ColdAtrophy

DayZ SA Modding: A New Map

Well, since we are on internet videogame forums, probably not.

It's off topic for this thread and I'm trying to do something positive here. I don't normally say anything when people start derailing a thread, even my own, but this is important to me. Let's please try to stay on topic.

One other point that I always think important for creating community content. Do everything your way, don't do it for other people. If your doing it for yourself, it will never fell like work. It's better to listen to feedback after most of your vision is complete.

Edited by Coheed_IV

One other point that I always think important for creating community content. Do everything your way, don't do it for other people. If your doing it for yourself, it will never fell like work. It's better to listen to feedback after most of your vision is complete.

Brainstorming is better done with multiple people who share your interest or knowledge of the topic at hand. For example, let's say someone goes into detail about how they want a jungle themed map with ruins and a research station. Maybe that isn't the idea that gets used, but perhaps that suggestion later influences a decision to add a dense section of forest or a lab somewhere. Maybe this isn't the best example ever, but I think you can see what I'm getting at. It's sort of a chaos theory kind of thing. You never know what a person might say that could later inspire something you might not have thought of otherwise.

What I'm really trying to do here is a get a bead on what the community would find interesting. Over the years I've learned that if I were to make a game purely for myself and to my tastes alone, very few people would want to play it. I'm pretty particular and I'm not being pretentious or bragging. It usually means that I get 1-3 titles a year that I actually want to keep playing, if that. Last year sucked. I'm still playing BF4 from late 2013. Even with the problems it had, there just wasn't anything else out there to give me my shooter fix that I found to be deep enough to hold my interest. I still make a habit of playing through the most important games each year if they add something valuable to the industry whenever I get the chance. I just finally got the opportunity to play The Last Of Us, for example. Most of the top ten list of any given year are games that I don't find particularly interesting. That is not to say that I don't understand why people like CoD or GTA (just examples). I absolutely get it as I've devoted a lot of time to making sure I understand. It's just that I don't always enjoy the same kinds of experiences that others do.

So with that in mind, I just want to see what kinds of things people want to see in DayZ. I already see one trend emerging and not just from this thread. People, or at least Americans anyway, want an American map. That might be the best way to say it. I'm looking for trends at the moment. Common core concepts that underline the words written.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

I'm not even a PvP type, but I still would like a map that had two large urban areas centralized in the map, with a mountainous area on one side and plains on the other. Have fun. 

I was going to try to stay away from talking about my own ideas too, too much until a discussion really got going, but your suggestion touched on something kicking around in my head for awhile that might actually be able to satisfy a lot of the more common suggestions from the forums.

A snow covered map. A 15 level hidden miltary complex in and under a mountain. Rural sleepy mountain towns nestled around the mountain range. A transition to lower altitude. Plains eventually becoming miles of suburbia and a large city. 

I'm thinking Colorado I guess. Colorado Springs fits these ideas perfectly.

The scenery in the Rocky mountains is absolutely spectacular, but it is very difficult to traverse the terrain on foot. I think that the Appalachian chain is a more practical location, very beautiful, provides the potential for wild animals, thick forests and snow. Best of all, there is a precedent for large bunker facilities in this area.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2453894/The-secret-government-bunker-hidden-luxury-hotel-stocked-30-years-supplies-America-s-influential-alive-nuclear-fallout.html

My thought: A map with two rust belt towns, surrounded by mountains. For example, we could have something like Asheville in the SE corner and Knoxville in the NW corner, surrounded by the Smoky Mountains. By all means, throw in an underground bunker, several underground caverns (also indigenous to the area), small villages, lakes, rivers and because of the location, don't forget the diverse weather (rain, snow, fog - lots of fog, hurricane, and once in a while, a clear sunny day).

Since this is the ancestral home of the Cherokee, perhaps we could have some focus on native American type weapons, deerskin clothing, lodges and their hunting & farming lifestyle.

• Like 1

The scenery in the Rocky mountains is absolutely spectacular, but it is very difficult to traverse the terrain on foot.

I go to Colorado (west of Denver) every year, and I'm going in about a month again. I was actually thinking of Colorado when I posted earlier about two cities with mountains and plain on sides. I was thinking more Boulder and Fort Collins.

If you look around Denver or Colorado springs west is hilly quite abit before getting into the rockies, which yeah just too steep. But, it would be a great map border. Always loved Clafghan map, even though the AI didn't. There is some really good mountains in this terrain. Checkout 0:39, This is massive on foot though. I'm not sure sat map are best for DayZ.

Edited by Coheed_IV

With one of these bad boys

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

You CAN own a full auto. Or even build one with one of these cuties

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=490041020

It's perfectly legal with the correct paperwork (a Class III FFL is the one for full autos

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Machine+gun

Source- Currently applying for Class III, relatives and friends have owned full autos with these.

-Note to mods, the things I described and linked are legitimate and NOT illegal in any form, don't want the BATFE to raid y'all :P

So... you mean I was correct, you can not purchase such a gun without proper licenses? Thank you for supporting my statement.  <_<

Hello there

On topic please.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Never heard of those bottom four maps. Can you say some more about them?

On topic: Id like to see map made around Novigrad, with lots of swamps and river delta.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17539/QomProvince.png

hello there

Heres info on Everon and there's links at the bottom of the page for the others.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Everon

There are modern conversions available also.

Rgds

LoK

To be honest I would be ecstatic if someone made a new map for Dayz SA...just any map would do it for me. Im so tired of Chernarus, in fact alittle surprised they continue to work on it. Like beating a dead horse for me.

To be honest I would be ecstatic if someone made a new map for Dayz SA...just any map would do it for me. Im so tired of Chernarus, in fact alittle surprised they continue to work on it. Like beating a dead horse for me.

I have a feeling that there are a lot of people out there who probably feel exactly the same way you do, even if they still play it and don't voice that opinion. Eventually, fatigue is going to set in. It's inevitable. That's why building a new play space seems like a worthy goal.

Regional or rural South Africa. Map features could include buffalos and lions, open plains and hills with wild grass. Key locations could include a safari grounds, major cities, slums, an old concentration camp, an abandoned underground nuclear weapons silo, a gated town with heaps of civilian guns and tools and a diamond mine.

Regional or rural South Africa. Map features could include buffalos and lions, open plains and hills with wild grass. Key locations could include a safari grounds, major cities, slums, an old concentration camp, an abandoned underground nuclear weapons silo, a gated town with heaps of civilian guns and tools and a diamond mine.

This idea reminds me of another idea I had. I'd like to replace the zombie and aggressive wildlife AI with dinosaurs.

This

qGuYiUV.jpg

Plus this

mPyHsb3.jpg

Seems like the very thing BF fans have been asking DICE to create for years now.

So... you mean I was correct, you can not purchase such a gun without proper licenses? Thank you for supporting my statement. <_<

I actually was backing it up 3:

But on topic I'd love to see an official snowy/subarctic map.

And has anyone seen the new Oceania map made for A3? 1600 square kilometers... Altis is 250ish? Ooooommmmmmggggg

It'd be kind of a ripoff of stalker, but id love to see pripyat and the surrounding exclusion zone. There's something so fitting about the backdrop of a slowly crumbing city abandoned for 'round 2 decades that just fits so dam well :o

(not to mention all the fun we could have with the supporting lore and possible game mechanics.)

EX-99-123.640.jpg

prypiat-1990s-before-forest.gif

That urban area... and tell me it would be creepy as hell creeping thru those broken down apartment blocks in the dark!

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 2

It'd be kind of a ripoff of stalker, but id love to see pripyat and the surrounding exclusion zone. There's something so fitting about the backdrop of a slowly crumbing city abandoned for 'round 2 decades that just fits so dam well :o

I definitely thought about this too. A lot of the assets that already exist would still fit in quite well with this theme. That would mean less work on creating new models. The mod could include areas of excessively high radiation with gear added in to help protect your character. Also, since BI will be adding in aggressive wildlife in the future, that could be adapted to throw in mutated giant wolves.

As others have mentioned, a fully urban map would be very interesting.  The "cities" in DayZ barely rise to the level of tiny villages.  But, I'd think something really defined by it's geography, like Seattle, San Francisco, Hong Kong, Singapore, Stockholm or, if you don't want to go that large (as that seems like it would be a ton of work) Cadiz.  Just something that gives it some natural boundaries and divisions.  

Modding things like new maps will be the death of the Standalone game. Words, to be marked. This isn't Skyrim.

• Like 2

Modding things like new maps will be the death of the Standalone game. Words, to be marked. This isn't Skyrim.

New maps won't kill the game.  1000+ vehicles, guns, self blood bag, easy mode game will kill it.  Well, it'll bring a wave of new bads to play a non survival game.

Edited by leader.one
  • Like 3

Modding things like new maps will be the death of the Standalone game. Words, to be marked. This isn't Skyrim

Only if the people making those new maps have no care for design and balance AND the community wants that kind of an experience, in which case the Standalone was already doomed in one form or another anyway. There are plenty of games that have more than one single map to play on and I don't see any of them crashing down around themselves. 

Also, what leader.one said.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Only if the people making those new maps have no care for design and balance AND the community wants that kind of an experience, in which case the Standalone was already doomed in one form or another anyway. There are plenty of games that have more than one single map to play on and I don't see any of them crashing down around themselves. 

Also, what leader.one said.

Well, I'm sure we'll see a ton of small CoD type maps come modding time.

Nope. You'll just split and fracture the community into little niche servers that wont ever have healthy populations because everyone is playing their own version of DayZ. Exactly what happened to the mod.

• Like 3

Nope. You'll just split and fracture the community into little niche servers that wont ever have healthy populations because everyone is playing their own version of DayZ. Exactly what happened to the mod.

I agree with you on that but it's too late, the devs stated modding is coming so deal with it.

Don't you dare tell me to deal with it pal, I'm voicing my opinion.

• Like 1

Don't you dare tell me to deal with it pal, I'm voicing my opinion.

And your opinion doesn't matter any more.  It would've mattered if they were still thinking about it but they aren't.  Modding is going to happen.

The very reason DayZ became popular was because BIS fully embraced modding for ArmA 2. You could have made the same argument back then; "This is supposed to be a realistic representation of actual military combat, so why the fuck are we allowing people to run around looting and fighting zombies?" There are very few highly active vanilla ArmA 2 servers - even most of the dedicated communities play on versions with their own modpacks to improve the experience, yet I've seen far fewer people complaining about ArmA's mods than I have for DayZ.

People will just gravitate towards the style of gameplay they like, but there are tons of active DayZ mod servers of all different kinds - sure, it might be hard to find active players on one particular subset all the time, but the vast majority of people get along just fine.

That's not to mention that open modding is what keeps a lot of people here. The people who get bored with the vanilla version and go to modded versions will just leave the game if no alternatives are available. It's not like it'll make a huge difference to the vanilla population in the long run.