ColdAtrophy

DayZ SA Modding: A New Map

With the recent talk of full Steam Workshop integration and modding for DayZ SA, I began to think about the possibilities this presents for us. Of particular interest to me is the idea of creating a new map. In my mind, a lot of the initial fun I had with DayZ came from exploring the map and discovering all of the unique and interesting things the world has to offer. So, with that in mind, I have decided to begin the design process for a new map. I want to begin the earliest phase now, the part where a lot gets written/scratched/scribbled/typed/spoken about, while mod tools are not yet available.

I will also likely begin looking for help from other community members with experience in modding and 3D modeling as the initial design phase comes to a close, so if you are interested in participating, please feel free to PM me.

For now, however, I'm interested in doing some brainstorming on overall themes. I want to know what kind of map you fellow DayZ enthusiasts would simply go nuts over. At this point, no idea is too bold. If you have an idea, mention it. This is not the part where we say that something is too big to implement, too little to make it worthwhile, too difficult, etc. Any and every idea can lend to a design decision at any point in development. The ideas in posts that have the highest number of beans given will later be put into a new thread and a poll, so make sure to give beans when you like an idea. Above all, please be respectful and remember to have fun with this. Go nuts!  :P

EDIT: Looking for a texture artist and a scripter. If you are a patient individual with the skill set needed, shoot me a message so we can talk. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 15

Seeing as it's a Bohemia Interactive game, I am almost 100% sure it's gonna use visitor 4 and the other BIS tools.

• Like 1

Seeing as it's a Bohemia Interactive game, I am almost 100% sure it's gonna use visitor 4 and the other BIS tools.

I have no experience with modding Bohemia games, but I'm 100% sure I will be able to learn. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll begin looking into those tools now to be better prepared.

1 word: America. Make a suburbia/urban area map, M4's in every house, because thats how we roll, and mod in some American muscle cars, and I'll play that shit till the day i die.

• Like 5

1 word: America. Make a suburbia/urban area map, M4's in every house, because thats how we roll, and mod in some American muscle cars, and I'll play that shit till the day i die.

If you want to find m4 in every house it would need to be a rural area

• Like 1

Thanks for your contribution. I'm not sure how much I will go into altering the gameplay and item balance versus Bohemia's final defaults, but, of course, going with an American map would definitely require the addition of some very obviously awesome items. This has some really great potential.

• Like 2

Technically it would be AR-15s as M4s are not legal to own for most people but AR-15s are everywhere. 

• Like 2

I dont think that words means what you think it means

I would like to see if it would be possible to port over the maps from fallout either new vegas or DC and expand their borders to match the size of chernarus.

I think every zombie fan would love a huge shopping mall complex a la Dawn of the Dead....not sure how practical it would be to build.

• Like 12

I think every zombie fan would love a huge shopping mall complex a la Dawn of the Dead....not sure how practical it would be to build.

Now that is an amazing idea. 

• Like 1

I haven't really had much experience with modding anything, but I plan on starting my modding experience with DayZ once it's implemented. 

Can't wait for this great feature to come into play.

Technically it would be AR-15s as M4s are not legal to own for most people but AR-15s are everywhere.

They are perfectly legal to own if you have the money/patience. It's actually a very easy process, just have to get permission from your local sheriff and send the feds a couple hundred bucks for the tax stamp and wait for it to arrive. Then you have to shell out big bucks for the rifle cause civilians have to pay roughly 10x what the military does for an m4.

Edited by hellcat420

It'd definitely beat Canada; keep walking north until the zombies chasing you freeze solid -- then contend with the more dangerous polar bears. B)

• Like 2

1- Manhattan :p not feasible but tons of pistols and SMGs, shotguns and Shanks.

2- Suburban America with parks and forest scattered, and a river. Center is a massive gated community. Pistols, shotguns, rifles.

3- Somewhere down here in good ole Georgia :3 throw in Muscle cars, bigass trucks, General Lee is a must. Hunting rifles and shotguns everywhere alot of ARs and the occasional AK.

4- A map ENTIRELY indoors. Something like the Mall of America. Or even a massive prison complex. Pistols and melee are king

Edited by Owen.
  • Like 1

Not all rural areas have AR-15s or m4s, mainly the city folk in my neck of the woods own them. Mostly hunting rifles, shotguns, black powder rifles, pistols and smaller varmint rifles in my experience. I'm sure there are some gun enthusiasts around here that possess them but price keeps people from buying them

Take on Helicopters Seattle map would be great....shame none of the buildings are enterable and it has lo res textures when you get too close though.

A map that involves the USA gov't closing off a city that is infected. A team of survivors venture off into the city to find people alive and not infected.

It can be a bridge, water crossing, or highway into the city.

Another idea is using the movie themes some. Having a city that has been burned, rubble weeds growing out of the roads etc... Military tried to hold it back and contain it, but was unable to. We could have spawn points around that or inside the city.

Many ideas but most of us from North America will pick USA or some where in NA we are used to.

Since USA have many of the larger cities with skyscrapers it would become much easier to modify.

I wish you the best luck, and would be willing to help build from your map a M3editor style theme and host it. But that's the best I could do given the lack of experience I have with modeling. I am testing Afghanistan map in epoch and am waiting to switch to exile for it due to the limits I am having with the theme in epoch. Too much has been hardcoded in.

If you decide to use a USA theme, I would be all over it and help install it for use in dayz

• Like 1

It'd definitely beat Canada; keep walking north until the zombies chasing you freeze solid -- then contend with the more dangerous polar bears. B)

LOL

you have had your fair share of storms on the east coast. I hope the weather is doing good now :)

Canada theme would be all woods, and small towns, 10000 to 400000 until you hit the cities. It is so under populated compared to the USA meeting those massive cities. I wouldn't think a Canada map would work well other then its in NA. I would however agree that the USA has pretty much the same as we do, in regards to wooded areas and lots of snowy areas. Around the lakes it appears to be the worst where I live. North of Windsor.

Now you could do a Windsor, Detroit map crossing of the bridges :)

I would think huge over pass roads ruined by weather and explosion damages into the city would work well and NY reminds me of that going to the city.

Dallas, Denver, Washington so many to choose from.

Wilderness maps are easy to create because anyway you decide to put a tree it pretty much sums up NA lol Just name the map whatever you want it to be. I do agree making a cherno style USA map is not a bad idea, where you may have 4-5 cities close by and smaller cities towns.

Making buildings walk into, can be moded and scripted with loot spawning. Arma also has that by the dozens available to reference. I don't know what else we will be getting yet for tools.

With the recent talk of full Steam Workshop integration and modding for DayZ SA, I began to think about the possibilities this presents for us. Of particular interest to me is the idea of creating a new map. In my mind, a lot of the initial fun I had with DayZ came from exploring the map and discovering all of the unique and interesting things the world has to offer. So, with that in mind, I have decided to begin the design process for a new map. I want to begin the earliest phase now, the part where a lot gets written/scratched/scribbled/typed/spoken about, while mod tools are not yet available.

I will also likely begin looking for help from other community members with experience in modding and 3D modeling as the initial design phase comes to a close, so if you are interested in participating, please feel free to PM me.

For now, however, I'm interested in doing some brainstorming on overall themes. I want to know what kind of map you fellow DayZ enthusiasts would simply go nuts over. At this point, no idea is too bold. If you have an idea, mention it. This is not the part where we say that something is too big to implement, too little to make it worthwhile, too difficult, etc. Any and every idea can lend to a design decision at any point in development. The ideas in posts that have the highest number of beans given will later be put into a new thread and a poll, so make sure to give beans when you like an idea. Above all, please be respectful and remember to have fun with this. Go nuts!  :P

I am not sure exactly what Steam will be like to host some of the mods. Apparently if you read the Arma 3 forums at BI there has been many upset modders because of the steam rules. I know little about it but read some of the comments. Here is probably 1 topic on it and it will relate to Dayz in time.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?191001-Steam-workshop-policing-is-meant-to-work-how

If we follow the rules now it may save the modders a ton of grief in the future. Like I said I don't know much, I just read on it and was surprised about steams policy if you upload your mod it becomes the property or something like that of steam, valve. I would have to find that post somewhere and re read it.

Awareness is everything.

I would like to see a basic test map, with spawns for each and every item that is in the game.

This map can serve as a testing ground for weapons and vehicles and other such functions. It should have a target range, an airstrip, a mountain, basically one or more of everything.

If we can get a-hold of this kind of map in beta then bug testing becomes incredibly easy! Also players can learn to be effective through practice!

• Like 2

Funny story, I once made a arma2 mission just to prank my Canadian friend. Built a huge American base on the border of north Chernarus (flags, vehicles, AI, tents, everything). The borders of the edge of the map had barbed wire, the Canadian side had nothing except a tractor, wheelbarrow, chickens, and his playable character (who was the civ rube looking farmer). The mission started with the song Canadian Idiot by weird AL, while all the US marines danced to it and two Apaches came in and targeted him. We did allow him to enter our side and lead the mission to find the maple syrup recipe in Stary Sobor, which was heavily defended.   :P

This was a long time ago and have learned much since then. Have fun learning map making. I'm sure there is plenty to learn right now, with A3 before anything is released if you would want.

I'm not even a PvP type, but I still would like a map that had two large urban areas centralized in the map, with a mountainous area on one side and plains on the other. Have fun.