibilities this presents for us. Of particular interest to me is the idea of creating a new map. In my mind, a lot of the initial fun I had with DayZ came from exploring the map and discovering all of the unique and interesting things the world has to offer. So, with that in mind, I have decided to begin the design process for a new map. I want to begin the earliest phase now, the part where a lot gets written/scratched/scribbled/typed/spoken about, while mod tools are not yet available.

I will also likely begin looking for help from other community members with experience in modding and 3D modeling as the initial design phase comes to a close, so if you are interested in participating, please feel free to PM me.

For now, however, I'm interested in doing some brainstorming on overall themes. I want to know what kind of map you fellow DayZ enthusiasts would simply go nuts over. At this point, no idea is too bold. If you have an idea, mention it. This is not the part where we say that something is too big to implement, too little to make it worthwhile, too difficult, etc. Any and every idea can lend to a design decision at any point in development. The ideas in posts that have the highest number of beans given will later be put into a new thread and a poll, so make sure to give beans when you like an idea. Above all, please be respectful and remember to have fun with this. Go nuts!  :P

I'm not American but I think America is a good way to go. There are so many films and books set there that it's likely to inspire anyone (most people I know, including me, would love to do a coast to coast road trip). If you haven't already read 'The Stand' I'd recommend it for inspiration. I've recently read it and a few features of the landscape that stayed with me strongly include long dark tunnels, massive immobile traffic jams (with associated loot), arid featureless desert (Nevada) and the idea that people would be drawn to major conurbations. 

'Lucifer's Hammer' and 'Station Eleven' would also be worthwhile for research. None of these books feature zombies (or infected...) though! 

Another thought - lore is very important to a lot of people and so maybe it would be establishing that as integral part of the project. 'Elite' fans will understand this if they have read 'The Dark Wheel'.

Edited by jefc_uk
  • Like 1

I was going to try to stay away from talking about my own ideas too, too much until a discussion really got going, but your suggestion touched on something kicking around in my head for awhile that might actually be able to satisfy a lot of the more common suggestions from the forums.

A snow covered map. A 15 level hidden miltary complex in and under a mountain. Rural sleepy mountain towns nestled around the mountain range. A transition to lower altitude. Plains eventually becoming miles of suburbia and a large city.

I'm thinking Colorado I guess. Colorado Springs fits these ideas perfectly.

2Scq4ow.jpg

6z4l0bc.jpg

C4u1RiD.jpg

g0mOeyj.jpg

t5xuN7c.jpg

The top photo is def Norad from WarZ

I would love to see a map called "Black Forest" Its a rarely populated area in south west germany. 

9KWXavB.jpg

pmhT7M6.jpg

2MuMucd.jpg QCiIE9N.jpg 0uQUxFo.jpg 3Gr4SfM.jpg vcBi6sj.jpg

The only problem is that its really hard to find firearms in Germany. There are very hard rules for owning them. But I love this type of envoirnement and there could be some snowy areas. And its rarely populated for Germany, compared to Canada its high populated :) Everywhere are little shacks, barns, hiking paths and villages.

Edited by imun
  • Like 1

I would go with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. theme as the game already fits all the environment. It would be real fun to survive in Pripyat or Chernobyl.

Edited by Deniz1467

I'd really like to see a The Road esque mod where zombies are removed, loot is so rare that you shit yourself over a can of beans and we have to eat each other to survive.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see a big rural area with snowy mountains, and small towns all over the map, civilian weaponry would be more common, and maybe people would need to hunt in order to obtain food, vehicles would be important too, it would be interesting to design a high security prison with military loot too.

Evereytime i hear someone say something like "But in that country its very difficult to find firearms", come on guys, what about the police stations, the national army crumbled too, were did all their weapons go? We are talking about a zombie apocalypse, maybe even the government started to give away weapons to the civilians at their last try to save their country.

I for one am torn on the modding issue. I absolutely love the idea of a new map with differing temperatures. Think Namalsk meets Chernarus.

Then, I remember the days of the mod where the community was divided so many times with each new mod that came out. I'm not looking forward to servers with 5-6 people in them on a new 270Km2 map.

I for one will be hosting my own server. One where canned food is near non-existent, one where animal spawns are slightly increased and you're forced to live on the land. One where weather harshness and sickness will be increased. Chances are survival are based on how you value your life. No more sprinting for 30 minutes in the rain to get to a city.

Edited by DanicaHamlin

Being British, I think the whole U.S. theme has been done to death. Yeah sure it's so popular because it's essentially the source of main stream western media, but that aside, surely I can't be the only one fed up running around another rehashed mashup version of an American city? It's been done in so many games, albeit maybe not in this setting.

I'd love to see some central Europe themed maps. I'd love to run around somewhere like Paris, London or my home city Glasgow. The possibilities are endless but I know that once modding is available there will be lots of new variations, I just hope thre's a good enough variation.

• Like 3

Being British, I think the whole U.S. theme has been done to death. Yeah sure it's so popular because it's essentially the source of main stream western media, but that aside, surely I can't be the only one fed up running around another rehashed mashup version of an American city? It's been done in so many games, albeit maybe not in this setting.

I'd love to see some central Europe themed maps. I'd love to run around somewhere like Paris, London or my home city Glasgow. The possibilities are endless but I know that once modding is available there will be lots of new variations, I just hope thre's a good enough variation.

Paris would be amazing . Think of the Eiffel tower or the slums that is the sky scraping ghetto apartments that would be great for firefights !

• Like 1

or my home city Glasgow.

Syringes are in!  ;)

• Like 2

I would like to see a map that crossed the best features of Bornholm and Chernarus. I absolutely cannot stand the crap maps in ArmA 3; everything is practically open desert. It's like all the worst Battlefield maps rolled into one: There's zero cover from tanks, helicopters, airplanes, or snipers.

Chern has a nice mix of forest, field, and city/town, but Bornholm for ArmA 3 has a nice blend of all three; there are hilly towns with man-made and natural cover and good, consistent tree cover. Ever since I first played it I wanted to see a DayZ version. I'd like it to borrow from Chernarus's Russian leftovers, with BMP wrecks and military installations and whatnot. It would need another airport or military base or something to prevent high-level focus on one spot of the map. The best part of its design, though, is that I think spawns near the center will be disorienting but not drop players off right next to a fully-loaded AK and bullet proof vest.

I would like to see a map that crossed the best features of Bornholm and Chernarus. I absolutely cannot stand the crap maps in ArmA 3; everything is practically open desert. It's like all the worst Battlefield maps rolled into one: There's zero cover from tanks, helicopters, airplanes, or snipers.

Besides snipers I doubt you'll be dealing with any of those other things (well, not often, that is.)

But I do agree that while Altis had epic scale and quite a few interesting locations, for the most part it was relatively flat and featureless desert. I still see potential for a desert map, but it just has to be like the Australia map for ArmA 3 (varied terrain) or even Takistan, which had a lot of vertical gameplay in the towns and also large mountains and valleys that meant you could sneak around on foot easily, but if in a vehicle you were very prone to ambush, which seems like a fair tradeoff to me.

This is speaking from a mod perspective though, I'd really prefer if the devs ever decide to do a new map that it actually be new and not something from another one of their games or an "official" version of a community map. With modding I'm sure we'll see both new and ported terrain.

-snip-

I'm not interested in seeing official versions of community maps, either. I was simply giving examples of what kinds of terrains I like and what makes them fun to play; I agree completely that new maps should be new.

Regardless this is the DayZ SA *Modding* map thread, not a Bohemia Interactive request forum. I would say that I'd expect more out of BI, but after ArmA 3 I'd rather see them make an official version of Bornholm than this new jungle map of theirs.

• Like 1

I would love to see a map with varying altitudes and weather for those areas. We already kind of have the temperature mechanics in place, now we just need the map!

I absolutely loved Namalsk for the cold weather reason, but I'd love to see a map where you don't have to pick the map based on the weather you want. One where the north is blanketed in snow and the south is scorching hot (yes, I realize that this conflicts with the solstice). One where we can see mountains, and even scale them to various points of interest, or make a long trek south and end up looting a run down beach town. Frosty Pines on the ISS map was very different to see, I just loved the feel seeing the run down ski lifts against the snow covered mountain.

This is what I'd love to see. That, and a map more current. I love DayZ, but the 1945 vibe just doesn't do it for me.  Something where there's a large city, but plenty of rural are for those to setup camp or do small town looting and live off of the land.

Not endorsing the game at all, but I also loved Boulder City. It looked so modern. Yes, I'm aware that the game was not very good. I'm just using it as an example.

500px-Boulderw.jpg?version=cff1dcc84c764

You have no power here, foul demon!!!!

-wants dayz to be more like *vomit* warz

• Like 3

I am just going to assume you're posting this right now just to be super sure you don't forget in the future? Maybe?

(Modding isn't supported for DayZ SA yet, but it is planned)

Surely in due time.  I'm under the assumption modders are chomping at the bit for the flood gates to open on player created content.  Until then, I'll just keep running around in L4D2 with my Nicholas Cage flashlight anxiously waiting for it to appear in DayZ.